JAZZ -at- LAKERS – 11-23-18 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: JAZZ -at- LAKERS – 11-23-18 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Ugly Win… Maybe they were in that post Thanksgiving funk, but the two teams combined for 42 turnovers in the Lakers 90-83 home win over the Jazz.

There were sequences in this game where turnovers were quickly countered with turnovers on the other end of the court. Just not pretty basketball at times.

It almost felt like they (or at least LeBron) was toying with the Jazz. A big three by LeBron with more than 3 minutes left in the game finally gave the Lakers some separation.

(Note: I could only watch the last three quarters from my phone, so just a brief write-up tonight.)

LeBron -- -- Slow first half, then he picked it up in the second half. Really seemed like he was sitting back and letting others do their thing until the fourth when it was time to get serious. He hit what amounted to a dagger three from about 28 feet with over 3 minutes left to give the Lakers a small cushion, which they coasted in. Some sloppy turnovers. The Stats: He scored 22 points on 8-17 shooting (2-5 from three, 4-6 from the line) to go with 10 boards, 7 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 5 turnovers and 1 foul in 35 minutes. He was a +13.

Ball -- -- More aggressive bursts from Lonzo again. He’s changing gears in half court and getting the D on its heels. That LeBron/Lonzo two-man sequence is very deadly when it turns into a quick extra-man advantage with the ball in Lonzo’s hands. There are still plenty of possessions where he falls back into not being a threat (one late in the game where he just dumped the ball off to McGee 15 feet from the hoop and the offense completely stalled out…but he also had another attack off the screen-roll with LeBron, which he fed McGee for a dunk. Great job hitting the boards. Usually, that’s a sign of his aggressiveness picking up. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 4-10 shooting (1-2 from three) to go with 10 boards, 2 assists, 1 block, 4 turnovers and 4 fouls in 33 minutes. He was a +13.

Ingram -- -- He had a dunk early on, and another later on an attack down the middle of the lane (Lakers had a lot more of that in this game than usual). He sank a couple of threes. My favorite was the step-back three on iso on a mismatch with a big. First, I’m not sure I recall seeing him ever make one of those. I mentioned recently that he doesn’t hunt for threes, that’s one of those types of plays that guys who are three shooters will take. So glad to see him drill that. On the bad side, some really sloppy, even lazy, turnovers. The Stats: He scored 24 points on 8-14 shooting (2-3 from three, 6-10 from the line) to go with 6 boards, 2 steals, 6 turnovers and 3 fouls in 37 minutes. He was a +10.

Kuzma -- -- Uggh. He was a tough-shot taker in this game. And not a maker. Up against the shotclock on a couple, but he was clanking away. The slow pace in this one certainly hurt him. He did have some moments on the boards as well as a couple of steals. So, at least we are seeing a little more of that lately. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 4-12 shooting (1-5 from three, 0-1 from the line) to go with 6 boards, 2 steals, 2 turnover and 2 fouls in 29 minutes. He was a +5.

McGee -- -- The defense at times seemed a bit lazy as a team. JaVale helped the energy and covering up mistakes. He had a couple blocks and a few steals. They looked for him at the rim for some scores and he also showed some nice touch on some plays a few feet further out. The Stats: He scored 12 points on 6-9 shooting to go with 4 boards, 3 steals, 2 blocks, 2 turnovers and 3 fouls in 27 minutes. He was a +8.

Hart -- -- Quiet night for Hart. He missed both threes he took. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-2 shooting from three to go with 2 boards, 1 turnover and no fouls in 14 minutes. He was a -3.

Chandler -- -- It felt like some of our ugliest defensive stands were with him out there on the floor. Just a lot of open space for the Jazz and we were fortunate not to get abused by it. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-1 shooting to go with 4 boards and 2 fouls in 19 minutes. He was a -1.

Stephenson -- -- He had a big score on a drive with over 5 minutes left. One of those where he hangs and scores over a big. He led the bench in scoring and turnovers. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-7 shooting (1-2 from three) to go with 3 boards, 1 steal, 3 turnovers and 1 foul in 18 minutes. He was a +1.

Caldwell-Pope -- Man, he nearly had a monster jam over Gobert that would have been a highlight reel play. Gobert used his off-arm to knock KCP back and the dunk back rimmed up into the rafters. No call, unfortunately. He missed all four of his threes tonight. He did have a nice steal and score in the fourth. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 2-7 shooting (0-4 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 turnover and 4 fouls in 27 minutes. He was a -11.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject:

First! Thanks db
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

Crappy played game but a win is a win!
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
Thanks DB.

Crappy played game but a win is a win!

Bingo. Survive and advance.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Approaching .600. One game out of first in the West.

I agree with your observation about it appearing LeBron was toying with the Jazz for 3 quarters. This looked like a seminar in how to coast through an early season game, knowing it's an 82 game season, come alive briefly, clamp down and steamroll a team just long enough to secure a win, then get some rest.

Ugly, but that 11-7 record looks just fine right now.

Second game in a row with angry Lonzo. I'm just fine seeing this too right now. The more he does this, the more those close in shots start falling.

drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject:

Just saw on twitter - Lakers are 3-0 in games where they turn the ball over more than 20 times, lol
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject:

There are no ugly wins... only wins! Go Lakers
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject:

What a sloppy game, pretty hard to watch, the O crawled to a stop, turnovers galore, thankfully the Jazz didn't do themselves any favours with their game as well. You probably don't win this one against a good team. Kuzma is challenging Ingram as the player who has the most troubles fighting through screens; I thought he should've been benched at the end for that reason alone.

But, in the end, a win is a win.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Maybe I am over reacting, but I am starting to worry a little bit about Kuz.
Kobe2Lonz0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Just saw on twitter - Lakers are 3-0 in games where they turn the ball over more than 20 times, lol

Somewhere in the distance Kwami Brown sits up straight

“I can still fumble a Perfect pass out of bounds!”
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB,

Well at least we are winning the ugly ones more often than not. I would rather win ugly than lose pretty.

2 games Ball seems to have been aggressive and it makes a difference. He seems to be figuring things out and he is impacting the game more and more.

BI: Finally though I thought he could have found the open man a few times and his ball security was really bad.

Kuz: Please come back. You work hard all summer and you seem to regress. Just make a few shots already.

Lebron: Gotta say that was a stinker in the 1st half.

KCP: Time to take it to another level but at least you are back.

Hart: Another guy who works hard all summer and seems to regress.

McGee: I thought the refs screwed you a few times at least.
akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject:

a win is a win, and Utah is always a tough game for us historically.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:

I don’t even think twice about the ugliness of this game. I kind of expect it against Utah.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

My favorite part of the game: Stu saying "one of those dookies is better than the other dookie."
Kobe2Lonz0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
My favorite part of the game: Stu saying "one of those dookies is better than the other dookie."

I will Always love that Dude..... no matter how grumpy he’s gotten
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

I don’t even think twice about the ugliness of this game. I kind of expect it against Utah.

After seeing where Utah was in the playoffs last year (borderline dominant) vs. where we were last year, I will take any win vs. them very happily.

Lakers are starting to get it together as I anticipated, they will be a major force to be reckoned with after the first of the year.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. I liked BI’s game last night especially the step back 3 over RG. Lonzo’s aggressiveness is great to see as well. 23 turnovers, 10 assists, scored 90 points and we still found a way to get the W. That’s a great sign IMO.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers still have no reasonble half-court offense. Luckily LeBron can take most of them one-on-one. But it does not feel like a long-term success strategy.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Felt like a preseason game

Ugly win, but a win is a win
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:
The Lakers still have no reasonble half-court offense. Luckily LeBron can take most of them one-on-one. But it does not feel like a long-term success strategy.

They’ve got bits and pieces of things that work, but the playbook is still quite thin. Hopefully, it starts getting a bit more fleshed out.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Missed the game and watched the replay a little bit ago. Ugly game but nice win.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: