Unpopular / Un-PC opinions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
DC council votes to decriminalize fare-jumping because....racism?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2018/11/14/dc-council-votes-decriminalize-metro-fare-evasion/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3f5dc2c99af4

The whole "Bus Fare" regime has always puzzled me. It seems that about every 3 years or so, we get hit with a new levy, in one form or another, to fund rapid transit expansion. Here in Seattle, additional funds for Rapid Transit alone has seen a tripling of our car tab registration fees over the past few years. Why are they asking for a fare in the first place? Isn't that basically a double tax? When they issue a levy to fix or upgrade the parks, they don't then turn around and start charging the public to use them.

And then as a more basic matter, if somebody can't even afford bus fare, why on earth does anyone feel the need to look at their plight and try to make matters worse? Every since a bus driver got into it with a crazy passenger here, who pulled a gun and shot him, sending a bus full of passengers careening off a bridge and smashing into an apartment building below, the rapid transit policy has been for Bus Drivers to not hassle passengers who couldn't pay on the standard city buses. The light rail and rapid transit routes have their own fare enforcement personnel, but it's pretty comical since most people know that they have a policy against detention for non fare payment so they just simply walk away from them.

Bottom line, failing to pay a fare on a public service system should have never been a criminal matter in the first place. It's clearly a civil infraction Nobody should ever be under threat of having their freedom taken away because of bus fare. The only time I get to use public transit is when going to a ball game or the airport and I always carry extra cash because I know I'm going to encounter a number of poor people who can't afford to pay a fare and can't stand the stupidity of trying to saddle someone who can't afford a $2 fare with a ticket for $60. That's just craziness...

I agree with your general premise, but taxes and fares for transit aren’t double tax any more than subsidized housing is double rent.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
someone i know looped me into a group text and sent a screenshot with the following opinions:

Quote:
There's only 2 Genders.
The world is not flat.
Vaccines can't cause autism.
Islam is not a religion of peace.
Black people can be racist.
The gender pay gap is false.
The Racial pay gap is false.
The Russians didn't hack the election.
Islam is not a race.
Sharia law would bring more oppression.
Men aren't the only ones that r ( a t ) pe.
Slavery wasn't invented by white people.
Pepe the frog isn't a hate symbol, just a meme.
White privilege isn't real.
Wealth privilege is real.
Racial preference is not racist.
A gender studies degree won't even get you in a McDonald's.
Protesting a democratic election will get tiring after a while.
Misandry and Misogyny are the same thing.
Reverse racism isn't real, that's because it's just racism.

i imagine this is the type of bull that gets floated around on twitter to get reactions out of people. not subtle smh.

So what's not true on that list?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject:

American football is boring.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

I think entry level luxury cars are lame (BMW 3 series, Mercedes C class, etc) and screams "I want to looker balla in a luxury car but this is all I can afford". If a Camry and one of those are the same price Im still picking a Camry.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I think entry level luxury cars are lame (BMW 3 series, Mercedes C class, etc) and screams "I want to looker balla in a luxury car but this is all I can afford". If a Camry and one of those are the same price Im still picking a Camry.

Entry level luxury car shopper here. Looking to get rid of my '04 Civic for an Infiniti Q50 3.7L V6. Granted, I agree with part of your logic in terms of people who get an Audi A3/A4, BMW 320, or Mercedes CLA models. Those models have such neutered engines and suspensions that it makes you wonder why a car enthusiast would buy those models over the slightly pricier ones.

Personally, I will never buy a camry or civic again for myself (maybe for my kids). While the cars are safe, last long, great resale value, great gas mileage, etc., the driving experience is just not the same, not even close. If you're driving 10 under the speed limit daily on local roads to the grocery store and back, the camry or civic will do just fine. If you're on the highway regularly and you like to drive fast (especially in areas with higher speed limits), those civics and camrys are a joke on the road when trying to merge or change lanes. They are woefully underpowered to the point of being legitimately hazardous (e.g., merging at 15 under the speed limit - i.e., "if my car is ahead of yours in a lane (even by an inch), my duty as a driver is complete (regardless of whether you need to jam your brakes to accommodate me)!").
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

In fairness, luxurybstatus symbols are lame, so getting one at a discount might be a good call.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

I’ve had several Camrys (as well as Accords) they’re legendary for their reliability. Mercedes C300s aren’t that bad nowadays, they are better than the CLAs and probably the new A-Series as far as entry models go. C300s start around $42,395 while Camrys start around $25,550.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
someone i know looped me into a group text and sent a screenshot with the following opinions:

Quote:
There's only 2 Genders.
The world is not flat.
Vaccines can't cause autism.
Islam is not a religion of peace.
Black people can be racist.
The gender pay gap is false.
The Racial pay gap is false.
The Russians didn't hack the election.
Islam is not a race.
Sharia law would bring more oppression.
Men aren't the only ones that r -at- pe.
Slavery wasn't invented by white people.
Pepe the frog isn't a hate symbol, just a meme.
White privilege isn't real.
Wealth privilege is real.
Racial preference is not racist.
A gender studies degree won't even get you in a McDonald's.
Protesting a democratic election will get tiring after a while.
Misandry and Misogyny are the same thing.
Reverse racism isn't real, that's because it's just racism.

i imagine this is the type of bull that gets floated around on twitter to get reactions out of people. not subtle smh.

So what's not true on that list?

White privilege is 100% real. That list was probably written by a privileged white person. I see this a lot. White people are insulated to many of the problems in the world and thus believe that certain things don't exist because it's not something they consciously perceive in their daily lives.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Entry level luxury car shopper here. Looking to get rid of my '04 Civic for an Infiniti Q50 3.7L V6. Granted, I agree with part of your logic in terms of people who get an Audi A3/A4, BMW 320, or Mercedes CLA models. Those models have such neutered engines and suspensions that it makes you wonder why a car enthusiast would buy those models over the slightly pricier ones.

Personally, I will never buy a camry or civic again for myself (maybe for my kids). While the cars are safe, last long, great resale value, great gas mileage, etc., the driving experience is just not the same, not even close. If you're driving 10 under the speed limit daily on local roads to the grocery store and back, the camry or civic will do just fine. If you're on the highway regularly and you like to drive fast (especially in areas with higher speed limits), those civics and camrys are a joke on the road when trying to merge or change lanes. They are woefully underpowered to the point of being legitimately hazardous (e.g., merging at 15 under the speed limit - i.e., "if my car is ahead of yours in a lane (even by an inch), my duty as a driver is complete (regardless of whether you need to jam your brakes to accommodate me)!").

The majority of people buying a Camry or Civic will never take a road trip out of town. The city driving and clogged roads will pretty much ensure they never get past the posted speed limits or anything that will test the cars suspension and handling.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

I drive aggressively in v4 camry as my daily no problems. Yes theres the occasional time when I may I wish I still had my cts-v to embarrass some clown on the road or fly through a curved road as if my car is on rails but overall I do just fine driving fast to my destination... definitely not hazardously under powered.
I also just love rolling up to my job in my dinged up camry as a badge of frugality.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

Whats funny is those entry level luxury cars are underpowered compared to the same cars in a Toyota or Honda badge. You get the cool Mercedes or BMW badge, but you are probably puttin along in a tiny 4 cylinder.....
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Whats funny is those entry level luxury cars are underpowered compared to the same cars in a Toyota or Honda badge. You get the cool Mercedes or BMW badge, but you are probably puttin along in a tiny 4 cylinder.....

Which would you rather have:

A 2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6 (300hp) for $36,100

Camry

or

A 2012 AMG - S63 V8(550hp) for $33,990 (Originally $160k)

AMG

Personally, I preference the best vehicle, regardless of age, since I'd never purchase a new car off the lot because of the extreme dent to the pocketbook with that massive depreciation hit. When I was looking for a new daily driver last year, there was nothing that came even remotely close in value to the 2012 SL63 I picked up for $44k (Originally $200k), that's only depreciated to $43k today. There isn't a new car on the market I could have said the same thing about, and certainly not another car on the market that could provide me the daily smiles the 580hp connected to my right foot now provides me.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

^ Never thought about getting a daily driver like that, how many miles have you put on it? Any issues? I know that Camry’s not heading into the repair shop anytime soon, but then again it’s not the same driving experience by any stretch.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm thankful that "driving experience" isn't one of my bugaboos. I'm content with driving driving something unsexy (in eco mode) that will never break down over the course of 300,000 miles.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject:

I had a 2003 BMW 535 that I drove for several years until the maintenance expired and the MPG average combined to make it impractical to drive.

I now have 2018 Camry XSE V6 that I enjoy every bit as much as I did the Beemer. And I get to do so at a lower price point. And with the latest technology.

At this point, if I'm going to get a previously owned vehicle, it's going to be because I'm collecting it, not using it as a daily driver.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I'm thankful that "driving experience" isn't one of my bugaboos. I'm content with driving driving something unsexy (in eco mode) that will never break down over the course of 300,000 miles.

Definitely a plus from the practicality stand point.

I drive my car in "ECO" 90% of the time, and am entirely content to do so given my urban commute. But since I love driving when actual driving can be done, I enjoy having something with performance and handling. I drove a Prius for a few years, which is totally unsexy, but was still a fun car to drive given the torquey nature of the hybrid engine.

Whatever you drive, I'm a firm believer that whatever you drive, you should enjoy it. We spend too much time in our cars not to.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
^ Never thought about getting a daily driver like that, how many miles have you put on it? Any issues? I know that Camry’s not heading into the repair shop anytime soon, but then again it’s not the same driving experience by any stretch.

I picked up the SL63 with 24,000 miles on it and immediately invested about $3500 in preventative maintenance so I could have the peace of mind of knowing everything was tip top and I was starting with a clean slate. These particular cars have two very expensive systems, brakes and suspension, that if not maintained properly will become a nightmare. So I immediately completed maintenance on both systems, bringing them back to better than the condition they left the factory. Their proper service intervals are 40,000 miles, but the MFG / Dealers failed to instruct buyers that these were maintenance systems, and the predictable happened once the cars started to come out of warranty. So the model line experienced rapid depreciation as owner horror stories started to surface, and resulted in these wonderful cars ending up in the affordability range of those of us in the mainstream who mostly perform our own maintenance. The result, is we get to drive a veritable supercar for the price of a new Camry. Now that the word is out, many enthusiast are swallowing them up, and the market prices have stabilised. And in August, Mercedes did the unimaginable and extended the warranty on the braking system to 25 years unlimited mileage and reimbursed owners who'd replaced system components in full for those repairs, I filed a claim in October, and received a check in the mail for $1600 last week for the preventative maintenance I'd performed. So never going to have a worry about that for the life of the car.

I've put on 17,000 worry free miles over the last year, with my only costs after that initial preventative maintenance being 2 oil changes @ $50 each in consumables, and a set of rear tires (which this model is notorious for eating through pretty quickly). Now she's very thirsty as an in city driver, but average enough on the fwy (25npg on a light foot). The drivetrain is rock solid in this model, and they rarely come out of service due to a drivetrain issue, excepting a few vin ranges in a couple specific model years) If I had a long commute, then I wouldn't want to put it through the abuse, and absorb the additional fuel costs, but for anyone that's lucky enough to not have a long commute, and is capable of performing their own regular maintenance, I'd strongly make the suggestion to have a look at either the S63 sedan I posted above, or, if they don't require the extra space, my SL63 model. There simply isn't more fun to be had out there in the sub $50k range. Simple tune and downpipes make these easy 200mph baskets of fun.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

LOL, that's what everyone who can't afford one or has never owned one thinks...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

My off the showroom floor BMW 535 was bought outright. So there are people who can afford and who have owned who disagree with you.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Brokeback Mountain is an overrated, boring film.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Which would you rather have:

A 2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6 (300hp) for $36,100

Camry

or

A 2012 AMG - S63 V8(550hp) for $33,990 (Originally $160k)

AMG

Personally, I preference the best vehicle, regardless of age, since I'd never purchase a new car off the lot because of the extreme dent to the pocketbook with that massive depreciation hit. When I was looking for a new daily driver last year, there was nothing that came even remotely close in value to the 2012 SL63 I picked up for $44k (Originally $200k), that's only depreciated to $43k today. There isn't a new car on the market I could have said the same thing about, and certainly not another car on the market that could provide me the daily smiles the 580hp connected to my right foot now provides me.

Ridiculous comparison. You are comparing a 6 year old car with a brand new car. Not to mention the maintenance and fuel costs of a luxury automobile like a BMW or Mercedes would far outweigh the cost of something like a Toyota or Honda. BTW, the argument wasn't about comparing an S-class Mercedes to a Camry, it was about comparing those entry level luxury cars like a front wheel drive C-class with a 4 or 6 cylinder that makes less power than a V6 Accord or Camry.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Brokeback Mountain is an overrated, boring film.

You just don't like hipster cowboys...
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

My off the showroom floor BMW 535 was bought outright. So there are people who can afford and who have owned who disagree with you.

Oh really? I won't lose much sleep over you disagreeing with me, since you obviously misread the original statement which says "ENTRY LEVEL LUXURY CARS"! Now, I'm no car expert, we might have to get Mike to give a ruling on this, but last time I checked, a BMW 535 is NOT an "ENTRY LEVEL LUXURY CAR"...

I've driven BMW's for the last 16 years and anyone who thinks a $12k car is made just as well as a $30k car does NOT know what they are talking about.

I'm not saying Toyota's or Honda's are junk, or made poorly, but there is a Build-Quality difference and there is a Component-Cost difference.

Now that being said, I sold my BMW in October and plan to buy a 2019 Honda Passport Touring model, early next year...!
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Singling out one person and using the phrase: "I don't want to offend you", IS offensive.

Example:

Three of your friends are standing together, one Arab, One German, & one Black. You walk up to them & single out the black guy and say, "I don't want to offend you". Prior to telling an off color Obama joke", that act is offensive. Instead of including the friend as no different than your other friends, you've instead done the opposite & made him feel very different. You've put that friend in the uncomfortable position of now having to wonder why you see him so differently than the rest of your friends? He notices that you didn't give the warning to your Arab friend before telling an off color Osama Bin Laden joke. This is a very American syndrome.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Oh really? I won't lose much sleep over you disagreeing with me, since you obviously misread the original statement which says "ENTRY LEVEL LUXURY CARS"! Now, I'm no car expert, we might have to get Mike to give a ruling on this, but last time I checked, a BMW 535 is NOT an "ENTRY LEVEL LUXURY CAR"...

I'm simply pointing out that the obvious flaw in your inflammatory comment

Quote:
I've driven BMW's for the last 16 years and anyone who thinks a $12k car is made just as well as a $30k car does NOT know what they are talking about.

No one said that.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15
Jump to: