No one in the NBA is playing defense
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: No one in the NBA is playing defense

Everyone is giving up huge points to the opposition, this is the first time I have checked team stats and no one right now is holding anyone down under 100PPG, so let’s not act like the Lakers are the only 1’s who need to find there defensive groove.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject:

It’s relative though...need to improve that DefRating and get into top 15.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

They're being graded on the curve and still failing.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Season just started, and the Chandler addition will boost our defensive prowess....
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Season just started, and the Chandler addition will boost our defensive prowess....

Let’s get it IG
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

Yes, but we are about to give up the record for most consecutive games where the opponent scores 110+. On the bright side, Lebron can play slow if he wants, and does it well too. So this streak is due to style of play as well as a lack of defense.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Let’s get it IG

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: No one in the NBA is playing defense

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Everyone is giving up huge points to the opposition, this is the first time I have checked team stats and no one right now is holding anyone down under 100PPG, so let’s not act like the Lakers are the only 1’s who need to find there defensive groove.

This makes no sense. Yes, everyone is giving up huge points.

But some teams are giving up huger points.

Cmon man.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: No one in the NBA is playing defense

ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Cmon man.

lol This is pretty standard IG logic, though.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: No one in the NBA is playing defense

ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Cmon man.

What I mean is that no one is playing great D right now, everyone is seemingly looking to find there defensive identity.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Let’s get it IG

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: No one in the NBA is playing defense

ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Cmon man.

Yes, the relative stat is net rating and we are average
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: No one in the NBA is playing defense

venturalakersfan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Cmon man.

Yes, the relative stat is net rating and we are average

Well, from a point perspective, I’d probably look at PPG differential. That usually tells you who the good defensive teams are. Higher positive differential the better the defense generally speaking.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: No one in the NBA is playing defense

Inspector Gadget wrote:
i've said this since the start of the season.

The touch fouls that the refs called during pre season made it clear. YOU CAN"T stop anyone anymore. That day is done. that means all you can do is hope to come up with a team scheme to curtail a shot or two here and there in certain spots. OR your best bet is to make darn sure you secure the rebound after your opponent does miss(this is the lakers issue).
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

ah, nah..
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: No one in the NBA is playing defense

splashmtn wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The touch fouls that the refs called during pre season made it clear. YOU CAN"T stop anyone anymore. That day is done. that means all you can do is hope to come up with a team scheme to curtail a shot or two here and there in certain spots. OR your best bet is to make darn sure you secure the rebound after your opponent does miss(this is the lakers issue).

NBA are not allowing any physicalities at the perimeter. This will change in the playoff but at this point length is essential to contest shots.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

NBA League Average this year is 110.9. Highest since 1970-71 which was 112.4

Last year was 106.3
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: No one in the NBA is playing defense

CRoost wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

NBA are not allowing any physicalities at the perimeter. This will change in the playoff but at this point length is essential to contest shots.
you can contest all you like. if you make them miss or they miss on their own but you dont secure the rebound. all that was for not. that is the lakers problem. we need to understand that. if we can't guard anyone per the rules without fouling(remember the first two games it was a FT fest.) then that means we have to be on the glass like crazy.

Where are we ranked when it comes to NOT allowing Offensive rebounds?
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: No one in the NBA is playing defense

splashmtn wrote:
CRoost wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

you can contest all you like. if you make them miss or they miss on their own but you dont secure the rebound. all that was for not. that is the lakers problem. we need to understand that. if we can't guard anyone per the rules without fouling(remember the first two games it was a FT fest.) then that means we have to be on the glass like crazy.

Where are we ranked when it comes to NOT allowing Offensive rebounds?

Yeah but you have to make them miss first to get the rebound. Case in point, Ingram length bother Butler so when he was trying to go at him, he had a difficult shot. When Hart was guarding him, he was more comfortable and have a better look. If it was back in the day, Hart can probably body him up and make him uncomfortable.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: No one in the NBA is playing defense

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Ugh, why are you going by just ppg without considering pace?

The 95-96 Bulls held opponents to 92.9 ppg with a DRtg of 101.8.

The Celtics this year are giving up 101.3 ppg with a DRtg of 101.7. There are a few other teams in that neighborhood right now (Denver, Memphis off the top of my head).

Clearly teams are playing defense despite the faster overall pace. So no, not everyone is giving up "huge" points and several teams are playing defense at level equivalent to one of the all time great teams which was noted for it's defense.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

No tacos this year gotta fix that promo

In Phoenix I think it was all they had to do was get to 100 to get a 5 piece chicken meal
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
NBA League Average this year is 110.9. Highest since 1970-71 which was 112.4

Last year was 106.3

Eh. That's a 4.5 point difference, and my sense is that the difference is shrinking as defenses adjust. I found an article from October that cited the scoring average as 113.4. While scores are really up, a lot of the media hype is just that.

The leaguewide ORtg is 109.5. Last year it was 108.6. So we're talking about 0.9 points per 100 possessions, and once again the difference is probably shrinking. Two years ago, the number was 108.8. I won't be surprised if the final number for his year turns out to be in that range.

My point is that the media narrative about scoring is misleading. Analytics driven offenses have in fact led to an increase in scoring over prior levels, but this year does not appear to be an outlier.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: No one in the NBA is playing defense

Inspector Gadget wrote:

The increase in scoring is because of faster pace, not worse defense.

A faster pace means more shots which means more points.

That isn't inherently a reflection that defense is poorer though. Shooting percentages and other defensive stats haven't changed much over the past three years.

Last edited by activeverb on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Doesn't matter. Season just started for everyone, not just the Lakers.

No reason to try making excuses. Our defense has been terrible by our own standards from just last season. I have reasonable confidence that they will improve significantly. But, that doesn't change how inconsistent we have been. We deserve all of the criticism. Especially LeBron and Rondo (lack of defensive effort).
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: No one in the NBA is playing defense

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The increase in scoring is because of faster pace, not worse defense.

A faster pace means more shots which means more points.

That isn't inherently a reflection that defense is poorer though. Shooting percentages and other defensive stats haven't changed much over the past three years.
you can run as fast as you want but if another team stops you from scoring you wont score. you cant just run up the pace like that unless its allowed by a lack of defense allowing you to score so quickly. that means less def rebounds for the offensive team trying to grab and go. it means get back on D quickly when the offensive team is taking the ball out. they can rush all they want. but if you're in front of your man all that rushing is going to end up in a bricked rushed shot. but if you aint playing defense for numerous reasons(you dont know how, you can't due to personnel, or new soft rules) then the fast pace will work and score like crazy on you. This is an in season version of these last few all star games. a lot of offense and very little defense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: