We need a leader not named Lebron
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo Ball

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
Lonzo Ball

Is no leader
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject:

Rondo is the closest thing after Lebron to a leader on this team.

Then there's pretty much nobody since the rest are either inconsequential or introverts.

Maybe Tyson Chandler but he's not vocal enough.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

Yup. Rondo was brought on to help with the leadership role.

Tyson is a vocal defensive captain.

BI/Lonzo don't have the personality to be vocal leaders. More quiet.
PengShow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

Maybe one of them grows into it, none of them really strike me as leaders of anything.

They're all followers.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject:

Of the young core, Kuz has the most leadership potential, IMO.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

Keep the leader and give me good players like Leonard or Durant

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

If Zo gets his mojo back, his personality could lend itself to leadership. Won't be a possibility until he has conquered his fears out there though.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
Lonzo Ball

Is no leader

you dont need to be vocal to be a leader. he and BI lead the team by setting the tone early last night

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
We have one. His name is Rondo, and he's also hurt.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
Lonzo Ball

Is no leader

you dont need to be vocal to be a leader. he and BI lead the team by setting the tone early last night

At some point in many NBA player careers, a player leads the team in a given game. That doesn't make him a leader.

A leader leads on a consistent basis. Zo isn't that. Yet. Neither is BI.

And good leaders are vocal.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
Lonzo Ball

Is no leader

At some point in many NBA player careers, a player leads the team in a given game. That doesn't make him a leader.

the thread was made before the Dallas game, and it was true, we needed someone to pick the team up and lead them. last night Zo and BI did that. its that simple. no need to over analyze

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
Lonzo Ball

Is no leader

the thread was made before the Dallas game, and it was true, we needed someone to pick the team up and lead them. last night Zo and BI did that. its that simple. no need to over analyze

Right, but aren't we talking about leadership in general?

Otherwise, we can just change the thread title to "we need players to step up without Lebron".

A player can lead the way on the court, and not be a leader. Rondo, for instance, rarely leads the way on the court but he is always a leader out there. Lebron too.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
Lonzo Ball

Is no leader

Right, but aren't we talking about leadership in general?

Otherwise, we can just change the thread title to "we need players to step up without Lebron".

A player can lead the way on the court, and not be a leader. Rondo, for instance, rarely leads the way on the court but he is always a leader out there. Lebron too.

Rondo is a leader in every sense, both off and on the court, youre right about that. but if it is a vocal leader (something like this i assume:
) in his and Lebrons absence, i really dont know who that would be. i just can speak of things i see on the court

deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
Lonzo Ball

Is no leader

In any case behind LeBron, it would be Rondo. Interesting to see
how the off season ( or trade deadline) works or not for us because
serious help is needed.

It's tough to put everything the court on LeBron at his age.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
That sounds like a lot of conjecture Splashmtn
Russell has been the best player on a streaking BK team, 5th in the East. His coach lauds his coachability and he looks like a encouraging/great teammate on the court and the bench. Demonstratively encouraging, like a leader

no, you dont understand. you can be the best SCORER on your team and still not be a good leader. not saying he's bad. i'm saying he isnt a leader at all yet and i'm not sure he's trying to be one. thats also a difference.

i agree its impossible for zo to be a leader blowing layups and airballing wide open shots. not going to happen. BUt you could CLEARLY see from his first Summer league game as quit as zo is/was. He was leading that team and they were playing like him. i have NEVER, EVER, once seen our lakers nor the nets play like rus have you?

What magic saw in Zo. UCLA also saw in ZO and so did chino hills. he is/was a leader. the problem is, he started to get into his own head. it started with the horrific ft shooting, leaked into the air balled 3's and now its the blown layups and the I'm out of it because i just blew 2 layups type of game play we're seeing.

We all wanted Rus to be a leader but he didnt necessarily care to be one. we didnt know that when we drafted him. we knew he was capable but we didnt know he really wasnt tripping about being one. thats hard to gauge with a guy until he gets in the nba and starts thinking about his brand, getting paid(not a bad thing), and other things. he's growing up deciding who he's going to be. maybe his decision isnt about being some great team leader. maybe its putting up some really good numbers, winning some games. and getting Money and working it that way. us fans think thats bad. its not. these guys are at the top of their profession, can many of us say that?NOPE. so once you get to the mountain top, you do have a right to say i dont care about being this or that. you've earned that right. so its not a knock on Rus at all. its just the truth...as of this moment. that could change in a few years.

kuz is playing well and yet he's not a leader at all. he's an individual. doesnt mean he can't change into one. but it means everyone isnt a born leader and some who have the qualities dont always desire to be one. then you have some who dont have the qualities who want to be one and that is an issue too lol.

What qualities have you seen from Russ this year on BK that show he’s not a leader. I feel like I listed some actually tangibly shown evidence and you did not
you dont ask what evidence does a guy have to not be a leader. it doesnt work that way. its the other way around. i dont see him showing leadership, thats the answer. what i do see is him getting older and a bit more savvy on offense and just knowing how the nba works on and off the court for a few years helps a lot. knowing the players you play with and against makes it a lot less scary for you. you've kind of been there, done that.

Put it this way. Lou williams is a very good scorer. he was a very good scorer for the lakers. was he a leader? Not really. thats dlo. He's just a more willing passer than Lou will.

Dont confuse a guys suspect offense with him not being a leader vs a guy with more efficient or more consistent offense with him being a leader. offense does not mean you're a leader. there are a ton of offensive minded players that do well but are not leaders.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
no he doesnt. he has the most scoring potential. you see how this goes. you guys really think being a good scorer = being a good leader. or being a good scorer and talkative = being a good leader. no it doesnt. there's tons of guys in the nba that talk and score well still not leaders. they are good at what they do and thats where it ends.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
no he doesnt. he has the most scoring potential. you see how this goes. you guys really think being a good scorer = being a good leader. or being a good scorer and talkative = being a good leader. no it doesnt. there's tons of guys in the nba that talk and score well still not leaders. they are good at what they do and thats where it ends.

No, I don't think being a good scorer = being a good leader. However, of the young core, who displays better leadership? BI and Zo not yet, Hart, no.

Right now, for me, it's Kuz because although I don't see him being particularly vocal, he never sulks (with BI/Zo do when things aren't going well), and he is the one guy of the 4 who is capable of taking over a game by himself and hitting big shots.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
I blame his absence first, Kuzma's absence second, the distraction caused by trade speculation third.

Two of them were unavoidable (injuries) the other was self inflicted.

We all knew that's the risk you take when you sign LBJ... but still, I wish he hadn't said what he did.

Again, using Kobe as a standard, it pushed Bynum to be greater.

It's not exactly a secret about AD, but thankfully for the young core, I don't think they're nearly enough for an AD trade.

Disagree, Bynum worked to be greater before he was even a Laker, his hard work transformed his body into a quality athlete before the draft. Kobe had nothing to do with it.

I'm always dubious when people try to give one player credit for another player's success.

Bynum has said recently that having Kobe around was good for his initial development, because he took pressure off him, but Bynum also said he feel kobe stunted his growth. Take that for what it's worth. And of course you'll have other people who want to give Kareem credit for Bynum.

Personally, I think this is one of those things where they see what they want based on who they like or dislike.
kobe, gasol, kareem, and phil all helped bynum in a number of ways. kareem helped him with skill. kobe, gasol helped learn how to be a professional and how to work at something to get results. and kobe, phil taught him not to be afraid in the moment. but truth is, maybe he wasnt going to fear those moments anyway. thats in some guys dna. others not so much. Drew didnt care about kobe saying that. i mean he cared cause who doesnt want to be loved. but it didnt harm his play on the court because he was trying to become the best big man in the nba. that was his OWN personal goal and to become an allstar. he said so himself. again another one of his own personal goals. those goals had nothing to do with being a laker. sure he liked being one. but thats why he said there are banks in other cities and every laker fans got all hurt. lol. i didnt because i knew what he meant after year in and year out of trade rumors even when he did well and worked his tail off to come back from injury after major injury. at some point you get sick and tired of hearing about it and you just tell people look i would like to be here but if yall dont want me lets be clear i will get paid to ball out some where else. our current guys are not really of that mentality except for maybe kuz. kuz is more about himself and reaching his own personal goals than he is thinking about the lakers doing this or that. sure he wants to win and probably loves playing and living in L.A. but from a basketball perspective he isnt focusing on that.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
I blame his absence first, Kuzma's absence second, the distraction caused by trade speculation third.

Two of them were unavoidable (injuries) the other was self inflicted.

We all knew that's the risk you take when you sign LBJ... but still, I wish he hadn't said what he did.

Again, using Kobe as a standard, it pushed Bynum to be greater.

It's not exactly a secret about AD, but thankfully for the young core, I don't think they're nearly enough for an AD trade.

Disagree, Bynum worked to be greater before he was even a Laker, his hard work transformed his body into a quality athlete before the draft. Kobe had nothing to do with it.

I'm always dubious when people try to give one player credit for another player's success.

Bynum has said recently that having Kobe around was good for his initial development, because he took pressure off him, but Bynum also said he feel kobe stunted his growth. Take that for what it's worth. And of course you'll have other people who want to give Kareem credit for Bynum.

Personally, I think this is one of those things where they see what they want based on who they like or dislike.
kobe, gasol, kareem, and phil all helped bynum in a number of ways. kareem helped him with skill. kobe, gasol helped learn how to be a professional and how to work at something to get results. and kobe, phil taught him not to be afraid in the moment. but truth is, maybe he wasnt going to fear those moments anyway. thats in some guys dna. others not so much. Drew didnt care about kobe saying that. i mean he cared cause who doesnt want to be loved. but it didnt harm his play on the court because he was trying to become the best big man in the nba. that was his OWN personal goal and to become an allstar. he said so himself. again another one of his own personal goals. those goals had nothing to do with being a laker. sure he liked being one. but thats why he said there are banks in other cities and every laker fans got all hurt. lol. i didnt because i knew what he meant after year in and year out of trade rumors even when he did well and worked his tail off to come back from injury after major injury. at some point you get sick and tired of hearing about it and you just tell people look i would like to be here but if yall dont want me lets be clear i will get paid to ball out some where else. our current guys are not really of that mentality except for maybe kuz. kuz is more about himself and reaching his own personal goals than he is thinking about the lakers doing this or that. sure he wants to win and probably loves playing and living in L.A. but from a basketball perspective he isnt focusing on that.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

No, I don't think being a good scorer = being a good leader. However, of the young core, who displays better leadership? BI and Zo not yet, Hart, no.

Right now, for me, it's Kuz because although I don't see him being particularly vocal, he never sulks (with BI/Zo do when things aren't going well), and he is the one guy of the 4 who is capable of taking over a game by himself and hitting big shots.
again, not sulking is not the definition of being a good leader either. it just means you dont get down on yourself. you go on to the next play. sure you would like a leader to be that way. but thats not always the case.

i dont ever recall Lou williams sulking. and he was a good scorer but still not a leader like that.

You are only a leader when people follow you. No one at the moment is following Kuz. Kuz is being kuz all by himself.

i will say this again, the moment zo stepped on that SPL court. he turned the team into a bunch of lonzo balls. we all so it. even when he was out hurt, they still played like him or attempted to. even kuz was trying to rebound and kick and guys were making the extra pass at times too much. but they did that because they saw zo doing it.

this is why bad people can be good leaders. because its not about these fake leadership qualities people talk about. its simple, DO PEOPLE FOLLOW YOU? YEs or NO. if the answer is NO then you're not a leader. no matter your qualities or qualifications to be a leader.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

again, not sulking is not the definition of being a good leader either. it just means you dont get down on yourself. you go on to the next play. sure you would like a leader to be that way. but thats not always the case.

i dont ever recall Lou williams sulking. and he was a good scorer but still not a leader like that.

You are only a leader when people follow you. No one at the moment is following Kuz. Kuz is being kuz all by himself.

i will say this again, the moment zo stepped on that SPL court. he turned the team into a bunch of lonzo balls. we all so it. even when he was out hurt, they still played like him or attempted to. even kuz was trying to rebound and kick and guys were making the extra pass at times too much. but they did that because they saw zo doing it.

this is why bad people can be good leaders. because its not about these fake leadership qualities people talk about. its simple, DO PEOPLE FOLLOW YOU? YEs or NO. if the answer is NO then you're not a leader. no matter your qualities or qualifications to be a leader.

Well, I at no point said Kuz is a leader. And I think there are many things that make for a leader, and not all leaders have all of those things. I just said I think Kuz has the most potential of the 4. Does that mean I think he holds or will hold every single trait of a great leader? No.

I think the "will they follow you" test is a good one, but not a leadership panacea either particularly because sometimes a player is put in a leadership position by default, but not because they are great leaders. Or perhaps they are really vocal and drown out other voices. For instance, I think Russell Westbrook's team follows him but I do not think he makes a great leader.

There are so many elements to being a great leader. To me, the biggest one (again, not the be all, but a big one) is, whether a player has the confidence and ability to lay it all out on the line and carry his team to victory, AND, his followers entrust in him to do so on their behalf. (Again, this doesn't mean ALL players who can do this are leaders, its the other way around, all leaders can do this).

Scoring alone doesn't make for a great leader, but, IMO, you have to be able to do it. Gotta hit the big shots and make the big plays down the stretch.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Well, I at no point said Kuz is a leader. And I think there are many things that make for a leader, and not all leaders have all of those things. I just said I think Kuz has the most potential of the 4. Does that mean I think he holds or will hold every single trait of a great leader? No.

I think the "will they follow you" test is a good one, but not a leadership panacea either particularly because sometimes a player is put in a leadership position by default, but not because they are great leaders. Or perhaps they are really vocal and drown out other voices. For instance, I think Russell Westbrook's team follows him but I do not think he makes a great leader.

There are so many elements to being a great leader. To me, the biggest one (again, not the be all, but a big one) is, whether a player has the confidence and ability to lay it all out on the line and carry his team to victory, AND, his followers entrust in him to do so on their behalf. (Again, this doesn't mean ALL players who can do this are leaders, its the other way around, all leaders can do this).

Scoring alone doesn't make for a great leader, but, IMO, you have to be able to do it. Gotta hit the big shots and make the big plays down the stretch.

make big plays means what? making the big shot only? or making the play that sets up for the big shot?

Jordan makes the play to set up the steve kerr corner three. steve made the big shot but MJ set up the play.

This is what i'm talking about.

You see what zo did last night. you see what killer kuz did last night. All bias aside we both know zo was leading that team last night. similar to how josh hart actually led the team the game before, when zo had a much better stat line. Part of the reason kuz scored so well was obviously because he is not afraid to take the shots and he has a nice touch to make the shot. but someone on sports talk made a comment saying that was a kobe like 3rd qtr because he scored so much. I'm like...naw...that aint that. It was more like a klay thompson i'm hot quarter. which is still extremely valuable. the difference, one guy creates darn near every shot for himself vs multiple defenders and a team trying to stop him not one player but an entire TEAM. WHile the other guy has half of his shots created for him by way of the offense and other guys hitting him on excellent cuts(credit to kuz..and they actually missed him on a couple of moves to be honest.)

The reason its not the same even though kuz is doing the V and L cutting. is due to the fact, those cuts would become turnovers if they tried to pass it to him if the defense didnt respect the other guys that were handling the ball(primarily zo, and others). That created that extra space for a nice 1 v 1 play or a cut off of a one man defender situation.

This is also why kuz is not a #2 on a ring team yet. he's a #3 just like Klay again Excellent pick up by the lakers to get that kind of player that late in the draft.

Now there may come a time next season or after where he becomes a clear leader of this team or some other team where we are both looking like look at our boy kuz, he's an official superstar.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
make big plays means what? making the big shot only? or making the play that sets up for the big shot?

Jordan makes the play to set up the steve kerr corner three. steve made the big shot but MJ set up the play.

This is what i'm talking about.

You see what zo did last night. you see what killer kuz did last night. All bias aside we both know zo was leading that team last night. similar to how josh hart actually led the team the game before, when zo had a much better stat line. Part of the reason kuz scored so well was obviously because he is not afraid to take the shots and he has a nice touch to make the shot. but someone on sports talk made a comment saying that was a kobe like 3rd qtr because he scored so much. I'm like...naw...that aint that. It was more like a klay thompson i'm hot quarter. which is still extremely valuable. the difference, one guy creates darn near every shot for himself vs multiple defenders and a team trying to stop him not one player but an entire TEAM. WHile the other guy has half of his shots created for him by way of the offense and other guys hitting him on excellent cuts(credit to kuz..and they actually missed him on a couple of moves to be honest.)

The reason its not the same even though kuz is doing the V and L cutting. is due to the fact, those cuts would become turnovers if they tried to pass it to him if the defense didnt respect the other guys that were handling the ball(primarily zo, and others). That created that extra space for a nice 1 v 1 play or a cut off of a one man defender situation.

This is also why kuz is not a #2 on a ring team yet. he's a #3 just like Klay again Excellent pick up by the lakers to get that kind of player that late in the draft.

Now there may come a time next season or after where he becomes a clear leader of this team or some other team where we are both looking like look at our boy kuz, he's an official superstar.

Hmm. If the example you provided, is what the best leaders do, then that would make guys like Steve Nash more leader-like than guys like MJ and Kobe.

Which of the following happened with greater regularity? MJ taking the shot, or him dishing out to a teammate? I don't have data, but, my feeling says it's the former. Sometimes, making the play that sets up for the big shot means making a play for yourself.

I understand you're trying to narrow this all down to a single factor whether that be "will they follow you" or "did they set up the play for the big shot" but IMO, that's not really how leadership works. It's not a game-to-game type of thing. We might be able to agree, on any given night, that Player X "led the way" and on the next night Player Y did, and I can get on board with that, but that is different than being a leader.

All that said, I don't think ANY of the young core are leaders yet. My original post simply said I think Kuz has the greatest potential of our 4 core players. Why do I think that? Because of the 4, he is the one guy who WANTS the responsibility of taking that big shot. I'm sure the other guys are willing, but Kuz wants it. He's also the most vocal of the 4. Those aren't all of the traits that make up a leader, but IMO, they are critical ones that give Kuz a leg up on the other 3 for now.

(But, interesting discussion, so here's what I'll do -- I'll set up a separate thread/poll and ask people to discuss who they think has the most leadership potential, and why).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
Lonzo Ball

Is no leader

And when they didn’t set the tone in previous games? No leadership? I disagree, teammates have to know they are being led. That being said, Lebron is the leader of this team, I don’t understand why we would look at anyone else.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: