When a Billionaire Wants a Burger
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: When a Billionaire Wants a Burger

He Waits in Line Just Like Everybody Else

Bill Gates at Dicks Drive In Last night. He had the munchies...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Why.....wouldn’t he have to stand in line?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

well id imagine some business would roll out the carpet for a high profile person. Just off the top of my head I recall seeing a story of Obama bypassing the line at Franklin BBQ which is one of the most infamous restaurant waiting lines
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Celebrities don’t have to stand in line if they don’t want to. Example: Jimmy Choo I think it was would lock down their store so Kobe and family could shop privately
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject:

To paint a clear picture, this neighborhood, Wallingford, is on par with Van Nuys or Echo Park in Los Angeles. It's about 10 blocks from the University of Washington Campus and the clientele is a combination of high school & college students, a smattering of drug dealers, and that areas healthy homeless population. It's just a rather odd place to find one the the worlds wealthiest human beings at 12:30 am (munchies ) waiting in line for a mediocre burger & fries. There is a nicer Dicks over on lower Queen Anne about a mile from his Foundation headquarters. This particular Dicks is not on his way home (opposite direction) and as a former Seattle resident who grew up not too far from that location, he clearly knows what type of area it is. 3 weeks ago the cops had an armed standoff with a drugged out weirdo just a block from there. I just think it's kinda cool that he'd turn up at that spot in the middle of the night (Munchies ).
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
I just think it's kinda cool that he'd turn up at that spot in the middle of the night (Munchies ).

Cool? . . . It's f*ç%!ng baller!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
I just think it's kinda cool that he'd turn up at that spot in the middle of the night (Munchies ).

Cool? . . . It's f*ç%!ng baller!

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject:

yeah from that pic it looks like a kinda sketchy area. Im shocked someone like him would be there with assuming no security detail.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Aside from the obvious point of him getting special treatment, there's also the fact that delivery apps exist or he could just pay someone to stand in line for him.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
yeah from that pic it looks like a kinda sketchy area. Im shocked someone like him would be there with assuming no security detail.

FWIW, He's known for getting his burger fix over on the eastside in Bellevue (locally known as "Little Mumbai" because now a city that in the 90's was 90+%white and is now 51% Asian with all the H1B visa holders that staff all the big tech companies) @ Burgermeister, But that area is typically vanilla safe suburbia not far from his home in Medina. This spot is just kinda out of the comfort zone of most "White Bread" elites, But I wouldn't necessarily call it dangerous, or sketch, in the traditional sense. Wallingford is just a working class bedroom community that's near enough to the freeway homeless population that you'd not expect to see a billionaire casually roaming around in the middle of the night, especially a billionaire of the nerdy variety.

That said, i wouldn't consider any danger to his person. It's just an odd sighting. Seattle doesn't really have any "dangerous" areas compared to what's understood as dangerous in other major cities. There are no parallels in this town to places like LA, Oakland, Chicago, New York, DC, Detroit, Baltimore, New Orleans, and the like...
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject:

>"grilled onions will be an extra 59 cents, Mr. gates"
>bill thinks about it for a sec
>looks at cashier
>looks at wallet
>looks at cashier
>"on second thought, no grilled onions, thanks"

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ocho wrote:

Aside from the obvious point of him getting special treatment, there's also the fact that delivery apps exist or he could just pay someone to stand in line for him.

I dunno he’s a person it doesn’t seem that weird that he’d go get food.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:

Not the getting food part that's weird. A man has to eat.

It's more that he chose to stand in line like everyone else ... something many celebrities can, and do, avoid.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:

It's more that he chose to stand in line like everyone else ... something many celebrities can, and do, avoid.

Living in LA, it’s fairly common to see rich and famous people doing all sorts of regular stuff.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:

Living in LA, it’s fairly common to see rich and famous people doing all sorts of regular stuff.

I know the art of nuance is effectively gone these days, but, I think there is a distinction on those "regular stuff" and, a distinction on "rich and famous".

Not all regular stuff is the same.

There's a big difference between seeing Dennis Rodman at a restaurant eating with friends, and seeing the Earth's richest man standing alone in a line at a $5 burger stand.

I suppose they both fall into "rich and famous doing regular stuff" but, again, nuance.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:

I know the art of nuance is effectively gone these days, but, I think there is a distinction on those "regular stuff" and, a distinction on "rich and famous".

There's a big difference between seeing Dennis Rodman at a restaurant eating with friends, and seeing the Earth's richest man standing alone in a line at a $5 burger stand.

I suppose they both fall into "rich and famous doing regular stuff" but, again, nuance.

I’ve personally seen famous people that are far more recognizable than Bill Gates standing in line at a burger stand. Ironically, your charicature of rich people as being unable or unwilling to do anything for themselves lacks quite a bit of nuance.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:

I’ve personally seen famous people that are far more recognizable than Bill Gates standing in line at a burger stand. Ironically, your charicature of rich people as being unable or unwilling to do anything for themselves lacks quite a bit of nuance.

Two different rich and famous people can do the same regular thing and spark entirely different outcomes.

If you see Nick Young standing alone in a burger line late at night, that's not all that surprising.

If you see Bill Gates or say Obama standing alone in a burger line late at night, I think you'd get an entirely different response.

You wonder why. I don't as I think those can be easily explained (or at least, theorized).
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
tox wrote:
ocho wrote:

Two different rich and famous people can do the same regular thing and spark entirely different outcomes.

If you see Nick Young standing alone in a burger line late at night, that's not all that surprising.

If you see Bill Gates or say Obama standing alone in a burger line late at night, I think you'd get an entirely different response.

You wonder why. I don't as I think those can be easily explained (or at least, theorized).

I think you’re severely overthinking this. He felt like getting a burger so he went and got one.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I think you’re severely overthinking this. He felt like getting a burger so he went and got one.

Bill Gates' motivations aren't the discussion point. No one is denying he wanted a burger.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:

Bill Gates' motivations aren't the discussion point. No one is denying he wanted a burger.

Right. You’re just saying it’s strange that he did it for himself rather than pay a butler or something.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:

Right. You’re just saying it’s strange that he did it for himself rather than pay a butler or something.

I'm explaining to you why it is that some people would find this unusual, remarkable, strange, or whatever, since you don't feel that way.

As I said, two "rich and famous" people can do the same "regular" activity and it would be perceived by some folks, though clearly not all, in different ways.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:

I'm explaining to you why it is that some people would find this unusual, remarkable, strange, or whatever, since you don't feel that way.

As I said, two "rich and famous" people can do the same "regular" activity and it would be perceived by some folks, though clearly not all, in different ways.

Oh I understand why people might think it’s strange. I’m saying that way of looking at it is silly and misguided.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:

Oh I understand why people might think it’s strange. I’m saying that way of looking at it is silly and misguided.

Gotcha. Well, you're certainly entitled to that position. I was just explaining it because in your original reply you asked why.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:

Gotcha. Well, you're certainly entitled to that position. I was just explaining it because in your original reply you asked why.

Yes I was challenging the charicature.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
well id imagine some business would roll out the carpet for a high profile person. Just off the top of my head I recall seeing a story of Obama bypassing the line at Franklin BBQ which is one of the most infamous restaurant waiting lines

That seems sensible. He was the president. Standing in line would be a security nightmare. Although I think it would make more sense to have one of his detachment pick it up for him. Franklin Barbecue

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: