OFFICIAL KYLE got traded for westbrook KUZMA THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 380, 381, 382 ... 878, 879, 880  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
29% from 3 is disturbing

27% from 3

your avi
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
Saw this on reddit:

According to advanced stats, Kuzma is having a worse defensive season than the 34 year old Carmelo Anthony

I still can't understand why he's starting

Defensive Box Plus-Minus: Kuzma is worst amongst all starting forwards. Carmelo is 3rd

Defensive Win Shares : Kuzma and Carmelo are tied for second worst

Defensive Rating : Kuzma is tied for second worst. Carmelo is third worst.

That Kuz and Lebron combo on defense is hilarious. And people wonder why we're so bad on that end.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
Saw this on reddit:

According to advanced stats, Kuzma is having a worse defensive season than the 34 year old Carmelo Anthony

I still can't understand why he's starting

Defensive Box Plus-Minus: Kuzma is worst amongst all starting forwards. Carmelo is 3rd

Defensive Win Shares : Kuzma and Carmelo are tied for second worst

Defensive Rating : Kuzma is tied for second worst. Carmelo is third worst.

That Kuz and Lebron combo on defense is hilarious. And people wonder why we're so bad on that end.

The defense as a team is terrible the communication is bad especially on screens A lot of it is scheme when to switch when to fight thru the screen and stay with your man like the Celtics do The rotations are often to late Kuz and Lebron completely lose sight of there man a lot Kuz is very poor at boxing out Even Lonzo's defense has fallen off this year This team as a whole needs to put in a lot of work to get better defensively.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma, more and more, is becoming a twenty minute a game, off-the-bench, offensive spark plug. I have him, unless he’s on fire, only playing with James a handful of minutes per game. One frontcourt sieve in the game at a time.
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject:

It’s funny how people get offended to the Clarkson comparisons. I honestly don’t know the difference, both were good cutters and moved well off the ball, both have noted how easy it is to shoot 3s but shoot a horrendous %, both are terrible terrible defenders, they’re both good in transition. Like they even almost look alike. I know we have bad memories of Clarkson and want to fight it but just accept it. Yet the national media somehow believes he’s better than ingram. Not like Ingram is lighting up the league but cmon..
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma plays better off the ball than Clarkson and better size. Both are terrible defenders.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject:

That 36 point game was nice and all, but he needs to be coming off the bench. He’s lightning in a bottle. Some games he will go off and play over thirty minutes, while other games he’ll barely play twenty, and that’s perfectly fine.

Until he learns to play defense, he can’t play big minutes with James unless he’s on fire offensively. It’s as simple as that.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
That 36 point game was nice and all, but he needs to be coming off the bench. He’s lightning in a bottle. Some games he will go off and play over thirty minutes, while other games he’ll barely play twenty, and that’s perfectly fine.

Until he learns to play defense, he can’t play big minutes with James unless he’s on fire offensively. It’s as simple as that.

I definitely agree with this take. He’s better fit with Lebron but our problem is defense and Kuz is just terrible at this moment. I think Hart should start, he’s much better on switches and help defense. Kuz should be that microwave off the bench so to speak. It’s better balance, Ingram can go back to help while Lebron is laidbacking on D instead of going through screens and rabbit chasing.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

I dont follow college basketball at all. But is this a common occurence? How does one go from first team all defense to a defensive liability? Is it the switch everything scheme? Or was it simply lesser competition?

https://utahutes.com/news/2017/3/6/mens-basketball-kuzma-named-to-all-pac-12-first-team.aspx
Yellow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject:

Kuzma is indisputably more useful than Clarkson. Clarkson dominates the ball at the expense of his teammates. For all his defensive flaws, Kuzma works within the flow of an offense.

Clarkson is averaging .9 assists per game and 1.1 turnovers per game. His on-off is an atrocious -14 on a team that is horrible irrespective of who is in the game.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject:

If all our players are looking worst on defense....then it may be the scheme as the major problem. Kuzma is my favorite Laker of the young group. He has that spark. I have faith he will figure it out. Hopefully Magic lights that fire under Luke to bring in some type of defensive guru to sure up that end.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject:

Not sure what's going on with Kuz, because he has all the tools to be, at least, a respectable defender. My opinion is that it's a combination of things. I agree with other posters, who stated that it's more of a team oriented problem, than an individual one. Though, individual mistakes do compound the problem.

Additionally, I think Kuz let's his offensive woes bleed into his commitment on defense. When he's getting touches/buckets, he gets energized. When he's just drifting on offense, he'll drift on defense, too.

One of Luke's challenge's is to get the team on a cohesive page, on both ends of the court, because that synergy is needed. Especially for players like Kuz, who feed off their offense.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject:

How would benching Kuz improve defense if he's replaced by Hart?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:

I'm guessing there are those who feel a lineup of, Zo, Hart, B.I., LeBron, and McGee, is better defensively than, Zo, B.I., LeBron, Kuzma, McGee. Have we seen that first lineup, with Hart, in action? I honestly can't remember...
ibij
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

Lebron is the problem but he is old...
lonzobryant
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject:

I thought we played our best basketball when we had a lineup of Zo/Hart/LeBron/Kuz/McGee
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

lonzobryant wrote:
I thought we played our best basketball when we had a lineup of Zo/Hart/LeBron/Kuz/McGee

Sunday night?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

lonzobryant wrote:

Offensively I think that might be one of our best fits but defensively there is still a big hole because of Lebron/Kuzma
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:

Because Hart is a better defender than Kuzma. If you can’t see that, I’m not sure if there’s anything I or anyone else can say to make you think otherwise. You’ll figure it out eventually though. I’m sure of it.

Funny how Hart gets smoked in space on the perimeter a handful of times this year and now we’re supposed to “eat and digest” the narrative that he’s a horrific defender on the level of Kuzma.

George Bush was right: If you say things over and over, eventually “the people” will accept it as truth ... even if it’s a completely ridiculous sentiment.

We’re all such sheep (including, at times, myself).
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
defense wrote:
Fracture wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
29% from 3 is disturbing

27% from 3

Lonzo has a higher true shooting percentage that Kuz

that is bad

both are struggling so far...

What? Lonzo is shooting 46% and 41% from 3pt. What games are you watching?
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
manlisten wrote:

Because Hart is a better defender than Kuzma. If you can’t see that, I’m not sure if there’s anything I or anyone else can say to make you think otherwise. You’ll figure it out eventually though. I’m sure of it.

Funny how Hart gets smoked in space on the perimeter a handful of times this year and now we’re supposed to “eat and digest” the narrative that he’s a horrific defender on the level of Kuzma.

George Bush was right: If you say things over and over, eventually “the people” will accept it as truth ... even if it’s a completely ridiculous sentiment.

We’re all such sheep (including, at times, myself).

Agreed. And Baaaaa.

Hart is a more committed, energentic, and stronger defender. He's a better post defender, which is sorta sad. Yes, he is a bad defender on 1-on-1 now, but he can and will improve because he cares. Defense is mostly work and willpower.

Replacing Hart and Kuzma would help the defense, and help the offense. Kuz should continue to get some run with Lebron though. Maybe Chandler can help in the post - he's less of a risk-taker than McGee - and they can run a LBJ-Kuz-Chandler lineup.
KiwiinCali
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

I think context is important with rating Kuzma (from an admitted huge fan of Kuz) and realizing where this team is overall - still adjusting to Lebron, not really having strong set offensive/defensive schemes. Kuz needs to work on his defensive technique and timing but effort doesn't appear to be lacking.

If you like cranjis mcbasketball POE metric - which accounts for average points based on type of shot taken/defended to determine efficiency of offense/defense.

http://bball-index.com/18-poe/

Kuz's strengths (offense) and weakness (defense) is pretty evident and overall he's not horrible

CPOE = 0.5
DPOE = 0.9
TPOE = -0.4

For reference point (our young guys)
Lonzo = 0 (CPOE = 0.6 and DPOE 0.6)
BI = -1.2 (CPOE = -0.8 and DPOE 0.4)
Hart = -0.4 (CPOE = 0.4 and DPOE 0.7)

(around Kuzma's -0.4 with significant possessions by game)
DeAaron Fox = -0.3
Westbrook = -0.4
Nurkic = -0.4
CP3 = -0.6
Dragic = -0.6

Our sample size is also small so - guys who have career night (looking at you Ibaka) and having to play against a lot of above/at/below average guys can skew things.
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, is he still considered a stretch 4?

He seems like he's regressing to what he always was, he never shot above 32% from 3 in Utah and he's basically bricking everything he's shooting right now from 3.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Sometimes I can't stand him.
Sometimes I hate him.
Sometimes I want him to keep shooting.

I wish I felt like #3 more often.
LB2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Offensively Kuz is the ideal forward next to Lebron. Tries harder than anyone to get open cause he knows Lebron will find him, and he just flat out loves scoring. I don't see the same kind of chemistry building with BI until he gets that Mamba Mentality.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 380, 381, 382 ... 878, 879, 880  Next
Page 381 of 880
Jump to: