We are the first team in NBA history that needs to make a trade, strictly off of Free Throw shooting.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Is it unusual that Zo was an 80% FT shooter on over 200 attempts in high school and BI was a 77% FT shooter on 450? Do guys usually get that much worse from the line after high school?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Is it unusual that Zo was an 80% FT shooter on over 200 attempts in high school and BI was a 77% FT shooter on 450? Do guys usually get that much worse from the line after high school?

Mental midgets.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Kuz shot 63% in college. Last year 73% and this year he is at 78% so far. That's working on his craft.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Kuz shot 63% in college. Last year 73% and this year he is at 78% so far. That's working on his craft.

While Lonzo's been working his rap.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

I've never seen any actual stats on this topic, but it wouldn't surprise me if players tend to have higher free throw percentages in high school than in college and the pros. Fatigue and pressure is higher at those levels and those two things definitely can affect free throw percentage.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject:

It's mindboggling. I'm out of shape and play ball 3-4 times a month, and can easily sink 7 or 8 of every 10 FTs I take. They are called FREE throws for a reason lmao. Where is the shooting coach Magic promised last offseason?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject:

http://www.freethrowmaster.com

^^ hire this guy
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

I've never seen any actual stats on this topic, but it wouldn't surprise me if players tend to have higher free throw percentages in high school than in college and the pros. Fatigue and pressure is higher at those levels and those two things definitely can affect free throw percentage.

Yeah, I'm curious if their declines in FT% are typical or unusual, especially for players with All-Star aspirations.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

I don't put much stock in FT%. Frankly, as long as the Lakers make 1 of 2, I'm okay.

The Lakers were at the bottom of the league from 2000 to 2002. They won because of the high frequency of attempts.

Free throws are like the band aid to the Lakers problems with execution. Sure, they steal a few wins during the regular, but they don't solve the execution errors in the 4th quarter, especially when it comes to turnovers, isolation basketball, and lack of 3 to 5 player involvement on the offensive end.

Free throw shooting isn't their worst problem. The issue is still closing games on the offensive end. That means both play type and with turnover rate.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

Two guys coming off injury with way less shot volume throughout a 48 minute game.

I'm not surprised.

Even elite 3-point shooters at the NCAA level take 2-4 years to adjust. A lot of that is strength and conditioning.

We forget that we drafted kids and expected 25yo production. For the most part, we get that, except for specific categories, like free throw shooting.

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Yeah, I'm curious if their declines in FT% are typical or unusual, especially for players with All-Star aspirations.

Most guards and small forwards who make all-star team tend to be good free throwers, and they tend to shoot well starting in their rookie seasons.

But free throwing is all over the map. Rondo was best in his rookie season (64.7%) and dramatically declined. Kidd went from below average to good.

The high school question is interesting. There is a web site where you can check the high school stats of individual players, but I don't know of any across the board study
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo Ball changed his form and grew slightly since those HS years.

scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: We are the first team in NBA history that needs to make a trade, strictly off of Free Throw shooting.

activeverb wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
We have too many bad free throw shooters on this team and we have to move some.

Here's a fun one for you. During the Shaq Kobe 3-peat, we were the worst free throw shooting team in the league, hitting at a lower percentage than the current squad. I think our lowest year as a team during the three peat was 68%
That was mostly caused by Shaq though. Right now, we have multiple perimeter players who are horrible free throw shooters. That is unacceptable.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: We are the first team in NBA history that needs to make a trade, strictly off of Free Throw shooting.

activeverb wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:

Here's a fun one for you. During the Shaq Kobe 3-peat, we were the worst free throw shooting team in the league, hitting at a lower percentage than the current squad. I think our lowest year as a team during the three peat was 68%

The Lakers were 2nd, 3rd, and 6th in free throw attempts by team during their championship seasons, going off memory.

The 09 and 10 Lakers were mid pack in attempts and accuracy.

This year's team is mid pack in attempts, bottom in accuracy.

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: We are the first team in NBA history that needs to make a trade, strictly off of Free Throw shooting.

scoobs wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:

That was mostly caused by Shaq though. Right now, we have multiple perimeter players who are horrible free throw shooters. That is unacceptable.

Sure, but it gets you to the same place: You can be a horrible FT team and still win. (Some studies suggest the important thing isn't so much your FT% but whether you go to the line more than your opponent, which has implications for a defense and a lot of other things).

The bottom line is we've assembled a team of crappy shooters, which makes it a tougher problem to fix because the boat is leaking everywhere. There isn't going to be a fix this year. Next year, we definitely need better shooters.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject:

first and foremost, it's Lebron who should make his freethrows.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: