Houston Trip Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
onepinoyboy8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Houston Trip Recommendations

I will be traveling to Houston for a weekend to watch the Lakers play but need recommendations on what to do/eat/go in Houston. I also am open to driving to San Antonio or Austin if there is any notable places to go over there.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject:

Drive to Lafayette and eat some good food.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Drive to Lafayette and eat some good food.

I ate at Prejean's last week...
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

Id say its a must to try a highly regarded bbq joint as well as some cajun food. I went once to check on some rental properties and didnt hav... the bbq place I tried wasnt anything special but there was this 24/7 soul food cafe that really impressed me. It was like a dream come true to be able to get some shrimp and grits at midnight
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

If you want some good live music while you're there.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
If you want some good live music while you're there.

Kinky on the 11th...I'm an azzwhole from El Paso
So hosin' sheep is good enough for us.

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Sorry about your getting stuck in Houston for a weekend, but hey, at least it's a small step up from being stuck in Cleveland. Luckily for you, since you're willing to take the trip to Austin, then entire weekend doesn't have to be miserable. For straight up mouth tingling BBQ, you've got a choice between Franklins, Rudy's, or the legendary Salt Lick. If you want to chase a little tail, or simply people watch, then can't beat a good time on the water at Hula Hut.

Now if you decide not to leave Houston, then rumor is the Robot Shop that Houston's City council just shot down has actually gone mobile in the interim, could help distract you from the fact you're stuck in HoustHell.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Sorry about your getting stuck in Houston for a weekend, but hey, at least it's a small step up from being stuck in Cleveland. Luckily for you, since you're willing to take the trip to Austin, then entire weekend doesn't have to be miserable. For straight up mouth tingling BBQ, you've got a choice between Franklins, Rudy's, or the legendary Salt Lick. If you want to chase a little tail, or simply people watch, then can't beat a good time on the water at Hula Hut.

Now if you decide not to leave Houston, then rumor is the Robot Shop that Houston's City council just shot down has actually gone mobile in the interim, could help distract you from the fact you're stuck in HoustHell.

Gatlins BBQ in Houston is good. I've heard that Killens, in Pearland is the best though.

I live in Austin, and can confirm Franklin's is a great. Salt Lick may be the best atmosphere but I hate their bbq and sides. If you want solid bbq, without having to wait in line for 3 hours, go to Styles Switch, Valentinas, J. Muellers or as mentioned Rudy's.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject:

The best barbecue in the Houston area is probably Killens in Pearland. Houston has a lot of good food. It just depends on what you like.

Houston is not a tourist destination, so there aren’t a lot of unique things to do. There are some areas with nightlife, if you’re into that sort of thing. You can visit NASA, or go down to the Boardwalk in Galveston. If you want to drive for barbecue, I’d recommend Lockhart. The places in Austin like Franklins will make you get in line for a long time.

There are some nice bars and restaurants on Main Street not far from Toyota Center. The Flying Saucer is good for beer, and Moonshiners has great food. If you were in town on a weeknight, I’d tell you to come have a cigar and talk Lakers, but alas the cigar shop is closed on weekends.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Let me add some Tex-Mex recommendations: the original Ninfas on Navigation (near downtown), El Tiempo (run by the family that founded Ninfas), and Molinas (known for being a favorite of the late President Bush). The original Ninfas is still the standard bearer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: