Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
I see the ranking of 10 but I think that is because we are still climbing out of the hole but make not mistake that ranking is way off. Our front office will be recognized and respected again around the league and the Lakers will be the model franchise again as they should be.

In my book, you become a great front office by achieving things, not by talking about how you are going to achieve things. I would put the front offices around the league into four tiers. I am doing this off the cuff, without looking up each team to see whether the current front office is the same group that accomplished the results. If I took the time, I would probably make some adjustments.

Tier I: Front offices that have won titles or produced contending teams over an extended period of time, including at least one period of successful retooling or rebuilding. This is not about winning titles, per se, and it certainly is not about ring counting. That's for players and coaches. This is about showing that you can build contenders and that you are not just a fluke like Joe Dumars.

1. San Antonio (Buford/Popovich)

2. Boston (Ainge)

3. Miami (Riley)

4. Houston (Morey)

Tier II: Front offices that have won a title or that have produced contending teams, but have not yet showed that they can sustain it. In other words, you haven't proven that aren't just another Joe Dumars.

5. Golden State

6. OKC

7. Dallas

8. Cleveland

Tier III: Front offices that have built a solid, sustainable playoff team at least once

Philadelphia, Toronto, Portland, Utah, Clippers

Tier IV: Front offices that have achieved nothing yet

Everyone else, including the Lakers

Note that the Lakers could jump several tiers this year. However, in my book, you don't move up the tiers by talking a good game or by signing a big free agent. You move up the tiers by producing results. The results don't have to include a title -- that's for the players and coaches. But you have to assemble the players and coaches who can seriously contend.

Where would you put Mitch/Jimmy (assuming Mitch/Jerry was tier 1)?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Judah wrote:
In response to whether or not LeBron is or has ever been the mentoring type:

”I’m not promising a championship. I know how hard that is to deliver. We’re not ready right now. No way. Of course, I want to win next year, but I’m realistic. It will be a long process, much longer than it was in 2010. My patience will get tested. I know that. I’m going into a situation with a young team and a new coach. I will be the old head. But I get a thrill out of bringing a group together and helping them reach a place they didn’t know they could go. I see myself as a mentor now and I’m excited to lead some of these talented young guys. I think I can help Kyrie Irving become one of the best point guards in our league. I think I can help elevate Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters.”

^^This, obviously, is from his ”I’m Coming Home” letter back in 2014.

”James didn't have much of a relationship with Irving. They'd been together at Team USA training camp in 2012 and both were represented by Nike. But Irving was more drawn to Kobe Bryant, whom he idolized. Nonetheless, James believed he could succeed with Irving because of his immense talent, and he believed he could mentor him. James never sought much counsel from older players when he came to the NBA but had come to enjoy mentoring younger players, whether they wanted it or not. Most did, as James had been in the league eleven years and many young players had grown up as fans of him.”

^And this is an excerpt from Return Of The King: LeBron James, the Cleveland Cavaliers And The Greatest Comeback In NBA History by Windhorst and McMenamin.

Great find. I'm optimistic too. It's on the young core to deliver though - none of them are at a Kyrie Irving level of talent. These quotes fit perfectly for where the Lakers are currently at.

actually BI and Zo have Kyrie talent. They just dont have it all bottled up in one thing.

It's very difficult for people to see this in others. which is why this world is a world of Do one thing really well or we think you're not that good at anything. how does it go "jack of all trades, master of none." as if being a master of being a jack of all trades is not as deadly as being a master of one.

kyrie drops 30 on you. but with little to no defense. Kyrie's man has 25 points with a high fg%. Kyrie needed to outscore his guy (aka hero ball) in order to help his team win the game

Zo drops 12 on you with very good man defense and excellent team defense, with excellent playmaking. Zo's man defense/team defense and passes slowed his opponent down to a bad shooting percentage while also getting others heavily involved so their scoring averages went up this game.

The lakers are up the entire game, no need for hero ball.

BI does it all. similar to what i stated with zo but just more efficient scoring.

what Zo and BI do is not something that most nba guys CAN do. most of them can't do it. most of them dont have the IQ to be a floor general like BI and Zo. The other guys are born scorers so its very difficult for them to turn it on and off at the right times.

I'd like to think the mid 00's Pistons were the exception rather than the rule, but everybody would love their team to play like that. Look at SA/GS and even the Kobe/Pau Lakers, teams with a foundation of defense, ball movement amplified by star power. You can have your cake and eat it too.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Mitch was Tier II. The debate over how much credit to give Jim Buss for the last championship team is not worth rehashing. I just don’t care about Jim Buss any more. Jerry West was Tier I.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

I thank the Lord every day for Magic and Rob. I give Jeanie a lot of credit for getting rid of her useless brother. She probably took a bit to long stepping up and taking charge but I am now really happy that she is in charge.

I will quibble a bit over Bryant who they could probably have traded for a future #2 pick if they did the move before he draft. Missed opportunity.

My biggest beef is with how they handled the Julius Randle situation. They could have signed him to a team friendly deal for 2 years and if nothing else he would have been a tradable asset. I suspect that he would continue to improve and would have played great with Lebron. All they needed to do is show some love and make him feel wanted.

It seems like Bonga is the developmental player over Bryant and I trust them to make that decision.

Still I love the plan and the vision and while I may quibble with the implementation I still feel we are on track with the ultimate goal of competing for the championship.

They are making the Lakers Great Again.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
I thank the Lord every day for Magic and Rob. I give Jeanie a lot of credit for getting rid of her useless brother. She probably took a bit to long stepping up and taking charge but I am now really happy that she is in charge.

I will quibble a bit over Bryant who they could probably have traded for a future #2 pick if they did the move before he draft. Missed opportunity.

My biggest beef is with how they handled the Julius Randle situation. They could have signed him to a team friendly deal for 2 years and if nothing else he would have been a tradable asset. I suspect that he would continue to improve and would have played great with Lebron. All they needed to do is show some love and make him feel wanted.

It seems like Bonga is the developmental player over Bryant and I trust them to make that decision.

Still I love the plan and the vision and while I may quibble with the implementation I still feel we are on track with the ultimate goal of competing for the championship.

I concur on Randle. Would have loved to see Randle running with LBJ. Won't lose sleep over it though.

One other area I think they made a mistake was not bringing in Boogie. At that price, it was a no brainier. Maybe they feel like he's not a part of the culture they want to build (doubtful based on the other signings) but his game is tailor made for Luke. Worst case, he never really played and we're in the same situation as now roster wise, Upside though was huge.

Otherwise, they've done a great job. I love the basketball moves, I love the Genius Talks program they created, I love the re-branding, and love the overhaul of a the training department, and I love that they have us bask as the prominent franchise in the NBA.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

I concur on Randle. Would have loved to see Randle running with LBJ. Won't lose sleep over it though.

One other area I think they made a mistake was not bringing in Boogie. At that price, it was a no brainier. Maybe they feel like he's not a part of the culture they want to build (doubtful based on the other signings) but his game is tailor made for Luke. Worst case, he never really played and we're in the same situation as now roster wise, Upside though was huge.

Otherwise, they've done a great job. I love the basketball moves, I love the Genius Talks program they created, I love the re-branding, and love the overhaul of a the training department, and I love that they have us bask as the prominent franchise in the NBA.

Boogie would likely not have signed here for that price. He’s giving a discount, to win a ring.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
2019 wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:

Boogie would likely not have signed here for that price. He’s giving a discount, to win a ring.

I agree on Boogie. It would have been an inexpensive way to determine how well he played we LeBron. We would have a year to determine if he was the guy we wanted to spend our cap money on next year.
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject:

I'm over these guys already, reasons have been talked about in other threads. Miraculously getting AD is not going to change my mind about this. Their inexperience running an actual NBA team has shown through this entire debacle. Unfortunately Luke is going to be the one to fall on the sword for it and we'll be stuck with these guys for at least 3 or 4 more years.

The way Maglinka operates is just not conducive to building the relationships needed to make deals with other teams. I will take Mitch and Jim's under the radar style every single freaking day of the week over Magilinka's biblical pronouncements to the media every time they do something or come up with an idea.

Mitch and Jim had their faults too - like not being able to even get meetings with free agents and not planning those meetings well and lacking the charisma needed to sway a free agent (to the point where they have to overpay scrubs like MozDeng to get them to come).... but in hindsight - this was much more easily fixable than Magilinka's big fault of pissing every other NBA team off (i.e., clear the cap space, hire a good coach, stick with the yute movement - and an all-star won't need to talk to someone charming to figure out hey, this is a place I might want to play!). Yes, there are Laker hating teams that have been out there since the dawn of time, but Mitch and Jim have always been able to work around that to make deals. I have no confidence whatsoever that Magilinka will ever get to that level.

Biggest red flag from the start should have been when we heard Jerry West was willing to come back home but someone (Jeannie? Magic?) didn't want anything to do with him... And what's even worse, it feels like they're more than willing to let Rich Paul be part of this front office now?? It's reeeeally bad when the Clippers are the most stable NBA franchise in your city. The Lakers will always be the real LA team with the most fans but man, they are really going to be testing a lot of folks' loyalties for the next few years until they fix this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
I'm over these guys already, reasons have been talked about in other threads. Miraculously getting AD is not going to change my mind about this. Their inexperience running an actual NBA team has shown through this entire debacle. Unfortunately Luke is going to be the one to fall on the sword for it and we'll be stuck with these guys for at least 3 or 4 more years.

The way Maglinka operates is just not conducive to building the relationships needed to make deals with other teams. I will take Mitch and Jim's under the radar style every single freaking day of the week over Magilinka's biblical pronouncements to the media every time they do something or come up with an idea.

Mitch and Jim had their faults too - like not being able to even get meetings with free agents and not planning those meetings well and lacking the charisma needed to sway a free agent (to the point where they have to overpay scrubs like MozDeng to get them to come).... but in hindsight - this was much more easily fixable than Magilinka's big fault of pissing every other NBA team off (i.e., clear the cap space, hire a good coach, stick with the yute movement - and an all-star won't need to talk to someone charming to figure out hey, this is a place I might want to play!). Yes, there are Laker hating teams that have been out there since the dawn of time, but Mitch and Jim have always been able to work around that to make deals. I have no confidence whatsoever that Magilinka will ever get to that level.

Biggest red flag from the start should have been when we heard Jerry West was willing to come back home but someone (Jeannie? Magic?) didn't want anything to do with him... And what's even worse, it feels like they're more than willing to let Rich Paul be part of this front office now?? It's reeeeally bad when the Clippers are the most stable NBA franchise in your city. The Lakers will always be the real LA team with the most fans but man, they are really going to be testing a lot of folks' loyalties for the next few years until they fix this.

well- said. But I don't think we can blame too much on Mitch and Jim for not getting a meeting with the free agent. All we had at that time was an injured Kobe and there was no young talented player in the team. We didn't even have any asset to make a trade for star player. Every free agent knew that and I don't really know how anyone could persuade a free agent that team could make to the Finals in a short time. Even if Magic was the GM at that time, he wouldn't be able to do much. When Magic took over, he did inherit some good pieces. He could say how he envisions those young prospects to contribute in a playoff team or how he could use them to trade for another star player. Mitch/Jim just didn't have those resources to sell.

When I saw the show Magic was on talking about PG13 coming to the Lakers last year, my first reaction was, if I were Pacers GM, I would do everything I could to stop PG13 going to the Lakers. The thing he said could really piss someone off. And the other small market GM probably felt the same way. I have said it many times before. He is too arrogant and people like to see arrogant people fail.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

magic needs to be fired and we need to get Jerry West after this season
lonesoul
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
oldlakerfan wrote:
I see the ranking of 10 but I think that is because we are still climbing out of the hole but make not mistake that ranking is way off. Our front office will be recognized and respected again around the league and the Lakers will be the model franchise again as they should be.

In my book, you become a great front office by achieving things, not by talking about how you are going to achieve things. I would put the front offices around the league into four tiers. I am doing this off the cuff, without looking up each team to see whether the current front office is the same group that accomplished the results. If I took the time, I would probably make some adjustments.

Tier I: Front offices that have won titles or produced contending teams over an extended period of time, including at least one period of successful retooling or rebuilding. This is not about winning titles, per se, and it certainly is not about ring counting. That's for players and coaches. This is about showing that you can build contenders and that you are not just a fluke like Joe Dumars.

1. San Antonio (Buford/Popovich)

2. Boston (Ainge)

3. Miami (Riley)

4. Houston (Morey)

Tier II: Front offices that have won a title or that have produced contending teams, but have not yet showed that they can sustain it. In other words, you haven't proven that aren't just another Joe Dumars.

5. Golden State

6. OKC

7. Dallas

8. Cleveland

Tier III: Front offices that have built a solid, sustainable playoff team at least once

Philadelphia, Toronto, Portland, Utah, Clippers

Tier IV: Front offices that have achieved nothing yet

Everyone else, including the Lakers

Note that the Lakers could jump several tiers this year. However, in my book, you don't move up the tiers by talking a good game or by signing a big free agent. You move up the tiers by producing results. The results don't have to include a title -- that's for the players and coaches. But you have to assemble the players and coaches who can seriously contend.

So don't even give this front office time to prove their strategy? People overreact too much on here. What has Houston done with Morey? It's good enough just to be competitive. Who cares about that? The goal is championships. How long has it been since Morey took over? What have they won?
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:

Jim and Mitch were not nearly as "under the radar" as some of you like to fantasize about. I can remember a very public process that played out regarding the "will they or won't they?" Andrew Bynum trade talks. And I'll need some examples of how Maginka are making "biblical pronouncements to the media every time they do something or come up with an idea." I can't remember the last time Magic spoke to the press.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
pokoy wrote:

Jim and Mitch were not nearly as "under the radar" as some of you like to fantasize about. I can remember a very public process that played out regarding the "will they or won't they?" Andrew Bynum trade talks. And I'll need some examples of how Maginka are making "biblical pronouncements to the media every time they do something or come up with an idea." I can't remember the last time Magic spoke to the press.

Maybe because they ran out of idea
They were not shy commenting their 2 max plan and overconfident about them.
But I do agree the way the front office handles the max free agent is different than last year when they were aiming PG13. Maybe they know these players are not coming or they have learnt their lession
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
pokoy wrote:

So you're saying there were this many leaks during the Jim and Mitch reign, and I'm just imagining this current regime being much louder? Or they had just as many potential tampering hits, interviews with late night hosts that people thought could be tampering (which couldn't have endeared the Indiana Pacer brain trust to us)? Yes this was during the Paul George is coming era and maybe Magic has toned it down now, but this is exactly what I'm talking about - he and Pelinka have still had to learn how to run a team... On biblical pronouncements - I mean, you don't get my context on this? Have you heard how Rob Pelinka talks? It was freaking KCP.

And I'm not even talking about this current debacle and how they got utterly played.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Username wrote:
pokoy wrote:

So you're saying there were this many leaks during the Jim and Mitch reign, and I'm just imagining this current regime being much louder? Or they had just as many potential tampering hits, interviews with late night hosts that people thought could be tampering (which couldn't have endeared the Indiana Pacer brain trust to us)? Yes this was during the Paul George is coming era and maybe Magic has toned it down now, but this is exactly what I'm talking about - he and Pelinka have still had to learn how to run a team... On biblical pronouncements - I mean, you don't get my context on this? Have you heard how Rob Pelinka talks? It was freaking KCP.

And I'm not even talking about this current debacle and how they got utterly played.

Yes, you are imagining it. You're willfully ignoring or forgetting the trade rumors hanging over Andrew Bynum's head, which were so public that Kobe Bryant was asked about it in a parking lot. The organization was leaking like a sieve during the Jason Kidd and Dwight Howard trade talks. You're willfully ignoring or forgetting Mitch Kupchak coming out and publicly declaring that the Lakers were "pursuing big deals... more than one big deal" after the CP3 trade was vetoed. I'm sure that made everyone in the locker room at that time comfortable with their positions on the roster.

The fact is, leaks from the Lakers have actually been few and far between since Magic and Rob took over, at least compared to the rest of the league.
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
pokoy wrote:
Username wrote:
pokoy wrote:

Yes, you are imagining it. You're willfully ignoring or forgetting the trade rumors hanging over Andrew Bynum's head, which were so public that Kobe Bryant was asked about it in a parking lot. The organization was leaking like a sieve during the Jason Kidd and Dwight Howard trade talks. You're willfully ignoring or forgetting Mitch Kupchak coming out and publicly declaring that the Lakers were "pursuing big deals... more than one big deal" after the CP3 trade was vetoed. I'm sure that made everyone in the locker room at that time comfortable with their positions on the roster.

The fact is, leaks from the Lakers have actually been few and far between since Magic and Rob took over, at least compared to the rest of the league.

I don't care about the rest of the league, nobody cares about half the teams. Are we comparing how much Magic talked to how much Jim talked, and compare how much Mitch talked to how much Rob talked? Everyone needs press availability, yes. But let's not pretend Mitch and Jim were just as out front as Magic and Rob are.

I have no insider info personally so I base my knowledge the leakers on what I hear and read, but my understanding is Mitch and Jim rarely if ever leaked, and from what I've remember, most of the leaking done was from Jeannie's side back then (because she wanted someone in the org to have relationships with the media so it's not always negative, which is understandable). If anything, the sense I got was Mitch and Jim were horrible with PR because they tried never to leak anything. Who do we think leaked the Andrew Bynum trade rumors? Was it Jim, who was known to be the one who pushed hard to draft him in the org? I ask because I honestly have no recollection, nor do i think anyone except for those who were there would knokw - but personally doesn't make any sense that he'd be the one throwing that out there. Sounds like a Jeannie leak to me.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

The bullet proof is real.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
The bullet proof is real.

What does this mean? They can't get ridiculed?
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject:

Great minds discuss ideas;average minds discuss events;small minds discuss people. -Eleanor Roosevelt

I disagree with the concept that our franchise has poor leadership and a bleak future. There are uncontrollable challenges that face the Lakers organization in 2019.

None of the previous front offices lived in a 24 hour social media sports cycle

NBA talent across the association has improved exponentially

NBA team expansion continues

Top Players make more money outside team contracts

The Lakers have adapted to these realities with employment of our current coaches and scouts. There are dozens of executives and coaches making positive collective decisions for the future.

It's incorrect to portray a multi billion dollar sports corporation as having two lone decision makers.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Username wrote:
pokoy wrote:
Username wrote:
pokoy wrote:

I don't care about the rest of the league, nobody cares about half the teams. Are we comparing how much Magic talked to how much Jim talked, and compare how much Mitch talked to how much Rob talked? Everyone needs press availability, yes. But let's not pretend Mitch and Jim were just as out front as Magic and Rob are.

I have no insider info personally so I base my knowledge the leakers on what I hear and read, but my understanding is Mitch and Jim rarely if ever leaked, and from what I've remember, most of the leaking done was from Jeannie's side back then (because she wanted someone in the org to have relationships with the media so it's not always negative, which is understandable). If anything, the sense I got was Mitch and Jim were horrible with PR because they tried never to leak anything. Who do we think leaked the Andrew Bynum trade rumors? Was it Jim, who was known to be the one who pushed hard to draft him in the org? I ask because I honestly have no recollection, nor do i think anyone except for those who were there would knokw - but personally doesn't make any sense that he'd be the one throwing that out there. Sounds like a Jeannie leak to me.

I must have been dreaming it when Jim made the same "max free agents" declaration and swore he would have the team rebuilt in three years, and if not he would step down. There were leaks all over the place. I've already given examples. You can blame them on Jeanie if you want to, but the reality is there are a lot less "leaks" the last few years than there ever was before. The only time Lakers moves are ever telegraphed is situations like this AD trade, where it's clearly coming from the other side.
monster_montego
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: BRING BACK JIM BUSS

DLO traded
Randle gone
Signed Lance Stephenson, Beasley and let Robin Lopez go

Played by NOLA
ZU for WHOOO IS THAT GUY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject:

A mess. I don't even understand what their plan is. What the hell are they doing?
sebadoh128
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: BRING BACK JIM BUSS

monster_montego wrote:
DLO traded
Randle gone
Signed Lance Stephenson, Beasley and let Robin Lopez go

Played by NOLA
ZU for WHOOO IS THAT GUY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brook.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

This is pure entertainment lol
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

IT'S A MUSCALA WORLD WE'RE LIVING IN!!!! GET USED TO IT!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 63 of 174
Jump to: