OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1287, 1288, 1289 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
James has media whores bought and sold like the wily politician that he is ...

Or it could be that he has a better personality and interactions with the media and doesn't spend his time making burner Twitter accounts and getting into flame wars with random people.

But yeah, the most parsimonious answer is that he literally pays off all of the media and that Durant has never considered using his wealth to do the same.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
I don't like how he always looks for a pass without any intention to score.

Yeah. The Hawks put the ball in Trae Young's hands with everything on the line and he would've gotten the bucket if it wasn't for Tyson's heroics. I wish Lonzo had the type of ability and mental fortitude that the rookie has.

He's clearly not that kind of player at this point. Gary Payton always spoke highly of ZO and one thing he says is that how much he struggled as a scorer in his first 2 years in the league. He also played three seasons in college. Averaged 9.4 points in his 2nd NBA season and there were talks that Seattle would trade him. He developed an offensive game gradually and became a 20 ppg scorer in his 5th season. ZO already has the defense and playmaking so why not give him couple more years to become more as a scorer. He couldn't work on much except 3Pt shooting due to his knee surgery in the off season.

Key difference yesterday was that he got into the paint and gave easy dishes to Mcgee. He has the passing skills to find the bigs easily in traffic so that's what I want to see more from him. Be aggressive and he will get the team easy buckets even if he isn't looking to finish using his passing. Even if he misses couple of shots in the paint like yesterday, it will keep the defense guessing and opens up his passing game.

Young is also turning the ball over 4 times on average per game. Shooting 42% and 28% from three. ZO was on a totally different level as a playmaker and defender as a rookie. If he develops into a good scorer like Payton, he's pretty much unstoppable. Most top young players have some holes in their game that they have to develop. Right now ZO has the toughest parts figured out compared to modern PGs who usually struggle to be efficient ballhandlers, minimal defense while coming into the league as volume scorers even if not efficient.

No, he can't just chuck up shots and expect the defense to respect his shots. He HAS TO make them. You can't expect the defense to respect your layup/jumpshots if you keep throwing up airballs.

If he doesn't show a threat to score, the defense will just stay at home and stick to their men making it much difficult for Lonzo's teammates to score once they get the pass from Lonzo. Yes, he would be an amazing, amazing PG if he could develop those basics skills of an elite PG. I don't know if he could just go to the gym and start working on his driving layups and pull jumper/floater. If it was that easy, there'd be a lot of elite PG in the league.

His 3-pt percentage is not consistent enough for him to be a spot up shooter so right now, I don't know what kind of role he could play offensively. Lonzo is not gonna be like Trae Young or Donovan Mitchell. He could be like a Bruce Bowens if he could knock those threes. I see that as a potential role for him on the Lakers. Just play tough, solid defense and knock down those threes. Let Lebron, BI, and Rondo be the facilitators.

If only Bowen could average 7.2 assists with 2.6 TO as a rookie. It's obvious that you spend half your posts bashing Lonzo and has only patience with Ingram, but he's not close to being ZO's level as a facilitator consistently. And if ZO comes out aggressively to attack the rim, there will be enough movement for him to find Mcgee or drive and kick. He often goes away and takes a tougher shot with no option to pass.

And there are many elite scorers in the league. Being elite PG is a lot harder 'cos not many have the control and vision to be a efficient play maker with good assist/TO ratio. But maybe you pay no attention to playmaking part given the Bowen comparison.

I wish Lonzo would do that a lot. I wonder why he doesn't. Maybe it's because he throws up airball half the time? Defenses do not respect Lonzo's threat to score so when he drives, they stick to their men and let Lonzo have the layup. Sometimes, there's two guys on McGee and Lonzo still passes the ball to him. What's the point of giving McGee the ball when he isn't open and force him to make a tough jumper over the defenders?

Mcgee had a lot of easy points off ZO's dishes. Be it passes like last night or passing from behind which led to highlight dunks. Infact missed couple of easy finishes drawn from tip off. Not hard to see if you want to see. Airballs half the time? That was only in the Kings game. Way to blow things out of proportion. He doesn't attempt many shots in the paint actually. And he was finishing them early in the season. Problem is lack of attempts. As GT showed his possession time reduced to less than half this season. A lot of it is due to him passing and standing in the corner rather than taking the initiative. It has been different in some games like Nuggets, Mavs, Hawks and Spurs. But he needs to do it consistently.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

One guy said "so what if he makes a 3 or 2 every other game"

As if to say that is all Lonzo does
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

Couldn’t help but notice Zo’s lack of excitement for the win. He was initially happy, but didn’t participate with any of his teammates in the celebration. Maybe he didn’t want to get caught by Tyson’s or Lance’s haymakers? 😆
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Couldn’t help but notice Zo’s lack of excitement for the win. He was initially happy, but didn’t participate with any of his teammates in the celebration. Maybe he didn’t want to get caught by Tyson’s or Lance’s haymakers? 😆

Huh? He was the last guy to give Tyson a high five.
Go watch it again man.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
James has media whores bought and sold like the wily politician that he is ...

Or it could be that he has a better personality and interactions with the media and doesn't spend his time making burner Twitter accounts and getting into flame wars with random people.

But yeah, the most parsimonious answer is that he literally pays off all of the media and that Durant has never considered using his wealth to do the same.

Nah, he's right. LeBron's putting my kid through college.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

Lonzo has a lot of talent. Right now his rebounding, defense, and passing is making his game. But he needs to learn how to score and shoot better. It may come with more practice.

One thing is his game is similar to Rondo on the offensive end. Rondo knows a lot of tricks and Lonzo has to learn from it.
It seems like Lonzo fits better with Lebron for he is not ball dominant.
If he can learn to hit an open jumper he will make a giant
leap in his game.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
Lonzo has a lot of talent. Right now his rebounding, defense, and passing is making his game. But he needs to learn how to score and shoot better. It may come with more practice.

One thing is his game is similar to Rondo on the offensive end. Rondo knows a lot of tricks and Lonzo has to learn from it.
It seems like Lonzo fits better with Lebron for he is not ball dominant.
If he can learn to hit an open jumper he will make a giant
leap in his game.

So far he's bumped each of his fg/3pt/ft percentages by at least .054 from last year. If he gets back to being Mr everything like last year while improving his shooting %, he'll be pretty dang good.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
So far he's bumped each of his fg/3pt/ft percentages by at least .054 from last year. If he gets back to being Mr everything like last year while improving his shooting %, he'll be pretty dang good.

I'd say he's already there (outside of blocks, no idea why), his per 36 numbers are almost like last year, with better shooting. He's improved, but he's not playing enough...
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Go watch it again man.

I thought he was visibly frustrated at the end of the game yesterday and wasn’t as excited as other guys about the win. It’s a bad look. With that said, it’s understandable as he has to watch his team almost lose because he’s being inexplicably benched instead of playing and winning comfortably. He’s a young guy and is showing it. He’d be smart to stop sulking so much though. He’s getting unfairly treated, but this is pro sports, deal with it.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject:

durden-tyler wrote:
epak wrote:

I'd say he's already there (outside of blocks, no idea why), his per 36 numbers are almost like last year, with better shooting. He's improved, but he's not playing enough...

Coming off knee surgery i think it's understandable.i bet in the second half of the season his block percentage goes up. Minutes are also probably playing a factor. If he was playing 33 minutes per like last season i don't think 12-7-8-1-1 would be out of the question.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
durden-tyler wrote:
epak wrote:

Coming off knee surgery i think it's understandable.i bet in the second half of the season his block percentage goes up. Minutes are also probably playing a factor. If he was playing 33 minutes per like last season i don't think 12-7-8-1-1 would be out of the question.

And if he can learn how to make a layup in the next few months, you can add a few more points to that average. He doesn't even need to learn how to make floaters and bank shots this year - he can save that for the summer.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

Good game from Lonzo last night. His playmaking was on point. Offense became stagnant and inefficient when he was subbed out.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
And if he can learn how to make a layup in the next few months, you can add a few more points to that average. He doesn't even need to learn how to make floaters and bank shots this year - he can save that for the summer.

This. He leaves 3-4 points on the floor every night from missed layups & FT.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

I am not even going to pretend I watched most of the game closely last night....it was on, but I even had the score confused at the end of the game.....that said, wasn't Lonzo taken out last night to put BI on Young to slow him down at the end of the game?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I am not even going to pretend I watched most of the game closely last night....it was on, but I even had the score confused at the end of the game.....that said, wasn't Lonzo taken out last night to put BI on Young to slow him down at the end of the game?

I think he was benched for not staying attached and being late to close out on a deep Young 3. Same thing happened against Minny.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

I made a live appearance for this one; yes he was taken out after Trae hit a couple of 3s over him and Lonzo missed a shot or two (inefficient half floater-ish, should I pass or shoot type) I think Luke was going for more length and BI’s wingspan to bother Trae’s rhythm.

On another note, something you don’t see on TV. Lonzo practiced FTs during the halftime break and he made all of them. Something like 6/6. So that’s good...I believe he made his only 2 FTs in game too.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
epak wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Go watch it again man.

I thought he was visibly frustrated at the end of the game yesterday and wasn’t as excited as other guys about the win. It’s a bad look. With that said, it’s understandable as he has to watch his team almost lose because he’s being inexplicably benched instead of playing and winning comfortably. He’s a young guy and is showing it. He’d be smart to stop sulking so much though. He’s getting unfairly treated, but this is pro sports, deal with it.

I was addressing the celebration at the end. I know it wasn't OP's intention, but it made it seem like Lonzo didnt stick around for the celebration. Just pointing out that he was there, and was the last guy to high hive Tyson after the bear hug from Lebron. That being said, Lonzo's celebrations aren't demonstrative in the first place.

Re: his minutes. I'd like him to play more. But I'm OK with him sitting the end of games if the team wins. Most important for the team early as they try to gel are getting wins, IMO.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I made a live appearance for this one; yes he was taken out after Trae hit a couple of 3s over him and Lonzo missed a shot or two (inefficient half floater-ish, should I pass or shoot type) I think Luke was going for more length and BI’s wingspan to bother Trae’s rhythm.

On another note, something you don’t see on TV. Lonzo practiced FTs during the halftime break and he made all of them. Something like 6/6. So that’s good...I believe he made his only 2 FTs in game too.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I think he was benched for not staying attached and being late to close out on a deep Young 3. Same thing happened against Minny.

like I said, I thought we were up by 1 when Lebron was shooting free throws....I was claiming it was a dumb play by Kuzma for not bringing the ball back out because I thought we had the lead. Point is I was kind of listening/watching for most of the 2nd half, but do not even know when Ball went out of the game. On NBA Radio this AM I thought they kind of made it sound like he was benched because of Young....or more so Ingrams length caused Young issues to finish the game.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
epak wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Go watch it again man.

I was addressing the celebration at the end. I know it wasn't OP's intention, but it made it seem like Lonzo didnt stick around for the celebration. Just pointing out that he was there, and was the last guy to high hive Tyson after the bear hug from Lebron. That being said, Lonzo's celebrations aren't demonstrative in the first place.

Re: his minutes. I'd like him to play more. But I'm OK with him sitting the end of games if the team wins. Most important for the team early as they try to gel are getting wins, IMO.

Do you think they are winning because he isn’t playing late or despite the fact he isn’t playing late? I think it’s the latter especially in the Atlanta and Minny games.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
adkindo wrote:

like I said, I thought we were up by 1 when Lebron was shooting free throws....I was claiming it was a dumb play by Kuzma for not bringing the ball back out because I thought we had the lead. Point is I was kind of listening/watching for most of the 2nd half, but do not even know when Ball went out of the game. On NBA Radio this AM I thought they kind of made it sound like he was benched because of Young....or more so Ingrams length caused Young issues to finish the game.

Would be interested to see the numbers but I’m pretty confident Young did most of his scoring when Lonzo wasn’t guarding him and Ingram struggled keeping Young in front of him but protected the 3 point line better.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
epak wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Go watch it again man.

He was taken out because of his defense. Trae Young was effective against him.

Also he was not a 3 point threat.

He has not had a break out game yet this year.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
epak wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Go watch it again man.

He was 2-2 from 3 and I disagree about the Trae Young part. Would love to see his numbers vs Lonzo compared to other players last night.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
epak wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Go watch it again man.

(bleep), Lonzo was 2-3 in 3-pt attempts suprisingly Hart was 2-7
I want Luke gone if he keeps thinking of shelving Zo in the 4th every damn game
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1287, 1288, 1289 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1288 of 1688
Jump to: