We need a leader not named Lebron
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
, the distraction caused by trade speculation third. .

Trade speculation comes with being on the Lakers. Been that way for 20 years. If you can't handle it, you belong on another team.

And really the players on this team have seen Deng frozen out so he took a buyout, and they've seen Randle, Nance, Moz, Clarkson, Russell, etc. traded. By your second season you should know that trades are simply part of the job of being in the nBA.

Last edited by activeverb on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

Starting point guard should be the leader
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
I blame his absence first, Kuzma's absence second, the distraction caused by trade speculation third.

Two of them were unavoidable (injuries) the other was self inflicted.

We all knew that's the risk you take when you sign LBJ... but still, I wish he hadn't said what he did.

Again, using Kobe as a standard, it pushed Bynum to be greater.

It's not exactly a secret about AD, but thankfully for the young core, I don't think they're nearly enough for an AD trade.

Disagree, Bynum worked to be greater before he was even a Laker, his hard work transformed his body into a quality athlete before the draft. Kobe had nothing to do with it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
, the distraction caused by trade speculation third. .

Trade speculation comes with being on the Lakers. Been that way for 20 years. If you can't handle it, you belong on another team.

And really the players on this team have seen Deng frozen out so he took a buyout, and they've seen Randle, Nance, Moz, Clarkson, Russell, etc. traded. By your second season you should know that trades are simply part of the job of being in the nBA.

That shouldn’t stop someone from being human
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject:

We have a 2nd leader but he's out too and has been out for most of the season: Rondo. The FO needs to start calling around the league see what they can get for a KCP BI package. I am hoping for Beal he would help us tremendously and be a legit 2nd all star for Bron.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

We had one named Randle. Yes, he took entire plays and games off mentally at times. But he NEVER backed down to anyone.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
I blame his absence first, Kuzma's absence second, the distraction caused by trade speculation third.

We all knew that's the risk you take when you sign LBJ... but still, I wish he hadn't said what he did.

It's not exactly a secret about AD, but thankfully for the young core, I don't think they're nearly enough for an AD trade.

Disagree, Bynum worked to be greater before he was even a Laker, his hard work transformed his body into a quality athlete before the draft. Kobe had nothing to do with it.

That's the point.

The poster was saying that LBJ agreeing that it would be great to play with AD is the reason our young core (in part) are floundering. If that's the case, their mental makeup is suspect.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

What it truly comes down to is... we just need players that can shoot at a good level. Lonzo is shooting what? 42% from the free throw line? and Ingram.. 62% from the free throw line? In this modern NBA, you need players that can SHOOT. period.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
We have a 2nd leader but he's out too and has been out for most of the season: Rondo. The FO needs to start calling around the league see what they can get for a KCP BI package. I am hoping for Beal he would help us tremendously and be a legit 2nd all star for Bron.

It would make more sense for Ball to be our leader, not a rental like Rondo.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

That's the point.

The poster was saying that LBJ agreeing that it would be great to play with AD is the reason our young core (in part) are floundering. If that's the case, their mental makeup is suspect.

I don't understand the surprise. Just recall what happened to Odom & Pau before & after basketball reasons; and they were already men, not this kids.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

That's the point.

I don't understand the surprise. Just recall what happened to Odom & Pau before & after basketball reasons; and they were already men, not this kids.

They won rings and thought they had established futures on the team that was earned.

Our young guys watched DLO/Jules/JC/Nance all get traded/let go, they think they're immune to this kind of talk?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: We need a leader not named Lebron

troy wrote:
Teams are not only beating our Lakers, but they are clowning them, making fun of them, talking s**t and bullying them. And not one person is standing up to any of it. Beasly, a proven vet from the tough streets of New York has it within him, but which of our young core is going to take a stance and stop the clowning we've been getting?

I guess you mean another leader. LBJ is the teams leader and scorer; we don't have
a second player on this team capable of leading by example at this moment.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakerican wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

That's the point.

They won rings and thought they had established futures on the team that was earned.

Our young guys watched DLO/Jules/JC/Nance all get traded/let go, they think they're immune to this kind of talk?

Magic spoke well of Ingram and drafted Ball.

Randle and Russell belonged to the previous regime and Magic didn't praise/project for them like he did for Ingram and Ball.

Maybe they were just naive and thought that they were the chosen ones while Randle and Russell weren't.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

If I'm a young guy who knows that the team has championship aspirations, I would do my best to be a fit for that goal. If nebulous trade talk (and if they read the fine print to understand that AD is not likely to be traded this year b/c the Celts aren't permitted to trade for him now) bothers them this much that they can't perform on the court, how will they perform in crunch time?

The real story here is that we are down too many important pieces (LBJ, Kuz, Rondo), and the young core is not in a talent-position to beat teams that are poor like the Knicks.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Did folks want Kobe traded when he said "ship his ass out" re: Bynum? Of course not.

Bynum bucked up and made Bean eat his words with his on court play.

Uhmm.. i guess we'll ignore that guy named Gasol?

But ya if talking about AD suddenly messed up the team i'm unsure what jobs these guys can actually handle.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I'm always dubious when people try to give one player credit for another player's success.

Bynum has said recently that having Kobe around was good for his initial development, because he took pressure off him, but Bynum also said he feel kobe stunted his growth. Take that for what it's worth. And of course you'll have other people who want to give Kareem credit for Bynum.

Personally, I think this is one of those things where they see what they want based on who they like or dislike.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Look, you can't talk "inspiring" nonsense about let your teammate pick you up off the court... always pick your teammates off the floor... then proceed to hug Chris Paul after he fights with your team... then proceed to use the media to court a player that requires a good portion of your current team.

If he always used the cutthroat business first approach... I'd have no problem with him doing that... but you can't talk all this sh*t about inspiring your team yet your actions show something different.

This is the time when he and Rondo should be seen with their arms around the youngsters... trying to instill confidence and belief... not when they are winning.

But I saw none of that... maybe the tv cameras didn't show it and he was... but I didn't see anything but he and Rondo watching.

How would you feel if your boss was telling you to fight for your company... and next thing you saw was him calling up some headhunters about your position? Would this inspire you?

I agree that bottom line, the players haven't been doing enough either... but the fact still remains is that LBJ shouldn't be courting AD if he wants to build team unity.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Look, you can't talk "inspiring" nonsense about let your teammate pick you up off the court... always pick your teammates off the floor... then proceed to hug Chris Paul after he fights with your team... then proceed to use the media to court a player that requires a good portion of your current team.

If he always used the cutthroat business first approach... I'd have no problem with him doing that... but you can't talk all this sh*t about inspiring your team yet your actions show something different.

Like it or not, that's Lebron. He's spent 15 years in the league declaring he would love to play with any of his buddies he could (Bosh, Wade, Carmelo, Paul etc.), while constantly whining he needs more help. Whether that's have a positive, negative or neutral effect on his teams is in the eye of the beholder.

I think it's also a mark of his generation. Larry and Magic were barely civil to each other for a long time. Lebron and the modern guys all hang out together, and put away any competitive feelings the second the buzzer sounds. Whether that has any effect on what happens during the game is again in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, I don't like the lovey-dovey nature of the NBA, but I don't think it's gong to change. It's a social media age where players don't guard their opinions as much, they feel entitled, and they'll move on from their current team in a second if they don't get exactly they want.

Any who knows? Maybe Lebron's GM-ing will prompt AD to push for a trade to LA, and we'll be very glad he did while we watch the players we trade continue their mediocre performance elsewhere.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Like it or not, that's Lebron. He's spent 15 years in the league declaring he would love to play with any of his buddies he could (Bosh, Wade, Carmelo, Paul etc.), while constantly whining he needs more help. Whether that's have a positive, negative or neutral effect on his teams is in the eye of the beholder.

I think it's also a mark of his generation. Larry and Magic were barely civil to each other for a long time. Lebron and the modern guys all hang out together, and put away any competitive feelings the second the buzzer sounds. Whether that has any effect on what happens during the game is again in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, I don't like the lovey-dovey nature of the NBA, but I don't think it's gong to change. It's a social media age where players don't guard their opinions as much, they feel entitled, and they'll move on from their current team in a second if they don't get exactly they want.

Any who knows? Maybe Lebron's GM-ing will prompt AD to push for a trade to LA, and we'll be very glad he did while we watch the players we trade continue their mediocre performance elsewhere.

I don't mind if he takes the Kobe, show me effort and results or you are out approach... what I mind is when you preach team unity and love and then throw them under the bus the first chance when things don't go your way.

Pick a lane... then commit to it.

But I wanted LBJ as much as most here wanted him so as a fan I have to live with it.

I hate it when someone preaches one thing and doesn't follow it themselves though... so, I'd be pretty annoyed if I were a teammate.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

I don't mind if he takes the Kobe, show me effort and results or you are out approach... what I mind is when you preach team unity and love and then throw them under the bus the first chance when things don't go your way.

Pick a lane... then commit to it.

But I wanted LBJ as much as most here wanted him so as a fan I have to live with it.

I hate it when someone preaches one thing and doesn't follow it themselves though... so, I'd be pretty annoyed if I were a teammate.

If I were his teammate I'd be realistic. I'd know that Lebron wants me to succeed, and the team to play well, because that's in his best interest. But I'd also know he'd support trading me in a second if it improved his chances of winning.

That's just the nature of the NBA. You're in it together, but at the same time everyone is in it for themselves.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakerican wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

That's the point.

Knowing your company is going through a hard time doesn't mean layoffs are less of a concern when they are mentioned. Shut up and play is fans dehumanizing players.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

Knowing your company is going through a hard time doesn't mean layoffs are less of a concern when they are mentioned. Shut up and play is fans dehumanizing players.

Basketball players are entertainers who make more in one season than most people do in a lifetime.

Contractually, they're agreed they can be reassigned to another team without their permission at any time. Last year about 50 players were traded -- 10% of the players in the league are traded each season. Being traded isn't some unusual occurence -- it happens to almost every player if he's fortunate enough to have a long career.

Most players take this professional. If it stresses them out, they don't make a big display of it. It is simply part of their job.

This isn't analogous to workers being laid off. That's a true hardship.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

Basketball players are entertainers who make more in one season than most people do in a lifetime.

Contractually, they're agreed they can be reassigned to another team without their permission at any time. Last year about 50 players were traded -- 10% of the players in the league are traded each season. Being traded isn't some unusual occurence -- it happens to almost every player if he's fortunate enough to have a long career.

Most players take this professional. If it stresses them out, they don't make a big display of it. It is simply part of their job.

Contractually, workers agree they can be laid off any time and about 5% of workers get laid off a year. So what? The Lakers players aren't making a "big display" of it either. It may be altering performance though through over compensating, pushing to hard to make something happen and over-analyzing their actions but they aren't lashing out or complaining.

$$ doesn't make stress disappear. Doesn't make moving a family painless (yes it's less of a pain but not painless).

So what's the minimum threshold of hardship before it counts?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

Contractually, workers agree they can be laid off any time and about 5% of workers get laid off a year. So what? The Lakers players aren't making a "big display" of it either. It may be altering performance though through over compensating, pushing to hard to make something happen and over-analyzing their actions but they aren't lashing out or complaining.

$$ doesn't make stress disappear. Doesn't make moving a family painless (yes it's less of a pain but not painless).

So what's the minimum threshold of hardship before it counts?

I don't know if I can imagine a more first world problem than an NBA player, making $7 million a year, stressed out because he might be required to move to a different city and play for a different team

Sure, trades and trade rumors can be stressful. However, they are a normal part of an NBA player's job. On a 1-100 scale of things to care about, with 1 being the lowest, they are about a .0000000001 in my book.

Also:

1. Attempts to analogous NBA players to office or factory workers always falls flat. When an office worker gets laid off, they are losing a job and a paycheck. When an NBA player gets traded, he keeps his job and paycheck.

2. If Lebron telling reporters that he'd love to play with Anthony Davis creates a hardship for his teammates, I'm not really sympathetic. And personally I think fans make it into a bigger deal than it actually is. The notion that Lebron's comment had a significant impact on guy's performance strikes me as unlikely.
Lazlow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Sad for the Knicks loss. Really could've used that cuz I dunno if we can beat the Pistons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: