Do the Lakers Need a Trade to Survive Their Injuries, or Is Patience the Key?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Do the Lakers Need a Trade to Survive Their Injuries, or Is Patience the Key?

Hey All,

Latest @BleacherReport Do the Lakers Need a Trade to Survive Their Injuries, or Is Patience the Key?
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2812696-do-the-lakers-need-a-trade-to-survive-their-injuries-or-is-patience-the-key

Cheers,

EP
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Funny use of the "survive" concept. The team and franchise will survive the season, not matter what.

The Lakers had so little chance of making noise in the playoffs as configured that making a talent move now (one to sustain a futile in-season push) seems very short-sighted and ill-advised. Complete the journey this season without a desperate trade is what I advise.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Eric. Good read.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks emplay....
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Seems like there is a good chance we trade for Gibson this is like your 4th article mentioning Taj Gibson lol
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

I think last game might be good popping a few egos. Like, I got the feeling they were getting a bit cocky with such a good record, but without Lebron and Rondo they will get an idea of how much more developing they have to do before they can be considered a great core by themselves. Kings game was hard, and they're just an average team in the West.

Next up Clippers. Let's see if we can get a W. No trade for Gibson please *wrinkles nose*
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Funny use of the "survive" concept. The team and franchise will survive the season, not matter what.

... Complete the journey this season without a desperate trade is what I advise.

Just because one can do a trade, does not mean one should do a trade. Meanwhile, it is sensible to keep options open; to listen and learn around the league in good faith. There's no harm in gathering intel.

Entering LA, LBJ said it's "not about championships" for him, now. This team is actually worth developing so for me it's a gift to be able to (*ahem*) enjoy the process.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject:

I say, don't panic, no trades, and wait for LeBron, sure they may be at .500 before he gets back, but gotta stick to the plan...!
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

Question Emplay - Lets say towards the trade deadline, Orlando is clearly out of the playoff picture and are certain that their long term plan is to develop Bamba and not resign Vucevic, would you do this trade:

Send KCP (assuming he agrees to it), Stephenson, Beasley, Zubac and a 2019 1st round pick to Orlando for Vucevic and Terrence Ross? Push comes to shove a 2022 2nd round pick?

I know the Lakers want to preserve all future picks in the event of an AD deal, but do you make this deal if you are the Lakers for a better shot at going deeper in the playoffs? I've been personally debating this.

And lets say you achieve this if you're the Lakers, would it be a good idea to start Vucevic over McGee? We lose shotblocking but gain floor spacing and better decision making from the center position, which will open up driving lanes for BI in particular.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject:

^^ I am thinking push comes to shove, Vucevic can be included in a trade package for AD when the time comes, either as a S&T in the offseason or during the 2019-2020 regular season (post Dec-15).

New Orleans can get BI, Vucevic, Josh Hart and future picks for AD and Solomon Hill.

Bear in mind the Vooch is still only 28 and is averaging 18ppg, 12rpg, 4apg, 1bpg, 53% FG, 38% 3PFG and would probably be our best candidate to take technical free throws at 81% from the line.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

While Lakers are a playoff team this year, I don't think a trade this year would maximize the assets and cap space they have available. A trade for AD would make them contenders but the team can be made even better if you wait a year to use 2019 cap space for a free agent signing.

My opinion is not to trade for any of our assets this year for a slight improvement. Instead, we should try to gather assets by trading players like KCP while maintaining our 2019 cap space.

In 2019, we can sign a max free agent and still make a trade with our assets. This will get us closer to the Big 3 plan instead of trading this season for a Duo. Patience friends.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
While Lakers are a playoff team this year, I don't think a trade this year would maximize the assets and cap space they have available. A trade for AD would make them contenders but the team can be made even better if you wait a year to use 2019 cap space for a free agent signing.

My opinion is not to trade for any of our assets this year for a slight improvement. Instead, we should try to gather assets by trading players like KCP while maintaining our 2019 cap space.

In 2019, we can sign a max free agent and still make a trade with our assets. This will get us closer to the Big 3 plan instead of trading this season for a Duo. Patience friends.

Trading for Vucevic as suggested in my previous post does both: makes us better this year while preserving our cap space. Vooch is likely to be an allstar this year and has an expiring salary.

Getting him may cost us a first round pick but you could argue that he has more value than a 2019 first round pick given his age (28) and production. A combo of Ingram, Vooch and two future first round picks might be enough to land AD, especially if Rich Paul steers things in the right direction.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject:

Back in the late 50s and early 60s, there was a duo of female singers named Patience and Prudence, and I'd say their names are both the keys to how the Lakers should proceed.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:

Trading for Vucevic as suggested in my previous post does both: makes us better this year while preserving our cap space. Vooch is likely to be an allstar this year and has an expiring salary.

Getting him may cost us a first round pick but you could argue that he has more value than a 2019 first round pick given his age (28) and production. A combo of Ingram, Vooch and two future first round picks might be enough to land AD, especially if Rich Paul steers things in the right direction.
So you're giving up an asset (2019 1st Round Pick) for a 1 year rental? Vucevic would have to agree to a sign and trade in your scenario, which is no guarantee and we can lose him for nothing if we waive him to utilize the cap space or another team signs him to a large contract offer early in free agency. I prefer to keep assets that are entirely in our control than hope for things to get steered in the right direction.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject:

I don't expect the Lakers to give up anything that might be needed for Anthony Davis to get anyone else basically, unless it's a lateral move (KCP/Ariza) - I could be wrong but we'll see
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:

I agree, we ain’t winning anything this year so there’s no need to lose assets just to make it past the first round . After we sign our 2nd max next summer then it’s the time to go for the kill.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
I don't expect the Lakers to give up anything that might be needed for Anthony Davis to get anyone else basically, unless it's a lateral move (KCP/Ariza) - I could be wrong but we'll see

So you really think AD trade this season more than the max FA this summer?
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

Ariza seems like a good possibility with Wall now out for the season, and the Wizards needing to enter go full-on tank mode.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

i thought this was another poll thread, what a relief

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: