We had three number two picks in three straight drafts.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:
there's no way we're offering DLO a contract

There's no way he's meeting with the Lakers either.

It's over.

Would have loved to have him on this team but...it's over.

I feel the same way. I’d like to add we will regret Ball and Ingram too if we trade them for anyone other than AD.

Not if we had traded one for Paul George, we would be a contender with him.

I don't trust PG13 staying on the Lakers even if he was traded.

He was a FREE agent, free to make his choice and he picked OKC.

He wasn’t a free agent when we could have traded for him but feel free to change the discussion. Again. He stayed in OKC because he felt they could win (and they are). Funny that I seem more confident in this FO than you seem to be, I think we could contend with him.

Nah, you're changing the discussion as you ASSUME the trade with PG13 was available. As we've seen (most notably with Sarver), teams aren't exactly bending over backwards to help the Lakers.

And even if PG13 was somehow traded to the very team he demanded to be traded to (and reports were that the Pacers didn't want to trade him to his favored destination), based on PG13's waffling personality, how can you say with 100% certainty that he stays here?

I wanted PG13, but it wasn't a foolish decision not to empty the cupboard for a free agent to be, especially when it was rumored that his camp told the Lakers not to empty the young talent out for him.

Turns out he's a very peculiar guy.

Someone played us when PG was in Indiana. Both George and Mintz are cut from the same cloth. Telling the Lakers to not trade for him, and then blaming the Lakers for not trading for him. Maybe PG told Callie Rivers he wouldn’t get a stripper pregnant then cheated on her and got a stripper pregnant. Who knows?

I wasn’t fond of PG and WB flexing over our G-League squad either. But yes VFL, PG13 would be another good trade. But that trade is no longer there.

exactly, came here to post this. hes mad we didnt trade for him, so hed end up in the same situation he wanted out off from Indiana. what a fool

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

Someone played us when PG was in Indiana. Both George and Mintz are cut from the same cloth. Telling the Lakers to not trade for him, and then blaming the Lakers for not trading for him.

Who told the Lakers not to trade for PG? This is the first time I've ever heard it suggested that PG told the Lakers not to trade for him. From PG's comments, he clearly expected the Lakers to try to trade for him.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Someone played us when PG was in Indiana. Both George and Mintz are cut from the same cloth. Telling the Lakers to not trade for him, and then blaming the Lakers for not trading for him.

Who told the Lakers not to trade for PG? This is the first time I've ever heard it suggested that PG told the Lakers not to trade for him. From PG's comments, he clearly expected the Lakers to try to trade for him.

This PG13 is an idiot, end of story. Ultimately, he gets to join a team that is intact, a better supporting cast than if they had traded for him. But he's so spiteful and prideful that this doesn't matter? He rather the Lakers traded for him, and have a weaker roster? He rather feed his ego?

I've said this before, the only reason I can think of why PG13 lamented the Lakers should have traded for him is because he STILL wants to be a Laker, but he can't stomach being the bad guy. He couldn't dump Westbrick and OKC. Because all you have to say is, "I'm a Thunder. I love being here. That's my focus." That is if you truly love being there. But saying things like "the Lakers should have traded for me" tells me he still yearns for home. Weak sauce.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

This PG13 is an idiot, end of story. Ultimately, he gets to join a team that is intact, a better supporting cast than if they had traded for him. But he's so spiteful and prideful that this doesn't matter?

Or maybe he was looking at playing with Lonzo and Ingram (mind you, this was before LeBron) vs playing with Westbrook and decided that OKC wasn't so bad.

Runway8 wrote:

He rather the Lakers traded for him, and have a weaker roster? He rather feed his ego?

Really? Would we have a weaker roster if we subtracted Ingram and added PG13?
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
VujacicForThree wrote:
Stop it, he is just as much of a point guard, as Russell WestBrook is. Just because he isn't a strictly pass first guard doesn't make him not a point guard.

Russell Westbrook career avg assists/game - 8.2

D'Angelo Russell career avg assists/game - 4.6

What was that again?

Westbrook plays more minutes. DLO would average 7.7 according to Per 36 stat, so your argument is weak.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

This PG13 is an idiot, end of story. Ultimately, he gets to join a team that is intact, a better supporting cast than if they had traded for him. But he's so spiteful and prideful that this doesn't matter?

Or maybe he was looking at playing with Lonzo and Ingram (mind you, this was before LeBron) vs playing with Westbrook and decided that OKC wasn't so bad.

Runway8 wrote:

He rather the Lakers traded for him, and have a weaker roster? He rather feed his ego?

Really? Would we have a weaker roster if we subtracted Ingram and added PG13?

This makes no sense. Lonzo wasn't with the Lakers at the time PG wanted a trade to the Lakers. PG's 1st season with the OKC is Lonzo's rookie year.

Secondly, how do you know what it would have taken to get a deal done? I doubt BI was the only thing needed. We were the Lakers, Magic went on tv with wink wink. They wanted to gut us.

Thirdly, this would have set off an entirely different reality path. It's not a simple subtraction of BI, and you still have Lonzo, Kuz, Hart, etc. Perhaps the Lakers throw in the Lou Williams pick they got from Houston to Indiana, which means no Hart. I also remember fearing the Lakers throw in their lotto pick, which ended up being #2 (Lonzo). They probably still dump Russell to New Jersey, but perhaps they rethink Kuzma since they already have PG13.

It's pretty stupid of PG13 to go back and lament on what the Lakers should have done. He was a free agent, and the roster was laid out in front of him. A stronger roster than the one that would have been gutted to get him. BTW, in your last sentence above, I bolded the word WE. Because you're looking at it from a fan's perspective. Yes, our roster probably would still be better because PG is better than BI. But it still depends on what Indy wanted, BI, #2, etc. But from PG13's pov, how could it have been better for him when pieces were lost to get him? He comes for free, means we would still have Ingram/Lonzo, etc. to trade to get him even more help. Not rocket science.

Last edited by Runway8 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

PG knew Lebron was going to the Lakers. He probably knew it all season. Lebron’s shade about not everyone wants to play for a championship during the playoffs was most likely when he heard PG13 wasn’t coming to the Lakers. Also the “leaked” pitch to PG was a last attempt by the front office to get him in the room. We’ll be okay without him.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject:

VujacicForThree wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
VujacicForThree wrote:
Stop it, he is just as much of a point guard, as Russell WestBrook is. Just because he isn't a strictly pass first guard doesn't make him not a point guard.

What was that again?

Westbrook plays more minutes. DLO would average 7.7 according to Per 36 stat, so your argument is weak.

Great, now that you bring that up, we're going to have to find out where the goal posts have been moved to. Too much work.
Yellow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
VujacicForThree wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
VujacicForThree wrote:

What was that again?

Great, now that you bring that up, we're going to have to find out where the goal posts have been moved to. Too much work.

Westbrook used to be more of a combo guard. Over the past four seasons, Westbrook has averaged 10.4 assists per game.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject:

Speaking of Westbrook, hate the guy, but man, last night double overtime game with 24 pts, 15 rebounds, and 24 assists.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/2/24/14732120/la-lakers-free-agency-rumors-told-not-to-trade-young-core-for-paul-george

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports added another nugget via his podcast Friday afternoon. He paints a picture in which the Los Angeles Lakers were basically told how to handle potential trade negotiations, though Woj did not specify from whom the Lakers got said advice.
Now, according to Wojnarowski, someone (and again we don’t know who) told the Lakers to hold back on any trade negotiations. Here’s how he put it:

“The direction I was told the Lakers got here in the last couple days was: 'Hey don't gut your team to go get Paul George'. Magic Johnson did lob a call to Larry Bird. But if you're the Lakers and you don't have a tremendous amount of assets -- they have some young players that they hope will develop. They're going to sit back and wait to sign him as a free agent. They'll have cap space in 2018, because if they were to try to trade for him, well, they were going to have to give up the core of their team and then Paul George, he's going to have no one to play with.”

Again, we have no way of knowing from whom this advice was given, so here are a few scenarios:

If it is from George’s camp, they’re telling the Lakers he is looking to come in 2018 via free agency and as such, would like help (or assets the Lakers could use to get him some) when he gets here.

It could also be marching orders passed down from Magic, himself. He has sounded committed to the long-term rebuild since his arrival and as such, wants to see this through.

Lastly, this could be general advice as seen internally by the Pacers as means not to make a rush to a hasty decision.

I'd guess it came from Mintz who was trying to sabotage PG to LAL the whole way through.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject:

What happens if PG13 got traded for 2-3 of our young assets, then decided, "nah" and bolted?

That's probably why we didn't do it, even if a trade was available (which I don't think b/c look at how the Pacers behaved in filing a tampering charge AFTER the trade to OKC).
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/2/24/14732120/la-lakers-free-agency-rumors-told-not-to-trade-young-core-for-paul-george

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports added another nugget via his podcast Friday afternoon. He paints a picture in which the Los Angeles Lakers were basically told how to handle potential trade negotiations, though Woj did not specify from whom the Lakers got said advice.
Now, according to Wojnarowski, someone (and again we don’t know who) told the Lakers to hold back on any trade negotiations. Here’s how he put it:

“The direction I was told the Lakers got here in the last couple days was: 'Hey don't gut your team to go get Paul George'. Magic Johnson did lob a call to Larry Bird. But if you're the Lakers and you don't have a tremendous amount of assets -- they have some young players that they hope will develop. They're going to sit back and wait to sign him as a free agent. They'll have cap space in 2018, because if they were to try to trade for him, well, they were going to have to give up the core of their team and then Paul George, he's going to have no one to play with.”

Again, we have no way of knowing from whom this advice was given, so here are a few scenarios:

If it is from George’s camp, they’re telling the Lakers he is looking to come in 2018 via free agency and as such, would like help (or assets the Lakers could use to get him some) when he gets here.

It could also be marching orders passed down from Magic, himself. He has sounded committed to the long-term rebuild since his arrival and as such, wants to see this through.

Lastly, this could be general advice as seen internally by the Pacers as means not to make a rush to a hasty decision.

I'd guess it came from Mintz who was trying to sabotage PG to LAL the whole way through.

Oh,who knows? It could have just as easily been someone unrelated to George who advised Magic not to trade assets for a guy who might leave in free agency. Woj's post provides no details; so it's all just random guesses.

OKC took a gamble, trading for George with no guarantee he'd resign with them. If we took the gamble, he might well be here right now, but you never know. I can't really say that being here right now would be a better situation for him than being in OKC.

Some Laker fans are like the guy who is angry at the girl who wouldn't go with him to the prom, but George didn't do anything wrong.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Chandler #2
Beasley #2
DLo #2
BI #2
Lonzo #2
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
governator wrote:

Chandler #2
Beasley #2
DLo #2
BI #2
Lonzo #2

I've thought about that. I'm not sure if any other team has ever had four #2 picks on the roster at the same time.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Quote:

Oh,who knows? It could have just as easily been someone unrelated to George who advised Magic not to trade assets for a guy who might leave in free agency. Woj's post provides no details; so it's all just random guesses.

OKC took a gamble, trading for George with no guarantee he'd resign with them. If we took the gamble, he might well be here right now, but you never know. I can't really say that being here right now would be a better situation for him than being in OKC.

Some Laker fans are like the guy who is angry at the girl who wouldn't go with him to the prom, but George didn't do anything wrong.

If accuracy counts for anything, your analogy fails to include the ever so important detail that said girl told the guy and the whole school that she was going to go to the prom with him. But yes, let's just keep pretending that THIS didn't happen:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-paul-george-tells-pacers-plans-leave-franchise-prefers-joining-lakers-191520531.html
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Wait until summer 2019.

The Lakers mystery prom girl will be revealed. PG13 was the prom girl until the new girl showed up to school, then it became a game of who could dump who first.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Quote:

If accuracy counts for anything, your analogy fails to include the ever so important detail that said girl told the guy and the whole school that she was going to go to the prom with him. But yes, let's just keep pretending that THIS didn't happen:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-paul-george-tells-pacers-plans-leave-franchise-prefers-joining-lakers-191520531.html

Never a good situation when what you thought was your prom date ghosts you when the prom arrives.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Quote:

I think this would be a better analogy. The girl, breaking up with her boyfriend, tells him that she would prefer to go to the prom a year from now with Jason. But Jason doesnt show enough interest after the breakup and she dates another guy, who she ends up going to the prom with
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject:

I always imagined DLO coming back here, but there is essentially no way he will regardless of the what happen before....unless he gets traded here....
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

too bad mitch traded those picks and we had to aim for top 3 picks. I feel like if we had picks in 4-7 range we would have been better off.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Back on topic of the thread, I don't hate the Russell pick or Ingram pick. More and more not loving the Ball pick. The 2015 draft has proven to be a very weak draft. Porzingis was really the only better option and Knicks fans booed the pick at the time. Okafor WASN'T the right choice after all and loooking down the draft board not much there. Devin Booker and Myles Turner are probably the other options.

The 2016 draft wasn't much better Ingram certainly makes sense at #2 not much behind him. Jamal Murray perhaps but nothing jumps out that would say pick them higher.

It's the 2017 draft that maybe the real problem. Ball has shown signs of being very good and at times just awful. Of course better than #1 Markelle Fultz so far. But Tatum, De'Aaron Fox and Donovan Mitchell are all proving to be better picks. Lakers did well later in the draft with Kuzma and Hart, but if Lonzo doesn't pan out, Laker fans will still wonder about Russell or even could the Lakers have drafted someone like Fox instead.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Kobesystem wrote:
I always imagined DLO coming back here, but there is essentially no way he will regardless of the what happen before....unless he gets traded here....

BI and Zubac for DLO and Joe Harris
Lazlow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

I've said this before, the only reason I can think of why PG13 lamented the Lakers should have traded for him is because he STILL wants to be a Laker, but he can't stomach being the bad guy. He couldn't dump Westbrick and OKC. Because all you have to say is, "I'm a Thunder. I love being here. That's my focus." That is if you truly love being there. But saying things like "the Lakers should have traded for me" tells me he still yearns for home. Weak sauce.

That's what I've always thought. Paul George the sentimental type to get caught up in feelings. He probably told himself that there is "unfinished buisness" in OKC and he didn't want to go out with Playoff P choking for them.

But in reality he didn't want to leave a team that gave up pieces to get him. Chuckbrook also rode his dick all summer long asking him to workout, probably texted him everday too. He knows that if he left that Westbrook would spend the last of his prime fighting just to get in the playoffs. Westbrook + Adams + Roberson is like 75% of their cap right there. OKC was done if they couldn't use PG's bird rights to go over the cap and sign him.

Pretty stupid in the end. He's probably going to be the reason why Lebron doesn't win another title. And why he wasted his peak playing with a guy that has proven you can't win with.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Lazlow wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Threatt_Level wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

That's what I've always thought. Paul George the sentimental type to get caught up in feelings. He probably told himself that there is "unfinished buisness" in OKC and he didn't want to go out with Playoff P choking for them.

I think it's more basic. I think he stayed in OKC because he after playing there a year he found he liked it and thought they had as good a chance to win as the Lakers.

I think the whole "the Lakers should have traded for me" is nothing more than lame PR for Lakers fans, ie, "Don't blame me for not being a Laker; the Lakers blew their shot."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: