Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
32 wrote:
Dodgers acquiring catcher Russell Martin from Toronto to pair with Austin Barnes, according to a baseball source.

That should tell us who they are NOT going to get, which is just fine with me, considering the cost. If nothing else, this makes figuring out the lineup card a little easier.

Yeah, no way we're paying what the Marlins were asking.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject:

Would not be surprised to see Bryce Harper back in a Nationals uniform.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Lets hope Dodgers sign somebody it would be terrible if they just gave away long term Dodger players just for salary relief.

When you say long term, do you mean the players were here for a long term, or do you mean they were on long term contracts?

Was talking about long term Dodger players or players that have put many years of service as a Dodger. Looking at their free agency catches so far looks like they are offloading salaries and haven't signed very expensive contracts in return. Machado is gone, and I expect Bryce Harper to choose between the Phillies or Nationals.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
32 wrote:
Dodgers acquiring catcher Russell Martin from Toronto to pair with Austin Barnes, according to a baseball source.

That should tell us who they are NOT going to get, which is just fine with me, considering the cost. If nothing else, this makes figuring out the lineup card a little easier.

When I was shopping for a Dodgers jersey 10+ years ago, I had a really tough time deciding between getting a Russell Martin or Matt Kemp jersey. A few short years later, Martin was gone and Kemp was playing like an MVP. Definitely "regretted" my decision.

When Kemp came back last season, I "regretted" it even more. But now he's gone and Russell Martin is back in Dodger blue.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Now there is a name I’ve not heard in a long time. We had him in his prime, and I guess maybe he’ll have a chance to finish his career here.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

I don't get this trade. Martin was terrible last season and the Dodgers are on the hook for $2-4 million with the blue jays picking up the rest while trading away 2 meh prospects. Are they hoping for another Kemp resurgence? Or do they think one of the young catcher prospects will be ready as soon as this season after some early seasoning?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
32 wrote:

I don't get this trade. Martin was terrible last season and the Dodgers are on the hook for $2-4 million with the blue jays picking up the rest while trading away 2 meh prospects. Are they hoping for another Kemp resurgence? Or do they think one of the young catcher prospects will be ready as soon as this season after some early seasoning?

The Dodgers needed a placeholder until one of their four catching prospects are ready. It is not expected that any will tear up spring training and will likely need more reps, so until then, is will be Martin and Barnes. Sometimes you can't always get what you want.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers reached deals with Pedro Baez, Josh Fields, Yimi Garcia, Enrique Hernandez, Joc Pederson, Corey Seager and Chris Taylor, avoiding arbitration.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject:

If the Dodgers traded away a useful RF in Puig and a useful starting pitcher in Alex Wood just to save money, yeah, I'm not going to be happy.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Realmuto and Harper please.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

Neither one is realistic at this point, much the same as AD to the Lakers. Lineup has regressed somewhat, least Friedman can do now is trade some of the farm for Kluber or Bauer to give the starting rotation a solid right hand vet option. But welcome back Russ, not sure if he or Barnes is better than the other.

Gone is Puig, Grandal, Kemp and Wood

In is Martin and Kelly
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Neither one is realistic at this point, much the same as AD to the Lakers. Lineup has regressed somewhat, least Friedman can do now is trade some of the farm for Kluber or Bauer to give the starting rotation a solid right hand vet option. But welcome back Russ, not sure if he or Barnes is better than the other.

In is Martin and Kelly

Maybe it's like losing Gonzo; we ship them out before their value completely falters. Kluber might still be a trade possibility and maybe Verdugo now gets a chance to be the newest Dodger rookie of the year.

C Martin/Barnes
1B Muncy
2B Kiki
SS Seager
3B Turner
LF Taylor
CF Bellinger
RF Verdugo
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
If the Dodgers traded away a useful RF in Puig and a useful starting pitcher in Alex Wood just to save money, yeah, I'm not going to be happy.

Yep. We all had expectations that this trade was to enable the addition of a high salaried player, and it still may, but now, the rest of the league knows this as well and can play hard ball with the Dodgers. Sometimes you'd think Trump was negotiating for the Dodgers. . . .
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

During Slow Offseasons, The Brewers Keep Finding Deals

Quote:
While Grandal didn’t have a great postseason with the Dodgers last fall, he was one of the best players available on the free-agent market. According to the Baseball Prospectus version of wins above replacement, which includes a catcher’s pitch-framing ability, Grandal was the 14th most valuable position player in baseball last season (5.0 WAR) and the eighth most valuable player per plate appearance (5.8 WAR per 600 plate appearances) among qualified hitters.

That was not a fluke.

In terms of total value, Grandal was the No. 1 position player by WAR per plate appearance in 2016 (8.7 WAR per 600 plate appearances), and he ranked seventh in 2017. Over the past four seasons, he was worth 21.2 total WAR. That’s star-level production. He turned 30 in November, so he’s not ancient in baseball terms. But despite all this going for him, Grandal settled for a one-year deal.

I'm a big advocate of stats, but I think, here, though they cherry pick, the stats don't tell the entire story. Now, if the Dodgers' pitching staff regresses as a whole and the Brewers', advances, then I guess many of us will have to eat a little bit o' black bird.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/during-slow-offseasons-the-brewers-keep-finding-deals/
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:

^
I'm not losing sleep over Grandal signing elsewhere. I've asked this on Facebook and I've asked this on Twitter to Dodger fans defending Grandal and wishing that he were still in Blue: how many postseasons in a row of colossal failure would it take for you to agree that it's time to move on? I mean, we reached 4. How many would be sufficient? Six? Eight? Ten?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Me neither...he has good regular season numbers and then they dropped off in the postseason. Him striking out with RISP was a signature of his postseason production.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Me neither...he has good regular season numbers and then they dropped off in the postseason. Him striking out with RISP was a signature of his postseason production.

Yeah, the article cherry picked, and this is why some don't like stats. Now if they mentioned his .107/.264/.200/.464 post season hitting numbers and that he was dead last in clutch hitting, being 981 out of 981 last season, the reader would have a more balanced view. Shame on FiveThirtyEight.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yeah, the article cherry picked, and this is why some don't like stats. Now if they mentioned his .107/.264/.200/.464 post season hitting numbers and that he was dead last in clutch hitting, being 981 out of 981 last season, the reader would have a more balanced view. Shame on FiveThirtyEight.

I'm mostly an analytics guy, but you really do need to take everything on a case-by-case basis, and stats do not tell the entire story. Josh Hart has a positive DRPM, and he's not good at defense. I mean, you really need to sometimes just watch the games and it will tell you what you need to know. If I have a hitter coming up in a big spot, I know I don't want it to be Grandal. And you'd know that if you watched the Dodgers.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
LonzoLegend2 wrote:
nickuku wrote:

In is Martin and Kelly

Maybe it's like losing Gonzo; we ship them out before their value completely falters. Kluber might still be a trade possibility and maybe Verdugo now gets a chance to be the newest Dodger rookie of the year.

C Martin/Barnes
1B Muncy
2B Kiki
SS Seager
3B Turner
LF Taylor
CF Bellinger
RF Verdugo

Adrian Gonzalez was a salary dump. We got zero value for him. The Braves waived him immediately after acquiring him.

Adrian Gonzalez had as much value as Homer Bailey had to us.

Kemp, Wood, and Puig couldn’t have lost any value because they were all on 1 yr deals. Actually, they would have been more valuable at the trade deadline.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps a major indication that we aren't seriously after Harper. I could see this happening...

Ken Rosenthal

Verified account

@Ken_Rosenthal
40m
40 minutes ago

More
Hearing increasing chatter about #Dodgers’ interest in free-agent outfielder A.J. Pollock. No indication a deal is close, but he is a target for them. Offers ability to play CF and RH balance. Bellinger, Pederson, Toles, Verdugo all LH. Taylor and Hernandez RH, but also play IF.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject:

It was pretty clear the Dodgers weren't going after Bryce Harper weeks ago when the 2 biggest teams out there were the Nationals and Phillies. I don't think management wants a lengthy contract that a player of that caliber would want.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ken Rosenthal
Twitter › Ken_Rosenthal
On rumors of Joc Pederson trade to #WhiteSox: #Dodgers have been discussing Pederson in possible deals, rival executives say. CWS one of clubs in those conversations, according to sources. Not known if talks are advanced to point where teams are close to a deal.
2 hours ago
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Quote:
Ken Rosenthal
Twitter › Ken_Rosenthal
On rumors of Joc Pederson trade to #WhiteSox: #Dodgers have been discussing Pederson in possible deals, rival executives say. CWS one of clubs in those conversations, according to sources. Not known if talks are advanced to point where teams are close to a deal.
2 hours ago

Well if we got Pollock, trading Joc would make the OF pretty straightforward. Against righties, you'd see Verdugo in LF, Pollock in CF, and Bellinger in RF, with Muncy at 1B. Against lefties, you might see Taylor/Kike getting starts in the outfield, and I would assume that the team would give Pollock some rest a few times a month, similar to how we use Turner.

Wonder if we are just going for prospects here, to add to our talent pool so that we have more to offer in a Kluber deal or in another deal. Joc still has 2 more years of team control and isn't breaking the bank with his salary, so we better not just give him away. I wonder if Nate Jones being included as part of a package for Joc could work. Jones has been oft-injured (just 30 innings last season on the heels of an 11-inning season in '17, which came after he tossed 70 innings in '16 but was hurt at the end of the year), but his fastball sits at 97-98 MPH. He has a career 3.11 ERA and a career 9.9 K/9 ratio (though that's dropped in each of his past 4 seasons). He also has a relatively affordable contract moving forward: he makes $4.65MM in '19, and then has a $5.15MM club option in '20 with a $1.25MM buyout. The idea of a hard-throwing trio of Jones, Baez, and Kelly getting the ball to Kenley Jansen is kind of appealing, if they are all healthy. The White Sox traded for Alex Colome and also signed Kelvin Herrera, so perhaps this is a swap that would make sense, as long as we got a prospect or two back as well, since Joc certainly has more value than Jones does.

I also wonder if Colome himself could be had, as he makes a higher salary than Jones and is more proven, meaning that the White Sox might be in a position to not have to give up as much--or any--prospect talent. Colome isn't as much of a strikeout pitcher, but he throws 95 consistently and gets a lot of ground balls. The issue could be that he is due to make $7.35MM this season and would be due for another raise in arbitration next season. He's much more durable than Jones, but he's also more costly. Not to mention that I don't think we'd get back the same prospect value.

Joc is going to make $5MM this season before a final year of arb eligibility for 2020, if anyone was wondering.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Let's see where the Dodgers are, from last season to this point, using baseball reference WAR:

Plus:

+1.3 Russell Martin
+0.5 Joe Kelly
-0.2 Jamie Schultz
-0.1 Adam McCreery
-0.4 Paulo Orlando
+0.3 Shane Peterson
-1.5 Homer Baily (though released)

Minus

+0.2 Tim Locastro
+0.2 Kyle Farmer
+1.1 Matt Kemp
+2.7 Yasiel Puig
+1.3 Alex Wood

+5.3

Free Agency

Plus

-0.5 Daniel Castro

Minus

-0.4 John Axford
-0.1 Daniel Hudson
-0.1 Ryan Madson
+0.1 Brian Dozier
+3.3 Yasmani Grandal
+2.8 Manny Machado (2.9/Balt)

+5.5

Then there is more to consider

Plus

+2.7 Joc Pederson

Minus

+2.5 AJ Pollock

Let's hope WAR truly does not equate to wins.

Also, how about we assign a WAR value to GM's.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Let's see where the Dodgers are, from last season to this point, using baseball reference WAR:

Plus:

+1.3 Russell Martin
+0.5 Joe Kelly
-0.2 Jamie Schultz
-0.1 Adam McCreery
-0.4 Paulo Orlando
+0.3 Shane Peterson
-1.5 Homer Baily (though released)

Minus

+0.2 Tim Locastro
+0.2 Kyle Farmer
+1.1 Matt Kemp
+2.7 Yasiel Puig
+1.3 Alex Wood

+5.3

Free Agency

Plus

-0.5 Daniel Castro

Minus

-0.4 John Axford
-0.1 Daniel Hudson
-0.1 Ryan Madson
+0.1 Brian Dozier
+3.3 Yasmani Grandal
+2.8 Manny Machado (2.9/Balt)

+5.5

Then there is more to consider

Plus

+2.7 Joc Pederson

Minus

+2.5 AJ Pollock

Let's hope WAR truly does not equate to wins.

Also, how about we assign a WAR value to GM's.

Why did you include Homer Bailey?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 27 of 248
Jump to: