OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1474, 1475, 1476 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject:

NBA needs to do something about dirty players like Aldridge. Old trashbag.

https://twitter.com/pickuphoop/status/1070527374075314176?s=19

https://twitter.com/pickuphoop/status/1070528209987518464?s=19
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:

Just like his Spurs breathren, Bruce Bowen.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:

I was just taking GT's word for it when he said Aldridge took an unnecessary step, never thought of him as a dirty player. This makes it pretty clear that he is. What an a$$hole..
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
You guys can cry about this entire season, they'd trade Ingram before they'd bench him.

Hopefully that doesn't ruin your guys Laker experience too much but he's coming back to his starting role.

Which is why it's best to just let them have their solace here in LG world. Our solace comes from knowing the coaching staff and front office doesn't agree with a lot of these takes, and at the end of the day that's all that matters.
Yellow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
We need his defense on elite wings.

Ingram's utility on elite wings is situation IMO. His skillset is nice against isolation scorers, but he's poor when encountering picks or a much quicker player. I'd rather have Lonzo or Hart defending a CJ McCollum or Harden, for instance, but Ingram for a Durant, DeRozan, Middleton. Just off the top of my head.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

I wonder if they were coached to do that.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
epak wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

Whoa
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject:

Yellow wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Ingram's utility on elite wings is situation IMO. His skillset is nice against isolation scorers, but he's poor when encountering picks or a much quicker player. I'd rather have Lonzo or Hart defending a CJ McCollum or Harden, for instance, but Ingram for a Durant, DeRozan, Middleton. Just off the top of my head.

What you’d rather have doesn’t matter.

Hart hasn’t been good defending the likes of Harden or CJ McCollum, he’s much better defending post players and power forwards. Lonzo and Ingram share the backcourt, so Lonzo can easily take any player Ingram is not comfortable with.

Seems like the coaching staff would rather put Lonzo against Lillard, McCollum hasn’t gone off on us at any point this season with BI guarding him, so all that matters is what the coaching staff would rather have.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject:

Yellow wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

What's funny is when basketball began it had the archetypes of two guards, two forwards, and a center.

And recently people have been going on about this idea of positionless basketball... but when it comes down to it you have super quick tiny players like Barea, Augustin, IT... then medium size players like CJ and Harden... then long players like Durant, DeRozan, and Ingram... then super long players like Embiid, Porzingis, Ayton.

And guess what... turns out tall people have trouble guarding tiny people and vice versa... who'd have thought this ground breaking idea that has existed since the birth of the NBA?

Now, I get that it's ideal to have Kawhi types who can guard as many different positions as possible... but even the best defenders will have their limits on who they can cover.

I think it's good to draft for length... especially wingspan in this game... but it's also important to remember there are limits to this idea, and you still need to have a Rondo to deal with small guards... a Lonzo to deal with medium size guards... an Ingram to deal with long wings... and a Chandler to deal with super long bigs.

When we haven't had a Rondo size defender we struggled against a player like Augustin... when we didn't have Chandler we struggled against Aldridge... when we didn't have Ingram... we had trouble against DeRozan.

For all the fancy new experimenting with defense it turns out there still are benefits to simply using the old system and we should keep this in mind when deciding which players to keep long term.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Yellow wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

What's funny is when basketball began it had the archetypes of two guards, two forwards, and a center.

And recently people have been going on about this idea of positionless basketball... but when it comes down to it you have super quick tiny players like Barea, Augustin, IT... then medium size players like CJ and Harden... then long players like Durant, DeRozan, and Ingram... then super long players like Embiid, Porzingis, Ayton.

And guess what... turns out tall people have trouble guarding tiny people and vice versa... who'd have thought this ground breaking idea that has existed since the birth of the NBA?

Now, I get that it's ideal to have Kawhi types who can guard as many different positions as possible... but even the best defenders will have their limits on who they can cover.

I think it's good to draft for length... especially wingspan in this game... but it's also important to remember there are limits to this idea, and you still need to have a Rondo to deal with small guards... a Lonzo to deal with medium size guards... an Ingram to deal with long wings... and a Chandler to deal with super long bigs.

When we haven't had a Rondo size defender we struggled against a player like Augustin... when we didn't have Chandler we struggled against Aldridge... when we didn't have Ingram... we had trouble against DeRozan.

For all the fancy new experimenting with defense it turns out there still are benefits to simply using the old system and we should keep this in mind when deciding which players to keep long term.

I know we have disagreed on a lot, but totally agree with your post. People have taken the "positionless" basketball concept way too far.

It only works when you have positionless players. Players who can play big or play small.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
epak wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

Oh you think? Of course it’s been coached from the top. Everyone always say Spurs are a classy organization, but they’re only classy when they’re winning.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

Get well soon BI. The team needs his defense for sure.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:
You guys can cry about this entire season, they'd trade Ingram before they'd bench him.

Hopefully that doesn't ruin your guys Laker experience too much but he's coming back to his starting role.

Which is why it's best to just let them have their solace here in LG world. Our solace comes from knowing the coaching staff and front office doesn't agree with a lot of these takes, and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

I take solace in knowing that nobody on LG knows what the coaching staff or front office think.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Yellow wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

I know we have disagreed on a lot, but totally agree with your post. People have taken the "positionless" basketball concept way too far.

It only works when you have positionless players. Players who can play big or play small.

The whole concept of 'positionless' basketball revolves around maybe 5 players. KD, AD, LeBron, Giannis and Draymond. Other than that it's a farce.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
PauPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

Hope Hart or KcP, whoever starts in Ingram's stead, plays some fine basketball while BI is out.

I think its gonna motivate Brandon to come back swinging.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Yellow wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

The whole concept of 'positionless' basketball revolves around maybe 5 players. KD, AD, LeBron, Giannis and Draymond. Other than that it's a farce.

I thought positionless bball was more about not conforming to the traditonal positional roles of the past. Which factors in height because the positions were based on height. But now smalls can take on a bigs role and a big can take on a smalls role.

So I disagree that's it's a farce.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

I thought positionless bball was more about not conforming to the traditonal positional roles of the past. Which factors in height because the positions were based on height. But now smalls can take on a bigs role and a big can take on a smalls role.

You mean like Kuz playing center?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
epak wrote:

More like Lonzo being the screener and LeBron the ball handler.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

He was going to have MRI last night? What happened?

I don't trust the Lakers medical staff at all. Not vitti and not nunez
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
epak wrote:

Oh yeah, that was a disaster the man can barely guard his own position. Thank god for Tyson Chandler.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject:

Honestly, I've never understood the concept from an offensive perspective. At least in how it's been applied here, it seems to allow every low IQ player with above average handles to occasionally ignore the point guard and free lance a possession. I like Kuzma, for instance, but he should never advanced the ball if Lonzo or Lebron are standing near him after a rebound.

Defensively, it just means switch everything.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:

The concept isn't a farce, but, the extent to which people would just cobble together whatever lineup and justify it with "positionless" is the farce.

Also, there are players that can do it but to varying degrees. A guy like Draymond can pretty much play 1-5, but a guy like Hart, he can guard post up bigs but he's not very good on the perimeter.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
epak wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

Oh you think? Of course it’s been coached from the top. Everyone always say Spurs are a classy organization, but they’re only classy when they’re winning.

Not sure if it’s coached. Can’t see NBA players actively trying to end the career of another one in this day and age. But it does happen though. And it has no place in basketball. I’m sure the Spurs loved it when it happened to Kawhi vs the Warriors.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject:

The concept of positionless basketball is less about there not being positions and more about the guys playing them being interchangeable. It’s about guys having the physical ability and skill sets to execute the requirements of multiple positions so in any situation they could match up at any of the roles, on either end. Being able to switch is one of the more readily visible parts of it.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Honestly, I've never understood the concept from an offensive perspective. At least in how it's been applied here, it seems to allow every low IQ player with above average handles to occasionally ignore the point guard and free lance a possession. I like Kuzma, for instance, but he should never advanced the ball if Lonzo or Lebron are standing near him after a rebound.

Defensively, it just means switch everything.

Yeah, I wonder how many less than optimal possessions occur each game because a less qualified player is playing point just to keep players happy or switch things up. I can see doing this in a blowout game where the outcome is decided to give players reps and practice... but from a pure analytics perspective... you should never have a less efficient player running the half court offense.

As far as defense goes... of course it's optimal if a player can switch off onto a different size player or position... but there should be specialists who can shut down players of every size and play style.

Like the other guy said... you have only a handful of Kawhi's and Paul George's and as good as they are... they can't cover Embiid or maybe even some tiny guards who can change direction like Barry Sanders.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1474, 1475, 1476 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 1475 of 1885
Jump to: