True Detective
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject:

I am posting without looking what others have said about season three.

I'm through 3 episodes. Is this slow or what? I mean it is moving so slow, I think I'm back to season 2. It does help with sleep though.

I'm sticking with it as it is well done and I do want to find out what happens.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject:

^^^definitely slow...kind of picking up a little now.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

I'm through 3 episodes. Is this slow or what? I mean it is moving so slow, I think I'm back to season 2. It does help with sleep though.

Yeah, episode 6 got pretty darn good. But it is really slow. I started a rewatch from episode 1, figured I was through about 3 episodes by the time I took a break...Nope, I was halfway through episode 2. Overall I am fairly confident it will rank in between seasons 1 and 2 and closer to season 1 than season 2. But thats personal preference because I didn't like season 2 all that much.

Last edited by dont_be_a_wuss on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Yeah, episode 6 got pretty darn good. But it is really slow. I started a rewatch from episode 1, figured I was through about 3 episodes by the time I took a break...Nope, I was halfway through episode 2. Overall I am fairly confident it will rank in between seasons 1 and 2 and closer to season 1 than season 2. But thats personal preference because I didn't like season 2 all that much.

I think that’s a fair ranking. It doesn’t have the riveting gravitas of season one, but its writing and acting are superior to season two. In many ways, I think of them as three distinctly different series bound by a name and a general concept.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject:

I thought the actors in season 1 made the series. Season 2 didn't have actors that compared to 1. Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff are closer to Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson than Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn. I didn't particularly like season 2.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I thought the actors in season 1 made the series. Season 2 didn't have actors that compared to 1. Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff are closer to Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson than Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn. I didn't particularly like season 2.

So very dude of you (or maybe just the opposite?), but you neglect to mention Rachel McAdams. This was arguably her strongest role to date.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:

So very dude of you (or maybe just the opposite?), but you neglect to mention Rachel McAdams. This was arguably her strongest role to date.

So very dude of you (or maybe just the opposite?) I also neglected to mention all other members of the cast. In my best Martin Lawrence voice WHAT DA PROBLEM IS?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I think of them as three distinctly different series bound by a name and a general concept.

definitely.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject:

Sooooo,

Father Tom & Lt West? Gay lovers? Or at the very least, sympathize with each others gay tendencies??? Former State Patrol Officer Harris? Gay complicitor?? Hmm....

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Sooooo,

Father Tom & Lt West? Gay lovers? Or at the very least, sympathize with each others gay tendencies??? Former State Patrol Officer Harris? Gay complicitor?? Hmm....

How did you come up with West being or displaying gay tendencies?

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Sooooo,

A long shot in the dark:

1) When they were looking through Tom's house after the "freakout" call from Julie insinuating that Tom wasn't her father, they found a pamphlet that read 'You can teach homosexuality away'.

2) Tom never really seemed to be hurt by Lucy's constant cheating in a visceral way the way a man normally would be (ie, he was ok with the cheating since he was never interested in sex with her in the 1st place)

3) Hay's had a prior dream that he and his wife met West and his wife for dinner, but we later find out that West was never married (nor is there ever a love interest for him throughout the show)

4) Every time Tom feels pressured by the cops, he specifically asks for West, and talks to West in a very personal manner along the lines of "come on West, it's me. You can't believe I'd have done what they're suggesting."

4) Every time something seems to implicate Tom, West goes far out of his way to protect him. He also kept following up with West to make sure he was always OK, beyond what seemed to just be "professional".

5) When West and Hay's were questioning former State Trooper Harris, West hurriedly ended the questioning when Harris made his little remark to Hays that "He had a good looking body" and demurely smiled at him.

Based on what we've seen to date, and taking a VERY LONG SHOT, my current operating theory is:

a) Tom accepted money from Harris to send the little boy to the woods. Tom, Harris, and West all knew one another too be gay because at that time in the south, one couldn't risk people knowing they were gay, so a close knit gay community looked out for each other and kept each others secret(s).

Again, a VERY LONG SHOT in the dark and I'm just spitballing at this juncture, but it is a storyline that would track with what we've seen thus far. And would also track with the "planted" backpack. (I've also a sneaky suspicion that when "Future West and Hays have thier talk about 'What they did", that what it was is they killed former trooper Harris once they became certain he was the guilty party)

We'll see how outrageously wrong my guess was in the coming week.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Sooooo,

A long shot in the dark:

1) When they were looking through Tom's house after the "freakout" call from Julie insinuating that Tom wasn't her father, they found a pamphlet that read 'You can teach homosexuality away'.

2) Tom never really seemed to be hurt by Lucy's constant cheating in a visceral way the way a man normally would be (ie, he was ok with the cheating since he was never interested in sex with her in the 1st place)

3) Hay's had a prior dream that he and his wife met West and his wife for dinner, but we later find out that West was never married (nor is there ever a love interest for him throughout the show)

4) Every time Tom feels pressured by the cops, he specifically asks for West, and talks to West in a very personal manner along the lines of "come on West, it's me. You can't believe I'd have done what they're suggesting."

4) Every time something seems to implicate Tom, West goes far out of his way to protect him. He also kept following up with West to make sure he was always OK, beyond what seemed to just be "professional".

5) When West and Hay's were questioning former State Trooper Harris, West hurriedly ended the questioning when Harris made his little remark to Hays that "He had a good looking body" and demurely smiled at him.

Based on what we've seen to date, and taking a VERY LONG SHOT, my current operating theory is:

a) Tom accepted money from Harris to send the little boy to the woods. Tom, Harris, and West all knew one another too be gay because at that time in the south, one couldn't risk people knowing they were gay, so a close knit gay community looked out for each other and kept each others secret(s).

Again, a VERY LONG SHOT in the dark and I'm just spitballing at this juncture, but it is a storyline that would track with what we've seen thus far. And would also track with the "planted" backpack. (I've also a sneaky suspicion that when "Future West and Hays have thier talk about 'What they did", that what it was is they killed former trooper Harris once they became certain he was the guilty party)

We'll see how outrageously wrong my guess was in the coming week.

2 screening hours to culmination. We shall see said the blind man

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Well, we know what they did in the woods that they didn't want found out.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:

I think someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread but Old Hays wasn't dreaming. He was recalling a time back in the 1990 when he and Amelia had dinner at West's house. At the time, West was living with the woman he met at the church back in 1980 (Lori) but they weren't married. We know this because Hays asked, "So when's the big day?" which implied they hadn't set a date for a wedding. Lori and and West uncomfortably avoided the question before Amelia turned the conversation to the investigation and ended up angering Hays. That could be why he didn't recall West and Lori weren't married.

Earlier in that scene Hays joked about West's inability to commit which might have been the reason he and Lori never got married. That doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong about West's preferences but the events revealed in tonight's episode may have also played a part as to why West basically cut himself off from everyone. We've seen Hays try to shut out Amelia but maybe the difference is that they were married and had children together.

Nice nod to S1 and Det. Hart in tonight's episode. I've gotta go back and watch that season again.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

yeah, still going to have to tie up a lot of loose ends in one final episode
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

...and they made it even harder to tie them up by starting a new timeline with Hays taking his daughter to college. I'm guessing it's about 10-12 years before the Old Hays timeline. Curious to know why it's important to the overall story. We know his adult daughter moved to CA and had lost contact with Old Hays. I could have lived without knowing why or details like why West never married.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

...and they made it even harder to tie them up by starting a new timeline with Hays taking his daughter to college. I'm guessing it's about 10-12 years before the Old Hays timeline. Curious to know why it's important to the overall story. We know his adult daughter moved to CA and had lost contact with Old Hays. I could have lived without knowing why or details like why West never married.

I can too. His connection to any community I saw was his dislike for pedophiles. Their killing the pedo was what I thought they may have not wanted discovered in the woods. I still want to know what happened to him. Last I saw he was in the trunk of their car and mention to the teacher she wouldn't see him again.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I can too. His connection to any community I saw was his dislike for pedophiles. Their killing the pedo was what I thought they may have not wanted discovered in the woods. I still want to know what happened to him. Last I saw he was in the trunk of their car and mention to the teacher she wouldn't see him again.

I'm guessing what they meant was they ran him out of town and the death threat was just another misdirection to make us believe he was the past sin they committed. That's why we had to wait until ep 7 to find out who they actually buried in the woods. That guy hasn't figured into any other part of the story since that scene.

I don't know why HBO insists on sticking to this 8 episode format. Cost savings? I noticed most of their newer series are also 8 episodes. Must make it hell on the writers.

Last edited by numero-ocho on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

yeah, I noticed the 4th timeline
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm guessing what they meant was they ran him out of town and the death threat was just another misdirection to make us believe he was the past sin they committed. That's why we had to wait until ep 9 to find out who they actually buried in the woods. That guy hasn't figured into any other part of the story since that scene.

I don't know why HBO insists on sticking to this 8 episode format. Cost savings? I noticed most of their newer series are also 8 episodes. Must make it hell on the writers.

They did a good job with the misdirection. There has been some symbolism of that barn in some paintings in the houses or offices that had some people suspecting it was Ted because they took him to that barn, but then they took Harris to the same one.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm guessing what they meant was they ran him out of town and the death threat was just another misdirection to make us believe he was the past sin they committed. That's why we had to wait until ep 9 to find out who they actually buried in the woods. That guy hasn't figured into any other part of the story since that scene.

They did a good job with the misdirection. There has been some symbolism of that barn in some paintings in the houses or offices that had some people suspecting it was Ted because they took him to that barn, but then they took Harris to the same one.

Totally missed that. I did notice one of the dolls they found when they were searching for the kids was a bride that looked very similar to how Lucy appeared in her and Tom's wedding photo at their house. I don't know if it was just my reading into it but that one turned out to be true.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm guessing what they meant was they ran him out of town and the death threat was just another misdirection to make us believe he was the past sin they committed. That's why we had to wait until ep 7 to find out who they actually buried in the woods. That guy hasn't figured into any other part of the story since that scene.

How are you watching episode 9 in an 8 episode format?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It was a oversight. Note the edit.

numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

My bad. Jodeke pointed that out to me as well. I meant episode 7.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject:

I'm really enjoying this season. Ali and Dorff are outstanding. When its over I'm going to rewatch the whole season just to see all the things that went over my head. I'm sure its a lot of stuff lol.

I'm curious about the guy with one eye. Its too obvious to have him be part of the crime, so who the hell is he and how did nobody find him after like 35 years?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24
Jump to: