LA-Boston rivalry is dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sean
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Nah. Did you see the atmosphere last night? After Kuzma hit his third three in the third, i thought to myself: "and, suddenly, a laker-celtic game broke out." the intensity shot through the roof, doesn't happen in early february unless there is a rivalry...

At some point in the (hopefully, distant) future, I will become too aged to watch sports or keep up with the Lakers.

At some point, humankind will find other activities and endeavors to replace professional sports as we know them.

At some point, the Sun will have depleted its hydrogen core and will expand to consume the Earth before collapsing into a black hole.

At that point, I will still hate the Boston Celtics, the franchise itself, all of the players and coaches who've ever been there, the owners, arenas and fans. I will hate the pets and plants of those involved, their houses and clothing. I will hate leprechauns, 4 leaf clovers & even cobblestoned streets.

I will always hate the Boston Celtics.

Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

The thing that makes Boston sports fans great is that they tend to be more passionate and obnoxious than any other fan base.

I think there is a generational shift where younger people are less passionate than older fans because there are simply more entertainment options.

However, relative to other fans... I'd guess Boston fans care as much as any other fan base.

It's hard to hate a team that isn't a true threat.

If we actually start to win with consistency... the hate will flare up like dormant shingles.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Not for me...I've rewatched the game...talked with my Dad a few times...reminisced over where this game fits into Laker lore...made Rondo an L4L...been happier than I've been the last couple of days as if this win somehow washed my spirit clean of the cleveland and ny debacles and the Houston L and the Sac L...wait I'm getting sad again...

guess I'll rewatch that 3rd Q and the finish one more time...only a rivalry can do these things.

Buck Foston...Beating the Celtics gives me a joy no other win can...if you lived through the memorial day massacre then you understand what I'm sayin.

We're my 1987 lakershirt with Wes Matthews big grin?

I Rocked This Shirt Until It Disintegrated

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject:

kinkle wrote:
I think all of you are missing the main point, Boston doesn't care about the rivalry. They don't give a rats ass about basketball. Is it really a rivalry when only one side cares?

You do realize they just had a championship parade for the SIXTH Lombardi and this is a just regular season game to a town that has won 10 championships across all sports in the last 18 years?

Did you watch the Laker Celtic Finals? Any of them?

Are we not contemplating giving up a buttload of youngins to win #17...do you think that's not a driving factor?

Glad you've polled every person in Boston and every Celtic fan to arrive at your current level of confidence.

#BannersOverBillboards
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

kinkle wrote:
Rek wrote:
Couldn't disagree more. Nothing wrong with having your own opinions. But, when you proclaim that everyone else should share the same perspective "time to face it" "time for lakers fans to move on", you're barking up the wrong tree. Never understand why anyone thinks it's their entitlement to inform everyone else of how they should view something.

You can disagree all you wan't, you're still wrong though. Of course the rivalry is still "real" to a small group of fans on both sides, but even they have to admit that things have died down considerably since the 80's.

Examples of real legendary rivalries: Red Sox-Yankees, Ohio State-Michigan, FCB-Real Madrid, Giants-Cowboys, Dodgers-Giants. These rivalries will carry on even when both teams suck.

I expected a lot of Lakers fans to disagree with me, because really we are the only side that still care about the rivalry (like I said earlier).

Sure Celtics fans hate the Lakers, but so does every other team in the NBA, it also doesn't help that we have the most hated player in the NBA playing for us either.

The truth is Celtics aren't even a top 5 rival for us anymore...

Thanks for proving my point. Enjoy your opinions even though you clearly believe they are facts.
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Who cares if its dead or not, BUCK FOSTON till the day I die
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

sean wrote:
Nope. never.

Maybe for the youngins the rivalry is over, but not for those of us who remember and lived through it. The Celtics were dirty cheaters...and they will be again if they ever become relevant again. Their fans were too, making as much noise, honking, Etc., outside the Laker hotel to keep the players up at night before their games. Hell, even their old rat infested arena cheated by allowing no hot water in the visitors showers, turning up the heat in the visitors locker room. (Cold showers in the visitors locker room has also happened at TD, so the tradition continues.)

Buck Foston!
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Nah. Did you see the atmosphere last night? After Kuzma hit his third three in the third, i thought to myself: "and, suddenly, a laker-celtic game broke out." the intensity shot through the roof, doesn't happen in early february unless there is a rivalry...

At some point in the (hopefully, distant) future, I will become too aged to watch sports or keep up with the Lakers.

At some point, humankind will find other activities and endeavors to replace professional sports as we know them.

At some point, the Sun will have depleted its hydrogen core and will expand to consume the Earth before collapsing into a black hole.

At that point, I will still hate the Boston Celtics, the franchise itself, all of the players and coaches who've ever been there, the owners, arenas and fans. I will hate the pets and plants of those involved, their houses and clothing. I will hate leprechauns, 4 leaf clovers & even cobblestoned streets.

well said
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

My family doesn't understand why i won't buy or wear green!
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: LA-Boston rivalry is dead

kinkle wrote:
It is dead.

they cared when they had a dominant white guy in the 80's but that's about it.

Come on, man. This comment says more about you than Boston fans. And I hate Boston fans.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

I don't spend much time considering the state of any Laker rivalry, or any sports rivalry for that matter anymore. Grew out of that. Life moves pretty fast, which is probably a nicer way of saying it got to be pretty tough to be an enthusiastic Laker fan through the past decade.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject:

kinkle wrote:
You can disagree all you wan't, you're still wrong though.

Aaaaaand that will be the end of that.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

kinkle wrote:
Boston is not a basketball city.

And yet they're 3rd in attendance in the NBA this season....
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: LA-Boston rivalry is dead

kinkle wrote:
It is dead.

The truth is Boston really doesn't care about basketball, they cared when they had a dominant white guy in the 80's but that's about it. Sure there are Celtic fans scattered throughout the country but they aren't diehards.

Boston cares about their Football, Baseball, and even hockey team more than basketball.

On the other hand LA cares about their Basketball, and Baseball team. Rams\Chargers have a long way from being the "LA" team. The SB was not Boston vs LA, LA didn't care, most people are fans of other football teams anyways.

Dodgers and Red Sox aren't real rivals either so that is pointless to talk about.

Lakers fans celebrated our Celtics win yesterday, while nobody in Boston cared that Celtics lost. Just like nobody in LA cared that the Rams lost the SB.

Time to face it, the Celtics rivalry is dead (has been for awhile). Time for Lakers fans to move on and find a new team to hate. Hell.... Clippers are a bigger rival than Celtics..

See, ya just can't lump everyone into adopting your viewpoint...
I was born in Boston, but grew up in Upstate NY.
Got branded a yankee fan age 5 so started hating on boston Red Sox immediately, then the bruins and pats for being rivals to the Sabres and Bills.
The moment I moved to L.A. in 95' it was predestined that I would love the Lakers and Hate the Celtics.
Since I actually have friends and family up there- I can say from personal experience that Bostonians think they are the center of the galaxy when in reality, they are a tiny, boring town the size of Orlando and somehow think they compare with the NYC's and L.A.'s of the world...
WACK!!!
Really confounds me as to where this cockiness comes from- Is it really just because the Celtics won a lot of titles back in the day?
Is it because MIT and Harvard are there?
Is it Due to Boston being the birthplace of the Revolutionary war?
Seriously wonder where this false bravado comes from, L.A. beats boston in so so many ways in a city by city comparison.
I'm gonna hate on all things boston cause frankly they're obnoxious.

Could it really all just be the chowder?!
Thee Black Mamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: LA-Boston rivalry is dead

kinkle wrote:
It is dead.

The truth is Boston really doesn't care about basketball, they cared when they had a dominant white guy in the 80's but that's about it. Sure there are Celtic fans scattered throughout the country but they aren't diehards.

Boston cares about their Football, Baseball, and even hockey team more than basketball.

On the other hand LA cares about their Basketball, and Baseball team. Rams\Chargers have a long way from being the "LA" team. The SB was not Boston vs LA, LA didn't care, most people are fans of other football teams anyways.

Dodgers and Red Sox aren't real rivals either so that is pointless to talk about.

Lakers fans celebrated our Celtics win yesterday, while nobody in Boston cared that Celtics lost. Just like nobody in LA cared that the Rams lost the SB.

Time to face it, the Celtics rivalry is dead (has been for awhile). Time for Lakers fans to move on and find a new team to hate. Hell.... Clippers are a bigger rival than Celtics..

As a SoCal transplant from New England, you couldn't be more wrong.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject:

As long as there is an NBA the LA vs Boston rivalry will remain alive and well. It's a money-maker for the league & the media.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Thee Black Mamba wrote:
kinkle wrote:
It is dead.

Rek wrote:
Couldn't disagree more. Nothing wrong with having your own opinions. But, when you proclaim that everyone else should share the same perspective "time to face it" "time for lakers fans to move on", you're barking up the wrong tree. Never understand why anyone thinks it's their entitlement to inform everyone else of how they should view something.

TBM's opinions agree with those individuals that I know who live in Boston. The OP's opinion sounds like someone who is projecting his own ideas on a different part of the country. Rek's opinion is just generally true. From those that I know that live in Boston, the #1 team in town is the Bruins--"everyone loves hockey" (of course, this is a very broad generalization). Next comes the Celtics, then the Red Sox, and then finally the Patriots. Those that live in Boston can disagree--everyone is free to have a perspective--but unless you actually talk to someone who lives in Boston, you are making things up.

--Anonymous
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Thee Black Mamba wrote:
kinkle wrote:
It is dead.

Rek wrote:

TBM's opinions agree with those individuals that I know who live in Boston. The OP's opinion sounds like someone who is projecting his own ideas on a different part of the country. Rek's opinion is just generally true.
From those that I know that live in Boston, the #1 team in town is the Bruins--
kinkle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject:

“ Next comes the Celtics, then the Red Sox, and then finally the Patriots.“

This is laughably wrong. Maybe in the 80’s. Red Sox are #1 and will always be. Patriots are a close second, and Bruins a distant 3rd over those. Celtics are last, and sometimes 3rd if they are doing good and Bruins doing bad.

Just look up the surveys on Boston sports, google it.

I know I’m preaching to the wrong crowd, the rivalry is still alive in a lot of Lakers fans minds, so hey whatever makes you feel better.

https://www.masslive.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/08/d280515a371964/is-philadelphia-catching-up-to.html
Boston hates NY, and then NY again, after that is Philly. LA is an afterthought.

Last edited by kinkle on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject:

kinkle do you perchance live in the greater new england area but not boston?
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject:

kinkle wrote:
“ Next comes the Celtics, then the Red Sox, and then finally the Patriots.“

This is laughably wrong. Maybe in the 80’s. Red Sox are #1 and will always be. Patriots are a close second, and Bruins a distant 3rd over those. Celtics are last, and sometimes 3rd if they are doing good and Bruins doing bad.

Just look up the surveys on Boston sports, google it.

I know I’m preaching to the wrong crowd, the rivalry is still alive in a lot of Lakers fans minds, so hey whatever makes you feel better.

[url=https://www.masslive.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/08/d280515a371964/is-philadelphia-catching-up-to.html][/url]
Boston hates NY, and then NY again, after that is Philly. LA is an afterthought.

Actually, it is what they told me this year.

--Anonymous
kinkle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/08/21/2018-boston-sports-survey-results-channel-media-market-patriots-red-sox/

“The big change is that the Celtics leapfrogged the Bruins. It’s the first time that has happened since the polling began in 2011. The deficit was as large as 23 percent for the Bruins and 6 percent for the Celtics in 2015. The Patriots received roughly the same support they normally do, and the Red Sox jumped up 6 percent from last year.”

Yeah just like I said.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject:

kinkle wrote:
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/08/21/2018-boston-sports-survey-results-channel-media-market-patriots-red-sox/

“The big change is that the Celtics leapfrogged the Bruins. It’s the first time that has happened since the polling began in 2011. The deficit was as large as 23 percent for the Bruins and 6 percent for the Celtics in 2015. The Patriots received roughly the same support they normally do, and the Red Sox jumped up 6 percent from last year.”

Yeah just like I said.

yea there is no way the patriots arent the #1 team in boston.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject:

kinkle wrote:

Yeah just like I said.

There's always one...and they usually cant figure out why they're single...

#BannersOverBillboards
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Well I can tell you that from 1979 to the early 90's EVERY Lakers vs Celtics game was important.. and they had more that one good white guy...

And to this day - nothing in this world makes me happier than a Celtic loss or something bad happening to the team!

I am SO hoping that Kyrie leaves that dump and Danny can't trade his youth and future picks for Davis, cause he needs to rebuild (again)...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: