SAS: Carmelo Anthony to the Lakers a Real Possibility
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
I think Melo will fit well with Lebron.

Wow. No. If anything, Melo would be best served on the court without Lebron. Melo is an on ball ISO scorer and that's all he is good at.

Think about this -- Tyson Chandler this season averages more assists per game than Carmelo Anthony does this season. That's how much of a ball stopper he is.

The guys who will do well with Lebron are off ball guys. Cutters and maybe players who can come off multiple screens and stuff like that. Guys who know how to get open off the ball.

I can't think of a worse player to pair with Lebron.

Add to that we try to play with pace and he doesn't fit there. Meanwhile, Houston is playing at the second slowest pace, and he doesn't fit there either.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

The only way to use Melo a this point is limited minutes off the bench. He would probably rather retire than do that.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

kb24GOAT wrote:
SAS has been a carmelo mouthpiece over the years. two f***ing clowns if you ask me. melo doesn't have the swag that he once (ever?) had in the NBA and won't have his mediocre a** picked up. nobody, not even SAS can speak that into existence.

He needs the Lakers to sign Melo because he can use him to get closer to the team. He has always used Iverson, Melo, and Kobe to make it seem like he is one of the guys. The younger players don't seem to give him the time of day.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

I'd rather give his minutes to Beasley, who's been patiently waiting on the bench for some minutes. At this point Beas is a better player than Melo.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

Clark Kent wrote:
Woj reporting that Carmelo has an offer to go play in Puerto Rico.

It is for the National Team. We got 2 games in December for the Qualifying Window of the Worlds C

Adrian Wojnarowski
(@wojespn)
Carmelo Anthony does have an offer: Puerto Rico's national team. JJ Barea tells ESPN: "If he ever wants a chance to represent us, it would be awesome to have him." Story on ESPN: .
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
I am going to say this.....if Melo comes for cheap, if he can hit a shot, great. He could possibly produce a shot or two that we aren't getting from Beasley.

I am not a Melo guy but I am not going to jump on the FO if they decide to take him on. I am not......I have faith in the FO.

Do I agree, Melo is done? Maybe....maybe not 100%. Like I said, I have never been a Melo fan but if Magic and Pelinka and Lebron think he can offer something, I am not going to disagree.

I don't think the issue is whether he can hit a shot or not. I have no doubt that through the span of a season, he could probably go on a crazy shooting spree. I think the issue is his presence. There's a reason Houston was so quick to cut him. Otherwise, they would just sit him and use him for practice and trash minutes.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
I think the issue is his presence. There's a reason Houston was so quick to cut him. Otherwise, they would just sit him and use him for practice and trash minutes.

Exactly. He’s an inefficient ISO player who refuses to play defense and take a lesser bench role. He could be one of the more talented players in the league, but his ego won’t allow him to just accept what he can contribute at this stage of his career. Time to retire. Some guys just can’t accept not being the man.

Lakers are trying to make their way back to the playoffs and respectability, so can’t have that cloud over the team.
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Warriors have "no interest" in signing Melo. Info from Marc Spears.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
I think the issue is his presence. There's a reason Houston was so quick to cut him. Otherwise, they would just sit him and use him for practice and trash minutes.

Exactly. He’s an inefficient ISO player who refuses to play defense and take a lesser bench role. He could be one of the more talented players in the league, but his ego won’t allow him to just accept what he can contribute at this stage of his career. Time to retire. Some guys just can’t accept not being the man.

Lakers are trying to make their way back to the playoffs and respectability, so can’t have that cloud over the team.

Gotta give it up to Vince Carter. He transitioned from superstar to role player so smoothly.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
I am going to say this.....if Melo comes for cheap, if he can hit a shot, great. He could possibly produce a shot or two that we aren't getting from Beasley.

I am not a Melo guy but I am not going to jump on the FO if they decide to take him on. I am not......I have faith in the FO.

Do I agree, Melo is done? Maybe....maybe not 100%. Like I said, I have never been a Melo fan but if Magic and Pelinka and Lebron think he can offer something, I am not going to disagree.

I don't think the issue is whether he can hit a shot or not. I have no doubt that through the span of a season, he could probably go on a crazy shooting spree. I think the issue is his presence. There's a reason Houston was so quick to cut him. Otherwise, they would just sit him and use him for practice and trash minutes.

What shot can Melo hit? A midrange jumper? He is not a good three-point shooter. He isn’t efficient. Who cares about him hitting a shot when he misses a bunch of shots that would be better shots if they were taken by his teammates? And to make things worse he doesn’t defend so the other team will hit more shots.

If Melo was shooting 40% from three then that would be a valuable skill but we know he isn’t going to do that.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject:

In his 10 games with the Rockets, Carmelo had these shooting numbers in 6 of them:

3-10
3-10
3-8
2-12
3-9
1-11

Looks more like a guy that can’t hit a shot than a guy that can. And even in one of his good games when he was 8-14 he was 1-7 on threes.

To anyone that says the team can get him cheap, he can cost a team some games in that standings. That’s not cheap. The Rockets are still trying to dig themselves out of the hole that he helped put them in.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Shut up, Stephen!!!
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JJhQ3TuaTRw
SAS talking about Melo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N-DWVzq8DP0
Sam Amick talking about Melo at the beginning.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject:

I dont want anymore mid range shooters
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
SAS talking about Melo.

Sam Amick seems to think the LeBron and Carmelo friendship is a real thing which can force the FOs hand to sign him, I just hope it isn’t a D-Wade situation like last year, Wade was completely mediocre as a Cav, I’m hoping at the least the Carmelo pick up ends up being like how the Jazz got good minutes out of Joe Johnson without Carmelo causing problems.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
SAS talking about Melo.

Sam Amick seems to think the LeBron and Carmelo friendship is a real thing which can force the FOs hand to sign him, I just hope it isn’t a D-Wade situation like last year, Wade was completely mediocre as a Cav, I’m hoping at the least the Carmelo pick up ends up being like how the Jazz got good minutes out of Joe Johnson without Carmelo causing problems with young players and team problems.

I get your point but.... whew
https://media.giphy.com/media/l2Sqc3POpzkj5r8SQ/giphy.gif
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Chad09 wrote:
SAS talking about Melo.

Sam Amick seems to think the LeBron and Carmelo friendship is a real thing which can force the FOs hand to sign him, I just hope it isn’t a D-Wade situation like last year, Wade was completely mediocre as a Cav, I’m hoping at the least the Carmelo pick up ends up being like how the Jazz got good minutes out of Joe Johnson without Carmelo causing problems with young players and team problems.

I get your point but.... whew
https://media.giphy.com/media/l2Sqc3POpzkj5r8SQ/giphy.gif

Lol that’s hilarious
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

When I look past what Melo has or hasn't accomplished in his career, I can't help but to think of LeBron giving him the green light their rookie season to form a legendary rivalry. Melo is LeBron without the follow through.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
In his 10 games with the Rockets, Carmelo had these shooting numbers in 6 of them:

3-10
3-10
3-8
2-12
3-9
1-11

Looks more like a guy that can’t hit a shot than a guy that can. And even in one of his good games when he was 8-14 he was 1-7 on threes.

To anyone that says the team can get him cheap, he can cost a team some games in that standings. That’s not cheap. The Rockets are still trying to dig themselves out of the hole that he helped put them in.

Sexy numbers 😂😂😂😂😂
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
When I look past what Melo has or hasn't accomplished in his career, I can't help but to think of LeBron giving him the green light their rookie season to form a legendary rivalry. Melo is LeBron without the follow through.

Melo is not close to LeBron in any form. He's just an ineffective
gunner today.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject:

If - and this is a big if - Lebron is pushing for Anthony, I think he can be reasoned with. We have greater team needs that will have to be addressed first and Anthony's skillset is not something we're looking for. I fully believe Lebron puts winning first.

But in the final analysis, what Lebron thinks - or demands - shouldn't matter anymore. It did in the summer but that's in the past. Now, Lebron has signed a 4 year contract, he's locked in. He had a ton of leverage in Cleveland because he was doing short term deals and could bolt at any time. He can't do that here. Magic and Rob need to do what's best for the lakers, not what pleases Lebron.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:

It's too bad Melo still thinks of himself as a starter level player much like AI did in Memphis.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject:

There's a REASON you can get him for cheap.

A very strong one.

If Melo couldn't work as an off ball threat with the combined passing efforts of Harden and Chris Paul, then there's a problem.

The only way that Melo would come here and somehow set the world ablaze is if he was tanking in Houston to intentionally be let go so that he could come here.

But imo if we wanted to "Melo it up" we should be playing Beasley. He's looked better in the pre-season than Melo has looked all year.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

He’s better than Beasley. Having him back up Lebron at the 4 for 10-12 minutes a game might help our rotations over the next 4-5 weeks until rondo comes back. It’s a guarantee that at least one other player will miss some time before rondo gets back as well.

At this point I’d rather give Carmelo 10 minutes a game then SVI, who’s been straight awful. Caruso sucks as well, I say cut Beasley and sign Carmelo.

The real question is if Carmelo is willing to play off the bench 10 minutes a game.....it seems like he thinks he is still good.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

Svi's shooting has been off, but you do expect it to start to come around as he gets up to NBA speed.

His defense however is up to NBA speed, while Melo's is never going to catch it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: