LA-Boston rivalry is dead
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinkle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: LA-Boston rivalry is dead

It is dead.

The truth is Boston really doesn't care about basketball, they cared when they had a dominant white guy in the 80's but that's about it. Sure there are Celtic fans scattered throughout the country but they aren't diehards.

Boston cares about their Football, Baseball, and even hockey team more than basketball.

On the other hand LA cares about their Basketball, and Baseball team. Rams\Chargers have a long way from being the "LA" team. The SB was not Boston vs LA, LA didn't care, most people are fans of other football teams anyways.

Dodgers and Red Sox aren't real rivals either so that is pointless to talk about.

Lakers fans celebrated our Celtics win yesterday, while nobody in Boston cared that Celtics lost. Just like nobody in LA cared that the Rams lost the SB.

Time to face it, the Celtics rivalry is dead (has been for awhile). Time for Lakers fans to move on and find a new team to hate. Hell.... Clippers are a bigger rival than Celtics..
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: LA-Boston rivalry is dead

kinkle wrote:
It is dead.

The truth is Boston really doesn't care about basketball, they cared when they had a dominant white guy in the 80's but that's about it. Sure there are Celtic fans scattered throughout the country but they aren't diehards.

Boston cares about their Football, Baseball, and even hockey team more than basketball.

On the other hand LA cares about their Basketball, and Baseball team. Rams\Chargers have a long way from being the "LA" team. The SB was not Boston vs LA, LA didn't care, most people are fans of other football teams anyways.

Dodgers and Red Sox aren't real rivals either so that is pointless to talk about.

Lakers fans celebrated our Celtics win yesterday, while nobody in Boston cared that Celtics lost. Just like nobody in LA cared that the Rams lost the SB.

Time to face it, the Celtics rivalry is dead (has been for awhile). Time for Lakers fans to move on and find a new team to hate. Hell.... Clippers are a bigger rival than Celtics..

Warriors.

(bleep) them.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Nah. Did you see the atmosphere last night? After Kuzma hit his third three in the third, i thought to myself: "and, suddenly, a laker-celtic game broke out." the intensity shot through the roof, doesn't happen in early february unless there is a rivalry...
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

It was barely alive in the late 80's/early 90's. I remember Magic and Bird meeting for a perfunctory game and Chick saying "this used to be a big deal".
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

The Superbowl to me was definitely Boston vs. LA. Rams needed to avenge the Dodgers and failed spectacularly.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject:

It’s also a completely different group of players, most of whom are not known for their time as Celtics or, aside from our young core, as Lakers...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Couldn't disagree more. Nothing wrong with having your own opinions. But, when you proclaim that everyone else should share the same perspective "time to face it" "time for lakers fans to move on", you're barking up the wrong tree. Never understand why anyone thinks it's their entitlement to inform everyone else of how they should view something.
Klutch Sports Group
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

we saw it in the Kobe and KG era, if both teams are good, there in no better rivalry in basketball.

Last edited by Klutch Sports Group on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
kinkle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
Couldn't disagree more. Nothing wrong with having your own opinions. But, when you proclaim that everyone else should share the same perspective "time to face it" "time for lakers fans to move on", you're barking up the wrong tree. Never understand why anyone thinks it's their entitlement to inform everyone else of how they should view something.

You can disagree all you wan't, you're still wrong though. Of course the rivalry is still "real" to a small group of fans on both sides, but even they have to admit that things have died down considerably since the 80's.

Examples of real legendary rivalries: Red Sox-Yankees, Ohio State-Michigan, FCB-Real Madrid, Giants-Cowboys, Dodgers-Giants. These rivalries will carry on even when both teams suck.

I expected a lot of Lakers fans to disagree with me, because really we are the only side that still care about the rivalry (like I said earlier).

Sure Celtics fans hate the Lakers, but so does every other team in the NBA, it also doesn't help that we have the most hated player in the NBA playing for us either.

The truth is Celtics aren't even a top 5 rival for us anymore...
Klutch Sports Group
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

kinkle wrote:
Rek wrote:

You can disagree all you wan't, you're still wrong though. Of course the rivalry is still "real" to a small group of fans on both sides, but even they have to admit that things have died down considerably since the 80's.

Examples of real legendary rivalries: Red Sox-Yankees, Ohio State-Michigan, FCB-Real Madrid, Giants-Cowboys, Dodgers-Giants. These rivalries will carry on even when both teams suck.

I expected a lot of Lakers fans to disagree with me, because really we are the only side that still care about the rivalry (like I said earlier).

Sure Celtics fans hate the Lakers, but so does every other team in the NBA, it also doesn't help that we have the most hated player in the NBA playing for us either.

The truth is Celtics aren't even a top 5 rival for us anymore...

Lol. Like you are the end all of claiming when it is dead.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Buddy where were you in 2008 and 2010? It'll happen again.
What you might be saying is that for almost a decade now the Lakers and Celtics have been irrelevant. Well then I got a CENTURY of RedSox history for you. Throughout that period there still was a rivalry with the Yankees, even though the RedSox did jack-$hit!

Fair warning, I'm one of those that pours oil into this rivalry fire.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject:

It's dormant. It seems to flare up every other decade. Hopefully we get another finals in the next ten years.
kinkle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
Buddy where were you in 2008 and 2010? It'll happen again.
What you might be saying is that for almost a decade now the Lakers and Celtics have been irrelevant. Well then I got a CENTURY of RedSox history for you. Throughout that period there still was a rivalry with the Yankees, even though the RedSox did jack-$hit!

Fair warning, I'm one of those that pours oil into this rivalry fire.

The two best teams in the NBA will always be rivals, especially if they are perennial contenders. Red Sox - Yankees are completely different like I said earlier.

You guys still don't get it. No matter how real this is to you, nobody in Boston cares! They don't care about basketball, until they get another good white guy on their team they will keep not caring. Boston is not a basketball city.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Nah it's still there. Once both teams have contending squads itll come back to life.
kinkle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I think all of you are missing the main point, Boston doesn't care about the rivalry. They don't give a rats ass about basketball. Is it really a rivalry when only one side cares?
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

That’s true. Boston really doesn’t care much about the Celtics anymore, in comparison to the Patriots and Red Sox

I still hate them and that entire city tho.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

My dad bleeds green. He seems to care.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Rivals compete for something. La / Boston only play meaningful games once or twice a decade. It's a slow smoldering rivalry with a much longer outlook.

Dodgers-Giants, Yankees-Redsocks compete directly every 2 months for the Pennant.

Lakers - Celtics compete for total chips. Much different timeline and usually by proxy.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Although they have been pretty irrelevant winning only one championship since 1986.

Last edited by 32 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Klutch Sports Group wrote:
we saw it in the Kobe and KG era, if both teams are good, there in no better revelry in basketball.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Although they have been pretty irrelevant winning only Ⅰ championship since 1986.

Lmao. Couldn’t be us.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Nah, there is def. still a rivalry there and probably always will.. Every single Celtic and Laker fan I know consider the games against each other in the regular season one of the few absolute must wins because they hate the other team even when they aren't good it's the same mindset.

It's not as consistently top notch as it used to be since there is much more parity across the NBA but as we saw only a decade ago when both teams were title contenders it was as alive as it ever had been. It looks to have the potential to be that way again within the next couple of years as well.

Maybe this is just a trolling post but it's mos def. not one sided lol.. Celtic fans still hate the Lakers more then other teams and having Lebron obviously fuels it even more but without him it would still be there....

Of course Boston is going to care more about the Red Sox and the Patriots right now since they just won championships.. If the Lakers and Celtics were in the finals it would get close to the same attention without question imo.
tkLAKERS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Not dead to me. I get mad when my son wants to wear anything green.
sean
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Nope. never.

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Nah. Did you see the atmosphere last night? After Kuzma hit his third three in the third, i thought to myself: "and, suddenly, a laker-celtic game broke out." the intensity shot through the roof, doesn't happen in early february unless there is a rivalry...

At some point in the (hopefully, distant) future, I will become too aged to watch sports or keep up with the Lakers.

At some point, humankind will find other activities and endeavors to replace professional sports as we know them.

At some point, the Sun will have depleted its hydrogen core and will expand to consume the Earth before collapsing into a black hole.

At that point, I will still hate the Boston Celtics, the franchise itself, all of the players and coaches who've ever been there, the owners, arenas and fans. I will hate the pets and plants of those involved, their houses and clothing. I will hate leprechauns, 4 leaf clovers & even cobblestoned streets.

I will always hate the Boston Celtics.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: