Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

C-BUS LAKERFAN wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ironic part is fans across the country begin to build a little hope for next year....even though deep down we all know that it is very likely 3...maybe 4 teams have a legit shot next season.

- Clemson
- Alabama
- Georgia

and maybe Ohio State (depending on how Fields performs)

Don't count out OSU's backup Tate Martell. He was the Gatorade offensive player of the year 2 years ago. He has been in the system for 2 years. The few glimpses he got this year he looked pretty good.

Ryan Day is cleaning house on the defensive side of the ball. DL coach Larry Johnson Sr is the only 1 coming back. Should be interesting

I hear you...but Fields was projected to be a possible generational talent out of high school....ranked higher than Lawrence by a few services including ESPN and the 247 Composite. Also, I could be wrong, but I struggle to believe he transfers to Ohio State without something leading him to believe he will be the starter.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ironic part is fans across the country begin to build a little hope for next year....even though deep down we all know that it is very likely 3...maybe 4 teams have a legit shot next season.

- Clemson
- Alabama
- Georgia

Who knows? Georgia could have easily won the SEC championship game against Bama and they were pounded by Texas in the Sugar Bowl. Texan themselves could win the Big 12 next year and make it to the playoffs. LSU looked good to finish the year. Auburn should be in the mix in the SEC....

I actually think right now Texas should be favored in the Big12, and will be a playoff contender....but there is still a large gap in the depth that the 3-5 Top Tier programs have and everyone else. LSU and Texas A&M are progressing on closing that gap...but it takes Top 5/Top8 type recruiting classes stacked on top of each other for several years to get there. USC should be closing the gap....Oregon is back in the high talent chase...it just takes time.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
This one was all about Alabama's inability to finish drives. I don't discount Clemson's defense, but Alabama seemed to start running out of ideas when they got to the 25 or so. In fact, the turning point of the game was when Clemson was leading 14-13 and stoned Alabama at the goal line. I think everyone thought that it would be 20-14 with Alabama on a roll. Instead, it was 16-14 with Clemson fired up.

And they committed a false start penalty on 2nd and Goal from the 1-yard-line on that drive. I thought that Alabama got sloppy starting late in the first half of their game against OU, and for whatever reason, it just continued. They were moving the ball on Clemson, basically at will other than the 2 turnovers, for the first half and then on the opening drive of the second half. But when they failed to score on that opening drive of the second half, and then when Clemson immediately scored to go up big, it was like it became crystal clear that not only was Alabama not finishing drives, but that its defense simply could not stop Clemson.

I think that many people figured that 'Bama would score on that first drive of the second half and that it would be a game. Instead, we got a stunning beatdown. The Tide got outplayed, and outcoached, too. (That fake FG call was an unconscionably bad decision, and I didn't like their play-calling in general. But the better team did win last night and I'm not suggesting otherwise.)
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Final AP & Coaches Poll Rankings

LINK
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject:

how Texas is 9th and Georgia is T-7 is beyond me. Texas throttled them. Should put Texas 8th Georgia 9th.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject:

That's still a four-loss team in the top ten. In poll logic, that's pretty high.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

Hearing Jalen Hurts name now appears in the transfer portal.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:

He has his undergraduate degree but I guess his NFL stock isn't that high. Guess its off to grad school and use that 1 year left of eligibility to try to get more interest from the NFL.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
adkindo wrote:

- Clemson
- Alabama
- Georgia

Who knows? Georgia could have easily won the SEC championship game against Bama and they were pounded by Texas in the Sugar Bowl. Texan themselves could win the Big 12 next year and make it to the playoffs. LSU looked good to finish the year. Auburn should be in the mix in the SEC....

I actually think right now Texas should be favored in the Big12, and will be a playoff contender....but there is still a large gap in the depth that the 3-5 Top Tier programs have and everyone else. LSU and Texas A&M are progressing on closing that gap...but it takes Top 5/Top8 type recruiting classes stacked on top of each other for several years to get there. USC should be closing the gap....Oregon is back in the high talent chase...it just takes time.

Texas is losing 9 starters on D
There best OL
Starting RB
And their best receiver.

---George Carlin
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
adkindo wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
adkindo wrote:

- Clemson
- Alabama
- Georgia

Texas is losing 9 starters on D
There best OL
Starting RB
And their best receiver.

true, but they have a roster full of elite recruits that should fill most of those voids. I think Freshman Keaontay Ingram was actually their best RB, and if they can return Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay, they will be set at the receiver position. Most importantly, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, West Virginia all say goodbye to prolific QB's....but Sam Ehlinger returns.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:

wish he would transfer to WVU....he is good enough to make us competitive next season in the Big12
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Huskers wrote:

wish he would transfer to WVU....he is good enough to make us competitive next season in the Big12

Hurts in a Chip Kelly attack? I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Also, I posted in the NFL thread, but Kyler Murray is expected to declare for the NFL Draft. Unless he tests terribly with how he throws (nothing he can do about his height), I am guessing he's better than 50/50 to be picked in the first round.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Huskers wrote:

Hurts in a Chip Kelly attack? I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Also, I posted in the NFL thread, but Kyler Murray is expected to declare for the NFL Draft. Unless he tests terribly with how he throws (nothing he can do about his height), I am guessing he's better than 50/50 to be picked in the first round.

So what you are saying is Hurts to Oklahoma to replace Murray. I can see it.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject:

^
I am not sure that Riley would see Hurts as an upgrade to what he might already have in-house at QB, but some of you could probably offer better comments on that subject than I can. I guess my thought there would be that Hurts is not exactly a prolific passing QB, and the last two OU QB's have certainly been that. That said, maybe Riley is open to a guy that might have more of an inclination to run it, I don't know.

ESPN is trying to drum up the thought that Kliff Kingsbury might consider drafting Kyler Murray with the #1 overall pick, and trade Rosen away. Apparently Kingsbury made comments in October that were effusive of Kyler, and he essentially said something like "I'd take him with the first pick of the draft if I could." I just can't imagine this happens, of course.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:

Anybody have thoughts on the Kyler Murray situation? Who's right, who's wrong?

The A's spent a high top 10 draft pick on Murray. They allowed him to play 1 yr of football then he'll report.

In the end, they'll probably lose a top 10 draft pick. It would have been better if they never signed him. They would have gotten a top 10 pick the following year.

I don't know who's right and who's wrong. I don't know if the A's allowed him to play football, or he let every team know before the draft that he was going to play 1 year of football no matter what.

Do players submit their names to the mlb draft or do they just get drafted? He was already in college at the time so I'm thinking he had to submit his name into the draft?

So who's wrong here? I really don't know. The A's gambled, let him play 1 yr of football and now they'll probably lose a top 10 pick because of it.

Even if he tries to play both sports, the A's are going to lose because they won't get his full commitment to baseball.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^I am not sure that Riley would see Hurts as an upgrade to what he might already have in-house at QB, but some of you could probably offer better comments on that subject than I can. I guess my thought there would be that Hurts is not exactly a prolific passing QB, and the last two OU QB's have certainly been that. That said, maybe Riley is open to a guy that might have more of an inclination to run it, I don't know.

I always thought Oklahoma was a solid option on the surface. Jalen is kind of a bigger B version of Kyler.....he can run a little, but not as well as Kyler....he can throw a little, but not as well as Kyler. I assumed he could run the offense.....rely more of the other playmakers....good enough to contend in Big12. Since then, I have learned that Oklahoma Sophomore QB Austin Kendall gave Kyler Murray everything he could handle in the QB battle last spring....and had the staff very confident they would be ok if Kyler left for MLB last year. Also hear they are very high on Freshman QB Tanner Mordecai...a 4 Star Dual Threat kid out of Texas. To top it off, they have 5 Star, #1 Pro Style QB recruit in the country, Spencer Rattler from Phoenix showing up in this upcoming Freshman class.

In short, I think Oklahoma probably feels better about what is on roster than one year of Hurts. FWIW, Vegas odds have Hurts joining Dana in Houston, which is his hometown. That does not make much sense to me unless they have doubts about D'Eriq King returning from his knee injury for his Senior season.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Anybody have thoughts on the Kyler Murray situation? Who's right, who's wrong?

The A's spent a high top 10 draft pick on Murray. They allowed him to play 1 yr of football then he'll report.

In the end, they'll probably lose a top 10 draft pick. It would have been better if they never signed him. They would have gotten a top 10 pick the following year.

I don't know who's right and who's wrong. I don't know if the A's allowed him to play football, or he let every team know before the draft that he was going to play 1 year of football no matter what.

Do players submit their names to the mlb draft or do they just get drafted? He was already in college at the time so I'm thinking he had to submit his name into the draft?

So who's wrong here? I really don't know. The A's gambled, let him play 1 yr of football and now they'll probably lose a top 10 pick because of it.

Even if he tries to play both sports, the A's are going to lose because they won't get his full commitment to baseball.

There are two ways to look at it. The A's had to know when they drafted him and agreed to the contract, there was significant risk involved. From another perspective, it is my understanding that Kyler agreed to a legal contract that he would commit 100% to the A's if they allowed him to complete one football season @ Oklahoma. At the end of the day, the guy has to do what is best for him and his future....even if that means not honoring an agreement with the A's.

What should he do? I have been a proponent of taking the MLB path. He was a Top 10 pick which suggests the organization is going to heavily invest in his path to the majors where he could make gobs of guaranteed money over a 15+ year career. Also, he has almost $5 million in the bank. I have came off that position if he can be a Top 10/Top 15 NFL draft pick. That will be worth much more than $5 Million, and he will be in the show....instead of risking 3-4 years riding buses in the minors and getting injured. It all depends on where he is drafted....and which sport he enjoys more.

Would I draft him to play QB? Probably not. He is listed at 5'11"....but I think he is more likely 5'9". On top of that, he does not have nearly the same build and frame as a Baker Mayfield.

If he does try to play football or both, the A's retain his rights. I would assume if he attempts to play both, that $4+ Million contract will be ripped up, and he will get significantly less from the A's.
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
C-BUS LAKERFAN wrote:
adkindo wrote:

- Clemson
- Alabama
- Georgia

Don't count out OSU's backup Tate Martell. He was the Gatorade offensive player of the year 2 years ago. He has been in the system for 2 years. The few glimpses he got this year he looked pretty good.

Ryan Day is cleaning house on the defensive side of the ball. DL coach Larry Johnson Sr is the only 1 coming back. Should be interesting

I hear you...but Fields was projected to be a possible generational talent out of high school....ranked higher than Lawrence by a few services including ESPN and the 247 Composite. Also, I could be wrong, but I struggle to believe he transfers to Ohio State without something leading him to believe he will be the starter.

So Martell put his name in the transfer portal. I sure as hell hope Fields is allowed to play. OSU is currently down to 1 scholarship QB.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
C-BUS LAKERFAN wrote:
adkindo wrote:

- Clemson
- Alabama
- Georgia

Quote:
Jeremy Birmingham Verified account
@Birm

Can confirm that Tate Martell is now in the NCAA transfer portal. He’ll begin to explore options outside of Ohio State — believe Miami and West Virginia are two schools that are worth watching.

1:42 PM - 10 Jan 2019
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
C-BUS LAKERFAN wrote:
adkindo wrote:

- Clemson
- Alabama
- Georgia

Quote:
Jeremy Birmingham Verified account
@Birm

Can confirm that Tate Martell is now in the NCAA transfer portal. He’ll begin to explore options outside of Ohio State — believe Miami and West Virginia are two schools that are worth watching.

1:42 PM - 10 Jan 2019

I can see him going to Oregon St. Wouldn't be surprised at all.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:

not sure I get the Oregon State connection....or why anyone would choose to transfer to a program that pays long term rent in the basement of the PAC12? I can make a pretty strong guess on who he is talking to by his Twitter activity...in the last 24 hours, he has followed Neal Brown (WVU), Manny Diaz (Miami) and Kenny Dillingham (Auburn OC). WVU and Auburn were in his final 5 or so before he chose Ohio State.....both need a QB, as does Auburn.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject:

^^^^also, there are some claims he is on track to graduate in 3 years this Spring semester....which would make him eligible immediately.

Quote:
The timing of a departure raises more questions. He is believed to be on track to graduate in May, which would enable him to go to another program and be eligible immediately. That’s the path that Joe Burrow took in transferring to LSU after competing with Haskins last spring.

LINK
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Huskers wrote:

not sure I get the Oregon State connection....or why anyone would choose to transfer to a program that pays long term rent in the basement of the PAC12? I can make a pretty strong guess on who he is talking to by his Twitter activity...in the last 24 hours, he has followed Neal Brown (WVU), Manny Diaz (Miami) and Kenny Dillingham (Auburn OC). WVU and Auburn were in his final 5 or so before he chose Ohio State.....both need a QB, as does Auburn.

Going to Oregon St is something I think, mostly in jest. He was a strong lean to Nebraska before committing to Ohio St. He wanted to be a package deal with Tyjon Lindsey, who did end up coming to Nebraska. Riley got fired, went to Oregon St. Tyjon (and a few others) have left Nebraska and transferred to Oregon St. Because of his ties to the staff and Tyjon is why I said that. I agree he has the talent to go to a much better program.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

and the portal gets larger by the day....

Quote:
Eric Bailey Verified account
@EricBaileyTW

BREAKING: Oklahoma backup quarterback Austin Kendall is entering the transfer portal, exploring options to leave the #Sooners.

1:50 PM - 11 Jan 2019
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
and the portal gets larger by the day....

Quote:
Eric Bailey Verified account
@EricBaileyTW

BREAKING: Oklahoma backup quarterback Austin Kendall is entering the transfer portal, exploring options to leave the #Sooners.

1:50 PM - 11 Jan 2019

That's surprising. Not sure who else Oklahoma has, but I would think he would be the front runner to start next season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 39 of 40
Jump to: