Of the young core, who has the most leadership potential?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who has the most leadership potential?
Brandon Ingram
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Lonzo Ball
26%
 26%  [ 12 ]
Kyle Kuzma
51%
 51%  [ 23 ]
Josh Hart
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 45

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Of the young core, who has the most leadership potential?

splashmtn and I had an interesting discussion in a different thread about which of our young core players have the most potential as a leader?

I think we need to allow for the possibility that none of them will ever emerge as a leader of a team. That said, that doesn't mean we can't look at where they are now and discuss who has the most potential to do just that.

So who do you pick? And why? What qualities does the player you pick have, that suggest to you they have more leadership potential than the ones you didn't pick?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

None of them are prototypical leaders... but Lonzo or Ingram play less selfishly than Kuzma or Hart.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
None of them are prototypical leaders... but Lonzo or Ingram play less selfishly than Kuzma or Hart.

Sure, but that wasn't the question. The question was leadership potential.

Derek Fisher also played less selfishly than Kobe, but, Kobe was clearly the bigger leader (even if Fish also was a leader).
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Derek Fisher also played less selfishly than Kobe, but, Kobe was clearly the bigger leader (even if Fish also was a leader).

Kobe was a great player, but not a great leader... that's why he needed Phil to win.

Kuzma reminds me of a less abrasive Kobe
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject:

I’m not sure any will be leaders.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

Lonzo and BI... quiet

Kuzma... possibly, stories of him going thru films with Rondo, has seen him yell from bench and talk during defensive possessions

Hart... maybe, has seen him talk during defensive possessions

Zubac... no
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Kobe was a great player, but not a great leader... that's why he needed Phil to win.

Don't think we're going to agree there. But I'll play. Give me ... say 3 of the best NBA leaders that you can think of. Just curious to see what the common threads are.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Don't think we're going to agree there. But I'll play. Give me ... say 3 of the best NBA leaders that you can think of. Just curious to see what the common threads are.

Magic... True Riley emerged into a great coach... but he was a broadcaster that replaced someone kicked out by Magic when Magic was still a kid.

Russell... Auerbach was a great basketball mind... but Russell willed his teams to victory with his incredible defense and unselfish leadership

I'm thinking quickly but Isiah comes into mind as well.

There's three thinking for only a few seconds.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Pretty much.

We will hopefully have 2 all NBA level players, with LBJ, so not sure the young core will be called upon for leadership.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm not either. But I'm curious who you guys think has the most potential. For instance, I might not think Zubac or Kuzma will become leaders, but, I think it's safe to say that among those two, Kuzma has the better chance, no?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm not either. But I'm curious who you guys think has the most potential. For instance, I might not think Zubac or Kuzma will become leaders, but, I think it's safe to say that among those two, Kuzma has the better chance, no?

It's just that Kuz actually opens his mouth and has a great personality and story. His marketing team is doing a heck of a job.

Compare it to BI, who also plays for the same Lakers. He doesn't even crack the all-star top popular vote getters b/c he doesn't seem to have a good marketing angle, which is sadly what a lot of these guys are in to now.

But not sure if that makes Kuz a "leader." We just don't have any boisterous guys who will claim that mantle.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

None at the moment
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

It's Lonzo who has the best potential to lead. He leads already but he's inconsistent night to night.

Kuzma is nearly the antithesis of a team leader; he's a scorer both essentially and primarily, and he's a good one. That's not leadership; that's production, but it's a very valued contribution on its own just the same. Doing more than scoring is required of leaders. Tracy McGrady and George Gervin were similar famous examples of the same deal, guys would win you a few games the same way, but they too were not really leaders in any sense outside of making a timely shot (Horry) or carrying a scoring load (Worthy, Wilkes.)
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Of the young core, who has the most leadership potential?

ringfinger wrote:
splashmtn and I had an interesting discussion in a different thread about which of our young core players have the most potential as a leader?

I think we need to allow for the possibility that none of them will ever emerge as a leader of a team. That said, that doesn't mean we can't look at where they are now and discuss who has the most potential to do just that.

So who do you pick? And why? What qualities does the player you pick have, that suggest to you they have more leadership potential than the ones you didn't pick?

I'm not sure that any of them has any notable leadership qualities. Of the four, I think Lonzo has the greatest potential to be perceived as a leader simply because he is a point guard.

Guys like Kuzma, whose calling card is scoring, are rarely thought of as leaders unless they become a star, and I don't see him becoming a star.

Basically, fans seem to think leaders have to be (1) superstars and, less often, (2) vocal guards on winning teams.

Last edited by activeverb on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
It's Lonzo who has the best potential to lead. He leads already but he's inconsistent night to night.

Kuzma is nearly the antithesis of a team leader; he's a scorer both essentially and primarily, and he's a good one. That's not leadership; that's production, but it's a very valued contribution on its own just the same. Doing more than scoring is required of leaders. Tracy McGrady and George Gervin were similar famous examples of the same deal, guys would win you a few games the same way, but they too were not really leaders in any sense outside of making a timely shot (Horry) or carrying a scoring load (Worthy, Wilkes.)

I don't know about Lonzo, man. He shows no emotion whatsoever, his disposition is that of a flatline and doesn't seem to talk at all. Sure, one can lead by example, but sooner or later you'll have to show emotion, yell, scream and push.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

Predictable answer from you ..
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
70sdude wrote:

I don't know about Lonzo, man. He shows no emotion whatsoever, his disposition is that of a flatline and doesn't seem to talk at all. Sure, one can lead by example, but sooner or later you'll have to show emotion, yell, scream and push.

I understand if it's the outward emotion one looks for. I just remember how he led at UCLA instantly: when he joined the team, when he stepped on court, and the extent to which the players fed off of him. Ultra-cool exterior, win or lose. He's not Magic Johnson smiles-and-high-fives. It's the rarest commodity, leadership. He knows how to play, but at this NBA level of commonalities of athleticism, size and quickness, smarts may not be enough to carry the day to excellence.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Yet amazingly still less predictable than yours
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject:

There should be a "none of the above" option.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
LKA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Please explain how Ingram plays less selfish than Kuzma. Is it because he dropped 41 last night and BI didn’t?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject:

By vocal leadership, probably Hart. So many ways you can take that term.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
LKA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Please explain how Ingram plays less selfish than Kuzma. Is it because he dropped 41 last night and BI didn’t?

Kuzma is an alpha scorer.

Ingram is a two way jack of all trades like Odom as some have said.

Ingram passes more to Kuzma than vice versa from my observations watching every single game.

If Ingram's trying to score, it's because no one's creating or hitting shots.

Kuzma... better scorer.

Long term... Ingram better floor general/leader.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

The best potential to lead? Lonzo

Best potential as a glue guy? Hart
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

Kuzma is the alpha. Not sure if that makes him the leader, but BI and Zo clearly defer to him. Kuz is also the one who's closest to LeBron and Rondo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: