Did the Lakers Punt Too Soon on Julius Randle, D'Angelo Russell and Others?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
I was upset losing Randle for nothing, but it would be funny to see all the complaints here of our lack of spacing and shooting with BI, LBJ, and Randle all sharing the floor.

Fun stat along those lines:

3P% This Season:

Randle: 34.7% (2.2 per game)
Lebron: 34.7% (5.8 per game)
KCP: 34.3% (4.6 per game)
Hart: 33.3% (4.5 per game)
Ball: 32.9% (4.9 per game)
Ingram: 32.2% (1.8 per game)
Kuzma: 32% (6.1 per game)

He's also hitting 46.7% of his 10-16 footers, albeit in small volume. That's higher than anyone on our team other than Kuzma (47.6%) and Lance (50%). His shooting is coming around.

When you consider Randle at center would be in place of McGee and Chandler, I don't think that would have been a problem.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject:

people are making out JR to be more than what he really is. Yes he is putting up good numbers in NOLA but he is proving out to be the typical "good stats on bad team" type player that many have suspected. Even NOLA was willing to part ways with him after half a season.
You simply cannot build a championship team while giving a big chunk of your salary space to a player like Julius. We should have seen this coming and did a trade for something before he walked for nothing.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Would dlo have matured the way he has here? I dont think he would have it was best to part ways. Nets better at developing talent and he has no pressure there. Took levert having a freak accident for Nets to unleash Dlo. Randle was just a dumb move that we got nothing back, not even a 2nd rounder
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
No, DLO didn’t release the video. Perfect example of people buying the media slant no matter that it is false.

How else did it get uploaded? Did someone "hack him" because thats not that believable.

If this was a court case all the evidence would point to him uploading it regardless even if he says he didnt

So Nick knew Russell was recording. Russell said something like thanks for telling my phone all that. He laughed at the end of the video and shrugged it off. So basically they would record each other or take pictures of each other doing/saying dumb things. This isn’t uncommon.

And the video got uploaded initially to some gossip website, months later. The site said it got it from someone who knew Russell. He didn’t upload it onto YouTube or something. Ultimately it’s his fault it somehow got in the wrong hands, but no one cared about the nuance of the story. It was just more juicy to say he recorded him secretly and uploaded it himself.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
Would dlo have matured the way he has here? I dont think he would have it was best to part ways. Nets better at developing talent and he has no pressure there. Took levert having a freak accident for Nets to unleash Dlo. Randle was just a dumb move that we got nothing back, not even a 2nd rounder

I know you hated him, but all the numbers showed he was on a good trajectory. None of this is surprising.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
No, DLO didn’t release the video. Perfect example of people buying the media slant no matter that it is false.

How else did it get uploaded? Did someone "hack him" because thats not that believable.

If this was a court case all the evidence would point to him uploading it regardless even if he says he didnt

So Nick knew Russell was recording. Russell said something like thanks for telling my phone all that. He laughed at the end of the video and shrugged it off. So basically they would record each other or take pictures of each other doing/saying dumb things. This isn’t uncommon.

And the video got uploaded initially to some gossip website, months later. The site said it got it from someone who knew Russell. He didn’t upload it onto YouTube or something. Ultimately it’s his fault it somehow got in the wrong hands, but no one cared about the nuance of the story. It was just more juicy to say he recorded him secretly and uploaded it himself.

Do you really think Russell is innocent with this, or are you straight trolling? I have a bridge to sell you if you genuinely think he did not release this video.

How would his friend seen the video, yet alone get access to the video if Russell did not send it to him. Common man, apply some logic here....
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
akk7 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Do you really think Russell is innocent with this, or are you straight trolling? I have a bridge to sell you if you genuinely think he did not release this video.

How would his friend seen the video, yet alone get access to the video if Russell did not send it to him. Common man, apply some logic here....

Not what I said. Some people assumed he released it himself. That was a big time narrative.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

His ex girlfriend did it
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
akk7 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It was a girl he was seeing, who had some beef with Young's girlfriend.
cirehawk
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
people are making out JR to be more than what he really is. Yes he is putting up good numbers in NOLA but he is proving out to be the typical "good stats on bad team" type player that many have suspected. Even NOLA was willing to part ways with him after half a season.
You simply cannot build a championship team while giving a big chunk of your salary space to a player like Julius. We should have seen this coming and did a trade for something before he walked for nothing.

He put up numbers for us, and he's even better now. The "good stats on bad team type player" argument always baffles me. Was KG that type of player all those years he put up numbers on a bad T-Wolves team? Is AD that type of player on this bad NO team. JR is balling and I really wish we had kept him.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject:

cirehawk wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

He put up numbers for us, and he's even better now. The "good stats on bad team type player" argument always baffles me. Was KG that type of player all those years he put up numbers on a bad T-Wolves team? Is AD that type of player on this bad NO team. JR is balling and I really wish we had kept him.

Or by the same logic, is LeBron a good stats on bad team type player? Kobe in '04-'05?
If you're on a bad team you can either be a good stats on bad team player or you can be a bad stats on bad team player. So it's not exactly a bad thing.

Now the more interesting question is if he's an empty stats player, e.g. by not playing defense, but if that's the argument you're making then make that argument.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
youcantguardme wrote:
YSong wrote:
Kuz for DLo I can live with that.

Randle and his agent made it personal.

Move on

Thanks for some intelligence in the midst of complete stupidity by so many. Too many people throw out opinions that are based on wishes more than reality. The way that contracts work, they could have only kept all the young guys if you paid them. Keep DLo and Julius and you would have no LBJ and no hope for a second superstar and you wouldn't be winning either. Other than possibly BI, not one of the younger players is going to be the #1 option on a championship team. It's cute that Dlo was an all-star but there are several Pos in the west that weren't that are much better than he is. Julius is a very good role player at best.

Thank you, I am all for developing talented youngsters, but no title team has ever kept 5-7 of their draft picks as the majority of their rotational players, it's just not realistic. Fortunately we kept the best of all of them sans Dlo who I'd probably value right behind Ingram and Lonzo, but we can still make up his production with our cap space weather that's another max or good complimentary shooters. I've always felt that if you are running a team you have to optimize around who is the least replaceable. Very rarely do you draft a guy who looks like a sure fire hall of famer. If you just collecting a bunch of solid contributors and having to pay them all, where does that get you exactly? You have to factor in not only what you have, but opportunity cost of what you can get.

The Warriors did but they're certainly the exception.
I tend to agree that if we kept all our young guys we would be on the fast track to being the early 2010s Indiana Pacers... not exactly a contender though maybe close.
But if you're going to sell on players you need to sell high. If you are going to lose Russell and Randle, you need to have more to show for it than Josh Hart, which will be the end result if we don't use the cap space we got dumping Mozgov and not resigning Randle.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Not much from Allstar-Russel since the break.
Dinwiddie, LeVert and Allen are more valuable to me.

Not going to say he's bad, but not an Allstar in my eyes
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject:

cirehawk wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Stats is one thing, but JR was maybe the best defender we had last year.
Defence has been the weakest point this season. We could use a mobile C who can guard anyone in a PnR and spark the team on that end of the floor.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject:

I can't believe people are still talking about the D'Lo/Nick Young video
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
cirehawk wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Or by the same logic, is LeBron a good stats on bad team type player? Kobe in '04-'05?
If you're on a bad team you can either be a good stats on bad team player or you can be a bad stats on bad team player. So it's not exactly a bad thing.

Now the more interesting question is if he's an empty stats player, e.g. by not playing defense, but if that's the argument you're making then make that argument.

But how would he improve this team? Another undersized Center/Point Forward, who handles the ball a lot. We have Lebron, Kuz and Ingram to do that. We have Lonzo and Rondo to handle the rock too. Would rather have Lopez than Randle.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
Not much from Allstar-Russel since the break.
Dinwiddie, LeVert and Allen are more valuable to me.

Not going to say he's bad, but not an Allstar in my eyes

He's averaging 20.4 ppg, 7.6 apg, 2.8 rpg post-All-Star. His FG% is down slightly to 41% in 10 post-All-Star games. But if that's "not much" then it only shows how well he's been playing overall this season.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
tox wrote:
cirehawk wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

But how would he improve this team? Another undersized Center/Point Forward, who handles the ball a lot. We have Lebron, Kuz and Ingram to do that. We have Lonzo and Rondo to handle the rock too. Would rather have Lopez than Randle.

He had already proven to be effective at the small ball 5 we've tried to run with LeBron and Kuz to disastrous results.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject:

People forget about how durable Jules is. Aside from missing his first season, he's been pretty robust this year. Yes, his defense has slid this year, but surprisingly, he shoots 3s at a better % and rate than BI (35% on 2.5 attempts).

We had injuries ravage our team and having Jules with a steady 20/10 level performance would have been a good fallback.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject:

No doubt we'd be a better team this year with Randel in the lineup, especially considering all our injuries. I just think our overall diversity would still be limited. Not that the FO filled his spot with players who met our needs, but having another Point Forward doesn't seem to give us an advantage over the next 4 years.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
tox wrote:
cirehawk wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

He had already proven to be effective at the small ball 5 we've tried to run with LeBron and Kuz to disastrous results.

And 20 pts. from the bench as small ball center will had did wonders to this pudrid bench.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
People forget about how durable Jules is. Aside from missing his first season, he's been pretty robust this year. Yes, his defense has slid this year, but surprisingly, he shoots 3s at a better % and rate than BI (35% on 2.5 attempts).

We had injuries ravage our team and having Jules with a steady 20/10 level performance would have been a good fallback.

Julius is 67/67, dead last, in terms of DRPM amongst centers in the league. “Slid” doesn’t encompass how poor of a defender he is.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
trablos wrote:
I was upset losing Randle for nothing, but it would be funny to see all the complaints here of our lack of spacing and shooting with BI, LBJ, and Randle all sharing the floor.

Fun stat along those lines:

3P% This Season:

Randle: 34.7% (2.2 per game)
Lebron: 34.7% (5.8 per game)
KCP: 34.3% (4.6 per game)
Hart: 33.3% (4.5 per game)
Ball: 32.9% (4.9 per game)
Ingram: 32.2% (1.8 per game)
Kuzma: 32% (6.1 per game)

He's also hitting 46.7% of his 10-16 footers, albeit in small volume. That's higher than anyone on our team other than Kuzma (47.6%) and Lance (50%). His shooting is coming around.

When you consider Randle at center would be in place of McGee and Chandler, I don't think that would have been a problem.

Lonzo not too bad, if he can get consistent, he can def be perimeter Draymond (championship version)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Julius is 67/67, dead last, in terms of DRPM amongst centers in the league. “Slid” doesn’t encompass how poor of a defender he is.

Why is he listed primarily as a center though? What was AD playing?
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Why is he listed primarily as a center though? What was AD playing?

PF. I’m not denying that Randle is pretty nice offensively, but he is objectively one of the worst defenders in the NBA. Eyes confirm this. Our FO has made mistakes, not resigning Brook and trading Nance away were bad. Not committing long term to Randle made sense to me however. He isn’t that good overall.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 14 of 27
Jump to: