Who likes Charts? - 1/4/19 Edition

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellspawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Who likes Charts? - 1/4/19 Edition

New year, new chart! As before, here are three of my favorite metrics plotted against each other: WS/48, True Shooting %, and Usage % to create a picture of most players on the team. This time I added league averages for players averaging at least 15 minutes per game, which ended up being 237 players.

(Raw data adjusted to fit the chart, relativity remains. Click the magnifying glass)

https://imgur.com/a/zLEltPU

And the 11/12/18 version for comparison:

https://imgur.com/a/nIMoQ6k

Takeaways:

*Nice increased contributions to wins across many players, displaying positive learning from playing together

*Rondo is separating himself from Lonzo as a more effective contributor to wins, despite similar TS%, USG%, Rondo having a slightly higher turn over rate, Lonzo having a slightly higher rebounding rate, and Lonzo's great defensive abilities. This is due to Rondo's fantastic assist percentage (the percentage of teammate field goals a player assisted while he was on the floor) which is near the very top of the entire league, and likely other intangibles such as communication, leadership, and decision making.

*We are getting fantastic minutes from our bigs. I know most of us have been wonderfully surprised by Zu's emergence. Without their offensive efficiency, defense, and rebounding, we would be lost. I can only imagine how much more effective they would be if they had more space to operate if we had better 3-point shooting to stretch the defense.

*KCP has thankfully regained his form and his minutes have been a huge boost, while Hart's shooting has regressed a bit.

*Beasley, Hart, Lance, and Kuzma are all shooting about league average efficiency-wise, with Ingram, Rondo, and Lonzo below average. So Lebron, KCP and our bigs are what keep our offense humming.

*Lance still providing solid overall minutes off the bench

*Wagner is not shy when he is on the court, looking at his USG%. I like his confidence, he could be an interesting player.

*Here's hoping BI continues to learn and improve his overall game, whether we keep him or trade him. His mindset that "I must be a scorer" affects the flow of the offense. Would love to see more screen setting, movement away from the ball, and crashing boards from him. Not to mention, reduce turnovers, work on his 3, and cut-out the cringe-worthy iso-ball midrange shots unless the clock is running out. Thankfully he is great to have on the defensive end and he can create his own shot when the offense stalls. He will continue to be used as a playmaker with Lebron and Rondo out, but he seems to lack the quickness to consistently drive past his defender to collapse the defense and then kick out like Lonzo, Lance, and Hart can. And he is also not effective as a spot up shooter if those guys are able to collapse the defense.

Last edited by Hellspawn on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Good stuff. Thanks!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Why not plot them on the same chart so you can more easily see the difference?

Or plug latest data on one axis, percent difference on secondary, all on one chart? Just a suggestion!
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

where's the pi
Hellspawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

You're welcome, good sirs!

Did not plot them against each other because it is more a snapshot of how the team is currently doing, wasn't really caring too much about the comparison when I plotted it but left it there in case anyone was interested. Also, I have lazy.

The pi, I ate it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Hellspawn wrote:
You're welcome, good sirs!

Did not plot them against each other because it is more a snapshot of how the team is currently doing, wasn't really caring too much about the comparison when I plotted it but left it there in case anyone was interested. Also, I have lazy.

The pi, I ate it.

You could plot a column chart with current and stack a line chart on top with the previous data. Then you get both =)

I’m actually toying with Tableau currently so I’d love to do some cool visualizations at some point.
Hellspawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject:

That is true! Looking forward to your visualization!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: