Official Isaac Bonga Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Bonga is learning FAST. He's kind of too good for G-League. He should just use the time as skills development.

Mike _at_ lg, I am surprised by your comment at Isaac Bonga. I thought you were initially not high on him?

I wasn't. The limited footage I saw basically replayed the same halfcourt play every time. His shot chart was exactly 3 locations and nowhere else, all based on the same play. He traveled roughly 5x during Vegas Pro League, usually off the initial touch.

The one thing he had going for him was that he's the first player I've ever seen make EVERY single PnR read/option/pass on VERY limited volume. That was super impressive.

During the preseason, he showed some actual comfort out there. His mind/learning process is fast, and that part, you can't scout. Initial comparisons to Kyle Anderson still kind of make me gag, (personally because I liked almost a handful of prospects ahead of him), but some muscle and a set-shot 3-pointer would go miles for him. He actually really tries on defense, especially in Iso, but gets pushed around by everybody.

But when a guy's process time -> action is that fast, you don't want him slowing down at the G-League level and regressing the time.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject:

Bonga has real potential given his age and the intangibles he brings. Jesse Buss and staff have been incredible. They have had consistent hits and put our team back on the map. I would hope we NEVER trade another pick away again since these picks are so valuable.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject:

^I think this year's pick is good as gone. There will definitely be some movement with this roster.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject:

It is great to see Bonga doing well and growing into the game so fast. I also love the stories about him being in the gym at all hours working on his game.

Seems he already has superior court vision and is willing to play defense and has the long arms to do it well.

Bonga was the scouting staff lotto ticket. It was clear he needed time to develop and he came with Ball like court vision, and a big lean body that was used to playing point guard.

From the beginning I thought he would be fun to watch develop but it looks like he is going to show us some real growth pretty quick. He is in a great environment to learn and grow so this should be fun. Plus he adds some intrigue with that old man face planted on that young man's body. Hope he adds a couple of more inches but looks to be at least a solid 6'9".
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Bonga is learning FAST. He's kind of too good for G-League. He should just use the time as skills development.

Mike [AT] lg, I am surprised by your comment at Isaac Bonga. I thought you were initially not high on him?

I wasn't. The limited footage I saw basically replayed the same halfcourt play every time. His shot chart was exactly 3 locations and nowhere else, all based on the same play. He traveled roughly 5x during Vegas Pro League, usually off the initial touch.

The one thing he had going for him was that he's the first player I've ever seen make EVERY single PnR read/option/pass on VERY limited volume. That was super impressive.

During the preseason, he showed some actual comfort out there. His mind/learning process is fast, and that part, you can't scout. Initial comparisons to Kyle Anderson still kind of make me gag, (personally because I liked almost a handful of prospects ahead of him), but some muscle and a set-shot 3-pointer would go miles for him. He actually really tries on defense, especially in Iso, but gets pushed around by everybody.

But when a guy's process time -> action is that fast, you don't want him slowing down at the G-League level and regressing the time.

People have said Lebron is a basketball savant, but he became that over the years. That’s why he can get 29/10/8 while looking like he’s not trying.

However, Bonga is showing that he’s a basketball savant at 18 years of age. Magic is not trading his prized draft pick. #untouchable
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Mike [ at ] lg, I am surprised by your comment at Isaac Bonga. I thought you were initially not high on him?

Maybe unfair to ask at this point but where would Bonga slot in your draft rankings as compared to Melton, Shamet, ...
Mamba&Magic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

Great question and I'd love to hear the input as well. Excited for this kids (and thusly, ours!) future.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

If Bonga turns into a pretty good player, that definitely becomes part of the lore for the scouting dept/front office. He's a guy they found and went out and got.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:

I like him but see him as someone the org will trade for the win now LBJ window.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Mike @ lg, I am surprised by your comment at Isaac Bonga. I thought you were initially not high on him?

Maybe unfair to ask at this point but where would Bonga slot in your draft rankings as compared to Melton, Shamet, ...

Bonga looked good but he still has a very long way to go. The Suns are one of the worst teams in the NBAGL. However he has improved since his less-than stellar debut in SL.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Mike _at_ lg, I am surprised by your comment at Isaac Bonga. I thought you were initially not high on him?

I didn't rank him tbh. The limited PT I was able to see with the limited sample size wouldn't have been fair. Several posters had mentioned him to me during the draft process, but as mentioned earlier, it was the same halfcourt set, with the same 3 spots on the shot chart, which did not look great. He's easy to see fluidity with his athleticism, but I didn't see twitch, I didn't see strength, I didn't see vertical, and I didn't see speed. Relatable comps were similar to say, Kyle Anderson (but Slo Mo had awesome defensive hustle numbers) and Shaun Livingston (who isn't the same guy post knee injury but a solid player).

My draft list is here:
http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=184718

I had Melton ranked #17, because he had unique athletic traits and I felt he had average guard skills, but felt he would make immediate impact defensively.

Shamet dropped to the mid-30s, because there was concern of shooting off-motion. He learned A LOT from JJ Redick on the 76ers and Embiid/Simmons draw a lot of gravity, so he's getting the right shots for his talent.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Mike (@) lg, I am surprised by your comment at Isaac Bonga. I thought you were initially not high on him?

I didn't rank him tbh. The limited PT I was able to see with the limited sample size wouldn't have been fair. Several posters had mentioned him to me during the draft process, but as mentioned earlier, it was the same halfcourt set, with the same 3 spots on the shot chart, which did not look great. He's easy to see fluidity with his athleticism, but I didn't see twitch, I didn't see strength, I didn't see vertical, and I didn't see speed. Relatable comps were similar to say, Kyle Anderson (but Slo Mo had awesome defensive hustle numbers) and Shaun Livingston (who isn't the same guy post knee injury but a solid player).

My draft list is here:
http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=184718

I had Melton ranked #17, because he had unique athletic traits and I felt he had average guard skills, but felt he would make immediate impact defensively.

Shamet dropped to the mid-30s, because there was concern of shooting off-motion. He learned A LOT from JJ Redick on the 76ers and Embiid/Simmons draw a lot of gravity, so he's getting the right shots for his talent.

Sorry I wasn't more clear with my question.

Now that you have had the opportunity to watch him play in pre-season and possibly his first gleague game where would you slot him in your draft listing?
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject:

kb24GOAT wrote:
dude looks like he's 40 years old

Are we doing this again? Really?

It's entirely about the camera angle; some pictures he looks like a kid, some angles he looks older.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Half Time: South Bay 54 Kings 59

Bonga: 10 Points 2 Assists 3 Rebounds 1 Block 3-7 FGs 2-2 3PT
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
kb24GOAT wrote:
dude looks like he's 40 years old

Are we doing this again? Really?

It's entirely about the camera angle; some pictures he looks like a kid, some angles he looks older.

never seen an angle where he didn't look 50
ibitegirls
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Bonga is looking good in South Bay Laker's first game
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Isaac Bonga scored 22 points, 2-3 3 pointers and corralled 8 rebounds. He just outscored and outrebounded Moe Wagner tonight.

Not bad for an 18 yr old rookie.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject:

A far cry from the summer camp comments to say the least. I'm
happy to see Bonga progressing and hope it translates later to
the NBA. GOOD STUFF.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
Isaac Bonga scored 22 points, 2-3 3 pointers and corralled 8 rebounds. He just outscored and outrebounded Moe Wagner tonight.

Update the box score!

I’m seeing 27 points on 9/14 shooting 9 reb 3 assists 2 blocks
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:

Update the box score!

Even better!!
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DX6LeyHXK8Y
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:

Update the box score!

Wow.

I'm taking a hit off the Bonga.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:

Update the box score!

Wow.

I'm taking a hit off the Bonga.

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Mr. untouchable!

He’s going to lead the Lakers to many championships. It’s destiny.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject:

We might be grooming an in-house replacement for backup pg next year. The way we pick up steals in draft, we may never need to overpay for role players. Imagine getting two or more rotation players every year for free.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 37 of 53
Jump to: