Ariza Would be a Chandler-Like Upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I think he is a slighty better then Chandler but both are Impact players which is amazing. both will play a vital role in the playoff run.

As elderly players, he and Chandler can help in the playoffs, but the glitter is fools gold as the core group needs to peak in two years. This year the Lakers will be a second round exit, I'm thinking. The Lakers will need to replace backup point guard, and get a younger Chandler (Mo?). They need Lance gone (I do not like his game.) They need to develop SVI and Wagner and move BI to the bench (to lead it there and finish games based upon matchups.)
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

JM wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I think he is a slighty better then Chandler but both are Impact players which is amazing. both will play a vital role in the playoff run.

As elderly players, he and Chandler can help in the playoffs, but the glitter is fools gold as the core group needs to peak in two years. This year the Lakers will be a second round exit, I'm thinking. The Lakers will need to replace backup point guard, and get a younger Chandler (Mo?). They need Lance gone (I do not like his game.) They need to develop SVI and Wagner and move BI to the bench (to lead it there and finish games based upon matchups.)

I am hearing that Lakers will also get Shake Milton from sixers. Anybody know the kid? They saying he is a potential 3&D guy. 6' 6" with 7 ft wingspan.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

JM wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I think they can get to WCF not unless they play the Warriors in the 2nd round. I don't see Nuggets, OKC, or Clippers beating the Lakers in a playoffs series.

Last edited by leking006 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
emplay wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Regarding the 120% limit for KCP, does the base of that include the trade kicker i.e. $13.2M x 1.2 = $15.8 million base salary in a free agent deal?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking - if his salary is kicked from 12 to 13.2 mil what would his cap hold be?

I understood from your article that a recipient team could pay KCP via non-bird rights (120% prior year salary, if I'm remembering correctly). I was wondering what his base salary would be for that 20% increase next year, more specifically if that included the trade bonus.

His new salary is post-trade bonus
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
diando wrote:
Thee trying to find someone to match up with KD, so LeBron doesn't have to guard him in the playoffs.

I don't see how that works, either. That means Ariza plays the 3, Bron plays the 4, and Kuzma goes to the second unit. We'd be better off just letting Ingram play out of position at the 2 just for that series for that matchup. I just don't see this as anything other than a lateral move.

If you look at Ingram's skill-set and strengths, you can make a great case for him as a 2. Is there anything that KCP does that Ingram doesn't do better at the 2? His length greatly improves our switch ability, it gives him a size/height/length advantage over straight SG vs SG matchups on both offense & defense-and his lack of strength and mass become less of an issue. This helps Ingram without decreasing opportunity for Hart.

Ariza CAN play a small-ball 4 very effectively-he did it plenty for the Rockets last season. I don't discount at all his playoff experience and vet leadership being a settling, positive influence on the young core as well as improving our playoff odds. The way things are going now we'll get a first round series against another flawed team -4 vs 5 or maybe 3 vs 6, so we won't draw the Warriors until round 2-maybe even WCF. This helps LeBron save face by advancing, tests the young talent in the playoff crucible (look at what last year's playoffs did for Boston's young talents' reps) and makes us more attractive to a marquee free agent and if the young core plays well, improves their value for a trade for star #3 later in the summer after the free-agent frenzy dies down. Aria helps with ALL of that more than KCP. I'd put in a late 2nd rounder for that. Or Zubac, Bonga or maybe even Svi.

Stephenson & Beasley become a emergency only players and our main rotation is something like this:

5 -McGee/Chandler (Mo, Zubac, Lebron)
4-Kuzma/Lebron/Ariza
3-Lebron/Ariza/Ingram (Hart, Kuzma)
2-Ingram/Hart (Svi)
1-Ball/Rondo (Ingram)

between 2-4 there are 144 minutes-we can average 30 each for LeBron,Ingram, Kuzma & Hart and still have 24 left over for Ariza,Svi, whoever and go into the playoffs with a big, switchable athletic team that can still be hyper-dangerous in a small-ball situation both defensively & offensively. It kind of actually makes Magic's vision for the team work, which wasn't the case as originally constructed. Love this move!
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Gepetto wrote:
Is there anything that KCP does that Ingram doesn't do better at the 2?

Shoot and make 3's in volume. Make free throws. Dunno, those seem like important things to me.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
His new salary is post-trade bonus

Cool. Thanks!
myunibrodavis
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject:

The problem with KCP is he’s defense, while good in the perimeter, isn’t switchable because he’s really week when backed down.

Ariza might be worse in general but he’s better against the warriors because he’s more switchable, which is a defense that generally works well against them. That’s why he averaged more minutes than harden in the WCF last year. Not saying he was more valuable but he was more valuable than he would be against the other 28 teams
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Gepetto wrote:
Is there anything that KCP does that Ingram doesn't do better at the 2?

Shoot and make 3's in volume. Make free throws. Dunno, those seem like important things to me.

Only one of those things is true looking at their last full seasons. I think Ingram should be able to do better with his free-throws. And clearly, a change in role is needed to maximize his value, whether its for the Lakers or whoever he gets traded to next summer.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

Ariza is an upgrade over KCP?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Phoenix asking for KCP, Ariza swap?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

If he gets all of Lance and SVIs minutes it would be very helpful. Lance has been awful after a decent start, SVI is coming around but has not been very good. If that happens, we are cookin with gasoline!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: