These last 2 games prove 1 thing...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: These last 2 games prove 1 thing...

ringfinger wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
gladofwar_xiii wrote:
MJST wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
The current squad without Bron/McGee/Rondo are good enough to build leads but aren’t talented enough to keep it. if the league doesn’t give the MVP to LeBron this year it will be a travesty.. he is the engine, at least Harden has another co-star next to him.. while LeBron has none.

Take Harden, Gordon and Capela off the Rockets and see how many games they win as well.

Are you saying Capela=Javale ?

Capela per 36

18.1 PPG 13.3 RPG 2.1 Blocks per game

JaVale per 36

18.1 PPG 10.2 RPG 3.9 Blocks per game

Losing our rim protector who blocks at double the rate that Capela does is a pretty big loss to our defense I'd say.

We lost by one point to the Kings... not 20.

Capela actually plays around 36 mpg, Javale doesn’t. Bad comparison.

I mean, Zhou Qi was averaging 72 ppg per 36 for Houston so what does that mean?

Compare a regular rotation player who clearly contributes with the eye test to a useless 1 minute outlier to try to undermine a useful statistic when properly employed... smh

The point of that is to highlight the absurdity of comparing two players on a per 36 min statistic in terms of impact, when one player plays about 50% more minutes than the other.

If two players put up the same numbers on a per 36 min basis, and one player actually plays around 36 mins, while the other plays 24, then it is an error to conclude they are in anyway comparable impact wise.

We no doubt feel the absence of Javale, but we shouldn't need to resort to faulty premises in order to do that.

If you were seriously trying to refute me, you would have used another 24 minute player and point out the flaws in the analogy.

However, you went the low road by using the absurd one.

I agree it's not an exact science but let me put it this way... we were 24 minutes of JaVale's defensive impact from winning the first game against the Kings.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: These last 2 games prove 1 thing...

Sentient Meat wrote:
gladofwar_xiii wrote:
MJST wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
The current squad without Bron/McGee/Rondo are good enough to build leads but aren’t talented enough to keep it. if the league doesn’t give the MVP to LeBron this year it will be a travesty.. he is the engine, at least Harden has another co-star next to him.. while LeBron has none.

Take Harden, Gordon and Capela off the Rockets and see how many games they win as well.

Capela per 36

JaVale per 36

Losing our rim protector who blocks at double the rate that Capela does is a pretty big loss to our defense I'd say.

24.1 mpg Gs 17.1 mpg. McGee really doesn’t block twice as many shots as Capela. Per 36 was made to favor low minute players and that is why it is a garbage stat.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: These last 2 games prove 1 thing...

venturalakersfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
gladofwar_xiii wrote:
MJST wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Capela per 36

JaVale per 36

24.1 mpg Gs 17.1 mpg. McGee really doesn’t block twice as many shots as Capela. Per 36 was made to favor low minute players and that is why it is a garbage stat.

It's a garbage stat when applied to non rotation subs... it has its uses when comparing sixth man, rotation players and projecting their possible growth.

The more minutes... the more useful it is... obviously with an energy guy like JaVale... it's fair to say aside from the asthma... even a perfectly healthy athlete couldn't maintain that pace over 36 minutes... but imagining him getting 3 blocks in 36 minutes is perfectly reasonable.

It was useful in this case, because the other poster thought comparing to McGee was absurd... when clearly it isn't.

Capela is more valuable because of his health and stamina and his contract reflects the difference... but we lost by one point that JaVale probably would have stopped with even one block.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: These last 2 games prove 1 thing...

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Do you see what Giannis has been doing since opening night? And with much lesser talent?

You’re giving Lebron credit while also conveniently forgetting that since Rondo & McGee are also out, we’re left with basically our same roster from last season.

Typical of Lebron fans though. Give him ALL the credit and never any blame. This is why Kyrie is in Boston and PG13 is in OKC. This is also what KD was talking about.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: These last 2 games prove 1 thing...

Sentient Meat wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
gladofwar_xiii wrote:
MJST wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Capela per 36

JaVale per 36

Capela actually plays around 36 mpg, Javale doesn’t. Bad comparison.

I mean, Zhou Qi was averaging 72 ppg per 36 for Houston so what does that mean?

Compare a regular rotation player who clearly contributes with the eye test to a useless 1 minute outlier to try to undermine a useful statistic when properly employed... smh

The point of that is to highlight the absurdity of comparing two players on a per 36 min statistic in terms of impact, when one player plays about 50% more minutes than the other.

If two players put up the same numbers on a per 36 min basis, and one player actually plays around 36 mins, while the other plays 24, then it is an error to conclude they are in anyway comparable impact wise.

We no doubt feel the absence of Javale, but we shouldn't need to resort to faulty premises in order to do that.

If you were seriously trying to refute me, you would have used another 24 minute player and point out the flaws in the analogy.

However, you went the low road by using the absurd one.

I agree it's not an exact science but let me put it this way... we were 24 minutes of JaVale's defensive impact from winning the first game against the Kings.

And if you were trying to make a fair comparison, you would not have used per36 to compare Javale and Capela.

You will get no argument from me that we could have used Javale against the kings. Only that Javale = Capela using a per36 argument.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: