Magic to have meeting with team about AD saga
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
MJST wrote:
It's amazing how all the Lakers fans were calling the Clippers a classless organization for telling Blake Griffin they wanted him to be a Clipper for Life, and selling their belief in him, only to trade him halfway through the season behind his back and laugh at him not wanting a thing to do with a handshake from Ballmer this year.

But Magic gets a pass.

It was ugly the way the whole AD saga played out through the media, and Magic's mistake was not withdrawing from those negotiations sooner once he recognized the Pels were clearing (bleep) around with him. That being said, the Pels or Klutch did us dirty by releasing specific trade offers (if if it was really one of them, which is most likely the case), and I don't THINK that part can be blamed on Magic. Also, as far as I know, he never promised these kids that they were Lakers for life and the situation is completely different from a Clippers' team that specifically used that line in their pitch to get Blake to re-sign.

I don't know - I'm completely against this FO's approach to team-building and their asset management + ability to keep things close to the vest, but this time it looks like they just got caught in a pissing match between Klutch and the Pels.

I think it is Magic that leaks because he can't keep his mouth shut about anything and makes everything about him. We need to rid ourselves of Magic, Rob, and Jeanie before they make this franchise more of a joke than it is looking now. This is what fans wanted though. They followed the media that painted Magic and Jeanie as saints, and Jim as the devil, while Mitch was guilty by association. It's not about the franchise, it's all about magic and Jeanie's emotions. None of them know how to run a franchise or a team and they hired someone with less knowledge in Rob. They didn't wanna keep Mitch so he could help them. Didn't hire Jerry West because Jeanie is holding a grudge and Magic wants to make it all about him.

It's a business, but Luke still has his coaching job. Had 3 years and has yet to show any significant improvement in his coaching ability. Optimistic fans keep reverting to how good the team is, when we can see coaching no matter how good the team is. It's actually better to see it, when we don't have that good of a team. We were willing to trade the whole team, but don't wanna get rid of 1 coach. It's said because of Jeanie he has not been fired and I believe it.

I don't know. I'm being turned off from watching Laker games, until I see some significant changes in the FO. Dr. Buss is rolling in his grave. Hopefully Jerry West will purchase the franchise in the next year or Jim Buss will make an abrupt return, cancelling everyone. Lol wishful thinking.

Even magic's latest appereance in phily, which was supposed to be address trade rumors and boost team morale turns out to be "forget those guys, they're professionals: this is about how the Pelicans screwed me over by not negotiating in good faith."

It's why I can't buy magic learning from his mistakes; making it about himself has been his whole life regardless of what went wrong. At the very least, he does steps down when he fails rather than learn from it like his coaching/talk show gig.

Hopefully he does the same with the 2 max plan if it's unsuccessful this summer.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
Wino wrote:
How many years has Magic run the FO for the Lakers? What is it? Like 10 years?? Yeah, he should know much better about these things, maybe if he was a rookie he could get some slack from his fans, but what has he done for us lately??

Keep in mind how Magic came into his current position.

Magic kept publicly trashing the previous front office and the players they drafted. Then once he forced the previous front office out he started making huge promises about putting the Lakers into title contention again and bringing back respectability. I also recall something about there no longer being any leaks to the media.

Magic downright trashed the previous regime and now he's running into the same obstacles they did but is only doing slightly better.

He's doing significantly better! He signed Lebron, and he didn't sign any long term contracts for guys like Deng and Moz. We are still in position to get a second star player, we still have the cap room for it.

You just see the glass as half empty and not half full and you think the sky is falling. None of that is true.

Truth is, we have a better team now, than we did at this time last year and that is EVEN while fighting through more major injuries.

You sound like the kind of guy who blames rape on the woman!! We got screwed, blame it on the people who screwed us and ask our FO to try to avoid that in the future. It was unfortunate, but I am nowhere near ready to start dumping on this FO the way I finally did against Jim and Mitch.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
Wino wrote:
How many years has Magic run the FO for the Lakers? What is it? Like 10 years?? Yeah, he should know much better about these things, maybe if he was a rookie he could get some slack from his fans, but what has he done for us lately??

Magic kept publicly trashing the previous front office and the players they drafted. Then once he forced the previous front office out he started making huge promises about putting the Lakers into title contention again and bringing back respectability. I also recall something about there no longer being any leaks to the media.

Magic downright trashed the previous regime and now he's running into the same obstacles they did but is only doing slightly better.

He's doing significantly better! He signed Lebron, and he didn't sign any long term contracts for guys like Deng and Moz. We are still in position to get a second star player, we still have the cap room for it.

You just see the glass as half empty and not half full and you think the sky is falling. None of that is true.

Truth is, we have a better team now, than we did at this time last year and that is EVEN while fighting through more major injuries.

You sound like the kind of guy who blames rape on the woman!! We got screwed, blame it on the people who screwed us and ask our FO to try to avoid that in the future. It was unfortunate, but I am nowhere near ready to start dumping on this FO the way I finally did against Jim and Mitch.

First of all you need to dial it back....a lot. We're talking about Basketball not other posters. I don't appreciate accusatory/inflammatory language being thrown at me, so knock it off.

Secondly, I'm not saying nor implying that "The sky is falling". My Point is that Magic clearly underestimated how hard it is to acquire talent in today's NBA and how difficult it is to build a championship team under the new CBA. I've said in this thread and others that I think Magic and Rob will be able to course correct, but that doesn't absolve him from the mistakes he's made so far.

Constantly telling the rest of the league exactly what you plan to do is a mistake.

Threatening to trade or get rid off all the young talent on your team publicly is a mistake.

Not acquiring a single shooter via free agency in today's NBA is a mistake.

Magic should be criticized for dumb mistakes regardless of whether or not it's his first year. In fact he should be criticized more harshly because of the standard HE demanded from previous organization.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject:

The whole issue with this whole kerfuffle was LeBron's darn tweet!

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:23 am    Post subject:

Magic = Jim 2.0 but Jeanie is too slow to realize that. She's gonna wait until it's painfully obvious before firing Magic meanwhile Lakers Nation will have to suffer and endure through another failed leadership. Five straight losing seasons and counting.....

Lebron only had one losing season in his career and that was his rookie year. That streak might be in jeopardy. Only the Lakers could find ways to lose with Lebron.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject:

Magic should honestly just shut up. Him talking to the media and the players hasn’t really done much good.

Just leave all that to Pelinka.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Magic should honestly just shut up. Him talking to the media and the players hasn’t really done much good.

Pels refused to talk to Pelinka though.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

If true, lol.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Lol
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Here's how the meeting started:

[Magic]: I was talking with Ben Simmons today right before this meeting, and he told me that he wants to spend time with me and work out together. Of course I'd do that for him.

[YUTES in their head reminiscing about that Fresh Prince scene where Will asks "how come he don't want me..."]
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

What if Pelinka got intel from Kobe to trade DLO. You can’t tell me those two don’t talk, right?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Wrong Thread
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
MJST wrote:
It's amazing how all the Lakers fans were calling the Clippers a classless organization for telling Blake Griffin they wanted him to be a Clipper for Life, and selling their belief in him, only to trade him halfway through the season behind his back and laugh at him not wanting a thing to do with a handshake from Ballmer this year.

But Magic gets a pass.

It was ugly the way the whole AD saga played out through the media, and Magic's mistake was not withdrawing from those negotiations sooner once he recognized the Pels were clearing (bleep) around with him. That being said, the Pels or Klutch did us dirty by releasing specific trade offers (if if it was really one of them, which is most likely the case), and I don't THINK that part can be blamed on Magic. Also, as far as I know, he never promised these kids that they were Lakers for life and the situation is completely different from a Clippers' team that specifically used that line in their pitch to get Blake to re-sign.

I don't know - I'm completely against this FO's approach to team-building and their asset management + ability to keep things close to the vest, but this time it looks like they just got caught in a pissing match between Klutch and the Pels.

I think it is Magic that leaks because he can't keep his mouth shut about anything and makes everything about him. We need to rid ourselves of Magic, Rob, and Jeanie before they make this franchise more of a joke than it is looking now. This is what fans wanted though. They followed the media that painted Magic and Jeanie as saints, and Jim as the devil, while Mitch was guilty by association. It's not about the franchise, it's all about magic and Jeanie's emotions. None of them know how to run a franchise or a team and they hired someone with less knowledge in Rob. They didn't wanna keep Mitch so he could help them. Didn't hire Jerry West because Jeanie is holding a grudge and Magic wants to make it all about him.

It's a business, but Luke still has his coaching job. Had 3 years and has yet to show any significant improvement in his coaching ability. Optimistic fans keep reverting to how good the team is, when we can see coaching no matter how good the team is. It's actually better to see it, when we don't have that good of a team. We were willing to trade the whole team, but don't wanna get rid of 1 coach. It's said because of Jeanie he has not been fired and I believe it.

I don't know. I'm being turned off from watching Laker games, until I see some significant changes in the FO. Dr. Buss is rolling in his grave. Hopefully Jerry West will purchase the franchise in the next year or Jim Buss will make an abrupt return, cancelling everyone. Lol wishful thinking.

Even magic's latest appereance in phily, which was supposed to be address trade rumors and boost team morale turns out to be "forget those guys, they're professionals: this is about how the Pelicans screwed me over by not negotiating in good faith."

It's why I can't buy magic learning from his mistakes; making it about himself has been his whole life regardless of what went wrong. At the very least, he does steps down when he fails rather than learn from it like his coaching/talk show gig.

Hopefully he does the same with the 2 max plan if it's unsuccessful this summer.

Never thought I'd see so called fans rooting for our franchise to fail just to fulfill their own fickle ideas. Literally looking at everything through the worst covered glasses pretending to know guys they've never met inside and out, don't ya'll get tired of this routine?
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

What if Pelinka got intel from Kobe to trade DLO. You can’t tell me those two don’t talk, right?

Kobe liked the post announcing DLO as an All Star on social media. So he doesn't dislike the kid or anything. Their plan was to get 2 All Stars and Magic obviously didn't rate DLO going by his post trade diss. But those comments itself after the trade was unnecessary when you were in the process of tampering with the same agent for PG 13 so supposedly on good terms. Fast forward to the summer, and further tensions regarding Randle, Mintz doesn't even arrange a meeting between PG 13 and Magic.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Responding to a tumultuous trade deadline that saw most of the roster floated for potential deals, LeBron James and his Lakers teammates confirmed Monday that they were hoping this horrible series of failed betrayals would bring them closer as a team. “I’m really trying to stay positive, and I think the fact that I openly tried and failed to push multiple players off this team for Anthony Davis will only make us stronger,” said the four-time NBA MVP, who claimed Lonzo Ball’s father trashing him on national television has only made James respect him more as a teammate. “Sometimes, you just need a cascading series of backstabbing lies, public humiliation, and transparent attempts to replace each other before you realize how great the players around you truly are. I’m sure these young guys feel the same way, and finding out that we don’t want to play with each other at all will take this team to the next level.” At press time, James insisted that the Lakers falling further out of the Western Conference playoff picture would only give them more time to bond this offseason.

https://sports.theonion.com/lebron-and-lakers-hoping-horrible-series-of-failed-betr-1832537573
SuperNutZ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:
Responding to a tumultuous trade deadline that saw most of the roster floated for potential deals, LeBron James and his Lakers teammates confirmed Monday that they were hoping this horrible series of failed betrayals would bring them closer as a team. “I’m really trying to stay positive, and I think the fact that I openly tried and failed to push multiple players off this team for Anthony Davis will only make us stronger,” said the four-time NBA MVP, who claimed Lonzo Ball’s father trashing him on national television has only made James respect him more as a teammate. “Sometimes, you just need a cascading series of backstabbing lies, public humiliation, and transparent attempts to replace each other before you realize how great the players around you truly are. I’m sure these young guys feel the same way, and finding out that we don’t want to play with each other at all will take this team to the next level.” At press time, James insisted that the Lakers falling further out of the Western Conference playoff picture would only give them more time to bond this offseason.

https://sports.theonion.com/lebron-and-lakers-hoping-horrible-series-of-failed-betr-1832537573

please don't tell me you actually...
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Kobe liked the post announcing DLO as an All Star on social media. So he doesn't dislike the kid or anything. Their plan was to get 2 All Stars and Magic obviously didn't rate DLO going by his post trade diss. But those comments itself after the trade was unnecessary when you were in the process of tampering with the same agent for PG 13 so supposedly on good terms. Fast forward to the summer, and further tensions regarding Randle, Mintz doesn't even arrange a meeting between PG 13 and Magic.

Good for Kobe! DLO balled again tonight vs the Raptors. 28/7/14. What dreamy stats.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Man, this whole botched AD trade was insane. This was the CP3 trade times a million social media. We all knew the timeline has shifted to win now mode the moment we signed LeBron but some, like me were still convince that we can take the cake and eat it too, sign LeBron and stay the course of developing the youngsters... lol, naive me. Now I thought Magic was ‘savvy’ or ‘respected’ enough to make LeBron fall in line and maybe he still did but I did not expect the LeBronettes to be this powerful, this klutch inc, man they overrun us. The AD trade attempt was a correct attempt but the process, Jesus Christ, Lakers first became Klutch first... this forkin sucks, only thing makes this worth it is a ring in the next 4 seasons, anything less is a failure. Go Lakers
hcbball
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Man, this whole botched AD trade was insane. This was the CP3 trade times a million social media. We all knew the timeline has shifted to win now mode the moment we signed LeBron but some, like me were still convince that we can take the cake and eat it too, sign LeBron and stay the course of developing the youngsters... lol, naive me. Now I thought Magic was ‘savvy’ or ‘respected’ enough to make LeBron fall in line and maybe he still did but I did not expect the LeBronettes to be this powerful, this klutch inc, man they overrun us. The AD trade attempt was a correct attempt but the process, Jesus Christ, Lakers first became Klutch first... this forkin sucks, only thing makes this worth it is a ring in the next 4 seasons, anything less is a failure. Go Lakers

It is definitely unusual IMO, and I am waiting to get more information on what really transpired.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

That was Magic's doing and then publicly insulting D. Russ by saying he wanted a leader, to why he was traded.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

That was Magic's doing and then publicly insulting D. Russ by saying he wanted a leader, to why he was traded.
Yup. That has Magic's fingerprints all over it.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
Wino wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
Wino wrote:

First of all you need to dial it back....a lot. We're talking about Basketball not other posters. I don't appreciate accusatory/inflammatory language being thrown at me, so knock it off.

Secondly, I'm not saying nor implying that "The sky is falling". My Point is that Magic clearly underestimated how hard it is to acquire talent in today's NBA and how difficult it is to build a championship team under the new CBA. I've said in this thread and others that I think Magic and Rob will be able to course correct, but that doesn't absolve him from the mistakes he's made so far.

Constantly telling the rest of the league exactly what you plan to do is a mistake.

Threatening to trade or get rid off all the young talent on your team publicly is a mistake.

Not acquiring a single shooter via free agency in today's NBA is a mistake.

Magic should be criticized for dumb mistakes regardless of whether or not it's his first year. In fact he should be criticized more harshly because of the standard HE demanded from previous organization.

You are hopeless, must me a UCLA alum!!
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/1094760525282590721?s=21

Quote:
Pretty tepid responses from players in the post-game locker room when asked about Magic Johnson's conversation with the team.

Magic’s talk sounds like it backfired.

As I said, Magic has shown himself to be shark-like, two-faced, dishonest, and disloyal.

The Lakers have no reason to take anything he has to say seriously, nor believe it.

If Magic didn't realize it, and tried to just pass it off as a "You're professionals. Move on." All that does is compound the problem.

The players aren't gonna trust Magic again or this FO for that matter. Their own fault.

For as much trash as they loved talking about the old FO, for as often as Jeanie loved throwing her brother under the bus RIGHT BEFORE free agency, and as much as Magic loved trash talking what a leader was and wasn't, while bigging up the people he never had any faith in. It all adds up and comes back on you.

This FO doesn't get any better till Jeanie steps down, Jesse takes over, and Ryan West is made GM. Fish will forever rot from the head down, and as long as Jeanie is still the head, and empowering people that think the way she does, the Lakers will suffer.

With the way they ousted Jim and Mitch, they don't get the benefit of a "lets give this FO 2-3 years to get their footing" because when you oust someone for not being fast enough, you are supposed to bring in people that get things done efficiently in that fast way.

In reality, if we're gonna give Magilinka 3-4 seasons to "get their footing" due to their inexperience, then it was pointless getting rid of Mitch and Jim for not being 'fast enough'. When their plan of keeping and developing the young talent which would have come on RIGHT AS LeBron joined the team, is looking far, far better. Than this "get rich quick scheme" of a FO we have now.

When all the Lakers had to flipping do was wait, they rushed, and blew it yet again. These are the signs of a bad FO, I'm sorry to say, and it's only gonna keep building from here. We can either change it now, or watch as this team falls apart over the next 2-3 seasons till a change is finally made and it's far too late to salvage anything we could have had from the past 5 years that we now don't get to benefit from because this FO has no clue what they're doing, or what they had.

If only we had hired West

Coach Wooden
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:

I'm just hoping we stay cap savvy and don't mess up a la Mitch/Jim in their final year by signing some wildly overpriced players to "become competitive" before Jeannie realizes that the front office needs replacing. I think Magic will always bring the energy and name recognition to the team, but probably does a better job as an ambassador representing us as opposed to the actual front office GM/President. He can draw big names, but as mentioned all over this thread, his mouth and ego can cause major disruption and backfire, and the current CBA and general NBA front office hatred of all things Lakers makes it far more challenging than he is likely ready to handle.

Similar to how we all want Luke to have better Assistants surrounding him, we all should be wanting Magic to have better GM/front office personnel surrounding him (no knock against Pelinka either - just a matter that when people like West are available, you get them).

Now we just have to hope his name value brings us the stars, and if not, hope that they don't mess up our cap space and dig us deeper into a hole in the future.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject:

SuperNutZ wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:

please don't tell me you actually...

MVP tears, must be... the onions
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15
Jump to: