Which noise cancelling headphones to get?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Which noise cancelling headphones to get?

I'm debating between getting the Bose QuietComfort 25s, QC 35s, Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or Sony WH-1000XM2 (although I'm still open to suggestions for others). I dont have an unlimited budget, but definitely understand that you have to pay for quality sometimes. Would like to know what you guys would suggest.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject:

I think all of those are better than the Beats Studio 3 that I have, but I like a little style in my headphones and the Apple W1 chip is nice to have.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject:

There are better head phones for sonic quality, but never found anything that touched Bose on noise cancellation.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject:

I've been debating the cheaper sony model (700). The battery life is insane on those headsets! I agree Bose is better at NC in general, but how is the battery life? My sound sport "wireless" earbuds have (bleep) battery life.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

I’ve had multiple generations of the Bose, I’ve had the Sony. Bose NC is stronger than Sony, but both are good. I kind of like the NC on Sony because the Bose NC hurts my ears for some reason. I felt the Bose looked better. Battery life on both seems about the same.

I also bought some no name in-ear wired NC headphones in an airport that were shockingly good. They were all black, had room for one AAA battery to power the NC, a clip on the back so the part with the battery could clip onto my shirt, and a volume control and power switch. These actually became my go-to headphones for business travel. Lightweight and took up almost no space. But they aren’t Bluetooth.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

What's your primary intended use?

If it's for use on aircraft?, then you're going to be hard pressed to find a better overall unit that the Bose QC35. The Sony XM2 sound awesome, but the build quality is suspect.

If your primary use is not on aircraft, then the best sound is hands down, the Bowers Wilkins PX series.They produce the best sound quality in every environment other than on aircraft in flight mode. In flight mode, the sound isn't nearly as full, but if you use either of the other 2 modes on aircraft, then the sound is as fantastic as normal. You'd be doing yourself a favor to try them out side by side with the others you're considering.

Then there is the one factor that can only be deduced by trying them on, comfort. Some headphones fit certain head types better than others. Won't matter how good they sound if they aren't comfortable for your head and ear type. So definitely test fit any pair before you purchase.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject:

do they have to be headphones? reason I ask is that earbuds are a heck of a lot better IMO

I use etymotic research hf5 with comply p series tips

reasonably priced, sound good and have better noise isolation than any of those headphones you listed
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject:

I’ve heard the Sony 1000s have the best noise cancellation tech right now.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
There are better head phones for sonic quality, but never found anything that touched Bose on noise cancellation.

The new Sony's do. It's the revision of the MDR-1000x. Sound signature is much better too. There's a 3.0 version that just came out but I haven't had a listen to.

New Bowers are really damn good too.

I have Sony 1000xm2 and Sennheiser Momentum Over-ear Bluetooth. SQ wise I'll take the Senn's (not by much) while noise cancelling is better with the Sony's hands down.

With regards to Bose...my fingers are finding it really diffucult to type as their rep SQ wise isn't the greatest but when I was at a meet, I thought they were pretty darn good. If you're not A/B comparing...I'm almost certain you'd like them.

Lotta great choices.

Personally the 1000xm2 on sale off and on this winter for $199 is BEYOND a sweet spot. I'm just waiting on a killer deal on the Bowers...

Too many hobbies, too little time...
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

I was in the same boat a year ago, I was so close to going withe the Sony's, but went with the Bose QC35 II and am extremely happy with the decision.

You can listen to both side by side at Best Buy, if money is an issue, then I'm sure you will be happy with the Sony's but the Bose are built so damn well, in my mind are worth the extra dough...

I wanted the most comfortable ones for an upcoming flight to Europe...
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

Just got an email from Bose, $50 off the QC35 II:

Link:
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/over_ear_headphones/quietcomfort-35-wireless-ii/buy.html?mc=25_CE_WH_PRC181216&ad_rid=190706932&ad_blid=241529481
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

^^ Even better deal here:

https://www.massgenie.com/bose-quietcomfort-35-series-ii-wireless-noise-cancelling-headphones-xcexedumcubjc9at?utm_source=rakuten&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=208164&utm_content=10&utm_term=US&ranMID=43055&ranEAID=lw9MynSeamY&ranSiteID=lw9MynSeamY-7jVkCZZL1g_CnrUUdMr92g&utm_source=rakuten&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=208164&utm_content=10&utm_term=US&ranMID=43055&ranEAID=lw9MynSeamY&ranSiteID=lw9MynSeamY-feXP.WpDOd.zxbcCHtiG6Q
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Figured I would update the thread. I ended up getting the QuietComfort 25's, and have been very happy with them.

With that said, I have some really heavy hitters, in the Sony wh-1000xm3 and Audio Technica ath-m50x's in the mail coming to me. I'm pretty excited because I got great deals on both of them. Once I get everything, I would love to keep them all, but I'll probably find the ones I like the best, and then sell the rest. I think it might end up being the Sonys...They are just ridiculous in terms of comfort, audio quality, noise cancellation, features, customization, etc.
axs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject:

I completely love my Bose QC35 II. I use it for everything. From flights to just regular jammin'.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

axs wrote:
I completely love my Bose QC35 II. I use it for everything. From flights to just regular jammin'.

Yeah, Bose is really good. I got the QC25, because the NC and audio quality are supposed to be the same as the QC35II's, only its wired and takes batteries (and in turn, much cheaper).

Overall, vocals, instrumentals, acoustics, guitar, etc. sound fantastic on them. Really nice accuracy and detail - I like the soundstage, as well. But, I definitely feel a general lack of excitement and bass, and partly why I got the other headphones. Also, supposedly the Sony's are supposed to have the best NC right now, and should be better at dampening out the higher frequency sounds like talking, that you may have in a work environment, coffee shop, etc.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

I have both the QC25s and the QC35II. No difference except that one is wireless, but I find that much more convenient.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

So, I've had the Sony WH-1000XM3's for a few days. Audio and noise cancellation are awesome, probably better than the Bose QC 25/35/etc., but it unfortunately has one fatal flaw for me.

It generates a pressure on the top/crown of my head (also some slight pressure on the sides of my ears). I heard a few people (not many) say the same thing online, but overall, most of the reviewers said it was just about as comfortable as Bose.

It's pretty frustrating, as these are supposed to be the best noise cancellation headphones on the market (and they probably are), but if you can't wear them for extended periods of time, there's no point. I'll probably end up selling these, or giving them to a friend/family member.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
So, I've had the Sony WH-1000XM3's for a few days. Audio and noise cancellation are awesome, probably better than the Bose QC 25/35/etc., but it unfortunately has one fatal flaw for me.

It generates a pressure on the top/crown of my head (also some slight pressure on the sides of my ears). I heard a few people (not many) say the same thing online, but overall, most of the reviewers said it was just about as comfortable as Bose.

It's pretty frustrating, as these are supposed to be the best noise cancellation headphones on the market (and they probably are), but if you can't wear them for extended periods of time, there's no point. I'll probably end up selling these, or giving them to a friend/family member.

No way of going into a Sony store and getting them adjusted? Is it just your pair or is that generally how they are?

On a related note I want to purchase true wireless earbuds and have no idea which ones to get.

Any help from you guys?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

No way of going into a Sony store and getting them adjusted? Is it just your pair or is that generally how they are?

On a related note I want to purchase true wireless earbuds and have no idea which ones to get.

Any help from you guys?

For workouts or as a main listening set? I have the Bose soundsport and have tried the Jaybird X3 and Freedoms as well.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
akk7 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Any help from you guys?

For workouts or as a main listening set? I have the Bose soundsport and have tried the Jaybird X3 and Freedoms as well.

All purpose. Working out, listening to lectures, streaming services etc.

I was looking into the soundsport frees but there’s supposedly an issue with lag when using it with YouTube and other streaming apps.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject:

I recommend the Soundsports. Both Jaybird models are painful.

akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

CC, you have the soundsport free or the wired ones? If you have the freed have you had any issues with lag when using apps like Netflix or YouTube?
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

Do you have an iPhone and do you not care about great noise isolation? If yes to both, AirPods are far and away the best choice. Otherwise, I've heard good things about the Sennheiser Momentums. I've also used the Jabra Elite Sports and liked them, but couldn't really get a perfect fit. You might have to finagle with the different tip/earwing options on those.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

CC, you have the soundsport free or the wired ones? If you have the freed have you had any issues with lag when using apps like Netflix or YouTube?

I have the wireless ones. Way more convenient than wired ones.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/earphones/soundsport-wireless.html

I haven’t experienced any lag or connection issues.

akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
akk7 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I have the wireless ones. Way more convenient than wired ones.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/earphones/soundsport-wireless.html

I haven’t experienced any lag or connection issues.

I see. The ones I want are the truly wireless ones. The soundsport free. It’s the earbuds with no wires. The issue is supposedly there are lag issues. There are no lag issues with the one you have, but I want a truly wireless experience like with airpods, but with way better sound quality.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: