Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
We do seem to do okay with trades though, so we can survive without FA's, for now anyways.

Yeah, we've been lucky picking up the Max Muncys, Chris Taylors, etc.

And we've got cheap labor in Seager, Bellinger, Buehler, Pederson, Urias.

It's going to be interesting if they turn out to be elite players and need to be paid. We'll see how we go about it. Do we act like the A's and trade them for more prospects? Or do we try and get them to sign team friendly extensions?

Or do we let them hit free agency and get into a bidding war for their services? One thing we've seen with this FO, they don't win bidding wars.

I think if Seager and Bellinger continue to shine that they will both get the contracts they deserve via extensions. Buehler is a lock for a long term deal, just a matter of when.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

When you look at the extreme long term contracts (Pujols, Jeter, A-Rod, Braun, etc.), you see that it doesn't work out most of the time. Could have avoided something really bad, but he'll be good right now.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Alex Pavlovic

Verified account

@PavlovicNBCS
Follow Follow @PavlovicNBCS
More
I’m told Giants made a 12-year, $310 million offer to Bryce Harper. They were willing to go higher but would have had to go well over $330 million to get it done because of California taxes.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
When you look at the extreme long term contracts (Pujols, Jeter, A-Rod, Braun, etc.), you see that it doesn't work out most of the time. Could have avoided something really bad, but he'll be good right now.

I disagree on most of those contracts.

- Pujols' first major contract extension was amazing value. His current FA contract is horrible though, I agree
- Jeter's extension wasn't bad at all
- A-Rod actually outperformed his first 250 million deal by a lot. He wasn't bad in his extension either, but obviously the Yankees weren't expecting him to pop for roids and ruin the legacy incentives part of that contract.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
We do seem to do okay with trades though, so we can survive without FA's, for now anyways.

Yeah, we've been lucky picking up the Max Muncys, Chris Taylors, etc.

And we've got cheap labor in Seager, Bellinger, Buehler, Pederson, Urias.

It's going to be interesting if they turn out to be elite players and need to be paid. We'll see how we go about it. Do we act like the A's and trade them for more prospects? Or do we try and get them to sign team friendly extensions?

Or do we let them hit free agency and get into a bidding war for their services? One thing we've seen with this FO, they don't win bidding wars.

I think if Seager and Bellinger continue to shine that they will both get the contracts they deserve via extensions. Buehler is a lock for a long term deal, just a matter of when.

Seager and Bellinger are both Boras clients and Boras steers his clients towards FA. Both will be looking for 10+ year deals. Seager has 2 arbitration years left so if they're going to want an extension, they're going to have to work on one soon. Probably some time next year.

Harper turned down extensions from the Nationals to hit FA.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Alex Pavlovic

Verified account

@PavlovicNBCS
More
I’m told Giants made a 12-year, $310 million offer to Bryce Harper. They were willing to go higher but would have had to go well over $330 million to get it done because of California taxes.

Sports leagues need to have some sort of tax-offsetting languages for their contracts. States like CA and NY are at a severe disadvantage to states like Florida and Texas.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Jon Morosi
@jonmorosi
The Dodgers did not offer Bryce Harper a 10-year contract, source confirms.
@MLB

@MLBNetwork
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Good.
Need to preserve that flexibility for the future....plus if I'm offering a 10 year contract theres a certain player in Anaheim that is probably worth it.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Good.
Need to preserve that flexibility for the future....plus if I'm offering a 10 year contract theres a certain player in Anaheim that is probably worth it.

If Harper and Stanton could get 13 year deals, Trout should get a 15+ year deal (if he demands one).
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Alex Pavlovic

Verified account

@PavlovicNBCS
More

Sports leagues need to have some sort of tax-offsetting languages for their contracts. States like CA and NY are at a severe disadvantage to states like Florida and Texas.

Someone has the ol' brains cells a-workin'.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Good.

Hopefully the rumors of him being close to an extension in Anaheim are untrue.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Wonder if Kyler Murray is rethinking picking football over baseball....if I have an athletically gifted kid, I'm getting him ready for a baseball career...
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Wonder if Kyler Murray is rethinking picking football over baseball....if I have an athletically gifted kid, I'm getting him ready for a baseball career...

Eh, if Murray is not passionate about baseball but is about football, I don't blame his decision. I know there's the concussions to worry about, but he'd be playing the most protected position in the league by far at least. Happiness is more important than money, especially since he'll be making millions either way.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

But baseball's dead don't you know?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

How many minor leaguers actually make good money in their careers?

How many Dodger minor leaguers have actually gotten paid? How many Dodger 1st rd picks have actually made it to the majors?

On average, a top 10 pick in the NFL probably makes alot more in his career than a top 10 pick in mlb.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

How many Dodger minor leaguers have actually gotten paid? How many Dodger 1st rd picks have actually made it to the majors?

On average, a top 10 pick in the NFL probably makes alot more in his career than a top 10 pick in mlb.

Yep. The rules in MLB greatly favor management over the players with the slot allocation, the manipulation of service time, the difficulty in making the majors, and the fact that the player has to be with the team for 6 years of service before that first free agent contract. Before the current rules with international players, they were the ones that truly made bank on their first contract. Now they're on the same playing level as the American-born players. The only ones that could potentially make bank on their first contract seems to be those coming over from the NPB in Japan after 25.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Harper with the giants would have been interesting to see considering he's a poor hitter in that park. Glad those frauds up north aren't a serious threat yet. They'll need a 2-3 seasons to clean up their mess. They're already behind the padres in the rebuild/retool. I think San Diego will be a serious threat soon with the quality prospects they have coming up.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Harper with the giants would have been interesting to see considering he's a poor hitter in that park. Glad those frauds up north aren't a serious threat yet. They'll need a 2-3 seasons to clean up their mess. They're already behind the padres in the rebuild/retool. I think San Diego will be a serious threat soon with the quality prospects they have coming up.

Don't the Giants still have one of the weakest farm systems in the league? If that's so, it's going to take them a lot longer than 2-3 years to rebuild. All of their valuable assets are rapidly depreciating with age.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Alex Pavlovic

Verified account

@PavlovicNBCS
More

Cost of living will always be higher in NY and CA. Plus in CA unless you live in the mountains you don't have to worry about getting snowed in.But since Harper and his family live in Vegas I guess they are pretty smart to save every dollar earned.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Not just about money but quality of life after your post playing career. Football is just about one of the most brutal sports out there and few guys leave the sport without some sort of debilitating injury.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Not just about money but quality of life after your post playing career. Football is just about one of the most brutal sports out there and few guys leave the sport without some sort of debilitating injury.

That decision should be made at the Pee Wee level, not when you’re on the precipice of being a top 10 pick in the NFL.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Thirteen years, wow. Such a relatively low AAV, but he basically got a lifetime contract with a full no-trade.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yep. The rules in MLB greatly favor management over the players with the slot allocation, the manipulation of service time, the difficulty in making the majors, and the fact that the player has to be with the team for 6 years of service before that first free agent contract. Before the current rules with international players, they were the ones that truly made bank on their first contract. Now they're on the same playing level as the American-born players. The only ones that could potentially make bank on their first contract seems to be those coming over from the NPB in Japan after 25.

Yup, and in the case of Kris Bryant n Cody Bellinger, 7 yrs
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Mmmm think Machado got a better contract. He got the opt out and higher AVg
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
Mmmm think Machado got a better contract. He got the opt out and higher AVg

Also less pressure to deliver....not a lot of expectations on the Padres.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 43 of 248
Jump to: