D'Angelo Russell thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Still think we won that trade though you can argue it was accidental because no one expected Kuzma to be as good as he is.
We got LeBron and Kuzma though, thanks to that trade. I mean definitely cant complain about that. Its a win win trade.

That's what people who have mediocre expectations from this FO would like to believe. Bron came alone and the cap space has been used on one year rentals. I don't rate Kuzma very highly either. Tunnel vision, poor 3pt shooter, already 23 and can't defend. He's 6"9 Clarkson and people act like he was a can't miss prospect at #27 when we also had #28 from Lou trade. We somehow manage to suck even with Bron lol.

I agree with 6'9 Clarkson. Hes a volume scorer. Great find at the bottom of first but he is best as offensive weapon off bench on a good team
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Honestly, I gotta apologize to GoldenThroat and many others that stuck up for D'Lo because I never thought he'd amount to much but booooooy did he become some player. Woah.
I mean wooooooah.
Sure we got Kuzma out of that trade and contracts we unloaded helped us get LeBron so not much you can say, even in hindsight thats the trade you do but Nets cant really complain either.

If we kept the kids the team we would have had, DLo, Lonzo, BI and Randle. Theres no shooting on that team which is obviously a problem so the team would need to be more balanced but anyhow, cant look back. We got LeBron and Kuzma.

Still, D'Lo is becoming an all star caliber. Good for him. Personally didnt see it in him but ya, he is some player now.

Kuzma isn't on the team as a result of trading Russell.

We had the 27th pick because of the Russell trade, and the 28th pick because of the Lou Williams trade. Kuzma was taken with the 27th pick. Brooklyn GM Sean Marks has already said that Kuzma wasn't on their radar at #27, but even if you wanted to absolutely ensure that he's there the cost of moving up from #28 to #27 is a future second round pick - not a D'Angelo Russell.

With good management, both Russell and Kuzma would've been Lakers. Along with Lonzo, BI, Randle, & Zubac.

This.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Magic was going to move DLo for pennies on the dollar. This salary dump (bleep) is just an excuse. If neither Lonzo nor Kuzma become all-star players, Magic is gonna look like a dumb mfer and get fired.

This is absolutely right. The Lakers felt like they had two problems:

1) We don't like what this Russell kid is about and we don't need him since we're gonna draft Lonzo Ball, so we should get rid of him.

2) We have to get rid of Mozgov or Deng ASAP.

So finding a deal where they could do both was a no-brainer for them. The problem is that they were wrong about both of those things.

I honestly had a small hope that Pelinka won't belittle DLO's potential given he represented Harden and knows what OKC did. But now I don't even know what his role is in the FO.

i honestly dont think Magic trades DLO for the fun of it if there wasnt a need to shed salary for the FO's plans to sign elite players in the future. His after trade comments were just showmanship to help buy public support on his moves... he couldnt have possibly hated DLO that much.

Loyalty to Showtime runs deep
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
i honestly dont think Magic trades DLO for the fun of it if there wasnt a need to shed salary for the FO's plans to sign elite players in the future. His after trade comments were just showmanship to help buy public support on his moves... he couldnt have possibly hated DLO that much.

Disagree. Byron is one of Magic's best friends. You think Byron wasn't poisoning that well?

The Lakers were calling around and asking for a late lottery pick from someone before the Mozgov/Brooklyn deal popped up. They were moving him either way. They were going to take Lonzo at #2 and thought that made Russell redundant. Because they are dumb. They're also cool guys with charisma and I hope that's enough to get a second max guy here as a free agent and overcome the dumb.

Makes me respect Mitch even more. He could have easily drafted Okafor thinking we already have JC as PG after his rookie season. He went for the BPA. Meanwhile Maginka couldn't see ZO-DLO would be a nice fit in the backcourt. That's like the best passing back court meanwhile DLo could carry the scoring load and ZO would find him easier shots.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Does a healthy LeBron and 2019 DLO get us to the WCF against the Warriors this year?

I say yes.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Imagine if Luke was Dlo's first coach and not Byron. Is he still a Laker in that alternate universe? I think so. Though I still have no idea whether Luke was a strong supporter of him or not - he kind of straddled the fence, probably didn't have a voice in the matter either way.

But Byron was the main reason Dlo's image soured to begin with in the eyes of some fans, media, and most importantly Magic. He wasn't a perfect player, but did more than enough to show his value and potential as a rookie. Now Dlo himself probably had a bit of the blame there, because there were some maturity issues that first year, but how much can you put on a 19-year old kid for acting out when he had to go through the KFT circus amidst a 17-win season while making the transition to the NBA with the coach publicly dragging you through the mud and benching you? And that's before getting to the Nick Young incident.

The rest is on Magic and Rob for letting emotions get in the way and not putting enough weight on that second season where Dlo showed clear statistical (and by the mythical eye test) improvement, especially after the All-Star break around the time they took over. Every single rationale they made for the trade didn't work out. Magic needed a leader? Yeah, because 21-year old leaders grow on trees and Zo and BI have done so well in that role We were getting Zo, so we didn't need another guard? Yeah, because having too many talented guards, especially when their skillsets don't even overlap and actually are complementary, is such a huge problem And we needed the cap space for two max FAs?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

It was poor scouting.

I (and many others) thought Lonzo would be a poor defender. That was a rationale I heard that DLO/Lonzo backcourt couldn't defend anyone. Turns out Lonzo's defense is his calling card.

The two would actually fit pretty seamlessly.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Still think we won that trade though you can argue it was accidental because no one expected Kuzma to be as good as he is.
We got LeBron and Kuzma though, thanks to that trade. I mean definitely cant complain about that. Its a win win trade.

That's what people who have mediocre expectations from this FO would like to believe. Bron came alone and the cap space has been used on one year rentals. I don't rate Kuzma very highly either. Tunnel vision, poor 3pt shooter, already 23 and can't defend. He's 6"9 Clarkson and people act like he was a can't miss prospect at #27 when we also had #28 from Lou trade. We somehow manage to suck even with Bron lol.

I agree with 6'9 Clarkson. Hes a volume scorer. Great find at the bottom of first but he is best as offensive weapon off bench on a good team

There was a stat out that among guys scoring 19 ppg or more, only Klay Thompson had a lower ratio of touches to points than Kuzma. His gift is precisely that he fits next to guys who create opportunities for him to score. His defense leaves much to be desired right now, but when the Lakers were clicking he was OK. He's a valuable piece.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Does a healthy LeBron and 2019 DLO get us to the WCF against the Warriors this year?

I say yes.

Not sure Dlo has the freedom to be the best version of himself in Luke's "offense" with Lebron having the ball so much and lack of spacing. He would help, no doubt, but his talent would be wasted on this team.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

I say yes.

Not sure Dlo has the freedom to be the best version of himself in Luke's "offense" with Lebron having the ball so much and lack of spacing. He would help, no doubt, but his talent would be wasted on this team.

The ball really doesn't stick in his hands at all. He'd fit in seamlessly imo.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

I say yes.

Russell would approximate Kyrie Irving's role when they were together. It'd give LeBron someone to go "your turn, my turn" with, along with someone who could knock down the open shots that LeBron creates.

Russell isn't as good as Kyrie is, but they're stylistically similar and LeBron's already thrived alongside that type of guy.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
drew.
‏@NBAYoungDrew
Following Following @NBAYoungDrew
More

D’Angelo Russell has played 94 minutes in what the NBA defines as “the clutch” (under 5 minutes, under a 5 point game)

In those 94 minutes hes

-29/60 from the field 48.3%
-11/29 from the 3 point line 37.9%
-10/13 from the line 76.9%

https://twitter.com/NBAYoungDrew/status/1096167053348634626

https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=FGA&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
Quote:
drew.
‏@NBAYoungDrew
More

D’Angelo Russell has played 94 minutes in what the NBA defines as “the clutch” (under 5 minutes, under a 5 point game)

In those 94 minutes hes

https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=FGA&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=Totals
Ice.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

I say yes.

Russell would approximate Kyrie Irving's role when they were together. It'd give LeBron someone to go "your turn, my turn" with, along with someone who could knock down the open shots that LeBron creates.

Russell isn't as good as Kyrie is, but they're stylistically similar and LeBron's already thrived alongside that type of guy.

I know...I'd just prefer to assume we would've (bleep) it up anyway for my sanity...

Tough time to be a Lakers' fan right now.

Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

King of NY

The buzz has started.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
Quote:
drew.
‏@NBAYoungDrew
More

In those 94 minutes hes

Icy...

Am I the only one looking at the East standings thinking if the Pacers can somehow win just enough to hold on to the 3 spot, the Nets could win a round?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Imagine if Luke was Dlo's first coach and not Byron. Is he still a Laker in that alternate universe? I think so. Though I still have no idea whether Luke was a strong supporter of him or not - he kind of straddled the fence, probably didn't have a voice in the matter either way.

But Byron was the main reason Dlo's image soured to begin with in the eyes of some fans, media, and most importantly Magic. He wasn't a perfect player, but did more than enough to show his value and potential as a rookie. Now Dlo himself probably had a bit of the blame there, because there were some maturity issues that first year, but how much can you put on a 19-year old kid for acting out when he had to go through the KFT circus amidst a 17-win season while making the transition to the NBA with the coach publicly dragging you through the mud and benching you? And that's before getting to the Nick Young incident.

The rest is on Magic and Rob for letting emotions get in the way and not putting enough weight on that second season where Dlo showed clear statistical (and by the mythical eye test) improvement, especially after the All-Star break around the time they took over. Every single rationale they made for the trade didn't work out. Magic needed a leader? Yeah, because 21-year old leaders grow on trees and Zo and BI have done so well in that role We were getting Zo, so we didn't need another guard? Yeah, because having too many talented guards, especially when their skillsets don't even overlap and actually are complementary, is such a huge problem And we needed the cap space for two max FAs?

Imagine if D'Antoni had been Russell's first coach.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
If the draft was redone today, how would you guys pick the top five?

Russell goes no later than third. Towns still goes first. Whether or not Russell still goes second depends on your opinion of who will be better between him Porzingis.

If health isn't a factor, I think I would take Porzingis first. Towns is such a huge defensive liability and has been very underwhelming in his development these past two seasons. Assuming Porzingis does have long-term health problems, Towns goes first for now, but in the future it might look like Russell was the real #1 guy...

Strange how Mudiay was once a comparable prospect to Russell but is now clearly not even in the same conversation.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
KBH wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Russell goes no later than third. Towns still goes first. Whether or not Russell still goes second depends on your opinion of who will be better between him Porzingis.

If health isn't a factor, I think I would take Porzingis first. Towns is such a huge defensive liability and has been very underwhelming in his development these past two seasons. Assuming Porzingis does have long-term health problems, Towns goes first for now, but in the future it might look like Russell was the real #1 guy...

Strange how Mudiay was once a comparable prospect to Russell but is now clearly not even in the same conversation.
Lmao Mudiay. That was funny.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
KBH wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Towns is awesome. I'd trade a lot to get him. Not that he's available, but yeah. And his defense isn't as bad as you think it is. Oh, and he's literally never missed a game in his career: 303 for 303.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

There was a stat out that among guys scoring 19 ppg or more, only Klay Thompson had a lower ratio of touches to points than Kuzma. His gift is precisely that he fits next to guys who create opportunities for him to score. His defense leaves much to be desired right now, but when the Lakers were clicking he was OK. He's a valuable piece.

I do think that he is a valuable piece but I think best off the bench in Lou type role
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

I do think that he is a valuable piece but I think best off the bench in Lou type role

Lou is a get his own guy. Kuz plays most efficiently off of good scorers.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject:

But Klay's value would be significantly lower if his defense and 3P shooting was like Kuzma. Kuz's value will depend on whether he can get back 3P shooting of last year. He has skills in the paint and is very good in transition, but he's not gonna be good or elite in so many facets. Like handles, ability to create his own in the half court, vision, defense. and below average 3P shooting this season. Klay has 3P and defense at an elite level. For Kuz, I only see him developing 3P in coming years given his age and where his skills are with passing and handles right now.
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject:

I was a D'lo guy, but fact of the matter is that trade pushed him to work harder. By most accounts, he wasn't the hardest worker while in LA, was too hooked on the LA lifestyle (see dating a Kardashian), and oh yeah, had that snitch tape.

If D'lo doesn't get traded, don't think he'd be as good as he is now, and also if Levert doesn't get hurt, doubt D'lo would have made the ASG. Would he be our second best player? Good chance, though probably same level as Kuz and BI.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject:

LakersDC wrote:
I was a D'lo guy, but fact of the matter is that trade pushed him to work harder. By most accounts, he wasn't the hardest worker while in LA, was too hooked on the LA lifestyle (see dating a Kardashian), and oh yeah, had that snitch tape.

If D'lo doesn't get traded, don't think he'd be as good as he is now, and also if Levert doesn't get hurt, doubt D'lo would have made the ASG. Would he be our second best player? Good chance, though probably same level as Kuz and BI.

DLo didn't date any Kardashian. It was JC who dated Kendall. DLO dated a USC volleyball player and another black girl after they broke up. And secondly, he lives in NY now not in Utah so it's not like lifestyle can't be a distraction. He had knee issues in his 2nd season at LA and still showed signs that he can takeover in clutch. Averaged 16+ points and Luke himself pointed this out after the trade that he can be an all star. That he's playing like this in a injury free 4th year is no surprise. Besides you admit this is due to his hardwork so it is not like he got some super power after LeVert got injured. He has the ability to carry that team and if anything, it's a plus that he didn't let them crumble after LeVert injury.

He was drafted as a 19 year old. KFT in first season, Lakers started the 2nd season well until his knee injury. Reality is that Lakers have been even more immature than these kids in understanding that development doesn't happen overnight. And what's the plan if NO doesn't take the entire package of kids and first round picks this summer?

Last edited by saetarubia on Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 54 of 100
Jump to: