Luke Walton had his best coaching game last night
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Like Pat Riley was to Spoelstra?
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
^This isn't necessarily about being right. You have one perception, I have another. I just think it's funny when you say, "The Lakers didn't play a point guard!" when LeBron's first game in the league, was at point guard. With every team since, he initiates the offense and closes games. They've won titles. I think that's plenty enough qualification.

You want to blame a bad lineup? My problem with that is, bad lineups don't directly lead to bad shot selection. It can help or hurt, but BI taking shots over McCollum that looked forced? I thought we were supposed to take advantage of mismatches, are we not?

You say you know what a point guard does, and yes, the Lakers have capable ones. I count LeBron as one of them. I mean, doesn't Jokic initiate the offense for Denver? They're all still initiators.

You're also looking at offense, when defense was the issue. Set plays don't lead to bad shots. Players are the ones that make the decisions. That is not a coaching issue. That is a player issue.

The funny part is the play that fixed this, wasn't Rondo initiating the offense. It was still LeBron. They just ran the same pick and roll with Rondo as the "big" and was successful roughly half of the time anyway.

So, even Rondo on the floor didn't exactly solve the issues.

1. Lineups matter. Stats back this up; you're welcome to share stats that contradict this. This was a particularly bad lineup, especially for this matchup. The lineup NETRTGs of -200 and -80 indicate that this is not just an opinion.

2. I ran my arguments on facts. You countered with your opinion. You are entitled to it.

2. I wasn't just talking about offense. NETRTG is both OFFENSE and DEFENSE. And this lineup was a problem defensively also. But they couldn't guard Lillard or McCollum all night. Certainly a point GUARD wouldn't help with this.

3. You say "non-traditional offense" and I see very good transition offense without set plays and a half-court offense that gets bogged down into iso-play and takes bad shots. I think this is also a coaching (or lack thereof) issue.

4. LBJ isn't the same player as he was the first day of the league. Sure I'd love to have that kid to grow with the current Laker kids, but that's not the Lebron that the Lakers have.

5. "Rondo on the floor didn't exactly solve these issues." Rondo's +/- of +28 begs to differ. Facts, not opinion.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

StoicChalice392 wrote:
Like Pat Riley was to Spoelstra?

Yeah, I don't know how Pat Riley treats Spoelstra. I thought he gave him alot of freedom and space.

But if he doesn't I can also see why. Spoelstra was Pat Riley's assistant coach. They come from the same coaching tree. They have the same coaching philosophy.

It'd be like if Luke Walton took over Golden State and Steve Kerr moved up to be the GM. Then I can see Kerr yelling at Walton because they have the same coaching philosophy.

If Pat Riley were to hire Phil Jackson, I can't see Riley chewing out Phil Jackson. Their coaching philosophies are so different.

Walton's coaching philosophy is his philosophy. You hire (or keep a coach) based on whether you feel his coaching philosophy works or not. What else does a coach have aside from his philosophy?

You don't hire Phil Jackson and make him run the princeton offense. And you don't make a coach change his philosphies mid-season. I don't like your offensive schemes, change them? Then what is he then if not for his schemes?

"ok guys, today, we're going to change our schemes. These were some schemes given to me by Magic. Let's see if I understand them. You know what, let me call Magic down here and he'll better explain these schemes. So from now on, we'll be running these schemes implemented by Magic Johnson guys. I'll still be the coach, but none of these schemes are mine. Magic gave them to me and forcing me to teach them to you guys. I think they're called showtime or something, I'm not sure. Ok, so it looks like Ingram, you're on the bench now. Hart, you're starting according to Magic. And, Lonzo, let's see... ok, looks like you'll be standing over here more, instead of over here like I wanted you to.. Ok, hmmmm, let's see, ok, JaVale, we're going to be posting you up more. And, let's see.... ok, looks like we're taking less three pointers fellas. So, no more three pointers. We're going to be playing something called inside out now. Oh, cool, LeBron, looks like you're going to be posting up alot more. Ok, guys, that's the plan."

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Rondo had foul problems. Lonzo had played awful.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject:

And yes, back on topic, this was his best coaching of the year. Hope him and the team continue getting better.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

LeBron isn't guarding Dame or CJ, I think that's part of his point. He could've put Zo in I guess but in this same thread others are saying Zo should be benched when he's having the kind of game he was. I think Luke has his flaws but a lot of coaching decisions are catch 22s like that.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: