empire actor allegedly attacked in hate crime (all charges dropped against smollett)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: empire actor allegedly attacked in hate crime (all charges dropped against smollett)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2019/01/31/empire-star-jussie-smolletts-family-speaks-out-cowardly-attack/2735274002/

Seems extremely fishy to me...
    two guys just happen to run into this guy in the middle of the night, and just happen to know who he is and that he is gay and recognize him in the middle of a cold Chicago night where everyone is wearing huge jackets, and also just happen to have bleach and a rope with them?
    And instead of calling the police immediately he goes home first with the rope still around his neck?
    Oh and he refuses to hand his phone over to police to assist in the investigation
    K2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Too bad the surveillance video around the area hasn't been too helpful aside from that "Persons of Interest" pic released by the by the police.

Looks like he's got a concert(!) at the Troubadore in West Hollywood this Saturday which seats about 400. There were still tickets available as of Tuesday afternoon (Jan 29), it's now sold out with tickets being resold for double.
    jonnybravo
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Sounds fishy as f.
    jodeke
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    ringfinger
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
    Sounds fishy as f.

Does sound fishy but as with all accusations, I’m going to wait until all the information is out there to render a final judgment. But yeah, it’s a little hard to believe it happened the way it was described.
    Ted
    Star Player
    Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Sounds fake af.
    lakersken80
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

The skeptic in me says this was a publicity stunt all along....too many holes in his story...supposedly bleech was poured on him but a corrosive chemical like that would leave chemical burns on him.
    jodeke
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

Empire's going into it's 6th season . This may be a ploy to have people watch. The show has slowed down to a crawl. 6 seasons is quite a run.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

I don't get the skepticism.

CNN: Jussie Smollett breaks silence after his reported attack
    jodeke
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

I asked myself if I were attacked at 2:00am would I call the police immediatly, answer YES. Would I keep a rope around my neck for 30 minutes or more, answer NO. It just seems so unlikley. I'm in a wait and see mode.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
    ChefLinda wrote:

I asked myself if I were attacked at 2:00am would I call the police immediatly, answer YES. Would I keep a rope around my neck for 30 minutes or more, answer NO. It just seems so unlikley. I'm in a wait and see mode.

Everyone responds to being attacked differently. It's not uncommon for people to go into shock, get disoriented and not be able to think clearly.

My reaction to the skepticism is that it reminds me of the way people are skeptical of rape victims. Sometimes they don't call the police right away -- they may be scared and in shock and just want to go home where it feels safe.

Anyway, I don't even know who this actor is, never watched the show but I don't have any reason to doubt him.
    jodeke
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
    jodeke wrote:
    ChefLinda wrote:

Everyone responds to being attacked differently. It's not uncommon for people to go into shock, get disoriented and not be able to think clearly.

My reaction to the skepticism is that it reminds me of the way people are skeptical of rape victims. Sometimes they don't call the police right away -- they may be scared and in shock and just want to go home where it feels safe.

Anyway, I don't even know who this actor is, never watched the show but I don't have any reason to doubt him.

Not doubting he was attacked. It's likley he may have been. I question some of the accounting. Would the people you described keep a rope around their neck for 30 minutes? Never having had something like that happen to me I can only opinion. I think I'd get that rope off my neck ASAP That's a red flag for me. A rape victims mind set most likely will be much different than a homosexual attack. Jessie was a known homosexual. He had nothing to hide.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
    A rape victims mind set most likely will be much different than a homosexual attack.

You have no way of knowing that. I have no way of knowing that. It's easy to say what you *think* you would do after you've been beaten, but all you can do is *speculate* about how *you* might react based on your own life experience. Why is it so hard to understand that an individual who has a *completely different life experience* would react completely differently?

I don't know what happened. I'm suggesting that people might want to keep an open mind and try not to project their own expectations onto someone they don't know.

In some rape cases, the victim's first impulse is to go home, take a shower and change clothes. Then police tell them they've destroyed evidence. Maybe he just wanted to show how these people left him so people would believe him? Maybe he didn't want to alter the evidence? I don't know. But it's at least plausible. People who are in shock do all kinds of things that don't make sense. That's why they call it shock.
    jodeke
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
    Quote:
    A rape victims mind set most likely will be much different than a homosexual attack.

You have no way of knowing that. I have no way of knowing that.

It's easy to say what you *think* you would do after you've been beaten, but all you can do is *speculate* about how *you* might react based on your own life experience. Why is it so hard to understand that an individual who has a *completely different life experience* would react completely differently?

I don't know what happened. I'm suggesting that people might want to keep an open mind and try not to project their own expectations onto someone they don't know.

In some rape cases, the victim's first impulse is to go home, take a shower and change clothes. Then police tell them they've destroyed evidence. Maybe he just wanted to show how these people left him so people would believe him? Maybe he didn't want to alter the evidence? I don't know. But it's at least plausible. People who are in shock do all kinds of things that don't make sense. That's why they call it shock.

Quote:
    Never having had something like that happen to me I can only opinion

DaMuleRules
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Everyone responds to being attacked differently. It's not uncommon for people to go into shock, get disoriented and not be able to think clearly..

CL, you're trying to reason with people who are immediately looking to poke holes in the story of someone says they were brutally attacked and are willingly to believe that the person who is making the allegation is willing to go to astounding lengths and the infliction of personal pain versus believing that the potential victim may actually be the victim.

Engaging such people before all the facts are in is a pointless battle that only encourages skepticism over empathy.
    goes up in flames
    In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
    Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

I can be mad at him later if he lied. But I can’t ever stand behind him if he’s not and I don’t at least initially believe him.
    DaMuleRules
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
    I can be mad at him later if he lied. But I can’t ever stand behind him if he’s not and I don’t at least initially believe him.

Interesting.
    goes up in flames
    In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
    dvdrdiscs
    Star Player
    Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

What is his motive for fabricating this story? To promote season 6? To hurt Trump? There are better, saner ways to accomplish those goals.

I've never been in a traumatic situation so I don't know how I would react. But the one commonality that I tend to see from victims is that their actions are sometimes irrational to those who don't walk in their shoes. To be patient on the details is one thing. But to be dismissive is another thing altogether.
    jodeke
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
    Quote:
    What is his motive for fabricating this story? To promote season 6? To hurt Trump? There are better, saner ways to accomplish those goals.

I thought about that as a motive because Empire is starting to fade. I discounted it. I don't see how it could affect Trump.
    Quote:

I've never been in a traumatic situation so I don't know how I would react. But the one commonality that I tend to see from victims is that their actions are sometimes irrational to those who don't walk in their shoes.

Your point is valid. Trauma can cause actions that aren't always rational to those who haven't experience the trauma. My wonder is, why he kept a noose around his neck for 30 minutes?
    Quote:
    To be patient on the details is one thing. But to be dismissive is another thing altogether.

Agree. I think he was attacked. His reactions to the attack isn't something I can't readily identify with. My only wonder is the noose. Not saying it didn't happen as he reported, just wonder, seems strange.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    adkindo
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
    I don't see how it could affect Trump.

I am not up to speed on the story, but I thought he reported the assailants screamed "this is MAGA country" in a follow-up interview but did not initially disclose. I also think it was reported that he was on the phone with his agent at the time whose description of what he heard changed and became more graphic in follow-up conversations with the police....and neither of them would turn over their phone or access to phone records to prove they were actually on the phone when the attack allegedly occurred.

Maybe there are legitimate reasons for these decisions or the reports were not 100% accurate, so I will just wait to see how the investigation plays out.
    jodeke
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
    jodeke wrote:

I am not up to speed on the story, but I thought he reported the assailants screamed "this is MAGA country" in a follow-up interview but did not initially disclose. I also think it was reported that he was on the phone with his agent at the time whose description of what he heard changed and became more graphic in follow-up conversations with the police....and neither of them would turn over their phone or access to phone records to prove they were actually on the phone when the attack allegedly occurred.

Maybe there are legitimate reasons for these decisions or the reports were not 100% accurate, so I will just wait to see how the investigation plays out.

Right, I forgot that part of the story. If in fact that did happen wouldn't it help Trump with his base?

governator
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Pres. Trump on alleged racist and homophobic attack against "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett: "It was horrible. I've seen it, last night. I think that's horrible. It doesn't get worse, as far as I'm concerned."

https://t.co/vds7CBwc0T pic.twitter.com/aVIa7p0kUN
    LongBeachPoly
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
    jodeke wrote:

Would you hand over your phone? I wouldn't hand over my phone.

Why would he need to prove he was on the phone when this happened? Whatever is on my phone will not help catch the assailants.

What does it matter anyways? Lot's of people are attacked and not on their phone at the time. Why does it matter if he was on the phone or not.
    ringfinger
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Story is highly unusual. I think there is a difference, a context and nuance which is lost today, between being skeptical and waiting for more information to render a judgment.

It seems like people have to choose between calling him a liar or just believing everything outright.

I’d like to think there is a happy medium where we can say ok this sounds unusual and lets get more clarity before making a final determination granting that if true, it’s terrible.
    adkindo
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
    adkindo wrote:
    jodeke wrote:

Would you hand over your phone? I wouldn't hand over my phone.

Why would he need to prove he was on the phone when this happened? Whatever is on my phone will not help catch the assailants.

What does it matter anyways? Lot's of people are attacked and not on their phone at the time. Why does it matter if he was on the phone or not.

maybe it is just me, but nothing you say makes any sense to me. The alleged victim brought the phone conversation and the agent into the story with his statement. It would then be law enforcement's obligation to verify as many facts in the statement as possible.
    Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
    Page 1 of 35
    Jump to: