TWOLVES -at- LAKERS – 11-7-18 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

Well, I saw a video of Chandler saying that Rondo was really helping him out by constantly talking with him to let him know where he should be on the floor, depending on the sets. That is being a point guard, being sure the new guy gets a little extra help so he isn't caught out of place too often.

This is the kind of thing that is very hard to see during a game, but something that the coach understands. It's like having a coach on the floor. On top of that, not only was Chandler accepting of it, he was super appreciative.

I think this is why he got the nod over Lonzo for this game. Obviously as Chandler has more time to learn the system, he won't need this kind of help and the same thing should not occur often.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I definite get that aspect, but situational subs defensively burned us last time we faced the Timberwolves and nearly did this one. And our offense is not that nuanced at the end of games. Rondo doesn't even have the ball and is really just out there trying to space the floor for LeBron.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I definite get that aspect, but situational subs defensively burned us last time we faced the Timberwolves and nearly did this one. And our offense is not that nuanced at the end of games. Rondo doesn't even have the ball and is really just out there trying to space the floor for LeBron.

OK, just saying, respect your opinion.

So then, do you think that perhaps Walton is in over his head?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Actually I don't. I mean he handled Golden State fine when Kerr was out and those are the kind of in-game decisions that he probably was making by himself. Plus, this is about the record I was expecting at this stage of the season. It's not an easy job with all the roster turnover every year to build things back up (instead of building on top of a foundation and existing collective team knowledge).

I'm just getting a little more cranky about a couple of things he can control. The first was all the playing around with the roster and experimental lineups early in the season/preseason instead of establishing a short rotation of guys familiar with each other, more traditional lineups...and then expanding/experimenting from there. The second is seemingly not thinking about defense with some of the decision-making.

I'm not going to presume to know how much he has Maginka breathing over his shoulder and micromanaging things. So I give him some leeway on a lot of that. But the late-game adjustments have not been the best this season.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Wino wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Actually I don't. I mean he handled Golden State fine when Kerr was out and those are the kind of in-game decisions that he probably was making by himself. Plus, this is about the record I was expecting at this stage of the season. It's not an easy job with all the roster turnover every year to build things back up (instead of building on top of a foundation and existing collective team knowledge).

I'm just getting a little more cranky about a couple of things he can control. The first was all the playing around with the roster and experimental lineups early in the season/preseason instead of establishing a short rotation of guys familiar with each other, more traditional lineups...and then expanding/experimenting from there. The second is seemingly not thinking about defense with some of the decision-making.

I'm not going to presume to know how much he has Maginka breathing over his shoulder and micromanaging things. So I give him some leeway on a lot of that. But the late-game adjustments have not been the best this season.

I kind of agree with you, but I think his tinkering has been his MO since he got here. In SF the lineup was already set and he wasn't going to come in and shake that up. It was an easier situation for a coach like him. I don't think he has been great at setting lineups and going with them. At least for awhile to see what they can do together.

I find myself wondering what other coaches could do with this roster. ???
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Wino wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

I kind of agree with you, but I think his tinkering has been his MO since he got here. In SF the lineup was already set and he wasn't going to come in and shake that up. It was an easier situation for a coach like him. I don't think he has been great at setting lineups and going with them. At least for awhile to see what they can do together.

I find myself wondering what other coaches could do with this roster. ???

I find my thoughts wondering along the same path, so I concur. Especially when I have no doubt a coach like a Van Gundy, Jeff or Stan, would have us in a much better position. Primarily because both emphasize defense from the jump, and at least one of them would have a recognizable defensive scheme.

The emboldened from DB's comments is what also bugged me most. For me, it makes absolutely no sense at all to START the season putting multiple guys in different positions when they have no history. It guarantees confusion.

He did that last year too, especially w/Randle. It is very evident that putting guys where they're most comfortable would expedite the learning curve when the experimentation starts. It would also help integrate the new players as well because they would learn to play and adapt to their new team mates. I like Luke, but his approach, at least to begin the season should be:

KISS= Keep It Simple Son
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: