THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1260, 1261, 1262 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Interesting read (a little old, but I missed it the first time):

Why Trump Supporters Believe He Is Not Corrupt

Quote:
Cohen’s admission highlights one of the enduring riddles of the Trump era. Trump’s supporters say they care about corruption. During the campaign, they cheered his vow to “drain the swamp” in Washington, D.C. When Morning Consult asked Americans in May 2016 to explain why they disliked Hillary Clinton, the second-most-common answer was that she was “corrupt.” And yet, Trump supporters appear largely unfazed by the mounting evidence that Trump is the least ethical president in modern American history. When asked last month whether they considered Trump corrupt, only 14 percent of Republicans said yes. Even Cohen’s allegation is unlikely to change that.

Quote:
The answer may lie in how Trump and his supporters define corruption. In a forthcoming book titled How Fascism Works, the Yale philosophy professor Jason Stanley makes an intriguing claim. “Corruption, to the fascist politician,” he suggests, “is really about the corruption of purity rather than of the law. Officially, the fascist politician’s denunciations of corruption sound like a denunciation of political corruption. But such talk is intended to evoke corruption in the sense of the usurpation of the traditional order.”

Quote:
Why were Trump’s supporters so convinced that Clinton was the more corrupt candidate even as reporters uncovered far more damning evidence about Trump’s foundation than they did about Clinton’s? Likely because Clinton’s candidacy threatened traditional gender roles. For many Americans, female ambition—especially in service of a feminist agenda—in and of itself represents a form of corruption. “When female politicians were described as power-seeking,” noted the Yale researchers Victoria Brescoll and Tyler Okimoto in a 2010 study, “participants experienced feelings of moral outrage (i.e., contempt, anger, and/or disgust).

The same attitude exists toward Pelosi. And not all of it from GOP. #FiveWhiteGuys
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The same attitude exists toward Pelosi. And not all of it from GOP. #FiveWhiteGuys

Yep. That's been the warning sign that concerns me in regards to whether the Dems can truly get their (bleep) together and be truly effective in dismantling this debacle we are experiencing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

Oh hell, now Trump's gonna claim we should be raking the oceans....

Like This Guy
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Yep. That's been the warning sign that concerns me in regards to whether the Dems can truly get their (bleep) together and be truly effective in dismantling this debacle we are experiencing.

Pelosi has already picked people off their side. She just gave Marcia Fudge a chairmanship to restore the Voting Rights act and other voting rights issues. Now Fudge supports Pelosi. She's playing chess, Seth Moulton and the other white moderate guys are playing checkers. Moulton had a town hall last night and he got an earful from angry constituents. Women and progressives having been working for 2 years to make the mid-terms successful. We're not letting the #FiveWhiteGuy moderates wreck it now. I think things will work out fine in the end.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/CNNSitRoom/status/1065023224893841408

I feel lightheaded.

Think I'm done with the news for tonight.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Laura Bassett ( a t ) LEBassett

Really comforting, as a journalist, to know that another country’s leader can order you chopped up with a bone saw and our president will just shrug and keep working with them. These are special times

Obama would have done the same thing. Perhaps he would've issued more of a stern rebuke publicly, and not answered questions in the same way that Trump does (of course), but nothing would be fundamentally different. We are in bed with the Saudis.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Laura Bassett (@) LEBassett

Really comforting, as a journalist, to know that another country’s leader can order you chopped up with a bone saw and our president will just shrug and keep working with them. These are special times

Obama would have done the same thing. Perhaps he would've issued more of a stern rebuke publicly, and not answered questions in the same way that Trump does (of course), but nothing would be fundamentally different. We are in bed with the Saudis.

Yup. What did we do after a team of Saudi hijackers brought down the twin towers, put a gaping hole in the pentagon, and killed 3,000 of our countrymen?

We...bombed Iraq and Afghanistan! Sure showed the Saudis who's boss.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Laura Bassett ( a t ) LEBassett

They chopped up a journalist. We would have done sanctions and verbally rebuked them at a minimum. OBAMA NEVER SAID OVER AND OVER THAT THE PRESS WAS THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE. HE NEVER SIGNALED TO AUTOCRATS THAT IT WOULD BE OKAY BY HIM IF THEY MURDERED ONE OF OUR JOURNALISTS.

I am offended that people compare Trump in any way to Obama.

And oh yeah, Obama wasn't personally profiting from foreign policy the way Trump is.

I can't even...

I suggest you go back and read Trump's statement and all the articles I posted indicating Trump/Kushner probably tacitly gave the Saudis permission before hand, played dumb during the incident, helped Saudi's cover it up after the fact, then still deny the CIA conclusion even now. Trump is lying about the size of the supposed arms deals by a factor of hundreds of billions.

No, Obama wouldn't have done that. That's a huge difference in and of itself no matter what happens from here on out.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject:

^
IF we had involvement beforehand in allowing them to carry it out, then yes, I absolutely was not aware of that. And I agree that Obama would not have done that. But I do think we are in bed with the Saudis, and if they had done this to Khashoggi under an Obama Administration, I don't think we would have done anything drastic other than a stern rebuke. I just think that we are in bed with them, and have been for a long time.

But yes, if they were able to accomplish this with the Trump Administration's aid, then what I said was misguided.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Germany ended all arms sales to Saudi Arabia and issued travel bans to certain Saudi citizens.
I could see Obama doing something like that.
At the minimum, the UN probe would've started by now.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Even Republicans Bob Corker and Lindsay Graham are talking about canceling arms sales and sanctions. We'll see what happens, but this is a big deal. This is not the regular business as usual with the Saudis.

Quote:
Senator Bob Corker -at- SenBobCorker

Under the law, the president is now required to determine whether MbS is responsible and report to our committee with a determination and a decision on the imposition of sanctions. Read our letter:

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lindsey Graham -at- LindseyGrahamSC

While Saudi Arabia is a strategic ally, the behavior of the Crown Prince – in multiple ways – has shown disrespect for the relationship and made him, in my view, beyond toxic.

I firmly believe there will be strong bipartisan support for serious sanctions against Saudi Arabia, including appropriate members of the royal family, for this barbaric act which defied all civilized norms.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Lindsey Graham (@) LindseyGrahamSC

While Saudi Arabia is a strategic ally, the behavior of the Crown Prince – in multiple ways – has shown disrespect for the relationship and made him, in my view, beyond toxic.

I firmly believe there will be strong bipartisan support for serious sanctions against Saudi Arabia, including appropriate members of the royal family, for this barbaric act which defied all civilized norms.

You mean the “If Jeff Sessions is fired, there will be holy hell to pay,” Lindsey Graham?

That one?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Lindsey Graham (@) LindseyGrahamSC

You mean the “If Jeff Sessions is fired, there will be holy hell to pay,” Lindsey Graham?

That one?

That's why I said earlier, "we'll see." But at this point for them to even speak out and threaten to do their jobs is sadly, breaking-news. My point was this was not business as usual. Because business as usual would be for Graham to immediately BACK UP Trump. Crumbs, I realize.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Ned Price on MSNBC is right...it's all about business opportunities AFTER the presidency for trump...

he has his eyes on those white sand beaches of NK, the golf courses of Moscow, business in Israel/Venezuela/Scotland/Dubia/so many countries..so many conflicts
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Lindsey Graham _at_ LindseyGrahamSC

That one?

That's why I said earlier, "we'll see." But at this point for them to even speak out and threaten to do their jobs is sadly, breaking-news. My point was this was not business as usual. Because business as usual would be for Graham to immediately BACK UP Trump. Crumbs, I realize.

But as the quote I posted above indicates, saying one thing for appearance's sake and then disappearing when action is what really matters is business as usual.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

We'll see. We don't yet know if they'll take action or not.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject:

CL, I certainly hope it's not business as usual with the Saudis.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject:

Fwiw, while I disagree with many aspects of Obama’s foreign policy, but he had an actual interest in the interest of both the US and our allies. And he was playing a delicate game of playing both sides of the Iran vs Saudi Arabia issue, using them against each other while making both dependent on us.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
Interesting read (a little old, but I missed it the first time):

Why Trump Supporters Believe He Is Not Corrupt

Quote:
Cohen’s admission highlights one of the enduring riddles of the Trump era. Trump’s supporters say they care about corruption. During the campaign, they cheered his vow to “drain the swamp” in Washington, D.C. When Morning Consult asked Americans in May 2016 to explain why they disliked Hillary Clinton, the second-most-common answer was that she was “corrupt.” And yet, Trump supporters appear largely unfazed by the mounting evidence that Trump is the least ethical president in modern American history. When asked last month whether they considered Trump corrupt, only 14 percent of Republicans said yes. Even Cohen’s allegation is unlikely to change that.

Quote:
The answer may lie in how Trump and his supporters define corruption. In a forthcoming book titled How Fascism Works, the Yale philosophy professor Jason Stanley makes an intriguing claim. “Corruption, to the fascist politician,” he suggests, “is really about the corruption of purity rather than of the law. Officially, the fascist politician’s denunciations of corruption sound like a denunciation of political corruption. But such talk is intended to evoke corruption in the sense of the usurpation of the traditional order.”

Quote:
Why were Trump’s supporters so convinced that Clinton was the more corrupt candidate even as reporters uncovered far more damning evidence about Trump’s foundation than they did about Clinton’s? Likely because Clinton’s candidacy threatened traditional gender roles. For many Americans, female ambition—especially in service of a feminist agenda—in and of itself represents a form of corruption. “When female politicians were described as power-seeking,” noted the Yale researchers Victoria Brescoll and Tyler Okimoto in a 2010 study, “participants experienced feelings of moral outrage (i.e., contempt, anger, and/or disgust).

i aint buying that with pelosi as much. now it exists with any and all women, lets just admit to that right now. but that aint the issue with pelosi. remember she's being challenged by her own by other WOMEN. not just men. those other women and other men are not necessarily requesting a man be put into her place. they are okay with a newer younger and what they see as a more progressive woman or man.

But its 100% true on hillary and the trump supporters or republicans period. but we already knew this. no need for a study. lol. this is just reason 1080 why we need not give these people as much influence in our country.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Laura Bassett [ at ] LEBassett

Yup. What did we do after a team of Saudi hijackers brought down the twin towers, put a gaping hole in the pentagon, and killed 3,000 of our countrymen?

We...bombed Iraq and Afghanistan! Sure showed the Saudis who's boss.

That's a glowing assessment of the stability of the Middle Least (the lesser conference) that the US hangs on tooth and nail to a frenemy like SA.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
https://twitter.com/CNNSitRoom/status/1065023224893841408

I feel lightheaded.

Think I'm done with the news for tonight.

If it makes you feel better, he's only off by about $410 billion, and that's if you combine actual military sales and all other US exports to the Saudis.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

Latest count: Democrats have an 8.8 million vote lead in the House popular vote. That is the largest victory in the history of midterms.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Germany ended all arms sales to Saudi Arabia and issued travel bans to certain Saudi citizens.

That’s why a businessman should not be president. Sadly, Mr T is demonstrating this.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
kikanga wrote:

That’s why a businessman should not be president. Sadly, Mr T is demonstrating this.

Please friend, don’t call that piece of (bleep) Mr. T.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1260, 1261, 1262 ... 3670, 3671, 3672  Next
Page 1261 of 3672
Jump to: