We had three number two picks in three straight drafts.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
DA1 wrote:
DLo is starting to look like the player he was thought to be coming out of OSU.

Letting him go was a mistake.

Yeah he is starting to become a real problem smh he was my favorite young player and I think trading him had nothing to do with basketball and everything to do with rubbing the wrong people wrong in LA.

I think he’s going to haunt us for years

Btw we could have had Kuzma and Russel smh

He's a free agent this year. We can sign him if we want, then he won't haunt us for years.

No chance in hell he would ever accept a contract offer from the lakers again after how they treated him. There’s also no chance magic swallows his pride and offers him a contract because that would be like admitting he made a mistake. He’s all in on Lonzo ball as he should be. Remember he basically said Russell wasn’t a pointguard or a leader
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
No chance in hell he would ever accept a contract offer from the lakers again after how they treated him. There’s also no chance magic swallows his pride and offers him a contract because that would be like admitting he made a mistake. He’s all in on Lonzo ball as he should be. Remember he basically said Russell wasn’t a pointguard or a leader

He wasn't wrong about the first part. Russell isn't a point guard. He's a shooting guard with some passing ability that we tried to force into being a point guard because of organizational need, and then we got mad because he didn't point guard too well.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

i'd trade both ball and ingram for tatum at this point

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Too early to say how things are going to shake out with BI and Lonzo. They may thrive here or on another team. They may end up being better than Dlo or they may not. We won't know for several years down the line.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:

Why would Boston do that?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:
Boston laughs.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

He wasn't wrong about the first part. Russell isn't a point guard. He's a shooting guard with some passing ability that we tried to force into being a point guard because of organizational need, and then we got mad because he didn't point guard too well.

Idk...I think he has a great balance to his game. He will run your offense and make great passes within that offense. He’s not a pass first pointguard like magic wants because he’s trying to reinvent showtime, but he’s def a point guard imo.

He creates offense for others and he can run the sets the coach calls. He’s starting to put together games where he’s getting 20+ points and 10+ assists.

He’s what we want Lonzo to be...someone who can create for others but also get his own
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Stop it, he is just as much of a point guard, as Russell WestBrook is. Just because he isn't a strictly pass first guard doesn't make him not a point guard. And this take is weird because people complain about Lonzo's Offense the most(which is a fair criticism.)
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

VujacicForThree wrote:
Stop it, he is just as much of a point guard, as Russell WestBrook is. Just because he isn't a strictly pass first guard doesn't make him not a point guard.

Russell Westbrook career avg assists/game - 8.2

D'Angelo Russell career avg assists/game - 4.6

What was that again?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
DA1 wrote:
DLo is starting to look like the player he was thought to be coming out of OSU.

Letting him go was a mistake.

Yeah he is starting to become a real problem smh he was my favorite young player and I think trading him had nothing to do with basketball and everything to do with rubbing the wrong people wrong in LA.

I think he’s going to haunt us for years

Btw we could have had Kuzma and Russel smh

He's a free agent this year. We can sign him if we want, then he won't haunt us for years.

But you said letting him go is a mistake that will haunt us for years.

But, we can sign him as a free agent this summer.

So, isn't the bigger mistake not signing him this summer? Letting him go only cost us 2 years of his services. But, we can get him back this summer.

So isn't not offering him a contract this summer the mistake that will haunt us for years?
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

there's no way we're offering DLO a contract

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

I think that one is fortunate to avoid misfortune with a high lottery pick so as to be fortunate both to obtain a good player who can start within a couple or three years with a #1 through #7 pick and at the same time miss on selecting a nightmare.

The college ranks have been thinned out so severely over the past six years of one and done that there's not a lot of surefire picks in any one draft year. So many of the most coveted guys (based upon potential, individual measurable skills and functions) have spent such a small amount of time under one coach continuously that most aren't ready to be impact players within a system that requires adaption inside three years. It's a crap shoot for instant superstar wishers.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:

There's no way he's meeting with the Lakers either.

It's over.

Would have loved to have him on this team but...it's over.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I’d much rather have De’Aaron Fox than either D’lo or Lonzo. D’lo just seems like a better version of who he’s been. He’s nothing special. He’s not that efficient. He still has problems getting to the rim and drawing fouls. He doesn’t play defense. He just looks better when compared to Lonzo.

The draft misses have held the team back much more than letting go of Randle and Russell.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
D’lo just seems like a better version of who he’s been. He’s nothing special. He’s not that efficient. He still has problems getting to the rim and drawing fouls. He doesn’t play defense. He just looks better when compared to Lonzo.

This is exactly it. His TS% is inline with his career average. His FG% is up only 10 points over his career average. He's getting to the line slightly less this year. He's the same as he's always been, but he's not showing any drop off while putting up more shots. The only real difference is he's assisting more and his turnovers haven't gone up. His AST:TO is finally over 2:1.

He's capable, but nothing special. But when you compare him to Lonzo and Ingram [bleep]-show, he looks great.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Remember how we danced when we landed the #2 selections?

Yeah and our best two picks were at #27 & #30 (Hart & Kuz)...
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

It's over.

I feel the same way. I’d like to add we will regret Ball and Ingram too if we trade them for anyone other than AD.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
He's capable, but nothing special. But when you compare him to Lonzo and Ingram [bleep]-show, he looks great.

To be fair. He does have 1 more year of experience than Ingram. And two more than Ball.
But he's been ballin! Really happy for him.
The version of DLO we're seeing now in Brooklyn, not sure he'd be that same guy here (if we kept him).
Mostly because we'd still be Lebron's team and DLO would have a smaller role here. Also, the trade really matured him. Trades can have that affect on young players.
chickenjoy24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
#2 picks are historically not too great tbh

Oladipo is a baller now. He was pretty average and a low key bust for his first 4 years with the Magic/OKC but nobody cared because nobody cares about Orlando. No one remembers his time with OKC because that's the blank year after KD left and before PG arrived. Fast Fwd to year 5 and 6, all-star seasons as the leader of his team.

Even DLO in his 4th year (BRK) is averaging 18.4pts 6.4 ast 4reb

Jabari Parker tore his ACL in his first year and lingered through year 2. On year 3, he averaged 20pts, 6reb 2 ast then tore the same ACL again on year 4.

2nd picks before that were Derrick Williams ( a true bust ) and Evan Turner who was disappointing until year 5 (17.4ppg,6reb,4ast), then got traded and it's been downhill from there.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject:

chickenjoy24 wrote:
LKA wrote:
#2 picks are historically not too great tbh

Oladipo is a baller now. He was pretty average and a low key bust for his first 4 years with the Magic/OKC but nobody cared because nobody cares about Orlando. No one remembers his time with OKC because that's the blank year after KD left and before PG arrived. Fast Fwd to year 5 and 6, all-star seasons as the leader of his team.

Even DLO in his 4th year (BRK) is averaging 18.4pts 6.4 ast 4reb

Jabari Parker tore his ACL in his first year and lingered through year 2. On year 3, he averaged 20pts, 6reb 2 ast then tore the same ACL again on year 4.

2nd picks before that were Derrick Williams ( a true bust ) and Evan Turner who was disappointing until year 5 (17.4ppg,6reb,4ast), then got traded and it's been downhill from there.

#2 picks are historically better than virtually all of the picks after it.

LINK
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

It's over.

I feel the same way. I’d like to add we will regret Ball and Ingram too if we trade them for anyone other than AD.

Not if we had traded one for Paul George, we would be a contender with him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

It's over.

I don't trust PG13 staying on the Lakers even if he was traded.

He was a FREE agent, free to make his choice and he picked OKC.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

It's over.

He wasn’t a free agent when we could have traded for him but feel free to change the discussion. Again. He stayed in OKC because he felt they could win (and they are). Funny that I seem more confident in this FO than you seem to be, I think we could contend with him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

It's over.

He wasn’t a free agent when we could have traded for him but feel free to change the discussion. Again. He stayed in OKC because he felt they could win (and they are). Funny that I seem more confident in this FO than you seem to be, I think we could contend with him.

Nah, you're changing the discussion as you ASSUME the trade with PG13 was available. As we've seen (most notably with Sarver), teams aren't exactly bending over backwards to help the Lakers.

And even if PG13 was somehow traded to the very team he demanded to be traded to (and reports were that the Pacers didn't want to trade him to his favored destination), based on PG13's waffling personality, how can you say with 100% certainty that he stays here?

I wanted PG13, but it wasn't a foolish decision not to empty the cupboard for a free agent to be, especially when it was rumored that his camp told the Lakers not to empty the young talent out for him.

Turns out he's a very peculiar guy.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

It's over.

Nah, you're changing the discussion as you ASSUME the trade with PG13 was available. As we've seen (most notably with Sarver), teams aren't exactly bending over backwards to help the Lakers.

And even if PG13 was somehow traded to the very team he demanded to be traded to (and reports were that the Pacers didn't want to trade him to his favored destination), based on PG13's waffling personality, how can you say with 100% certainty that he stays here?

I wanted PG13, but it wasn't a foolish decision not to empty the cupboard for a free agent to be, especially when it was rumored that his camp told the Lakers not to empty the young talent out for him.

Turns out he's a very peculiar guy.

Someone played us when PG was in Indiana. Both George and Mintz are cut from the same cloth. Telling the Lakers to not trade for him, and then blaming the Lakers for not trading for him. Maybe PG told Callie Rivers he wouldn’t get a stripper pregnant then cheated on her and got a stripper pregnant. Who knows?

I wasn’t fond of PG and WB flexing over our G-League squad either. But yes VFL, PG13 would be another good trade. But that trade is no longer there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: