Who likes Charts? - 11/12/18 Edition

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellspawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Who likes Charts? - 11/12/18 Edition

I decided to plot three of my favorite metrics against each other: WS/48, True Shooting %, and Usage % to create a picture of most players on the team. Too bad I don't see a way to attach the image to this post.

(Raw data adjusted to fit the chart, relativity remains. Click the magnifying glass)

https://imgur.com/a/nIMoQ6k

Of course this chart is fairly useless without context. Here are some takeaways:

*Lance's numbers across the board are very similar to Kuzmas. This does not mean that they are equally skilled players, but it means that Lance helps the second unit in the minutes he provides about as much as Kuzma helps the first unit. I think many of us have been very impressed with Lance this year. I am pleasantly surprised at his relative shooting efficiency.

*Rondo and Lonzo both spend time with both 1st and 2nd units and both have similar numbers across the board, which means that Rondo's leadership, communication, decision making, and ability to finish at the rim are about of equal value to Lonzo's defense, rebounding, and lower turnover rate. Shooting efficiency and assist % are very similar between them.

*Josh hart, who is very efficient with his shooting and provides a huge boost during his minutes on the floor, could potentially be even better with higher usage %, or at this early stage in his career, higher usage could make him more inefficient and less helpful. Hard to tell at this point.

*BI helps the team less than KCP per minute, despite having a higher usage rate and equal shooting efficiency. The discrepancy is caused by some combination of: turnovers/rebounds/assists/defense. Looking at the stats, it is due to BI's turnovers relative to KCPs, as BI is more ball dominant, as his other metrics are similar or superior to KCP's. edit: Another reason he helps the team less than KCP is because BI's higher Usage % means he uses up more plays that another player with a higher TS% (and who is less turnover prone) could be using instead.

*If it wasn't clear to anyone before, though it has been obvious all season, Javale's defense is nearly as important to the team as LBJ's offense and all around game.

Last edited by Hellspawn on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:55 am; edited 3 times in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Awesome work.
Hellspawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Awesome work.

Thank you, sir!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Javale and Lance have been a pleasant surprise so far.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Hellspawn wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Awesome work.

Thank you, sir!

--Anonymous
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

The disparity between the green and red bar on Josh Hart is the most interesting thing to me. How much would his TS% drop if they amped up his role?
Hellspawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject:

My pleasure, guys!

greenfrog wrote:
The disparity between the green and red bar on Josh Hart is the most interesting thing to me. How much would his TS% drop if they amped up his role?

It is hard to tell yet if Hart is talented and experienced enough to maintain his great efficiency with increased minutes and Usage %. He could continue at his current pace and remain an awesome role player, or he could be more.

But the coaching decision currently seems to be that BI's defensive versatility and Kuzma's offensive versatility will cause both of them continue to eat into Hart's minutes and Usage %.

My opinion is that Maginka are aware than Kuz and Hart synergize better with LBJ than BI and at some point moves will be made unless he turns a serious corner very soon, but they have to maintain BI's value by starting him. The hope was that Durant was his ceiling, but if you compare their numbers at equivalent stages in their career, it is clear that will never happen. With normal skill progression and LBJ here attracting so much attention, BI should be getting more efficient, but he is actually getting less efficient. Hopefully he figures it out, whether he stays or goes.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Hellspawn wrote:
My pleasure, guys!

greenfrog wrote:

It is hard to tell yet if Hart is talented and experienced enough to maintain his great efficiency with increased minutes and Usage %. He could continue at his current pace and remain an awesome role player, or he could be more.

But the coaching decision currently seems to be that BI's defensive versatility and Kuzma's offensive versatility will cause both of them continue to eat into Hart's minutes and Usage %.

My opinion is that Maginka are aware than Kuz and Hart synergize better with LBJ than BI and at some point moves will be made unless he turns a serious corner very soon, but they have to maintain BI's value by starting him. The hope was that Durant was his ceiling, but if you compare their numbers at equivalent stages in their career, it is clear that will never happen. With normal skill progression and LBJ here attracting so much attention, BI should be getting more efficient, but he is actually getting less efficient. Hopefully he figures it out, whether he stays or goes.

Spot on with your evaluation of BI and the FO. I suspect he won't be a Laker by the time the trading deadline rolls around next season, perhaps sooner depending on what opportunities they are presented with. Not saying I don't think Ingram will develop into a very good player. I just think he is most likely to fall victim to the circumstances.

Thanks for sharing the data. Mostly affirms things that were fairly evident. But, still much appreciated.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Finally took a look at this - good stuff. The chart tells a story based on the data underneath it, and provides a pretty decent visual in the process.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

Aside from the Shaqtin moments Lance has been solid. I don't get why some want to replace his minutes with someone like Ariza other than the stigma of him as a knucklehead.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject:

Great work. This matches the eyeball test as well for me. What this tells me is that both Hart and Lonzo need more minutes. There is no net advantage to playing Rondo more minutes than Lonzo. There's minimal upside there. Hart has been great. Luke, get your (bleep) together with your rotations, please.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: