OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1620, 1621, 1622 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
What would you guys say that made Ingram.. if he ended up becoming an elite defender with a solid offensive game overall?

I don't think he can be a superstar unless he picks up 15 to 20 pounds and adds some strength. But allstar status a few years from now seems within reach if he doesn't.

My honest projection is that kind of player. Someone who can hopefully have all NBA defense potential, and is an 18-22ppg level scorer who can also dime 4.5-5apg and 6-8 rpg.

That is a very good player even if that is not a superstar.

I would LOVE for Ingram to become prime Andrei Kirilenko.

Good luck with that. AK47 averaged like 2 stls and 3 blks in his prime. He was a BEAST.

Just a defensive playmaking knack that Ingram doesn’t have. Bumping down/helping and getting blocks ; passing lanes , etc. Someone like Jonathan Isaac actually has that. Maybe he can develop it but it seems intrinsic — imagine if u put Zo in Ingram’s body.....

BI also has to get back to actually trying to play fast/explosive, this was his mentality his rookie year. We were really optimistic about his athleticism then

Yeah. Without the defensive stats, AK was pretty ordinary, even in his prime. Like 15-6-3 or something.

Oh man. Zo with Ingrams length? That is AK47 like =)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

Defensively, BI is more like a Tayshaun Prince style defender. Not a major shot blocker but someone who would use insane length to contest and be a nuisance. Tay wasn't explosive athletically speaking but was a menace on defense.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
What would you guys say that made Ingram.. if he ended up becoming an elite defender with a solid offensive game overall?

I don't think he can be a superstar unless he picks up 15 to 20 pounds and adds some strength. But allstar status a few years from now seems within reach if he doesn't.

My honest projection is that kind of player. Someone who can hopefully have all NBA defense potential, and is an 18-22ppg level scorer who can also dime 4.5-5apg and 6-8 rpg.

Good luck with that. AK47 averaged like 2 stls and 3 blks in his prime. He was a BEAST.

Just a defensive playmaking knack that Ingram doesn’t have. Bumping down/helping and getting blocks ; passing lanes , etc. Someone like Jonathan Isaac actually has that. Maybe he can develop it but it seems intrinsic — imagine if u put Zo in Ingram’s body.....

BI also has to get back to actually trying to play fast/explosive, this was his mentality his rookie year. We were really optimistic about his athleticism then

Not sure what happened to that guy. I was optimistic about his explosiveness around the rim then.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Not sure what happened to that guy. I was optimistic about his explosiveness around the rim then.

Right?
I think a large part of it comes down to mentality & energy conservation.
While functionally, he stopped having good bend /athletic stance, and that is where athleticism springs from - this happens to bigmen over the course of their career cuz the long legs ; joints hurt and they stop being able to bend, and therefor move/jump out of that athletic stance.
Not having good bend is just more natural for his super long legs/poor strength.

Rookie year he played with a nervous energy , like Kuzma - the mindset of I’m gunna play as fast and athletic as possible. Without that mindset he moves like a normal 6’11 guy, cuz that’s how long his limbs are

I guess there’s a chance he unlocks that old explosiveness with more strength? Would really help
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Defensively, BI is more like a Tayshaun Prince style defender. Not a major shot blocker but someone who would use insane length to contest and be a nuisance. Tay wasn't explosive athletically speaking but was a menace on defense.

I'm trying to remember Tayshaun's game, but, to me, it feels like Prince was better at using his length to incrementally complement his good defense whereas, right now at least, it feels like Ingram uses his length to make up for so-so defense. If that makes any sense.

In other words, if Ingram wasn't so long, I don't think he'd make for a very good defender. But if Prince weren't so long, he'd be much less effective, but still alright.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm trying to remember Tayshaun's game, but, to me, it feels like Prince was better at using his length to incrementally complement his good defense whereas, right now at least, it feels like Ingram uses his length to make up for so-so defense. If that makes any sense.

But Tay came into the league after 4 years of college (and he was still a twig). I think BI is getting better at it. His main problem is getting beat often at the point of attack b/c of his stance, high hips/center of gravity. Not sure how to address that though.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

In other words, if Ingram wasn't so long, I don't think he'd make for a very good defender. But if Prince weren't so long, he'd be much less effective, but still alright.

Yup, accurate. The length makes up for the quickness deficits
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I don't see him ever becoming a 20 point scorer on the lakers, at least not with the way the roster looks now or projects to become

Depends on if he still maintains his 13 attempts per game. If he gets the opportunity I think he can be a reliable 20ppg player if he can improve his efficiency.

I see him leaving 5 pts on the court every night. Finish on a couple of those drives that roll of the rim or where he is bumped (fouled?) off balance and make 1 more FT.

Maybe I’m overly optimistic but he still has so much room to develop.

Funny how Butler and Leonard did not become that efficient and average close to 20 pts until their 4th or 5th years yet Ingram can’t in just his 3rd year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

KL got that through improving his shooting. Like tremendously improving his shooting.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
I don't see him ever becoming a 20 point scorer on the lakers, at least not with the way the roster looks now or projects to become

Depends on if he still maintains his 13 attempts per game. If he gets the opportunity I think he can be a reliable 20ppg player if he can improve his efficiency.

I see him leaving 5 pts on the court every night. Finish on a couple of those drives that roll of the rim or where he is bumped (fouled?) off balance and make 1 more FT.

Maybe I’m overly optimistic but he still has so much room to develop.

Funny how Butler and Leonard did not become that efficient and average close to 20 pts until their 4th or 5th years yet Ingram can’t in just his 3rd year.

Yes, but the point about BI not doing it on the Lakers, is because we're in position to acquire a 2nd star.

Unless BI plays well enough to relegate that 2nd star to the third wheel, 20 pts isn't happening in the purple and gold most likely. Perhaps if the second star isn't a scoring type of star it's possible but even then, I see Kuz being positioned above Ingam from a scoring perspective
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject:

Realistically, we're planning on stashing BI for 2 to 3 years hoping he can step into the #1/#2 roll once the LeBron era winds down. If things go to plan, he'll be the #3b option to have the ball in his hands until then.

1) Bron
2) Max FA
3a) Lead Guard
3b) BI
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Realistically, we're planning on stashing BI for 2 to 3 years hoping he can step into the #1/#2 roll once the LeBron era winds down. If things go to plan, he'll be the #3b option to have the ball in his hands until then.

1) Bron
2) Max FA
3a) Lead Guard
3b) BI

Kuz? BI may have to go further down the offensive ladder, but may spearhead our defense (with Lonzo).
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

1) Bron
2) Max FA
3a) Lead Guard
3b) BI

Kuz? BI may have to go further down the offensive ladder, but may spearhead our defense (with Lonzo).

He said 3b to have the ball in his hands. Liz isn’t a guy you give the ball to and ask him to create for himself or others. He’s a finisher. I think that’s what he was eluding to.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

1) Bron
2) Max FA
3a) Lead Guard
3b) BI

He said 3b to have the ball in his hands. Liz isn’t a guy you give the ball to and ask him to create for himself or others. He’s a finisher. I think that’s what he was eluding to.

Liz?
But the point is someone is going to feel like they're not getting enough shots.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

1) Bron
2) Max FA
3a) Lead Guard
3b) BI

Yea that’s what I thought too
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

1) Bron
2) Max FA
3a) Lead Guard
3b) BI

I was sort of splitting up creating and scoring. Scoring wise, Kuz will be near the top. Initiating/Creating wise, Kuz is much better off being a threat one pass away.

Although, the Zubac/Kuz P&R is looking pretty good so he might climb the "create" ladder also.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

tayshaun was a much better 1:1 defender. i remember he caused kobe problems whenever they matched up. he also was a deadeye 3pt shooter from the corners and became detroit's X factor during their championship run. ingram has a long ways to go to get there.

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:
At (102.4) Brandon Ingram has the 9th best defensive rating in the league for guys playing +30 min per game. Thats tied with guys like Draymond Green & Rudy Gobert.

Reason why BI can fit the system. He needs to learn not to iso to much cause he is not explosive, but in the move he is very potent.

I think BI is our Draymond can do all the things he can do.

Kuz is more like Klay
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:
At (102.4) Brandon Ingram has the 9th best defensive rating in the league for guys playing +30 min per game. Thats tied with guys like Draymond Green & Rudy Gobert.

Reason why BI can fit the system. He needs to learn not to iso to much cause he is not explosive, but in the move he is very potent.

Kuz is more like Klay

I think Lonzo is our "Dray." BI would hopefully be an "Iggy" player who plays more minutes.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Kuz is more like Klay

I think Lonzo is our "Dray." BI would hopefully be an "Iggy" player who plays more minutes.

Lonzo is our Draymond? BI is Iggy? Those are some weird comparisons.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Kuz is more like Klay

Dray = multipositional defender who doesn't take shots and isn't a scoring threat.

Iggy = multipositional defender who will be a primary lockdown guy on wing defenders.

I'm not taking it 100% literal, just roles.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Kuz is more like Klay

Its spot on imo
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Kuz is more like Klay

Its spot on imo

Honestly, I know with #2 picks we expect all-NBA stars.

But if we got 2 max FAs (LBJ being one), and won the championship(s) with Lonzo playing Dray's role and BI being our Iggy (more minutes), are they considered disappointments? I would say not.

At some point the #2 pick thing goes away a bit (though it will always remain...remember Beez is a former #2 pick!!!).
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Kuz is more like Klay

Its spot on imo

Funny, thats the way i see it too.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

Well, Outspoken and I have a funny relationship. So...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1620, 1621, 1622 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 1621 of 1885
Jump to: