The Hype and Expectations of our #2 Picks (via Magic Johnson)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: The Hype and Expectations of our #2 Picks (via Magic Johnson)

Courtesy of Magic Johnson.

Magic on Lonzo Ball:

Quote:
- "He's the new face of the Lakers, the guy who I think will lead us back to where we want to get to."

- "We expect a Ball jersey hanging up there one day."

- "He has greatness written all over him. Now he just has to go out and push him, and we will, too."

- "You have to have a great leader, somebody that can make their teammates better, somebody who has incredible basketball IQ -- his IQ is off the charts -- and somebody who can get their teammates to follow them and want to get out on that wing like Worthy and Byron and Cooper used to do back in the day. We feel like we have that person right here in Lonzo Ball."

- "Don't break all my records! Just leave me one or two okay?"

Magic on Brandon Ingram:

Quote:
- "I would say probably the only player that we would say we would probably not move is Brandon Ingram. We're excited about what he can possibly turn into." (when asked if there were any untouchables on the team)

- "Ingram's been practicing so hard all summer long. I told him, 'If you don't average 20 points a game, I'm going to be disappointed.'" (when asked about expectations on Ingram in his 2nd year)

- “I think the star in the making, and playing with LeBron is going to help him, is Brandon Ingram. He's big time. He's has the length, he has the size, he has the basketball IQ." (when asked which young player will be a star alongside LeBron)

- “It’s got to be Brandon Ingram because every year he’s taken a step forward. He’s gotten better and better and he has the game to score 20 points a night." (when asked again who the next Lakers' star will be)

Last edited by Nash Vegas on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

No. They are #2 picks, the hype for them is innate. Even if Magic had kept his mouth shut expectations would still be massive for both of them.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
No. They are #2 picks, the hype for them is innate. Even if Magic had kept his mouth shut expectations would still be massive for both of them.

Oh yeah expectations would be massive like it was also for DLO, our very first #2 pick.

But Magic, one of the greats, a freaking HOF, just blabbing about these high picks already being stars, or getting their jerseys retired before playing a single game didn't help either. In fact he probably took and blew up the expectations up a notch.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

Young Magic & the next KD? 😂

Hart & Kuz are already better than those 2.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

Yes, Magic hyped our kids. Some people take Magic at face value. The hype may have affected those folks. Many of us view Magic as a blowhard. The hype didn't affect us at all.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Oh yeah expectations would be massive like it was also for DLO, our very first #2 pick. But Magic one of the greats and a HOF blabbing about these high picks already being stars, or getting their jerseys retired before playing a single game didn't help either. In fact he probably took and blew up the expectations up a notch.

How did Magic hyping them up hurt anything? Honestly, that has no effect on anything but your own expectations. It's like hearing Don King hype up a fighter and not taking it for a grain of salt.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Personally, I didn't put too much stock into Magic's quotes when I first heard them. I figured he was hyping them up A) to instill confidence in them; B) raise their trade value; or C) both.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

Nash Vegas wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Oh yeah expectations would be massive like it was also for DLO, our very first #2 pick. But Magic blabbing about them being stars or retiring their jerseys before playing a single game didn't help either. In fact he probably blew up the expectations up a notch.

Expectations is just expectations. It’s still up to the players to thrive to the hype. Actions always speak louder than words. We can always put numbers and stats but I’m pretty sure Magic know how a great player is made.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

the hyperbole was much greater with Ball....."face of the franchise", predicting his jersey in the rafters, and likely breaking records held by the greatest PG of all time before he played a single game.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Oh yeah expectations would be massive like it was also for DLO, our very first #2 pick.

But Magic, one of the greats, a freaking HOF, just blabbing about these high picks already being stars, or getting their jerseys retired before playing a single game didn't help either. In fact he probably took and blew up the expectations up a notch.

How did Magic hyping them up hurt anything? Honestly, that has no effect on anything but your own expectations. It's like hearing Don King hype up a fighter and not taking it for a grain of salt.

This:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Yes, Magic hyped our kids. Some people take Magic at face value. The hype may have affected those folks.

And just take a stroll over the Brandon Ingram thread.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

This:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Yes, Magic hyped our kids. Some people take Magic at face value. The hype may have affected those folks.

Those fans would be doing the same thing regardless of Magic's hype up. Just take a look at the ridiculous (bleep) going on in the Dlo thread before Magic became President.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
Personally, I didn't put too much stock into Magic's quotes when I first heard them. I figured he was hyping them up A) to instill confidence in them; B) raise their trade value; or C) both.

A is still a ways from happening. Looks like B is getting closer and closer at least compared to A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

This:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Those fans would be doing the same thing regardless of Magic's hype up. Just take a look at the ridiculous (bleep) going on in the Dlo thread before Magic became President.

Not all casual fans are like knowledgeable LG fans. Speaking of DLO, Lakers fans just either love or hate DLO with a passion. Fans here however don't hate Brandon, they're just a lot of disappointments.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

People are responsible for managing their own expectations of a player. It's nobody's fault but your own if you thought Ingram was Kevin Durant or Ball was Magic Johnson.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

I'm sad, I really wanted to see Lonzo's jersey up in the rafters and Ingram to be LeBron's Robin.

(but really I did)
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject:

Do expectations change reality? Not really.

Then why does it matter?

Magic is a hype man. He generates interest in the brand. It doesn't affect the outcome of the result.

Do you feel mislead or jilted? Welcome to the world of sports fandom!
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
I'm sad, I really wanted to see Lonzo's jersey up in the rafters and Ingram to be LeBron's Robin.

(but really I did)

Deep down, don't we all?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

I agree he over hyped them, but it feels like some of these responses have decided their fate? Even if both turn out to be all stars, I would still think he over hyped players that had proven nothing.....but I have not concluded they will forever be mediocre players or something.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

Not all casual fans are like knowledgeable LG fans. Speaking of DLO, Lakers fans just either love or hate DLO with a passion. Fans here however don't hate Brandon, they're just a lot of disappointments.

I never hated Russell, and I don't hate Ingram. I hate how much Laker fans and the FO overrated both of them. We've passed on getting Paul George, DeMarcus Cousins, and Kawhi Leonard for the sake of Brandon Ingram, and he hasn't done a damn thing to ever suggest he would develop into anything more than an above-average NBA player. It's even worse that he's playing like crap this year. I don't put that on Magic, either. Mitch and Jim were part of this, too.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

I do prefer the lower key prognostications of a few select GMs and Ops Prez (Buford and Pop, esp.) but Magic Johnson's enthusiasm is a strong flavor. He is nearly an inseperable part of the Laker brand itself again.

He gushes and it probably doesn't do his club's player reps any favors in the long term in doing so. I think he tried to whip up enthusiasm genuinely, but of course, Ingram, Randle, and DLo were not his draft picks, were they ?

That said, fan expectation for the eventual success of a high draft pick is inherently high, and hope gets amplified when there's not much getting past it that our Lakers haven't seen payoff from three #2s in three consecutive years. There's a lot of cumulative expectation for improvement.

The success has not been coming, at least not just yet. I personally can wait for some playoff relevance more easily when there is some visible improvement in the team's play along the way, but we're still lacking that, aren't we ? The disconnect between the additions of high draft picks and the teams on the floor is still making for pretty rough goings-on for us fans since 2011. It's the eighth season since the club crested 46 wins.

Patience has been tested. It's time for improved results, even modest-looking ones.
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
People are responsible for managing their own expectations of a player. It's nobody's fault but your own if you thought Ingram was Kevin Durant or Ball was Magic Johnson.

Don't think it's fan expectations but more so if Magic Johnson himself actually believes the hype for those 2 players he helped promote.

This could affect trades and basketball personnel among the team.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

Depends. If a person has sound logic, they can pick up on the hype and have reasonable expectations. But we are fanatics, so as a fanbase it can create higher expectations as a whole. But being a #2 pick, you would expect there to be higher expectations in general.

That withstanding, anyone who has followed Magic on twitter over the years, or has listened to his interviews, should know that he tends to embellish--him being the great optimist that he is.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:
ocho wrote:

Don't think it's fan expectations but more so if Magic Johnson himself actually believes the hype for those 2 players he helped promote.

This could affect trades and basketball personnel among the team.

Good point.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

Whatever. IF the right deal comes along, I'd move them...
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

I never hated Russell, and I don't hate Ingram. I hate how much Laker fans and the FO overrated both of them. We've passed on getting Paul George, DeMarcus Cousins, and Kawhi Leonard for the sake of Brandon Ingram, and he hasn't done a damn thing to ever suggest he would develop into anything more than an above-average NBA player. It's even worse that he's playing like crap this year. I don't put that on Magic, either. Mitch and Jim were part of this, too.

Boogie, I’ll passed on him too. PG, debatable leaning on pass. KL should be a no brainer. But you have to understand the risks. PG and Kwahi are essentially one year rentals. Even if we got a better player like Kwahi, we ain’t beating the Warriors. If he don’t like it here, you basically lost Ingram for nothing. So the risk is greater than the reward. It’s prudent for our FO to waiT till next year and see who gonna fit with Lebron and who’s not.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: