Defense - is it just me?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Defense - is it just me?

All I hear is how bad our defense is but am I the only one who thinks we've been actually playing pretty well, or at the very least better than expected?

Like we're obviously going to give up a lot of points, that's what happens when we play at the pace we play. The other team is going to have a lot more possessions if we're playing this fast which means they're obviously gong to score more and that obviously has a huge affect on our defensive stats.

I don't care what anyone says the refs have been horrible, like Luke said we're scoring 70 ppg in the paint alone but getting absolutely no calls and lets not even talk about the calls Houston got like that's going to skew our defensive stats.

But is our actual defense really that bad? I think the only thing that really stands out was Stauskas getting open shots and having a career night but iono maybe it's just me and we are really bad on D but I've been impressed by Hart and Javalle and Lonzo on D.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Yes, it’s that bad.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Our defense is a non entity.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Yes, it’s that bad.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Lakers are 26th in defensive efficiency this season. Was tied for 17th last season. We played at high pace last season as well(2nd highest, tied with the Suns). Defense has been crap so far this season.

We were dead last in defensive efficiency in Luke's 1st season and 6th in pace.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

I would not take too much from the stats through three games. The sample size is too small, and we have a lot of new faces on the team. We can turn all of this around fairly quickly.

With that said, here are the stats that jump out:

DRtg 118.3 (26 of 30)

Opponent 3P% .411 (+.065 from last year)

Opponent eFG% .546 (24 of 30)

Opponent offensive rebounds 12.3 per game (up 20.4% from last year)

DRB% 75.2 (17 of 30)

So the narrative is that we are getting burned from the perimeter and are leaky on the defensive boards. There are other stats that are positive, like blocks and opponent 2P%. Luke gets some support from the FT/FGA stat, which shows us at 23 of 30 in the league on offense and 29 of 30 in the league on defense. Conspiracy theories aside, that should improve.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

It's good around the rim. It's mostly bad everywhere else. I'd stick to opponent FG%, 3ptFG%, Opponent rebounding (differential).

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

I see improvement for sure but we still need to get that backup vet center at some point if we want to really have a chance against any team and any lineup imo.

The rebounding has been the atrocious part more then anything. There's been countless possessions where they looked really good and cause a miss but they allow the offensive rebound and the opposition gets an easy basket whether it's a 3 or 2.. If we could shore up the rebounding problem even just a bit we would be middle of the road defensively I believe.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm not seeing any defense, interior or otherwise.

Lakers are giving up 58 points in the paint per game. 3rd worst in the league.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject:

NO REBOUNDS -- crap defense.....plain and simple.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

D has been fairly putrid. For every 1 good stretch they play,2 poor ones come along right after.

The analogy I've used for this team I still think sticks - they're like a football defense that, if not getting lots of turnovers, gives up lots of points.

The only silver lining in all this is they have been in every single game, all the way deep into the 4th (if not outright winning). The bad thing is I have not really seen much improvement. Honestly, the best defensive stretch I've seen was what they did to close out versus the Nuggets. Outside of that, it's been really miss alot and hit here and there.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
It's good around the rim. It's mostly bad everywhere else.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Horrible defense.
Horrible rebounding.
Horrible ball movement.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense - is it just me?

Day wrote:
All I hear is how bad our defense is but am I the only one who thinks we've been actually playing pretty well, or at the very least better than expected?

Like we're obviously going to give up a lot of points, that's what happens when we play at the pace we play. The other team is going to have a lot more possessions if we're playing this fast which means they're obviously gong to score more and that obviously has a huge affect on our defensive stats.

I don't care what anyone says the refs have been horrible, like Luke said we're scoring 70 ppg in the paint alone but getting absolutely no calls and lets not even talk about the calls Houston got like that's going to skew our defensive stats.

But is our actual defense really that bad? I think the only thing that really stands out was Stauskas getting open shots and having a career night but iono maybe it's just me and we are really bad on D but I've been impressed by Hart and Javalle and Lonzo on D.

Every NBA teams defense is Crap this year thus far. Have you noticed. we are not getting blown out by these teams. its us dropping the numbers on them, and them dropping the numbers on us.

whats the difference between us and them? usually we have one dynamic mega star to their at minimum two allstars. which means they will get those calls to edge out any win. since its obvious the nba does not want anyone playing defense any more.

So we're basically a star away from these wins.

In addition. we are a new team full of new faces trying to figure one another out as well as luke's system on both ends. these other teams we're BARELY losing to have already been together with their players and systems. To be as close as we are under those circumstances says a lot about our team.

we havent lost a single game we were not supposed to lose. but we did win a game we were not supposed to win.

RIght now, we're on task for the Zion sweepstakes. odds are we will rack up too many wins to be a lotto team and yes we'll make the playoffs. But truth is, as sad as it is. it would be lovely for us to tank ...one more time. get zion(if we're lucky), and still get AD in the off season. thats the kind of star power we need to combat any and all nba opponents.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Giving up a ton of points in the paint. 3rd worst in the league.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
ingle wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Giving up a ton of points in the paint. 3rd worst in the league.

Is it related to the fact we give up so many offensive rebounds to bigs under the basket?

Actually should say our D around the rim is good around the rim when McGee is in the game.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense - is it just me?

splashmtn wrote:
Day wrote:

Every NBA teams defense is Crap this year thus far. Have you noticed. we are not getting blown out by these teams. its us dropping the numbers on them, and them dropping the numbers on us.

whats the difference between us and them? usually we have one dynamic mega star to their at minimum two allstars. which means they will get those calls to edge out any win. since its obvious the nba does not want anyone playing defense any more.

In addition. we are a new team full of new faces trying to figure one another out as well as luke's system on both ends. these other teams we're BARELY losing to have already been together with their players and systems. To be as close as we are under those circumstances says a lot about our team.

we havent lost a single game we were not supposed to lose. but we did win a game we were not supposed to win.

RIght now, we're on task for the Zion sweepstakes. odds are we will rack up too many wins to be a lotto team and yes we'll make the playoffs. But truth is, as sad as it is. it would be lovely for us to tank ...one more time. get zion(if we're lucky), and still get AD in the off season. thats the kind of star power we need to combat any and all nba opponents.

Everything was good until the last paragraph. You sound like those Knicks fans getting delusional. We already got Lebron and a young core. Time to win and get to the playoff and make some noise . Enough to entice a marquee free agent next year.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense - is it just me?

Day wrote:

I'm sorry the defense is horrible and scoring a lot of points means nothing if you can't stop the other team when you want to. We're a last place team defensively and will probable end up in the bottom of the standings Lebron or no Lebron. Until we get a defensive coach that teaches these guys some toughness on the defensive end where we can actually get stops when we want to, we're not going to win many games.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Horrible defense.
Horrible rebounding.
Horrible ball movement.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject:

I can't stress enough how bad our defensive rebounding is. Bigs eat us alive. And those 2nd and 3rd chances are killing us.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense - is it just me?

CRoost wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Day wrote:

Everything was good until the last paragraph. You sound like those Knicks fans getting delusional. We already got Lebron and a young core. Time to win and get to the playoff and make some noise . Enough to entice a marquee free agent next year.
no. i sound realistic. making noise in the playoffs means absolutely nothing to a laker fan thats seen multiple championships. sure it would be nice for the kids to get their feet wet and all. but, we have an issue with too many thin guys who just can't hold their man off to keep the refs at bay. that is always going to be an issue for this team as long as we have the kids that we chose. i tried to look the other way on it and every time i see it over and over again. it makes us have to overcompensate for at least 2 guys defensively every game. the nba is no longer a league where you can lock someone up. but you do need to keep someone from just scoring at will on you. and you surely can't have multiple guys scoring like its nothing all night long. and its not cause our guys are bad defensively. its mostly due to our guys builds. super duper thin and light in the butt.
SO that means in order to get back to our winning ways where we're almost assured of victory. we are going to have to get some guys with meat on their bones like a Kawhi, and surely like a zion.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject:

i don't like our defensive strageties. still trying to figure it out what it is. whatever it is, it hasn't been working.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
It's good around the rim. It's mostly bad everywhere else. I'd stick to opponent FG%, 3ptFG%, Opponent rebounding (differential).

Is it LeBron?
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject:

Look no further then Kyle Kuzma (2nd in minutes) and Rajon Rondo (4th in minutes). When you have two defensive liabilities top 5 in minutes, with Lebron James (who isn't much better himself in the regular season) then you're not going to be a good team.

Hart, Lonzo, Ingram and McGee can play both ends of the floor. But they're not good enough to make up for 3 (bleep) defenders on a consistent basis.

Rondo and Kuzma should get around 25 minutes per game unless they're not being defensive liabilities.
jmnluvr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject:

Effort is in general poor (including and maybe because of Lebron), and we are getting absolutely destroyed in individual matchups (poor coaching decisions leaving player exposed and generally disorganized help defense).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: