We had three number two picks in three straight drafts.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: We had three number two picks in three straight drafts.

We (bleep) all three picks up, and the next draft after our streak ends the number two pick ends up averaging 19/6/5 as a rookie, out playing any season by any of our lottery picks since Kobe left.

Back luck or bad management?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: We had three number two picks in three straight drafts.

1ngr4m wrote:
We (bleep) all three picks up, and the next draft after our streak ends the number two pick ends up averaging 19/6/5 as a rookie, out playing any season by any of our lottery picks since Kobe left.

Bagley was #2, not Doncic.
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: We had three number two picks in three straight drafts.

GoldenThroat wrote:
1ngr4m wrote:

Bagley was #2, not Doncic.

Wow please delete this thread and save me the embarassment.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: We had three number two picks in three straight drafts.

1ngr4m wrote:

Both.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Beasley #2
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Beasley #2

Ingram's work ethic, playmaking, defense and age with Beasley's scoring and rebounding would be a monster.

:/
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Drafting, like pimpin, ain't easy.
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject:

The problem for this team stems from dysfunction at the top that hasn't ended. There was never a cohesive plan. Whenever a plan was put in place, someone messed with it and changed the plan.

The result is that we've only ever seen 2 year resets over and over again. 2 years just isn't enough to build anything, especially when young players are involved.

First it was the Jim Buss "I'll be back in 2 years" plan. So two years in, he gets waxed, and the new management basically comes in, wipes the deck, and starts over.

And Magic comes in and says the same thing. "Give me two years, and we'll be contenders". He signs Lebron at the tail end of his career, and now instead of having a bright future, we're on a ticking clock to compete now.

We're about to do it again. Ingram, Ball, Kuz, Hart are likely about to be jettisoned at their lowest value for minimal return. They're going to regain that value 2 years later while we continue to fail to live up to unrealistic expectations, and wipe the deck again for another 2 year window.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

awntawn wrote:
The problem for this team stems from dysfunction at the top that hasn't ended. There was never a cohesive plan. Whenever a plan was put in place, someone messed with it and changed the plan.

The result is that we've only ever seen 2 year resets over and over again. 2 years just isn't enough to build anything, especially when young players are involved.

First it was the Jim Buss "I'll be back in 2 years" plan. So two years in, he gets waxed, and the new management basically comes in, wipes the deck, and starts over.

And Magic comes in and says the same thing. "Give me two years, and we'll be contenders". He signs Lebron at the tail end of his career, and now instead of having a bright future, we're on a ticking clock to compete now.

We're about to do it again. Ingram, Ball, Kuz, Hart are likely about to be jettisoned at their lowest value for minimal return. They're going to regain that value 2 years later while we continue to fail to live up to unrealistic expectations, and wipe the deck again for another 2 year window.

Yeah, fire this new management team and just start all over from scratch...I think not...
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Probably bad luck
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

I think we would have selected Bagley instead of Doncic this year if we had the second pick. Kudos to the Mav management for making such a bold move for Doncic and they got rewarded...for now. Doncic could be another Mitchell. We don't know yet. The NBA could be so unpredictable at times.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject:

It ain't easy picking at the top. Most will just go with consensus picks for fear of looking stupid if the consensus was right.

That's why you can look like geniuses with the low picks. There is no pressure to take Jordan Clarkson, Kyle Kuzma, Larry Nance, etc.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

#2 picks are historically not too great tbh
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Remeber how we danced when we landed the #2 selections?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Sigh. Yeah.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Has anyone noticed that the #3 pick in drafts is more often than not better than the #2 pick in the same draft? Is there a reason for this?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
awntawn wrote:

Yeah, fire this new management team and just start all over from scratch...I think not...

It's not what I'm saying we should do. It's what is about to happen because of the nature of this organization's philosophies.

Magic has already put it on the record that he's going to get us another Superstar next summer and have us in the finals, and if not he's going to step down.

Right now, our assets aren't getting us Anthony Davis. KD says playing with Lebron is bad for Superstars. Kawhi's camp keeps saying he's deciding between the Raptors or the Clippers. Klay isn't leaving GSW, Jimmy Butler's finally winning in Philly. What's going to happen if we don't get anyone? Lebron's too old to wait for the young core to develop, so we cash them in and what does that get us? Bradley Beal? And after Lebron, Bradley Beal, a third non max FA, and the minimum scrap heap peak in the second conference, what do we do then? Does Jeannie or the LA fanbase let Magic off the hook for saying he'd get us 2 max free agents and get us competing for championships?
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
It ain't easy picking at the top. Most will just go with consensus picks for fear of looking stupid if the consensus was right.

That's why you can look like geniuses with the low picks. There is no pressure to take Jordan Clarkson, Kyle Kuzma, Larry Nance, etc.

Most people had Okafor going #2 when we took DLo. At least DLo had enough value to help us dump Mozgov, get Kuzma and sign Lebron.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

That's why I want to make changes to our FO so badly. It's pointless to have draft picks if we have incompetent people making the selections.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

That's why I want to make changes to our FO so badly. It's pointless to have draft picks if we have incompetent people making the selections.

BI's draft was widely called a 2-man draft. Every FO in the league would've taken BI #2.

Lonzo is a different story. Magic and Pelinka were unimpressed with his workouts but selected him anyway. I still haven't given up on Zo, but Tatum next to Lebron and Kuzma sounds really nice right now. That was a baller move by Ainge.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Can’t really blame them for the picks IMO.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

BI's draft was widely called a 2-man draft. Every FO in the league would've taken BI #2.

Lonzo is a different story. Magic and Pelinka were unimpressed with his workouts but selected him anyway. I still haven't given up on Zo, but Tatum next to Lebron and Kuzma sounds really nice right now. That was a baller move by Ainge.

Tatum would be an allstar right now as LeBron’s 2nd option, no doubt in my mind
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Hindsight draft:
2015: Kristaps Porzingis
2016: Jamal Murray
2017: Jayson Tatum

Jamal Murray
Jayson Tatum
Lebron James
Kyle Kuzma
Kristaps Porzingis

kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Drafting, like pimpin, ain't easy.

Bahahahahahhahaa!!! ROFL! So good man. Got me good!
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

We did not mess up with DLO, even with the benefit of hindsight. I sincerely doubt Porky would have fared very well here and he'd probably be just as injured. I still maintain that the jury is out on Zo/Ingram, although I'd probably prefer Jaylen Brown and Tatum (or Fox) at this point in time.

Last edited by Cutheon on Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: