D'Angelo Russell thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I dedicate this picture to years of dumb arguments on LG. Without your terrible takes, this would have still been possible.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dzpp-CFXQAAwJxt.jpg

WillSmithDamn.gif

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

I have come to terms with the DLO trade. Lets be honest our franchise has different expectations and we should put things in perspective

is he going to be a good player? possible multiple All-Stars maybe?
is he going to be a hall of fame or championship level PG, who knows

theres are a lot of good players, all stars league wide

Lets not forget he plays in the East

I imagine DLO to have a Mike Conley type of career, which is good, but will he ever be a starting level champion?

Lets be honest if he were in the west he wouldn't be an all star. Look at Demar Derozen. Mike Conley on the Nets would be a multi-time all star,
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
I have come to terms with the DLO trade. Lets be honest our franchise has different expectations and we should put things in perspective

I imagine DLO to have a Mike Conley type of career, which is good, but will he ever be a starting level champion?

Lets be honest if he were in the west he wouldn't be an all star. Look at Demar Derozen. Mike Conley on the Nets would be a multi-time all star,

So this applies to guys like BI/Lonzo.

Unlike them, he's been able to make an all star team, even if as an injury reserve.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:

So based on your criteria, who on the Lakers can be a starting level champion?

Also just for perspective, look at what Conley and Derozan were doing at age 22-23. Dlo will be 23 in a week.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject:

This (bleep) is comical at this point.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:

Denial much?
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject:

D'angelo compares very favorably to some of his player comps in their age 22 seasons (Harden, Lillard, Conley, Kyrie, etc...)
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject:

If Russell didn't have history here and were a UFA for some reason, what price would make you balk? I feel like if he doesn't have another jump then his next contract will be an overpay.

There's no reason to think he won't have a jump necessarily, but I wonder what people would be OK paying him given it's an uncertainty.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
If Russell didn't have history here and were a UFA for some reason, what price would make you balk? I feel like if he doesn't have another jump then his next contract will be an overpay.

There's no reason to think he won't have a jump necessarily, but I wonder what people would be OK paying him given it's an uncertainty.

It looks like a lock that he will be a 25 ppg player now so you dont balk at anything IMO.
He is not quite a max player yet but given his age and development I'd say its a pretty safe bet to make.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

I'd still be wary that this recent shooting improvement is a blip so I'd want him on a sub-max deal to hedge my bets. The Victor Oladipo deal would be my goal in signing DLo this summer.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:

Look at Butler. West All Star last season and best player on Minny. 3rd best on Philly and not even an All Star.

And Conley can easily be a starter on a championship team. Let's not forget how well he played against Spurs in playoffs couple of seasons ago. KL being KL won that round for Spurs. He'd just need KD/Bron type generational talent and another all star like it's the trend nowadays. Kevin Love was a 3rd option on a championship team without being a consistent performer in finals.

Anyways, DLO is not similar to Conley. I can easily see DLO having multiple seasons scoring 25 and averaging 7 assists in his prime. Conley is 14.7 pts career scorer and averaged 20 points in a season once. So it's a pointless comparison. Conley averaged 13.7 in his 4th season(9, 10.9, 12 in his first three), DLO 20+ in his fourth. He was averaging 13+ as a rookie itself. Conley career assist average is 5.7 as well so not like his scoring average is down due to playmaking. Conley was underrated(until he got the overrated deal), but DLO's potential and production this season at 22 is on another level offensively compared to Conley even in the majority of his prime years.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject:

We crapped the bed on this one.

No doubt Magic sided with Byron over this, and the Swaggy thing was the final bullet they used to get rid of him.

Oh well.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
BlackStarMamba wrote:

Look at Butler. West All Star last season and best player on Minny. 3rd best on Philly and not even an All Star.

And Conley can easily be a starter on a championship team. Let's not forget how well he played against Spurs in playoffs couple of seasons ago. KL being KL won that round for Spurs. He'd just need KD/Bron type generational talent and another all star like it's the trend nowadays. Kevin Love was a 3rd option on a championship team without being a consistent performer in finals.

Anyways, DLO is not similar to Conley. I can easily see DLO having multiple seasons scoring 25 and averaging 7 assists in his prime. Conley is 14.7 pts career scorer and averaged 20 points in a season once. So it's a pointless comparison. Conley averaged 13.7 in his 4th season(9, 10.9, 12 in his first three), DLO 20+ in his fourth. He was averaging 13+ as a rookie itself. Conley career assist average is 5.7 as well so not like his scoring average is down due to playmaking. Conley was underrated(until he got the overrated deal), but DLO's potential and production this season at 22 is on another level offensively compared to Conley even in the majority of his prime years.

Not to mention that Mike Conley may go down as the best player to never make an All-Star team.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

No doubt Magic sided with Byron over this, and the Swaggy thing was the final bullet they used to get rid of him.

Oh well.

The long-term implications for this front office are what's concerning.

Notice how we don't hear anything about conditioning anymore now that Lebron and the vets are here. But when Magic and Pelinka took over that was all we heard about to the point of LG.com analyzing leaked images of players' voluntary workouts like they were the damn Zapruder film. Think that might've been a pretense to target the young guys Maginka wanted to get rid of?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Oh well.

Notice how we don't hear anything about conditioning anymore now that Lebron and the vets are here. But when Magic and Pelinka took over that was all we heard about to the point of LG.com analyzing leaked images of players' voluntary workouts like they were the damn Zapruder film. Think that might've been a pretense to target the young guys Maginka wanted to get rid of?

That 7% body fat thing reeked of "I have nothing else."
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Oh well.

I think that was ok to do for the younger guys, gave them a goal for that summer.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Oh well.

Agreed. Jesus, was that dumb.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Oh well.

Oh, it's worse. Our whole ethos last year was:

1. "we're gonna run and run..."
2. "we'll all be under 7% body fat..."
D. Sharp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Oh well.

Even worse, I think Randle took that to heart too.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

D. Sharp wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Oh well.

Randle went above and beyond everything they asked of him, and they literally had to be forced to reward him for it.

Just shows how this new FO operates. They give you a brass ring, and when you reach it, you're punished. They're Vince McMahon without the attitude era to fall back on.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:

D. Sharp wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Oh well.

The irony is that Magic played with the rest of the doughboys from the 80s. Not one of the Showtime mafia were even remotely close to 10%. Zero definition.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject:

well lets say we still had DLO... we would be letting him walk to sign a more elite prospect anyway
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
well lets say we still had DLO... we would be letting him walk to sign a more elite prospect anyway

Well, if we get a top FA this summer, Maginka have done a great job. No one said otherwise. If we don't, what's the situation? Offer all the kids and draft picks and hope Pels trade AD to us? Will Bron be happy to punt another season and wait for AD in 2020? Even then, things could change if he's traded elsewhere like what happened with PG 13. This summer will be key due to so many scenarios.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
but will he ever be a starting level champion?

I'm not sure what you mean by "starting level champion."

Is he good enough to be a starter on a ring team and make a major contributor to a ring? Sure.

Is he good enough to be the #1 or #2 guy on a ring team? Probably not.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 58 of 100
Jump to: