Bird Box (Warning:Potential spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you think Bird Box was a good movie?
Yes
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
No
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Now that I'm thinking of it. There were other problems too.
The cop and Machine Gun Kelly. They jack the car and you never see them again. Maybe they'll get a spinoff down the road.
Also, the rules seemed a little shallow and inconsistent. Crazy people don't kill themselves. Why? Ummmm ... cause they're crazy.
And some crazy people can hide their crazy eyes and crazy behavior. Because... the plot needs them to.

But all things considered. I enjoyed the movie up till the climax.

It's one of those shows that's a house of cards. Once you pull on that weak card, the whole thing collapses.

The bolded part didn't really bump for me because they were clearly impulsive fools, so what happened to them when they stole the car was predictable - they did something else foolish and perished. Also, from a storytelling standpoint, it's all about Mallory's story, so you really aren't ever going to see something she doesn't experience or hear about.

Where did Mallory get food from for the five years in the house? How come nobody tried to break in before the five years?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:53 am    Post subject:

I just watched it, I didn't think it was a good movie. A good movie ties together the central worldbuilding conceit (demons that make you go crazy unless you're already crazy, as well corollaries to that like blind people being immune) with the overarching point it's making (ostensibly about being able to connect with people/ parenthood more broadly -- they spelled that out at the outset).

So why birds? There's no allegory here. This just felt like they threw a bunch of plot elements, and tossed in that theme about connecting with people/ the kids to give Sandra Bullock a "character arc."
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject:

It was a piece of (bleep).

A Rorschach test of storytelling. Could wax on poetically even more but I'm too old for this (bleep). Back to the Stormlight Archive.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I was absolutely riveted by BIRD BOX (Netflix). Don’t believe the lukewarm reviews, which may in part have been caused by reviewers’ ambivalence to the streaming platform, as opposed to theatrical releases.

I guess Stephen King liked it
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject:

Enjoyed it. Wasn’t mind-blowing, but 2 solid hours of entertainment.

Still not sure though, how Sandra Bullock never “saw” it while in the car with her sister. That seems almost impossible but so does most of the film (i.e. driving to a store and back into a garage blind lol)
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject:

Also, I rarely watch movies now because I love the extended series format, but, I think this could have been much better as a 10-part series.

90-120 mins, IMO, is not long enough to really get into the details.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
It was a piece of (bleep).

A Rorschach test of storytelling. Could wax on poetically even more but I'm too old for this (bleep). Back to the Stormlight Archive.

Book 3? Such a slog, man, I don't know how you do it. First two were a breeze but I just can't do the third. Where are you at? Should I just plow through?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Still not sure though, how Sandra Bullock never “saw” it while in the car with her sister. That seems almost impossible but so does most of the film (i.e. driving to a store and back into a garage blind lol)

Some scenes in the movie inspired Darwinism. They call it the Bird Box challenge. People started driving blindfolded, walking around their homes blindfolded. I saw one idiot walking around his home blindfolded and bounced his blindfolded child of a wall. People were posting videos driving blindfolded. Netflix pleaded with people not to do the challenge.

Bird Box Challenges

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I give the movie a 7. The switch from then to now was interesting. I was disappointed with the monster visuals. I suppose they looked like the drawings by the Tom Hollander character.

When Malorie said one child would have to look at the rapids so she could navigate them and she would say which child, brought to mind the movie Shoot Out with Gregory Peck. A choice of which child would put a tea cup on their head so a villain could shoot it off.

One child his daughter the other the son a woman who gave him shelter from the rain. The woman was given the choice to choose she chose his daughter. I thought Malorie was going to choose the child that wasn't hers.

Could have done more with the ending. It was kinda whack.

All in all I don't think it will win any awards but it's worth a watch.

So was she just going to sacrifice one of the children knowingly for her own gain? How would that have even worked if the child would have immediately gone crazy and been unable to give directions? And she was able to navigate without even seeing anyway, so why not just do that in the first place?

She didn't do it. Added suspense. Did you wonder who she would chose, Boy or Girl?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Some scenes in the movie inspired Darwinism. They call it the Bird Box challenge. People started driving blindfolded, walking around their homes blindfolded. I saw one idiot walking around his home blindfolded and bounced his blindfolded child of a wall. People were posting videos driving blindfolded. Netflix pleaded with people not to do the challenge.

Bird Box Challenges

People are dumb.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Yeah at first I thought she had some kind of immunity because she was pregnant. But looking back now she should have definitely seen it in the car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Yeah at first I thought she had some kind of immunity because she was pregnant. But looking back now she should have definitely seen it in the car

It wasn't in the script.

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject:

>"Hey guys how could we possibly make 'The Happening' worse?"
>"Sir, we could remove the satisfaction of a gimmick reveal."
>"That's brilliant! But then why would anyone watch it?"
>"We're Netflix and this is 2019, sir."

xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Now that I'm thinking of it. There were other problems too.
The cop and Machine Gun Kelly. They jack the car and you never see them again. Maybe they'll get a spinoff down the road.
Also, the rules seemed a little shallow and inconsistent. Crazy people don't kill themselves. Why? Ummmm ... cause they're crazy.
And some crazy people can hide their crazy eyes and crazy behavior
. Because... the plot needs them to.

But all things considered. I enjoyed the movie up till the climax.

Yeah I had a problem with that too. Sure, the movie kept me on my feet and I was entertained from start to finish but the movie is just dumb.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Was it a good movie? Heck no, was it entertaining? yup
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I give the movie a 7. The switch from then to now was interesting. I was disappointed with the monster visuals. I suppose they looked like the drawings by the Tom Hollander character.

When Malorie said one child would have to look at the rapids so she could navigate them and she would say which child, brought to mind the movie Shoot Out with Gregory Peck. A choice of which child would put a tea cup on their head so a villain could shoot it off.

One child his daughter the other the son a woman who gave him shelter from the rain. The woman was given the choice to choose she chose his daughter. I thought Malorie was going to choose the child that wasn't hers.

So was she just going to sacrifice one of the children knowingly for her own gain? How would that have even worked if the child would have immediately gone crazy and been unable to give directions? And she was able to navigate without even seeing anyway, so why not just do that in the first place?

She didn't do it. Added suspense. Did you wonder who she would chose, Boy or Girl?

Right, but why would she even consider doing it when it obviously would have both failed and resulted in the kid killing himself or herself?

Wouldn't she have picked the child that wasn't hers?

xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Right, but why would she even consider doing it when it obviously would have both failed and resulted in the kid killing himself or herself?

It was to add drama to the movie, nothing more.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It was to add drama to the movie, nothing more.

I was hoping she would pick one just because that would have been really dramatic and unexpected.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject:

I finally got around to watching this tonight. I was entertained and in suspense, and I suppose I'd give it a solid B. As for where the food came from over those 5 years, remember that when they went to the store, it was mentioned that they probably had years' worth of food, so that probably covered a good portion of it, especially since, you know, everyone else except for Malorie and Tom (and the kids) died. The rest, I assume, they had to scavenge for, which is exactly how Tom ended up dying.

There are movies that have won Best Picture that are boring as hell, and I would take the experience of watching this movie over those. I do agree that A Quiet Place was better, for sure.

EDIT: Oops, apparently the food was still in the SUV when the two fools took off with it. Never mind what I said lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: