The Hype and Expectations of our #2 Picks (via Magic Johnson)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:
ocho wrote:
People are responsible for managing their own expectations of a player. It's nobody's fault but your own if you thought Ingram was Kevin Durant or Ball was Magic Johnson.

Don't think it's fan expectations but more so if Magic Johnson himself actually believes the hype for those 2 players he helped promote.

This could affect trades and basketball personnel among the team.

I think Magic does believe in his own hype. If you’ve watched him since the 80’s you get that feeling he says what he believes, at least what he believes about himself.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject:

Magic's overhyping both those guys kinda annoyed me, but I didn't take him seriously anyway, so I never bought into them being as good as he said.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:
ocho wrote:
People are responsible for managing their own expectations of a player. It's nobody's fault but your own if you thought Ingram was Kevin Durant or Ball was Magic Johnson.

Don't think it's fan expectations but more so if Magic Johnson himself actually believes the hype for those 2 players he helped promote.

Eh. Magic is selling a product. Fans aren't required to buy it. I think he'd sell any of them off in a second if he thought it would help us win.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
No. They are #2 picks, the hype for them is innate. Even if Magic had kept his mouth shut expectations would still be massive for both of them.

Oh yeah expectations would be massive like it was also for DLO, our very first #2 pick.

But Magic, one of the greats, a freaking HOF, just blabbing about these high picks already being stars, or getting their jerseys retired before playing a single game didn't help either. In fact he probably took and blew up the expectations up a notch.

That's like complaining that a car salesman made the automobile you bought sound better than it is.

I figure anyone who actually listens to the words coming out of Magic's mouth deserves that they get. I doubt Magic himself remembers or believes half of what he says.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:

Boogie, I’ll passed on him too. PG, debatable leaning on pass. KL should be a no brainer. But you have to understand the risks. PG and Kwahi are essentially one year rentals. Even if we got a better player like Kwahi, we ain’t beating the Warriors. If he don’t like it here, you basically lost Ingram for nothing. So the risk is greater than the reward. It’s prudent for our FO to waiT till next year and see who gonna fit with Lebron and who’s not.

This is such a silly narrative I keep reading. PG, DeMarcus, and Kawhi all (or at least their camps did) came out and said they wanted to play for the Lakers. Trading Ingram for those guys was about a low risk as possible, and Ingram is never going to develop into anything near as good as any of them.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
No. They are #2 picks, the hype for them is innate. Even if Magic had kept his mouth shut expectations would still be massive for both of them.

Oh yeah expectations would be massive like it was also for DLO, our very first #2 pick.

But Magic, one of the greats, a freaking HOF, just blabbing about these high picks already being stars, or getting their jerseys retired before playing a single game didn't help either. In fact he probably took and blew up the expectations up a notch.

That's like complaining that a car salesman made the automobile you bought sound better than it is.

I figure anyone who actually listens to the words coming out of Magic's mouth deserves that they get. I doubt Magic himself remembers or believes half of what he says.

Not really a good analogy. I see where you’re getting at, but there are thousands of say, Honda Civics being driven and reviewed on. You only have one kind of Lonzo Ball or Brandon Ingram.

A 2018 Honda Civic will always be a 2018 Honda Civic. But an 18 year old young player, sky is the limit for what more they could be.

Last edited by Nash Vegas on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
CRoost wrote:

Boogie, I’ll passed on him too. PG, debatable leaning on pass. KL should be a no brainer. But you have to understand the risks. PG and Kwahi are essentially one year rentals. Even if we got a better player like Kwahi, we ain’t beating the Warriors. If he don’t like it here, you basically lost Ingram for nothing. So the risk is greater than the reward. It’s prudent for our FO to waiT till next year and see who gonna fit with Lebron and who’s not.

This is such a silly narrative I keep reading. PG, DeMarcus, and Kawhi all (or at least their camps did) came out and said they wanted to play for the Lakers. Trading Ingram for those guys was about a low risk as possible, and Ingram is never going to develop into anything near as good as any of them.

I'm not convinced Kawhi stays. I don't want Boogie.
I am thinking it was a mistake not trading Ingram for PG, but that's with hindsight bias. I'd probably have criticized the FO if they did make that trade instead of being patient.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I hope fans realize that Zo is 20 and BI is 21, we have already seen there Impact on games, and they are no where near a finished product, Zo is still progressing from his off season surgery and BI is still adapting to the new players... let’s give these guys 20-25 games before calling them wasted picks.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

So true. It doesn't help their cause though when fans fight tooth and nail to prove that their guy is the gawd.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

So, I’m trying to picture the alternative here...

Magic trots out some sht players he heard of three minutes before he had to make a pick at the draft. Has some shoddy press conference at the Taco Bell:

I’d like to introduce these guys. I think they’ll play a couple years for us... but screw it, it’s just a game anyway.

I don’t know how Magic should have welcomed BI and Zo to the franchise; tone it down? No idea.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I hope fans realize that Zo is 20 and BI is 21, we have already seen there Impact on games, and they are no where near a finished product, Zo is still progressing from his off season surgery and BI is still adapting to the new players... let’s give these guys 20-25 games before calling them wasted picks.

They are not wasted picks if you are going to trade them for a bonafide superstar. (e.g. AD)
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
CRoost wrote:

Why is it a silly narrative? We have no control on what each player wants to do once they are free agent so that’s a risk you have to take. Lol about Projecting Ingram trajectionary. Are you saying KL and PG looked like elite player when they were 21 ? KL maybe a reach for Ingram but Spurs know how to develop and nurture players. Makes me wonder if it’s all about ego why KL left a great situation and makes me wonder if his ego can handle Lebron.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Not really a good analogy. I see where you’re getting at, but there are thousands of say, Honda Civics being driven and reviewed on. You only have one kind of Lonzo Ball or Brandon Ingram.

A 2018 Honda Civic will always be a 2018 Honda Civic. But an 18 year old young player, sky is the limit for what more they could be.

Fine, you don't like analogies, I'll make it simple: Magic hypes endlessly, If someone believes his hype, and is upset when it doesn't come true, they're a sucker who enjoys living in fairyland so they got what the deserved. For me, pretty much everything Magic says goes in one ear and out the other. I judge him by his actions, not his words, which I put no value on.

So if you're one of those who bought the hype, take it as a lesson for next time Magic opens his mouth.
PhiberOptik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Kuz/Hart > Zo/BI = FACTS.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:

Magic never really gave that much praise to Dlo either when he was still a Laker, so it's not like he's just overhyping every Laker player. So I tend to think Magic really believes in what he has said about both Zo and Ingram.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Clark Kent wrote:
ocho wrote:

Eh. Magic is selling a product. Fans aren't required to buy it. I think he'd sell any of them off in a second if he thought it would help us win.

Truth but it would be sad if four lottery picks in four consecutive years went to waste.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Its BI’s third year already, no more excuses
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Magic is enthusiastic but come on, nobody can beat the hype the fans themselves come up with. All you have to do is think back to future greats like Devin Ebanks and Javaris Crittenton.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

I think this team would have been better off if Rob were running the show and not Magic. Sure you can debate whether or not we would have gotten Lebron(I still think we would have), but Magic behaves in a manner that is similar to an LG'er. Overly emotional, says we might lose a few games in the beginning and then when we actually do, is borderline firing Luke, etc...
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

I understand you're coming from a place of critical thinking, and common sense. But, you should have realized from the beginning of this thread, that it was going to be a breeding ground of hate for Zo, and B.I.. Anything to the contrary would be summarily dismissed, and tossed into the veritable "book fire". Nice try, though. I feel you.
Zillethai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Lol @ Lonzo's Jersey hanging from the rafters.

"Don't beat all my records" Comedy gold.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Zillethai wrote:
Lol @ Lonzo's Jersey hanging from the rafters.

"Don't beat all my records" Comedy gold.

Getting that turkey ready for thanksgiving
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
and somebody who can get their teammates to follow them and want to get out on that wing like Worthy and Byron and Cooper used to do back in the day.

Magic always resorts to him and his NBA days. He's like a professional Al Bundy Lol
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject:

PhiberOptik wrote:
Kuz/Hart > Zo/BI = FACTS.

They are more developed being their stint in college, but I don't agree that Kuz is better. Kuz is really 1 dimensional. He only really scores. Lonzo does everything else better. Same with BI... Once BI becomes a consistent scorer he is gonna be way better than Kuz.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Magic's hype of Lonzo at the presser will never be forgotten or equaled. It was like the second coming of Jesus Christ. Never thought that was a good thing. Hey, I realize he is young but Magic hyped him up crazy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: