Official Isaac Bonga Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Can Pelister out there re-tweeting Bonga G-League highlights like a proud papa even tho they're the same age.
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Can Pelister out there re-tweeting Bonga G-League highlights like a proud papa even tho they're the same age.

When he makes a three, my wife says "Bingo" Bonga. (I like Bonga because his body language is so strange at this point in his development.) Hope he makes it into a rotation one day. Went to watch last game but apparently he was hurt.
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

What is the status on his injury?
Kobe2Lonz0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

JM wrote:

When he makes a three, my wife says "Bingo" Bonga. (I like Bonga because his body language is so strange at this point in his development.) Hope he makes it into a rotation one day. Went to watch last game but apparently he was hurt.

CHERISH her!

Last edited by Kobe2Lonz0 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Every time the Lakers lose I think of Isaac Bonga and his future statue and all my worries and fears subside.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject:

Irony aside, can he be worse than BI?
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:

15.8 points (46.5% fg, 34.5% 3p), 4.6 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 0.7 steals, 0.7 blocks in 32 minutes... Leads all Lakers starts in on/off differential. Seriously what could be worse than that?
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
matigol wrote:

15.8 points (46.5% fg, 34.5% 3p), 4.6 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 0.7 steals, 0.7 blocks in 32 minutes... Leads all Lakers starts in on/off differential. Seriously what could be worse than that?

....in his third year as a #2 Pick! 2,5 TOs and 67% FTs

Where's the wow-effect?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
matigol wrote:

Where's the wow-effect?

late bloomer... hard for me to be patient as well. but nontheless I'm interested to see what Ingram looks like in 2 seasons
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject:

I'm far from calling BI a bust, but patience with development is stressed.

Honeymoon is over, Luke can bench him if hes playing real bad.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
Where's the wow-effect?

There is a big difference between "where's the wow-effect?" and "couldn't be worse"... is there not?
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject:

And there's a big difference between "couldn't be worse" and "could Bonga be worse than BI"
Or do you think that Bonga is complete trash?
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
And there's a big difference between "couldn't be worse" and "could Bonga be worse than BI"

I like Bonga's potential but he's a second round project. He doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of outperforming Brandon Ingram this season. I think he's made huge strides since the SPL, but G-League competition isn't the NBA.

For some perspective... Last year's G-Leaguers:

Zubac: 21.7 points (61% fg), 9.1 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 0.4 steals, 2.2 blocks in 29.9 minutes
Thomas Bryant: 19.7 points (59.7% fg, 36.4% 3p), 7.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 0.6 steals, 1.5 blocks in 30.7 minutes
Alex Caruso: 19 points (49.9% fg, 38.7% 3p), 7.7 assists, 3.8 rebounds, 2 steals, 0.4 blocks in 30.7 minutes

Those three players probably won't have much of an NBA career.

Bonga has some things going for him. Maybe he sees some action this year. But I think it's unrealistic to think he makes any type of an impact this season.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
matigol wrote:

Where's the wow-effect?

He's also being forced to play out of his natural position.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

matigol wrote:

Yes.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
matigol wrote:

I like Bonga's potential but he's a second round project. He doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of outperforming Brandon Ingram this season. I think he's made huge strides since the SPL, but G-League competition isn't the NBA.

For some perspective... Last year's G-Leaguers:

Zubac: 21.7 points (61% fg), 9.1 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 0.4 steals, 2.2 blocks in 29.9 minutes
Thomas Bryant: 19.7 points (59.7% fg, 36.4% 3p), 7.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 0.6 steals, 1.5 blocks in 30.7 minutes
Alex Caruso: 19 points (49.9% fg, 38.7% 3p), 7.7 assists, 3.8 rebounds, 2 steals, 0.4 blocks in 30.7 minutes

Those three players probably won't have much of an NBA career.

Bonga has some things going for him. Maybe he sees some action this year. But I think it's unrealistic to think he makes any type of an impact this season.

Mills, Gobert, Whiteside, J. Simmons, Ferrell, Jamychal Green, Danny Green....
Fine players out of the g-league

I'm totally with you, G-league isworlds away from NBA-competition.
There were lots of players from overseas, that went late in the draft and excelled in the NBA
In Bongas case, he hasn't played on agreat german team and hasn't played much. So to a certrain degree it was a gamble, but the kid looks like a hard worker he's learning the game.
I would not bet, that BI will have that much of a better career
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
I'm totally with you, G-league isworlds away from NBA-competition.
There were lots of players from overseas, that went late in the draft and excelled in the NBA
In Bongas case, he hasn't played on agreat german team and hasn't played much. So to a certrain degree it was a gamble, but the kid looks like a hard worker he's learning the game.

I don't disagree with any of that. I'm certainly not trying to trash Bonga. I'm impressed with how far he's come in a short span of time, and he has some good features that you can't teach. He's probably already a year ahead of the curve expected of him.

My take though is that Ingram has been nowhere near as bad as you are painting him to be. And that there is no way that Bonga would be a suitable replacement for him this season, he needs more experience. Long term, we'll have to wait and see how they develop. Let's see where their careers progress. Ingram is also just barely scratching the surface of his potential, but he has more experience.

They can both thrive in L.A. as they are versatile and can play multiple positions. I think Bonga is more of a point, where Ingram is likely best suited as a scorer.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

My take though is that Ingram has been nowhere near as bad as you are painting him to be. And that there is no way that Bonga would be a suitable replacement for him this season,

just take a look at when I wrote my original post I was really frustrated with BI after the Orlando game. I hope he can reach his potential, but I can't hide losing patience after 2,5 years without a confident jumpshot and without gained muscles.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
matigol wrote:

Where's the wow-effect?

I've never seen goalposts move that fast, must be some kind of record
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject:

With both the Lakers starting points injured, I'd like to see them bring up Bonga. However, I'm puzzled why they are trying to develop Bonga as a forward in G-League.

I'd prefer not to see Caruso.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
With both the Lakers starting points injured, I'd like to see them bring up Bonga. However, I'm puzzled why they are trying to develop Bonga as a forward in G-League.

Realistically, how many of these slick 6'9" ball-handlers really do become point guards? Magic was unique. Lebron would be pretty close to Magic as a pure PG but he plays differently. Ben Simmons may be the next in line. Ben Simmons is much more of a real PG in how he plays than Bonga is.

Bonga is better suited to being developed as a forward and occasional point forward because that's what he's going to end up as in the NBA (if all goes well). He won't succeed as a full-time PG. It really would be better to call up Caruso.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject:

20 pts, 8-12 FG, 9 reb.

I’m on the Bonga train. Chew chew!

When is he getting called up?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

Realistically, how many of these slick 6'9" ball-handlers really do become point guards? Magic was unique. Lebron would be pretty close to Magic as a pure PG but he plays differently. Ben Simmons may be the next in line. Ben Simmons is much more of a real PG in how he plays than Bonga is.

Bonga is better suited to being developed as a forward and occasional point forward because that's what he's going to end up as in the NBA (if all goes well). He won't succeed as a full-time PG. It really would be better to call up Caruso.

He has played PG for the German Jr National team for multiple years. He has played the PG position for South Bay these last 2 games. With his body type he should not outgrow (bulk wise) the position. Hoping they will give him the opportunity to continue developing at PG.

Could you explain how Simmons is more of a PG than Bonga?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
Staccatos wrote:

I think he has legit PG vision, passing touch, and decisionmaking for a teenage initiator. If a guy can run an efficient PnR, making the right reads consistently, then whether he's considered a PG or not, I want the ball in that guy's hands more often than not.

Now that doesn't mean Isaac can be a high volume guy. He might not be an NBA player at all let alone a starting initiator at this level. But I think his passing vision is one of his best skills and it's a little underutilized in the G-League right now where he's playing off the ball so much.

You know the guy he kind of reminds me of? Lamar Odom. So maybe not the guy setting up your offense every time down the court, but a guy you can call on to set up your offense when needed.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Regardless of competition he is showing some nice skills.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 45 of 53
Jump to: