THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1236, 1237, 1238 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I've seen conflicting opinions on whether that applies to "interim" replacements.

I have also read conflicting opinions.....this is a recent one that suggests he does qualify under the Vacancies Act.

Quote:
The Vacancies Act enables the president to name an acting officer, who may serve as such for 210 days, as long as the person named has been working at the agency or department for at least 90 days in a fairly high-ranking position.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Because Mr. Whitaker has not undergone the process of Senate confirmation, there has been no mechanism for scrutinizing whether he has the character and ability to evenhandedly enforce the law in such a position of grave responsibility. The public is entitled to that assurance, especially since Mr. Whitaker’s only supervisor is President Trump himself, and the president is hopelessly compromised by the Mueller investigation. That is why adherence to the requirements of the Appointments Clause is so important here, and always.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/opinion/trump-attorney-general-sessions-unconstitutional.html

Co-authored by Kellyan Conway's husband.

I've seen conflicting opinions on whether that applies to "interim" replacements.

I don't think it is constitutional for a non-appointed/non-vetted person to make such critical decisions. Otherwise a President could have a parade of interim heads of agencies make decisions based on his or her whim.
Hence the discussion in whether it applies to temporary appointees.

I just find it hilarious that Trump's own staff member's husband is the author of the article. He's hilariously against Trump if you follow his Twitter feed.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Mr. Whitaker
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/08/matthew-whitaker-acting-attorney-general-judges-christian

Quote:
Democrats have urged Whitaker to recuse himself from the Russia investigation being led by the special counsel Robert Mueller because of public criticisms of Mueller that Whitaker made before joining the justice department.

Whitaker was previously a paid adviser to an invention-promotion company in Florida that was accused by the US government of running a multimillion-dollar scam. Court records show Whitaker sent a threatening email to one of the alleged scam’s victims who tried to complain.

Quote:
The Republican candidates were asked what justification they would use to block the confirmation of federal judges nominated by Barack Obama, who was then US president.

Advertisement

Whitaker said he wanted to know about a judge’s judicial philosophy, along with their views on natural law, natural rights and the US founding documents. But he added: “I don’t think that gets us far enough.”

“Because natural law is often used from the eye of the beholder, if you will,” Whitaker said. “I’d like to see things like their world view. What informs them? How have they lived their life? Are they people of faith? Do they have a biblical view of justice? Which I think is very important.”

The event moderator, conservative blogger Erick Erickson, asked Whitaker whether he required a “Levitical or New Testament” view of justice. Whitaker opted for the New Testament.

Quote:
Whitaker went on: “What I know is that as long as they have that worldview, that they’ll be a good judge. And if they have a secular worldview, that ‘this is all we have here on Earth’, then I’m going to be very concerned about how they judge.”
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I just find it hilarious that Trump's own staff member's husband is the author of the article. He's hilariously against Trump if you follow his Twitter feed.

I've always been stunned that he remains married to such a miserable excuse for a human being.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Then there is this from the act:

Revises provisions regarding the filling of Federal vacancies to authorize the President, if an appointed officer of an executive agency (defined to include the Executive Office of the President and exclude the GAO) dies, resigns, or is otherwise unable to perform office functions . . .

Now one can easily argue Sessions was fired due to the language of his resignation which stated he resigned at the request of the president.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

This guy had an extended magazine which is illegal in California BUT the NRA is suing so there is an injunction so it can't be enforced

Not
Right for
America
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I've always been stunned that he remains married to such a miserable excuse for a human being.

Self Censored
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

If you read the Bob Woodward book. There's an excerpt where after Kellyanne meets with Trump as shes walking out she tells one of the other staffers "I need to take a shower". She 100% finds Trump disgusting but I'm not giving her an ounce of sympathy. Shes basically as trump would say it "doing anything for a buck".
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Alabama Amendment 1
Yes
Display Ten Commandments Publicly
An amendment to the Alabama Constitution authorizing the display of the Ten Commandments on state, public and school grounds, prohibiting the spending of public funds to defend the constitutionality of this amendment, and providing for certain religious rights and liberties. A “YES” vote approves displaying the Ten Commandments on state property. A “NO” vote rejects displaying the Ten Commandments on state property.

PASS 71.8%

Alabama Amendment 2
Yes
Recognize Fetal Rights
An amendment to the Alabama Constitution declaring that the state’s policy to recognize and support the sanctity of unborn life, the rights of unborn children - including a right to life in all manners and measures appropriate and lawful - and that the Constitution does not protect the right to abortion or require the funding of abortion. A “YES” vote amends the state Constitution with new language on abortion. A “NO” vote rejects the new language on abortion.

PASS 59.2%

Oregon Measure 106
No
Prohibit Public Abortion Funding
Measure prohibits using public funds to be used directly or indirectly for abortions or health plans/insurance covering abortion. A “YES” vote prohibits state funds being used for abortions. A “NO” vote keeps state funds from being used for abortions approved by medical professionals.

PASS 64.4%

West Virginia Amendment 1
Yes
Restrict Public Abortion Funding
Amends the West Virginia Constitution to clarify it does not secure or protect abortion rights or require funding for them. Medicaid funds would no longer be allowed to be used for abortions. A “YES” vote restricts abortion rights and funding. A “NO” vote keeps current abortion rights and funding.

PASS 51.7%
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
This guy had an extended magazine which is illegal in California BUT the NRA is suing so there is an injunction so it can't be enforced

Not
Right for
America

"Very fine people . . ."
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Florida Governor and Senate race now both in automatic recount range.

Governor is currently

DeSantis 4,069,471

Gillum 4,030,947

49.62% to 49.15% auto recount is under .5%

Senate is even closer

Scott 4,091,437

Nelson 4,074,084

50.11% to 49.89% or .22% This one is in HAND recount range.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
If you read the Bob Woodward book. There's an excerpt where after Kellyanne meets with Trump as shes walking out she tells one of the other staffers "I need to take a shower". She 100% finds Trump disgusting but I'm not giving her an ounce of sympathy. Shes basically as trump would say it "doing anything for a buck".

That only make her even more vile.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
nickuku wrote:

was that a private meeting?
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

wasn't that off air with Mika and Joe after a segment.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
nickuku wrote:

wasn't that off air with Mika and Joe after a segment.

Might be there's just so much (bleep) I might be confusing things.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Exactly! There has to be a point when a person realizes their support of "their Boss" is harmful to many many people

If she was keeping a job with jackass down the corner then not that big of a deal but giving moral support and comfort to a man who is hurting millions and millions of people is disgusting

Trump will remain an (bleep) until everyone stops associating with him and tears him down hardcore. Horrible creepy old man who let's his staff tweet INFOWARS fake videos and has built Infant Internment Camps..

Sick Republicans allow him to continue to harm our country
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Investigations? What do they accomplish? Name one that produced a positive result. (I haven't properly researched the question.) They stall, back burner, real issues, help those who create the reason for the investigation.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Investigations? What do they accomplish? Name one that produced a positive result. (I haven't properly researched the question.) They stall, back burner, real issues, help those who create the reason for the investigation.

just let the criminals walk?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Investigations? What do the accomplish? Name one that produced a positive result. They stall, back burner, real issues, help those who create the reason for the investigation.

What, you say?

The full list of known indictments and plea deals in Mueller’s probe SO FAR: over 100 criminal counts against 32 people and three companies

Quote:
1) George Papadopoulos, former Trump campaign foreign policy adviser, was arrested in July 2017 and pleaded guilty last October to making false statements to the FBI. He got a 14-day sentence.

2) Paul Manafort, Trump’s former campaign chair, was indicted on a total of 25 different counts by Mueller’s team, related mainly to his past work for Ukrainian politicians and his finances. He had two trials scheduled, and the first ended in a conviction on eight counts of financial crimes. To avert the second trial, Manafort struck a plea deal with Mueller in September 2018.

3) Rick Gates, a former Trump campaign aide and Manafort’s longtime junior business partner, was indicted on similar charges to Manafort. But in February he agreed to a plea deal with Mueller’s team, pleading guilty to just one false statements charge and one conspiracy charge.

4) Michael Flynn, Trump’s former national security adviser, pleaded guilty last December to making false statements to the FBI.

5-20) 13 Russian nationals and three Russian companies were indicted on conspiracy charges, with some also being accused of identity theft. The charges related to a Russian propaganda effort designed to interfere with the 2016 campaign. The companies involved are the Internet Research Agency, often described as a “Russian troll farm,” and two other companies that helped finance it. The Russian nationals indicted include 12 of the agency’s employees and its alleged financier, Yevgeny Prigozhin.

21) Richard Pinedo: This California man pleaded guilty to an identity theft charge in connection with the Russian indictments, and has agreed to cooperate with Mueller. He was sentenced to 6 months in prison and 6 months of home detention in October.

22) Alex van der Zwaan: This London lawyer pleaded guilty to making false statements to the FBI about his contacts with Rick Gates and another unnamed person based in Ukraine. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail and has completed his sentence.

23) Konstantin Kilimnik: This longtime business associate of Manafort and Gates, who’s currently based in Russia, was charged alongside Manafort with attempting to obstruct justice by tampering with witnesses in Manafort’s pending case this year.

24-35) 12 Russian GRU officers: These officers of Russia’s military intelligence service were charged with crimes related to the hacking and leaking of leading Democrats’ emails in 2016.

Finally, there are two other people Mueller initially investigated, but then handed over to others in the Justice Department to handle. Both eventually agreed to plea deals.

Michael Cohen: Trump’s former lawyer pleaded guilty to 8 counts — tax and bank charges, related to his finances and taxi business, and campaign finance violations, related to hush money payments to women who alleged affairs with Donald Trump.

Sam Patten: This Republican operative and lobbyist pleaded guilty to not registering as a foreign agent with his work for Ukrainian political bigwigs, and agreed to cooperate with the government.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/20/17031772/mueller-indictments-grand-jury

Also, ever hear of Watergate or Iran/Contra?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Massachusetts state Atty General leading the way in calling for Whitacker to recuse himself:

Quote:
Maura Healey @MassAGO

Acting AG Whitaker's hostility to the Special Counsel’s investigation disqualifies him from overseeing Robert Mueller. We are leading 18 state attorneys general in calling on Whitaker to recuse himself immediately. #ProtectMueller

link
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

‘You can’t fire the truth’: Watch massive protests gather around the country to protect Mueller’s probe
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
‘You can’t fire the truth’: Watch massive protests gather around the country to protect Mueller’s probe

Will the protest save Mueller? Trump has shown his disdain for what's right if it blots his agenda. I believe Trump will do what ever's necessary to kill the Mueller investigation. Hopefully Mueller is six steps in front and has a contingency in place.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Jo, lets be real. aint nothing about to get done anyway. At least not with the Reds holding the other portion of congress. We've seen this movie before during Obama's Administration. We know good and well even if the dems put forth some really common sense legislation. the reds wont sign off. we know this already. We know they are only signing off on things their nutcase base will like which will keep them in office. Therefore, there is nothing to compromise with them on to be honest. you can't compromise with a crazy person. So might as well investigate and at worse let us all know who the criminals are for real. whether or not something happens after that is another discussion.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

#ProtectMueller is top trending on twitter.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/ProtectMueller?src=tren&lang=en
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Will the protest save Mueller? Trump has shown his disdain for what's right if it blots his agenda. I believe Trump will do what ever's necessary to kill the Mueller investigation. Hopefully Mueller is six steps in front and has a contingency in place.

You protest because it's the right thing to do. You apply pressure and see what happens. Then you apply more pressure.

Remember when it was a sure thing the ACA would be repealed and the GOP controlled the Senate, House and White House? People protested, called, applied pressure, protested again, called again, sent postcards, wrote op-eds. And what happened? It didn't get repealed.

You cannot stop defending Democracy because the other side will never stop attacking it. You defend it no matter what you think the other side is going to do.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1236, 1237, 1238 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1237 of 3663
Jump to: