Buddy Hield older than he's listed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Hield's story is that he knew incorrect information about his age was on the Internet when his mom called him about the wrong date on his Wikipedia profile. We don't know how long ago that happened, so he might have known that his birthdate was being listed wrong in some places on the Internet for years.

Hield said he's as confused as everyone else how the faulty information got there in the first place and spread, and he said he provided the documentation about his correct age whenever he was asked for it.

It's a weird story, but it's anyone's guess how it happened.

I have no idea if teams had the correct information about his age.

Yeah, that's his story. Then there's the Kings story.

1) So, Buddy Hield says - he had no idea that wikipedia had his birthdate wrong until his mom told him.
2) The Kings said it all started with Oklahoma sending in his birthdate wrong to the NBA draft --> The Kings tell me the discrepancy was caused by a typo when the @OU_Athletics submitted paperwork to the #NBA, an error that was repeated in Hield's player bio for the past 2+ seasons.

Here's my question - can both of these stories be true? The Kings are saying that the error occurred around the draft, when Oklahoma submitted his paperwork with the wrong info. So his true birthdate is Dec 17, 1992. They are saying that - Oklahoma submitted paperwork to the NBA listing his birthdate as Dec 17, 1993.

We can check this right? This means that, Buddy Hield had been at Oklahoma for 4 years with his birthdate correctly listed as Dec 17, 1992. So, everyone knows his age. So his senior year, everyone knows his age is 23.

But then by the NBA draft, he's now a 22 year old. And no one says anything. All these scouts that have been scouting him all this time, none of the scouts say anything when Oklahoma submits the wrong info into the NBA draft.

And somehow this is plausible? It is impossible to get 1 year younger on draft day, be a lottery pick, and have no one notice.

And I mentioned Zion Williamson. We know his birthdate is: July 7, 2000
We know LaMelo Ball's birthdate is: Aug 22, 2001

It would be impossible for these guys to enter the draft with a different birthdate and have no one notice. Impossible.

activeverb wrote:
However, I wouldn't expect his agent to remind them of his age if they did not ask him directly.

This would be a violation of non-disclosure duties/laws as an agent. No different than if you sold your house.

As for Hield, failing to disclose your true age makes the contract fraudulent and voidable.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

And here's some more info on this story:

The Kings said they knew of his age. They said they have his age listed correctly as being born in 1992.

On their media guide, he's listed as being born in 1993. On the Pelicans media guide, he was listed as being born in 1993.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/21/kings-buddy-hield-says-hes-year-older-than-hes-been-listed-by-nba/?utm_term=.afab3131a6fa

Hield says he believes his age was correct when he was at Oklahoma.

So is everyone getting their info from wikipedia?

All these stories really don't add up. It seems that Buddy Hield has given his passport and DL with his correct birthdate to: Oklahoma, New Orleans, and the Kings.

Yet, somehow, all 3 teams got his age wrong.

1) Oklahoma allegedly submitted paperwork to the NBA draft with his birthdate listed as 1993 (alleged by the Kings).

2) New Orleans, which has his correct birthdate as 1992, also lists him on their media guide as being born in 1993

3) The Kings, who also has his correct birthdate as 1992, listed his birthdate as 1993 on their media guide as well.

Quote:
Boys & Gurleys In America

Verified account

@CTowersCBS
Follow Follow @CTowersCBS
More
Hield was listed as being born in ‘93 on the King’s’ media guide coming into this season, too... did they know or not? I am fascinated by this.

https://twitter.com/CTowersCBS/status/1075971590226104321/photo/1

Quote:

@CTowersCBS
· Dec 20, 2018
Replying to @CTowersCBS
Anybody have a 2016-17 Pelicans Media Guide?

@CTowersCBS
· Dec 20, 2018
Replying to @MasonGinsberg
Yeah, I have no idea. Do you have a 2016 Pelicans media guide? Would love to see how he was listed there.

Mason Ginsberg

@MasonGinsberg
1993https://www.nba.com/.element/media/2.0/teamsites/pelicans/1617MediaGuide.pdf … pic.twitter.com/C5jx2kh1cO

8:26 PM - Dec 20, 2018

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

But then by the NBA draft, he's now a 22 year old. And no one says anything. All these scouts that have been scouting him all this time, none of the scouts say anything when Oklahoma submits the wrong info into the NBA draft.

And somehow this is plausible? It is impossible to get 1 year younger on draft day, be a lottery pick, and have no one notice.

If I told you a dead body was in a public pool for days unnoticed by other swimmers, lifeguards, and police passing by you might say that was implausible. But it happened. As Mary Poppins said, "Impossible things happen every day!"
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

If I told you a dead body was in a public pool for days unnoticed by other swimmers, lifeguards, and police passing by you might say that was implausible. But it happened. As Mary Poppins said, "Impossible things happen every day!"

But why offer so much benefit of the doubt to the extent where "impossible things happen every day"?

If you've dug your toes in the sand so firmly where you're even willing to believe that "impossible things happen everyday" then pretty much once you make up your mind, you stick with it no matter what other info is presented.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject:

^
You're misunderstanding me. My toes are not dug in. I readily admit I have no idea what happened.

If I had to guess, I'd say the most likely choices are: (1) Hield or his minions somehow planted the incorrect information to make him seem younger; or (2) It was just a weird situation where the wrong information got out there and no one noticed.

However, I acknowledge both those could be wrong, or, heck, it could be a combination of those things. Or it could be something else that neither of us has even considered. My guess is we'll never know.

LongBeachPoly wrote:

1) So, Buddy Hield says - he had no idea that wikipedia had his birthdate wrong until his mom told him.
2) The Kings said it all started with Oklahoma sending in his birthdate wrong to the NBA draft --> The Kings tell me the discrepancy was caused by a typo when the @OU_Athletics submitted paperwork to the #NBA, an error that was repeated in Hield's player bio for the past 2+ seasons.

Here's my question - can both of these stories be true?

Sure, it's possible that both stories could be true. Among the possibilities is that this was due to two or more weird events (OKC sending the wrong date, and Wikipedia having the wrong date) that had nothing to do with one another. Don't know if that is any more or less feasible than all the unlikely theories of how this happened.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject:

Nobody from the carribean ever lied about their age...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
^You're misunderstanding me. My toes are not dug in. I readily admit I have no idea what happened.

The discussion is never about if you know what happened or not. It's a given no one around here knows what happened. No reason to admit/acknowledge that fact.

The discussion is about the stories that are being told. Does it pass your smell test. That's all. It was never a discussion about if you know what happened or not.

activeverb wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Here's my question - can both of these stories be true?

Sure, it's possible that both stories could be true. Among the possibilities is that this was due to two or more weird events (OKC sending the wrong date, and Wikipedia having the wrong date) that had nothing to do with one another. Don't know if that is any more or less feasible than all the unlikely theories of how this happened.

Alright, let's say it's possible these 2 events happen independent of each other. Let's add a few more stories to it.

1) Hield presented his passport/DL to the Pelicans. So they knew his true age. They release a media guide - listing his age incorrectly.

2) Hield presented his passport/DL to the Kings. So they knew his true age. They release a media guide - listing his age incorrectly.

3) Hield presented his passport/DL to his college - Oklahoma. So they knew his true age. They released his info to the NBA draft - listing his age incorrectly

4) All media - including wikipedia, NBA.com, ESPN.com, NBADRAFT.net - all list his age incorrectly

On top of that, if it's just an input error, why is the input error ALWAYS the same?

Dec 17, 1993 was always the input error. If all these input errors were independent of each other, how come there wasn't different input errors?

Why not Dec 16, 1991. Or Dec 17, 1994

It seems that every source that Buddy Hield presents his age to - gets it wrong. And not only do they get it wrong, but every source gets it wrong exactly the same way.

If you think about it, the only source that gets it right - is the DMV. Supposedly. But any source related to basketball will get Buddy Hields birthdate incorrectly. And they will all make him younger. No source will incorrectly make him older. They always make him younger, exactly one year younger.

Buddy Hield's played for 4 teams since he came to the US:

1) High School
2) College - Oklahoma
3) NBA - Pelicans
4) NBA - Kings

We haven't heard from his high school. We've heard from his last 3 stops. Seems like they all get it wrong.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, it seems like this is how the story came out. Buddy Hield didn't just decide to come clean randomly. The Kings TV announcers wanted to wish him a happy birthday so they asked him how old he was today. He said he was 26.

So the announcer got confused and tweeted this:

Quote:
@GrantNapearshow
Follow Follow @GrantNapearshow
More
For whatever reason there seems to be some confusion about Buddy's age. An hour ago I asked him..Buddy how old are you? His response. 26.

People started doing the math and his age didn't match with his birthdate. So, he came up with the mom-wikipedia story and blamed everything on the media.

Think about this. The only ones in the Kings organization that knew Hield's true age were him, Vlade and Peja. The Kings media relations department didn't know his true age (they listed his age wrong on the media guide). The Kings TV announcers didn't know his true age.

Only Buddy, Vlade and Peja knew. That's it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I also admit I don't know what happened. But there are a ton of holes in this story. It doesn't pass my smell test.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

^

So to sum this up...

You say it was Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick.

I can buy that.

I go with Colonel Mustard in the bedroom, probably with the candlestick, but it may have been the gun.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
^

So to sum this up...

I can buy that.

I go with Colonel Mustard in the bedroom, probably with the candlestick, but it may have been the gun.

Thank you for the discussion.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
activeverb wrote:
^

So to sum this up...

I can buy that.

Thank you for the discussion.

It was fun. We'll see if some time in the future, probably a decade or more from now, if anyone spills the goods.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: