empire actor allegedly attacked in hate crime (all charges dropped against smollett)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
We are all seeking entertainment, and the Smollett story is the much more entertaining than the Coast Guard dude.
No one started a thread because we couldn’t find much to discuss.
What is the counter argument?

We have barely any idea who his

Targets were

Motive

Any accomplices or networks of White Trumpacists preparing with him

You're saying it wasn't a dramatic event because he was captured and
There isn't any confusion other than another Trump supporter
Either killed or planned to murder a bunch of Innocents?

No cover-up , just not entertaining?
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
We are all seeking entertainment, and the Smollett story is the much more entertaining than the Coast Guard dude.

Targets were

Motive

He is in the Coast Guard, so I’d expect something less than a free flow of information, but Big Brother isn’t preventing anyone here from starting a thread to discuss it.
Yet no thread.
Why not?

I am hypothesizing that we have yet to find something interesting enough to warrant one. What say you?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Also, terrorists are page six material now, unfortunately, especially when nobody was hurt. Celebrity + hate crime is a unique combo, and the lying twist shot it into the stratosphere with the force of a thousand tucker carlsons.

Everyone knows Smollett’s name.

I haven’t seen anyone call the white supremacist terrorist anything other than The Coast Guard Guy. That pretty much gets to the core of it.

The core being near unanimous agreement?

Not sure what you are trying to get at, but it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the point I'm making.
Which is...?

If your insistence on being needlessly obtuse is preventing you from seeing it, there's no point in me elaborating on it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Also, terrorists are page six material now, unfortunately, especially when nobody was hurt. Celebrity + hate crime is a unique combo, and the lying twist shot it into the stratosphere with the force of a thousand tucker carlsons.

Everyone knows Smollett’s name.

I haven’t seen anyone call the white supremacist terrorist anything other than The Coast Guard Guy. That pretty much gets to the core of it.

The core being near unanimous agreement?

Not sure what you are trying to get at, but it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the point I'm making.
Which is...?

If your insistence on being needlessly obtuse is preventing you from seeing it, there's no point in me elaborating on it.
I am not aware of something from our shared history that would lead you to conclude that I am choosing to be needlessly obtuse. I genuinely invite you to make your point.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

Interestingly enough, throughout the investigation, Foxnews.com didn't give Smollett top billing on its front page until the day that CPD announced Jussie as their suspect. THE major boogeyman on Foxnews.com on most of those days?

AoC aNd ThE GrEeN NeW dEaL!

that is almost as interesting as MSNBC not mentioning Smollett's name during their primetime lineup during the 48 hours that the story appeared to unravel as a hoax.....after giving it heavy coverage in those time slots when it appeared to be two white guys in MAGA hats committing a hate crime.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Well, come on. For the usual suspects this story was like Christmas.

Omar Little wrote:
You've already seen the collateral damage in this very thread. The right collects and brings up these types of case whenever an accusation or conversation comes up about hate crimes. Deny, minimize, obfuscate.

the irony is you represent the "usual suspects"....as soon as this story did not break the way you preferred, we have pages of taking shots at "the other side" for actions that are nowhere to be found in this thread......just hard left ideologues attempting to minimize and obfuscate a story about Jussie Smollett with discussion about some racist member of the coast guard.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:

Omar Little wrote:
You've already seen the collateral damage in this very thread. The right collects and brings up these types of case whenever an accusation or conversation comes up about hate crimes. Deny, minimize, obfuscate.

the irony is you represent the "usual suspects"....as soon as this story did not break the way you preferred, we have pages of taking shots at "the other side" for actions that are nowhere to be found in this thread......just hard left ideologues attempting to minimize and obfuscate a story about Jussie Smollett with discussion about some racist member of the coast guard.

lol I'm pretty sure you haven't seen me discuss this at all, let alone "for pages". I have no preference for how this story played out other than to wish it didn't happen at all (which also would have been my preference if it was real). But at least be honest with yourself that you LOVE this story. So much so that you knew you were one of the people I was talking about without me having to name you.

Last edited by ocho on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

My interest in this story is because I'm a fan of Empire. If not for that I probably would have viewed and moved on.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject:

desensitization of gun violence
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ocho wrote:

Omar Little wrote:

lol I'm pretty sure you haven't seen me discuss this at all, let alone "for pages". I have no preference for how this story played out other than to wish it didn't happen at all (which also would have been my preference if it was real). But at least be honest with yourself that you LOVE this story. So much so that you knew you were one of the people I was talking about without me having to name you.

The main difference is disgust (when it seemed like it was real, and a different disgust when it seems like it isn’t) vs glee.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Targets were

Motive

He is in the Coast Guard, so I’d expect something less than a free flow of information, but Big Brother isn’t preventing anyone here from starting a thread to discuss it.
Yet no thread.
Why not?

I am hypothesizing that we have yet to find something interesting enough to warrant one. What say you?

True and sort of like really weird

IDC much for any entertainment television and did get more caught up
In the drama with the
Homosexual relations
Race relations
Ooh big lies
MAGA Hats
Etc

I know they haven't stopped me and others from talking more about it, CG Guy, but it does "Feel" like they have pushed it off the news quickly
He was captured on a Friday iirc and no media attention til a few days later

I consider him to be "One of The Presidents Men" Very fine person

Biggest reason I'd communicate about the case is to hope people see causation through hate speech from Trump.

It's not easy to deal with hating Trump this much.

How is Trump a better person than Reagan and Kennedy
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
just hard left ideologues attempting to minimize and obfuscate a story about Jussie Smollett with discussion about some racist member of the coast guard.

That's so (bleep) rich with irony we could eliminate the national deficit. Talk about minimizing and obfuscating. Christopher Hasson isn't just some "racist member of the Coast Guard". Hasson is a guy who was planning a large scale act of domestic terrorism with the intent of killing dozens of innocent lives and who had the equipment, training and arsenal to actually do it. He's not some blowhard spewing epithets on a Twitter account.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I am not aware of something from our shared history that would lead you to conclude that I am choosing to be needlessly obtuse. I genuinely invite you to make your point.

Sorry, I just don't see how it isn't blatantly clear from the conversation and what started it what the point is.

The media, and much of those who consume it, have a really screwed up sense of priorities in regards to what they hone in on and how they portray it.

Do you not agree that focusing on a black celebrity who allegedly faked a potential hate crime, but ultimately hurt no one, versus an avowed White Supremacist with a large arsenal of weapons and was plotting an attack of domestic terrorism with the intent of causing mass casualties is a very much a troubling problem?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Sorry, I just don't see how it isn't blatantly clear from the conversation and what started it what the point is.

The media, and much of those who consume it, have a really screwed up sense of priorities in regards to what they hone in on and how they portray it.

Do you not agree that focusing on a black celebrity who allegedly faked a potential hate crime, but ultimately hurt no one, versus an avowed White Supremacist with a large arsenal of weapons and was plotting an attack of domestic terrorism with the intent of causing mass casualties is a very much a troubling problem?

It is a problem but not really anything surprising. The mediai for last two decades now has been about hte views and now clicks. The public is always going to gravitate towards the salacious. It's not some indictment of the way things are...it's been like this for awhile
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

West palm beach VA Hospital shooting, no news. Desensitized
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
governator wrote:

West palm beach VA Hospital shooting, no news. Desensitized

Shootings becoming ho hum. .

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I don't believe the media has a sense of priorities as it pertains to morality. Their goal is to sell advertising and what they hone in on and how they portray it is geared to appeal to those who consume it.

DaMuleRules wrote:

The fact that celeb gossip draws more attention than domestic terrorism is an indictment of humanity. The media just holds the mirror.

Here are my thoughts on each:
Smollett - "What a shame. He seemed to have so much going for him. I wonder what he was in search of that money, success and fame didn't fulfill."
Hasson - "This is potentially one of the scariest stories in a very long time. Thank goodness he was stopped and I can't wait to learn what happened."
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject:

saw a poster advertisement today with Ryan Lochte in it, the olympic swimmer who made up a story of being robbed in Rio when he actually went on a drunken rampage and vandalized a bathroom.
You can argue these were similar actions yet Ryan's career wasnt ruined by the order.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
saw a poster advertisement today with Ryan Lochte in it, the olympic swimmer who made up a story of being robbed in Rio when he actually went on a drunken rampage and vandalized a bathroom.
You can argue these were similar actions yet Ryan's career wasnt ruined by the order.

Heterosexual/White. Homosexual/Black.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

You think it’s just that Jodeke, not because smollett claimed to be attacked due to his race?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

You think it’s just that Jodeke, not because smollett claimed to be attacked due to his race?

The difference between lying about an incident and actually staging the incident yourself and then lying about it to the police. I don't believe Lochte actually reported his fake robbery to the police. The police investigated after an interview in which he falsely claimed he was robbed. Smolett's agent actually called the police to report he was assaulted.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

No, I think race is just a part. If he'd been attacked by two White men I'd give it more swell. I believe his claim of being attacked because of his race takes a backseat to his sexual orientation. He said they shouted homosexual slurs. IMO homosexuality hasn't been fully embraced.

I was pointing out the differences between Smollett and Lochte linking them to Lochte getting a poster and believing Smollett won't.

Have You Ever Seen an Openly Gay Guy in an Outdoors Ad?

LINK

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

I think 3 things:

1) Ryan filed the false report in another country - so it’s up to that other country to deal with it. Anything that happens outside of the US we don’t really care as much.

2) Ryan’s case is closed. They let him off w/o punishment, he left the country and it’s over. Smollett’s case is still ongoing. We’ll see if they let him off here.

3) It’s more embarrassing when it happens here because it really plays out. When it happens in Brazil, it didn’t really play out. We just kind of knew that he filed a false report, he left the country and that was it. If it would have played out longer - like the Brazilian police charging him and keeping him in jail or in the country - maybe things would be different. Look at the case of LiAngelo Ball. That really played out. That was much more embarrassing than Lochte. Why? Because he was taken into custody and his punishment was up in the air. It really played out. We didn’t know what was going to happen to him just like we don’t know what’s going to happen to Smollett.

Basically, Smollett n LiAngelo Ball’s transgressions seem more serious than Lochte’s because Lochte got off pretty easily.

If Smollett was never charged and got off with a warning like Lochte, he might be treated similarly
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

No, I think race is just a part. If he'd been attacked by two White men I'd give it more swell. I believe his claim of being attacked because of his race takes a backseat to his sexual orientation. He said they shouted homosexual slurs. IMO homosexuality hasn't been fully embraced.

I was pointing out the differences between Smollett and Lochte linking them to Lochte getting a poster and believing Smollett won't.

Have You Ever Seen an Openly Gay Guy in an Outdoors Ad?

LINK

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Title updated to reflect current news.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 21 of 35
Jump to: