The Level of Hatred Around the Country
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
So after living in Orange County for 15 years I can't have an opinion about it without it coming from a perceived LA bias? So silly.

Sure you can. I didn't say that or suggest otherwise. Just saying that everyone has their own justification for their negative perceptions about other cities.

There's nothing special or unique about Angelenos.

Oh so you're having a different conversation than the rest of us. Ok. Enjoy?

No, you said that Angelenos bashing other cities is virtually non-existent and in the following post you went on to bash the first "city" (if we can call OC that) next to LA as a beige paradise.

Maybe you're just the one exception in LA that feels that way? I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and say probably not. Heh.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
You lost me at "cleaner homeless"

Perhaps you should come see the feces and needles we clean up in front of my business everyday.
i saw that. i tried to let it slide but yeah our homeless... thats something we dont want to talk about. but there's a reason we have so many. super high rent, but also because we get a lot of all the other cities homeless that live in bad climates. so that proves the point, even in your worse situation. what city/state would you rather live in? L.A. or some where back east/midwest? L.A. is the obvious answer due to the weather.

Yes, I've spoken to the LAPD about it on many occasions. Many of the homeless are from out of the area and come here for the weather and the soft laws. The city has programs to offer them free one-way greyhound tickets to get back home, but it's mostly unused (duh, they came here by choice)

Cleaning up feces and needles is a major health risk to me and my employees, but can't let our customers see that rubbish.

Just a couple days ago one of my regular homeless wanted to sit on the sidewalk in his usual spot in front of my business. There was a pile of feces there. He scooped it up with his bare hands and threw it in the trash, and then sat down on the poop stain. I nearly hurled.

Yesterday I drove through Silver Lake and saw a team of workers cleaning up an underpass that's usually packed tight with tents. I've seen them do this at least 5 or 6 times, then a week later it's tent city again. We have a huge rodent problem here in socal, mostly due to the encampments, and now we're seeing disease outbreaks that are commonly carried by rats. It's just completely out of hand at this point.

I do the Greater LA Homeless Count every year, have homeless sleeping in the alcoves and alleys behind my business and have cleaned up crack pipes, condom wrappers and human waste from my stoop and sidewalk, as well.

I've also done the same in New York & St. Louis. The homeless in LA are MUCH cleaner than homeless folks back east - because of the weather. The only thing worse than human feces in front of your building is a slurry of human feces mixed with melting snow, that then floats through cracks and doorjambs.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
So after living in Orange County for 15 years I can't have an opinion about it without it coming from a perceived LA bias? So silly.

Sure you can. I didn't say that or suggest otherwise. Just saying that everyone has their own justification for their negative perceptions about other cities.

No, you said that Angelenos bashing other cities is virtually non-existent and in the following post you went on to bash the first "city" (if we can call OC that) next to LA as a beige paradise.

Maybe you're just the one exception in LA that feels that way? I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here and say probably not. Heh.

You are deeply confused as to the conversation that is taking place and have demonstrated an inability to understand the written word in context. It's the full ringfinger.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I’m surprised by the level of hatred from our own Lakers fanbase.

This forum is full of hatred and spite.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how people from California are obsessed with being hated. It seems like this comes up a lot. From what I've seen, people regard Californians as a little bit ridiculous and regard California as a place with some nice parts that are absurdly overcrowded and shockingly expensive. Meanwhile, there are more than a few Californians on this board who take great joy in venting their condescension toward the rest of the country. Whatever.

Folks, the reason why the Davis trade went nowhere has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the Lakers play in California. Magic has made an ass of himself over the past year or two. He tried to get Davis by tampering. He hopped in bed with Lebron and Rich Paul. They tried to strong arm the Pelicans. Shockingly enough, the Pelicans did not just bend over. Instead, they toyed with Magic, then gave him the middle finger. The rest of the league is cheering to see Magic and Rich Paul get humiliated. If this means that Anthony Davis winds up getting screwed, well, no one made him get in bed with Rich Paul.

You sound exactly like the salty haters being discussed, and validated it with this sentence.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
How many Finals have we been in?

It's understandable honestly. Unless you're a fan, everyone dislikes the Patriots. It's old seeing them in the Super Bowl almost every year.

Comes with the territory.
no, we dislike the Pattys cause they CHEAT. there's a difference.

How many times were they fined for tampering lately? There is no difference.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject:

F woj.

I stopped following that clown and I feel much better. I will miss all the work bombs but F him for all I care
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:

You are deeply confused as to the conversation that is taking place and have demonstrated an inability to understand the written word in context. It's the full ringfinger.

Not really man. You suggest that Angelenos are some special kind of group and that city hatred is only ever directed at LA but not from it. Oh, but in the cases where you do do it, it's with "merit".

That's the type of smugness the OP (not me) was referring to, BTW.

Too much smog out there, perhaps? I kid, relax.
tgi_friyay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

This.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ocho wrote:

Not really man. You suggest that Angelenos are some special kind of group and that city hatred is only ever directed at LA but not from it. Oh, but in the cases where you do do it, it's with "merit".

That's the type of smugness the OP (not me) was referring to, BTW.

Too much smog out there, perhaps? I kid, relax.

You remain confused not only about what I said, but about the premise of the discussion we were having. You either haven't gone back to re-read and correct your confusion or you aren't capable of grasping this fairly simple concept. Either way, shoo.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

Enjoy the hate, it means they’re taking notice. Go look at how thankful Celtics fans are to be able to hate us again. It’s cause we matter again.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how people from California are obsessed with being hated. It seems like this comes up a lot. From what I've seen, people regard Californians as a little bit ridiculous and regard California as a place with some nice parts that are absurdly overcrowded and shockingly expensive. Meanwhile, there are more than a few Californians on this board who take great joy in venting their condescension toward the rest of the country. Whatever.

Folks, the reason why the Davis trade went nowhere has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the Lakers play in California. Magic has made an ass of himself over the past year or two. He tried to get Davis by tampering. He hopped in bed with Lebron and Rich Paul. They tried to strong arm the Pelicans. Shockingly enough, the Pelicans did not just bend over. Instead, they toyed with Magic, then gave him the middle finger. The rest of the league is cheering to see Magic and Rich Paul get humiliated. If this means that Anthony Davis winds up getting screwed, well, no one made him get in bed with Rich Paul.

You sound exactly like the salty haters being discussed, and validated it with this sentence.

It's easy to call people "haters," isn't it? Anyway, Magic and Rich Paul have really pushed the limits. Magic has been fined for tampering twice. Rich Paul wants to set himself up as a king maker, even though he has a pretty dismal resume as an agent. So yes, the rest of the league is taking great joy in seeing Magic and Rich Paul get humiliated.

More to the point, the same thing would be happening if it was some other team -- the Jazz, the Nuggets, or whoever -- that was behaving this way. In fact, Magic is probably able to push the envelope as much as he has because he works for the Lakers.
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

What I don't get is why fans even give a (bleep) about tampering. I understand from the league's perspective. Everything about the rules is set up to benefit owners at the expense of the players. But why do fans support that? If you or I had a friend at some other company in another city courting us and we were not happy where we were, what would we do? I'd leave and go work wherever the hell I want to work. Only in sports do people act like that's dishonorable and you have to stay in a (bleep) situation working for people you hate in a place you hate because they basically own you. The idea of players controlling their own fates terrifies people for some reason. I understand why it terrifies the owners, but why on earth does it terrify the fans?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

California is a pretty awesome place to live. I would like to live here my whole life. Yea it’s expensivee, you get what you pay for. The Lakers are similar. They are generally awesome to be a fan of and you pay for it in being hated. Learn to enjoy the hate and there’s no downside(besides unbearable Celtics fans).
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

The Lakers are hated???!!! I'm shocked.

The Davis thing is business. His agent and the Lakers tried to strong arm an also-ran franchise and it didn't work. OK, go back to our transaction corner, rest up, and get ready to get back into the next round when the bell goes off this summer.

New Orleans' leverage just decreased dramatically. Is Danny Ainge really going to give them most of his team without a commitment from Davis going forward? I doubt it. And apparently Davis' father hates the C's anyway after they dumped Isaiah Thomas after he got hurt. Does that factor in at all?

The strong try to crush the weak in business and life every day. So New Orleans stuck to their guns. Good for them. Now let's see going forward how smart they were to do that. In the end, the Lakers will still be the Lakers, and the Hornets will be whatever they are.

If Davis doesn't wind up a Laker by summer 2021 it will be because he didn't really want it in the first place.

Meanwhile, LeBron and the rest of the Lakers need to get back to work and go try to win a title THIS YEAR. That's why they're getting paid. The org should be paying close attention as to who the grown-ups in purple and gold are as we move into the playoffs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
The Lakers are hated???!!! I'm shocked.

The Davis thing is business. His agent and the Lakers tried to strong arm an also-ran franchise and it didn't work. OK, go back to our transaction corner, rest up, and get ready to get back into the next round when the bell goes off this summer.

New Orleans' leverage just decreased dramatically. Is Danny Ainge really going to give them most of his team without a commitment from Davis going forward? I doubt it. And apparently Davis' father hates the C's anyway after they dumped Isaiah Thomas after he got hurt. Does that factor in at all?

The strong try to crush the weak in business and life every day. So New Orleans stuck to their guns. Good for them. Now let's see going forward how smart they were to do that. In the end, the Lakers will still be the Lakers, and the Hornets will be whatever they are.

If Davis doesn't wind up a Laker by summer 2021 it will be because he didn't really want it in the first place.

Meanwhile, LeBron and the rest of the Lakers need to get back to work and go try to win a title THIS YEAR. That's why they're getting paid. The org should be paying close attention as to who the grown-ups in purple and gold are as we move into the playoffs.

Who the Hornets will be is a team playing in Charlotte. You have it wrong, the business here is the NBA, not the franchises. One franchise cannot crush another for the NBA to succeed. Dr. Buss understood that perfectly well, that is why the movements made to allow the big markets to subsidize the small markets were things he strongly supported. He recognized that without the small market teams, there would be no NBA and there would be no Lakers.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
The homeless in LA are MUCH cleaner than homeless folks back east - because of the weather. The only thing worse than human feces in front of your building is a slurry of human feces mixed with melting snow, that then floats through cracks and doorjambs.

So you realize we have a typhus outbreak in Los Angeles that originated in our homeless encampments, right? And I'm not sure why you're focused on fecal snowcones as some measure of cleanliness. LA has at least 10x the homeless population of any cold weather city save NYC. So 50,000+ homeless with no access to public sanitation infrastructure is going to have a much larger impact than 5000 or 500. Hence, typhus, and hepatitis and all the other infectious disease outbreaks we've had here on the west coast associated with our huge homeless populations.

So no, being infested with typhus carrying fleas does not make a homeless person cleaner than someone pooping in the snow.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Level of Hatred Around the Country

Dr. Laker wrote:
I have spent the last 3 or 4 hours receiving texts and phone calls from fans of other teams who are positively ecstatic because the Lakers did not trade for Anthony Davis. Even those who were telling me what a doofus Magic was for offering so much (reportedly) are MUCH happier that we didn't do a deal than they would've been if we'd paid too much.

Sports hate is something I understand - Belicheat, Brady, the Cowboys, any SEC team and the Foston Bucking Celtics can all burn forever in Sports Hell and it won't be long enough in my book.

The hate for the Lakers, however, seems to go beyong hating the star players and the legacy of success or the Hollywood atmosphere. For everyone (except, presumably, Clippers fans), hating the Lakers is hating Los Angeles, California, and everything it stands for - 80 degree days in the winter, more physically fit and better looking people, higher degree of social conciousness, film and TV stars at Starbucks, cleaner homeless folks etc.

Whatever is "wrong" with the Left Coast, La La Land, the Land of Fruits & Nuts, and all of the other pejoratives used to describe Los Angeles, the disdain and animus is displayed in hatred for the Lakers. Not so with respect to the Dodgers, Rams, Chargers, Kings or Bruins. Maybe a little bit for the Football Trojans, but not to the same degree.

One of my most obnoxious friends called about an hour after the trade deadline from Ohio to crow about "Magic's failure." My office is in walking distance of USC, so I ran outside, gathered 6 random girls for a photo and texted it to him. He texted back a middle finger icon.

So, send him a note complaining about how freezing it is here and then tell him it got all the way down to 69º, follow it up with another note telling him that we are having a massive heatwave and it got all the way up to 71º. Do this on a day where it sucks where he is. Then show him a picture of your new friend Bambi in her sting bikini, telling him she's at work.
AncientMariner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

tgi_friyay wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This.

Most fans at the time for PG13: "Thank god the FO didn't mortgage our future for a guy who is coming for free." Everyone had him penciled in the lineup in their signatures etc.

Same fans with Kawhi: "Pop is crazy, wants our whole team. PG13 is from Palmdale and Kawhi is way better, let's wait it out and keep the young guys too. He fits better with LeBron anyway."

Deadline this year: "I have no idea why we didn't get Kawhi or PG13. This FO is terrible."

Whether you like it or not, the FO usually listens to the fans. Problem is we're bipolar and greedy Lakers fans.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
New Orleans' leverage just decreased dramatically.

A passing comment on this, just because I see people keep saying it. If the Pelicans want to keep screwing over the Lakers, they can do it with ease. We have to assume that the Pelicans (and Ainge) realize that Magic and Paul have painted themselves into a corner. Magic can't hold open a max slot for the summer of 2020. People would be breaking out the torches and pitchforks if he did that. Either Magic induces the Pelicans to trade Davis to us this summer, or else you can forget about Davis becoming a Laker. As of August 1, Davis could find himself twisting in the wind. He would be forced to modify his unwillingness to sign an extension with anyone other than the Lakers, because he would never become a Laker.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
The homeless in LA are MUCH cleaner than homeless folks back east - because of the weather. The only thing worse than human feces in front of your building is a slurry of human feces mixed with melting snow, that then floats through cracks and doorjambs.

So you realize we have a typhus outbreak in Los Angeles that originated in our homeless encampments, right? And I'm not sure why you're focused on fecal snowcones as some measure of cleanliness. LA has at least 10x the homeless population of any cold weather city save NYC. So 50,000+ homeless with no access to public sanitation infrastructure is going to have a much larger impact than 5000 or 500. Hence, typhus, and hepatitis and all the other infectious disease outbreaks we've had here on the west coast associated with our huge homeless populations.

So no, being infested with typhus carrying fleas does not make a homeless person cleaner than someone pooping in the snow.

I'm not going to play "top that" on the internet with you. I will simply say I have been involved in the Continuum of Care since November 1987, when 7 homeless people froze to death in Los Angeles and I know all about the typhus outbreak this season and the Hep C outbreak 2 years ago. Our homeless are cleaner.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
More to the point, the same thing would be happening if it was some other team -- the Jazz, the Nuggets, or whoever -- that was behaving this way. In fact, Magic is probably able to push the envelope as much as he has because he works for the Lakers.

Dude, I know you hate Magic, but this phenomenon predated Maginka. It was present under our down years with Mitch/Jim (04-07, 11-17), and under West post Showtime/pre-Three-Peat.

Do you recall in 1999 when the Lakers were pursuing a S&T for Tom Gugliotta and several GMs (including Don Nelson) PUBLICLY got involved, promising to help Minnesota if they didn't trade with us?

That kind of stuff doesn't happen to the Jazz/T-Wolves/Celtics/Knicks or anyone else in the league.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Dude, I know you hate Magic, but this phenomenon predated Maginka.

Again, it's really easy to call someone a hater, isn't it? Anyway, I understand the appeal of a persecution complex, but the reality is that the Lakers have made an awful lot of trades over the years. Furthermore, what we're talking about right now is Anthony Davis. If you choose to disregard the behavior of Magic and Rich Paul, then there isn't much that I can say that is going to reach you.
tkLAKERS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

tgi_friyay wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This.

Yeah, this. I get depressed reading all the negative stuff in our young core’s threads.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
New Orleans' leverage just decreased dramatically.

A passing comment on this, just because I see people keep saying it. If the Pelicans want to keep screwing over the Lakers, they can do it with ease. We have to assume that the Pelicans (and Ainge) realize that Magic and Paul have painted themselves into a corner. Magic can't hold open a max slot for the summer of 2020. People would be breaking out the torches and pitchforks if he did that. Either Magic induces the Pelicans to trade Davis to us this summer, or else you can forget about Davis becoming a Laker. As of August 1, Davis could find himself twisting in the wind. He would be forced to modify his unwillingness to sign an extension with anyone other than the Lakers, because he would never become a Laker.

I agree. The Lakers should be less predictable. If Davis is the clear cut #1 and only choice, of course the stakes are going to be high. We need to play better poker and bid for other players. The late Dr. Jerry Buss was a great poker player, we miss that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: