Luke Walton Is Not to Blame for the LA Lakers' Slow Start with LeBron James

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Luke Walton Is Not to Blame for the LA Lakers' Slow Start with LeBron James

Hey all,

ICYMI: Luke Walton Is Not to Blame for the LA Lakers' Slow Start with LeBron James @BleacherReport https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804181-luke-walton-is-not-to-blame-for-the-la-lakers-slow-start-with-lebron-james

Cheers,

EP
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Good, I'm glad it's finally settled.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

I hope Taj Gibson talk is real, he is exactly what we need at the back up position, but I won’t mind if our back up C ends up being Chandler.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I hope Taj Gibson talk is real, he is exactly what we need at the back up position, but I won’t mind if our back up C ends up being Chandler.

You heard a Taj rumor?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

You heard a Taj rumor?

Emplay mentioned him twice on Hollywood Hoops pod and now on BR..
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Luke Walton Is Not to Blame for the LA Lakers' Slow Start with LeBron James

emplay wrote:
Hey all,

ICYMI: Luke Walton Is Not to Blame for the LA Lakers' Slow Start with LeBron James @BleacherReport https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804181-luke-walton-is-not-to-blame-for-the-la-lakers-slow-start-with-lebron-james

Cheers,

EP

akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject:

👍
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Hahahhahahhahhahahah Luke deserves plenty of blame.

I dig threads that say "Don't blame Luke" like the players sub themselves into the game.
Vampirate
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:

I dig threads that say "Don't blame Luke" like the players sub themselves into the game.

Lakers' record when Zo plays more minutes than Rondo: 3-1 (the one loss was by a single point)

Lakers' record when Rondo plays more minutes than Zo: 1-5

How does Walton still not recognize the pattern?
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

Vampirate wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

Lakers' record when Zo plays more minutes than Rondo: 3-1 (the one loss was by a single point)

Hahahhahahhahhahahah Magic deserves way more blame than Luke.
I dig threads that say "Luke is to blame" Like luke picked ANY of these players that he has to sub in (on a personal note, I love when an einstein pedestrian thinks he knows more than a guy who is actually in the nba, Vs. working at a walmart or something but I digress) For Example, Magic could pick a team
of: Carrot top, dustin diamond, the my pillow guy, and two Jonas brothers and people would still harp on Luke rather than the guy who chose that roster.

How do fans still not recognize the pattern of their bias because Luke isn't Phil?
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

I dig threads that say "Luke is to blame" Like luke picked ANY of these players that he has to sub in (on a personal note, I love when an einstein pedestrian thinks he knows more than a guy who is actually in the nba, Vs. working at a walmart or something but I digress) For Example, Magic could pick a team
of: Carrot top, dustin diamond, the my pillow guy, and two Jonas brothers and people would still harp on Luke rather than the guy who chose that roster.

How do fans still not recognize the pattern of their bias because Luke isn't Phil?

It doesn't help your argument to just make (bleep) up. YOUR bias shows when you try to make a false equivalence of things that are clearly not similar as your example.

All the players brought in are solid contributing NBA players with championship/playoff experience. Outside of KCP, there was not even a whiff of playoff previously on the entire team.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

It doesn't help your argument to just make (bleep) up. YOUR bias shows when you try to make a false equivalence of things that are clearly not similar as your example.

All the players brought in are solid contributing NBA players with championship/playoff experience. Outside of KCP, there was not even a whiff of playoff previously on the entire team.

Uhhh, Luke and Madsen had two rings guy... Omission isn't "making things up", so I guess you're safe
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

Uhhh, Luke and Madsen had two rings guy... Omission isn't "making things up", so I guess you're safe

NBA players with championship/playoff experience
Maybe reading isn't your strong point?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

Hopefully with Chandler set to play on Wednesday we feed off his energy (which is bound to happen, especially when he’s playing in a place he grew up) I think we can go on a blitzing winning run, Chandler is gonna be really good for this team and the team will follow suit.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

This will be my last response chief, then you can "have the last word" I'm becoming bored.
If you think for one moment, you have somehow "won the internets" for saying I can't read well- congrats tough guy, "ya got me"
But by all means, conveniently ignore that you're an armchair quarterback criticizing a guy who actually made the NBA as a player, and coach. Luke Walton would light you up in a contest of playing, coaching, and no offense there, Warren Buffet- but financially as well...
But keep on criticizing him because it's your money the Lakers are spending on him amirite?!
Game.
Set.
Match.
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

This will be my last response chief, then you can "have the last word" I'm becoming bored.
If you think for one moment, you have somehow "won the internets" for saying I can't read well- congrats tough guy, "ya got me"
But by all means, conveniently ignore that you're an armchair quarterback criticizing a guy who actually made the NBA as a player, and coach. Luke Walton would light you up in a contest of playing, coaching, and no offense there, Warren Buffet- but financially as well...
But keep on criticizing him because it's your money the Lakers are spending on him amirite?!
Game.
Set.
Match.

Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Good article!
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Whoever's decision it was to start Ingram at the 2 defensively should be forced to be an assistant in high school for a season before being allowed to return to the league. If Jim Cleamons was humble enough to do it, so should any of our staff/FO.

Somebody should've put a cape on BI last night, with all of his fly-bys on attempted contests of perimeter shots. Green had him bite twice on one play. On the plus side, it was a very successful audition for the starring role in the next Superman reboot.
kasonuma
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Luke is absolutely to be blamed for lakers bad plays

Boy do i have lot to say about Luke. Luke does not know how to teach offense it can be proven bc lakers half court set is a mess they got no system no scheme its all pass to lebron or iso ball. you hardly got ball movement and any1 and i repeat any1 can teach a team to play the run and gun style offense. But heres the thing luke is insisting lakers run and play fast pace bc luke has no philosophy he wants to install like the other good coaches in the nba. the thing i surely hate about the past few nba coaches for lakers are that all of them are idiots that dont realize how important setting hard screens are. watch lakers game to realize lbj has to call and point fingers to ask for a screen. what other teams do u see where screens are being demanded that action should be automatic why are u telling your defender that screen is coming so he can be ready to roll over and not be able to create mismatch. lakers pick and roll is a huge mess and i hate that my basic bball knowledge is exceeding an actual coach in luke. I'm not ashamed to say that i can coach better than luke prolly the reason lavar ball sayin the same thing although he will be hindered by making decisions based on nepotism. Its clear lakers give up the lead late bc they gas out and stop running fast on offense and if u dont have a system in place for players to know their role then aint no good will come out on offense period. I see all other teams except suns and cavs realize that constant screening not just on the ball handler but by others is every effective in getting open looks i mean come on luke you dam coached the gsw and saw upfront how they did it so why did you come to lakers just to try some stupid new idea instead of implementing the gsw style offense we all wanted to see. i dont want to talk about personals bc the system aint about wat players you have but how they move.

Next thing is luke is so dam scared of players mins he stuck tryin to find play time for players. stupid thinking he has to set the rotation straight and stick to it. I could have guessed that kuzma playin backup 5 aint gonna work before season started and it wasnt that hard to figure that out. other good coaches would definitely use SVI more and give him experience rather than wastin time on KCP on the floor. In lukes mind if he gives a rookie 1 game and plays bad hes gonna sit him for a long time instead of making him gain experience and developing. josh hart is a good shooter/cutter and so is svi both play good defense and are young. I just dont trust lukes idea about how to develope these guys who are gifted and pisses me off to realize they would become even more of a great player had they played for other teams. Imagine hart or svi on GSW now that is scary.

Defense wise its the same reason i hate lukes idea. He COACHED the gsw and saw how they played defense where it was constant switching and changing who they marked. Luke for the lakers have his players fighting around the screen leaving 2 players defending the same guy jus for someone else to be wide open for a easy shot. then you got more helpers closing in and leave a shooter wide open at a three. GSW plays like this, they switch on defense when there is a mismatch away from the ball they communicate immediately and switch for a less stressful mismatch for example if curry is stuck defending a 4 or a 5 then whoever that is bigger and more capable say ala KD or Iggy would take over currys assignment and switch defending and oh do they do it smoothly. why is luke making them fight over screens leavin so many players wide open. Look here man im no basketball wiz im jus stating the obvious that any nba coach would see. It hurts me to see the lakes i love so much is being coached by a dimwit idiot who looks like he can only coach at a high school level. I complained from last season about luke just for magic to prove to me that my view on luke is right. i read on article hes pleased with lonzos development which to me added fuel to fire bc wat dam progress does luke see in lonzo from last season to now. I see non he doesnt atk the rim or initiate the offense on half coart, he maybe good at hockey assists but thats not on him creating the offense in the first place. he shoots so little bc lonzo's afraid to mess up his shooting % so he wants to shoot if hes wide open or if he feels he's on a roll. Nothing to me feels like lonzo got better and from last year i feel we are better off if we had trae young or fox or even sexton at this point. those guys arent afraid to play with contact. I never did expect luke to coach this lakers to be a better defensive team from the moment he tried to use kuzma who is a size of 3 or small 4 as a 5 who isnt strong enough to overcome a height disadvantage. Wasnt luke the one that says he wants to play positionless basketball well i sure didnt know luke s idea of positionless meant chasing defenders instead of switching leavin other guys wide open.

Ingram to me is feeling stressful because lukes stupid leave it all on players to figure it out offense has ingram having to make contested shots and atk the rim being banged up. I hate luke using more kcp and lance and svi less, offense at half court a huge mess, defense sucks and feels like luke is over in his head about proving he can coach and tryin to show he is special instead of building the fundamental schemes first. Hes trying to make player do crossovers and eurostep before learning how to properly dribble. Man if i had an opportunity to talk with luke somehow i wish i can bc all these question i have about why he cant coach right i want them answered. He sure didnt admit to the mistake of making kuzma play the 5 which was his idea.

Sorry i wrote so long but boy i jus have to get it out of my chest. I appreciate any opinion others may have about my comment and gladly discuss it as a laker fan.

last thing if i had a choice i would trade lonzo in a heart beat right now for a pg capable of atking the rim or not afraid to shoot. 1 thing i absolutely hate about lonzo is that im too cool attitude that pisses me off. hes like laid back no emotion doesnt backup his teammate in a scruffle and least hyped up when he plays.
mugwump
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Historically the Lakers only do well with a massive alpha coach. There are too many distractions living and playing in LA. The weather's too good. Too many side projects, people get soft, etc.

Who is the most alpha person with NBA experience that could coach here? If no one, then Luke or whomever will do fine but not great.

We need an undeniable personality who has a system, or knows people to help, or will be hell-bent to win and can get results. Michael Jordan? Tom Izzo?
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Blah blah blah you have somehow "won the internets" blah blah blah "ya got me"
Blah blah blah, Warren Buffet- blah blah blah
(insert mixed metaphor from another sport)

Thanks, what did I win for "winning the internets"? I'm hoping for some class A preferred Berkshire Hathaway.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:

I dig threads that say "Luke is to blame" Like luke picked ANY of these players that he has to sub in

Letting Brook go and having only Mo Wagner and Zubac as McGee's backups is strictly on the front office. Beasley is pretty much a waste on this team, and we could've paid BroLo what we paid Beasley.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject:

Agree, it is becoming more obvious that the FO is more to blame. All of sudden we have a competent backup center and we play better defense and outrebound someone, hhhmmmm.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Christopher Walken wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Vampirate wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

Game.
Set.
Match.

Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Luke is absolutely to be blamed for lakers bad plays

kasonuma wrote:
Boy do i have lot to say about Luke. Luke does not know how to teach offense it can be proven bc lakers half court set is a mess they got no system no scheme its all pass to lebron or iso ball. you hardly got ball movement and any1 and i repeat any1 can teach a team to play the run and gun style offense. But heres the thing luke is insisting lakers run and play fast pace bc luke has no philosophy he wants to install like the other good coaches in the nba. the thing i surely hate about the past few nba coaches for lakers are that all of them are idiots that dont realize how important setting hard screens are. watch lakers game to realize lbj has to call and point fingers to ask for a screen. what other teams do u see where screens are being demanded that action should be automatic why are u telling your defender that screen is coming so he can be ready to roll over and not be able to create mismatch. lakers pick and roll is a huge mess and i hate that my basic bball knowledge is exceeding an actual coach in luke. I'm not ashamed to say that i can coach better than luke prolly the reason lavar ball sayin the same thing although he will be hindered by making decisions based on nepotism. Its clear lakers give up the lead late bc they gas out and stop running fast on offense and if u dont have a system in place for players to know their role then aint no good will come out on offense period. I see all other teams except suns and cavs realize that constant screening not just on the ball handler but by others is every effective in getting open looks i mean come on luke you dam coached the gsw and saw upfront how they did it so why did you come to lakers just to try some stupid new idea instead of implementing the gsw style offense we all wanted to see. i dont want to talk about personals bc the system aint about wat players you have but how they move.

Next thing is luke is so dam scared of players mins he stuck tryin to find play time for players. stupid thinking he has to set the rotation straight and stick to it. I could have guessed that kuzma playin backup 5 aint gonna work before season started and it wasnt that hard to figure that out. other good coaches would definitely use SVI more and give him experience rather than wastin time on KCP on the floor. In lukes mind if he gives a rookie 1 game and plays bad hes gonna sit him for a long time instead of making him gain experience and developing. josh hart is a good shooter/cutter and so is svi both play good defense and are young. I just dont trust lukes idea about how to develope these guys who are gifted and pisses me off to realize they would become even more of a great player had they played for other teams. Imagine hart or svi on GSW now that is scary.

Defense wise its the same reason i hate lukes idea. He COACHED the gsw and saw how they played defense where it was constant switching and changing who they marked. Luke for the lakers have his players fighting around the screen leaving 2 players defending the same guy jus for someone else to be wide open for a easy shot. then you got more helpers closing in and leave a shooter wide open at a three. GSW plays like this, they switch on defense when there is a mismatch away from the ball they communicate immediately and switch for a less stressful mismatch for example if curry is stuck defending a 4 or a 5 then whoever that is bigger and more capable say ala KD or Iggy would take over currys assignment and switch defending and oh do they do it smoothly. why is luke making them fight over screens leavin so many players wide open. Look here man im no basketball wiz im jus stating the obvious that any nba coach would see. It hurts me to see the lakes i love so much is being coached by a dimwit idiot who looks like he can only coach at a high school level. I complained from last season about luke just for magic to prove to me that my view on luke is right. i read on article hes pleased with lonzos development which to me added fuel to fire bc wat dam progress does luke see in lonzo from last season to now. I see non he doesnt atk the rim or initiate the offense on half coart, he maybe good at hockey assists but thats not on him creating the offense in the first place. he shoots so little bc lonzo's afraid to mess up his shooting % so he wants to shoot if hes wide open or if he feels he's on a roll. Nothing to me feels like lonzo got better and from last year i feel we are better off if we had trae young or fox or even sexton at this point. those guys arent afraid to play with contact. I never did expect luke to coach this lakers to be a better defensive team from the moment he tried to use kuzma who is a size of 3 or small 4 as a 5 who isnt strong enough to overcome a height disadvantage. Wasnt luke the one that says he wants to play positionless basketball well i sure didnt know luke s idea of positionless meant chasing defenders instead of switching leavin other guys wide open.

Ingram to me is feeling stressful because lukes stupid leave it all on players to figure it out offense has ingram having to make contested shots and atk the rim being banged up. I hate luke using more kcp and lance and svi less, offense at half court a huge mess, defense sucks and feels like luke is over in his head about proving he can coach and tryin to show he is special instead of building the fundamental schemes first. Hes trying to make player do crossovers and eurostep before learning how to properly dribble. Man if i had an opportunity to talk with luke somehow i wish i can bc all these question i have about why he cant coach right i want them answered. He sure didnt admit to the mistake of making kuzma play the 5 which was his idea.

Sorry i wrote so long but boy i jus have to get it out of my chest. I appreciate any opinion others may have about my comment and gladly discuss it as a laker fan.

last thing if i had a choice i would trade lonzo in a heart beat right now for a pg capable of atking the rim or not afraid to shoot. 1 thing i absolutely hate about lonzo is that im too cool attitude that pisses me off. hes like laid back no emotion doesnt backup his teammate in a scruffle and least hyped up when he plays.

Look, I am having some doubts with Walton myself, however, I think it is a bit of a cheap shot to log in here and diss him this badly on your first post. I figure you are a regular who doesn't want to post under your normal account??? Just guessing. Anyhow, you still have some valid points.

Luke seems to be teaching these guys how to run a motion offense quite successfully, he needs to bring in a defensive specialist, and get rid of his drinking buddies. HAHA but truly.

I think Lonzo has a shot to be good, but I am not sold on him as our savior at point guard. That being said, I think he has lots of good qualities and might pan out. But he has too big an ego for where he is at. I would also acknowledge that if he doesn't pick things up, may end out being a bust in this league. He needs to be humble and work his butt off. For me, I will give him through part of next year to see what I need to see.

BI is coming into his own, he is learning how to use his length on defense and is making an impact on the offensive end. Can he be a dominant forward in this league?? Not sure, but maybe.

If AD is offered to us for BI, Lonzo, a few draft picks and if we can keep Kuzma and Hart, then I would trade them in an instance, especially if we could keep our cap space open enough to sign another top FA, I would do all that without another thought. Not sure it can all happen. If it can't, there are worse things than letting Lonzo and BI continue to get better.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: