Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:
Mmmm think Machado got a better contract. He got the opt out and higher AVg

I agree....plus he does not have to spend much of the year in Philadelphia.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
YSong wrote:
Mmmm think Machado got a better contract. He got the opt out and higher AVg

I agree....plus he does not have to spend much of the year in Philadelphia.

The opt out does give some leverage to the player and, thus, it makes the contract a bit more valuable. That said, the guaranteed money difference will be more than $30MM due to state taxes in CA.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject:

Harper's contract. Actually quite reasonable.

Code:
2019   26   Philadelphia Phillies   $11,538,462      
2020   27   Philadelphia Phillies   $27,538,461      
2021   28   Philadelphia Phillies   $27,538,462      
2022   29   Philadelphia Phillies   $27,538,461      
2023   30   Philadelphia Phillies   $27,538,462      
2024   31   Philadelphia Phillies   $27,538,461      
2025   32   Philadelphia Phillies   $27,538,462      
2026   33   Philadelphia Phillies   $27,538,461      
2027   34   Philadelphia Phillies   $27,538,462      
2028   35   Philadelphia Phillies   $27,538,461      
2029   36   Philadelphia Phillies   $23,538,462      
2030   37   Philadelphia Phillies   $23,538,461      
2031   38   Philadelphia Phillies   $23,538,462      

SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject:

it's a shame this front office gonna trout out basically the same lineup this upcoming season. sure pieces were moved and added, but not enough to move the needle imo. we're so damn close to a WS title, why not go for broke and get us over the hump? i'm sick and tire of this nickle and dime crap.

Last edited by SGV-Laker fan on Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject:

I would have been happy to get Bryce but not at that price.

I don't blame the front office this off season. I'm hopeful they'll pull another mid-season trade, hopefully this will be the one that puts us over the hump.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

I don't blame the front office this off season. I'm hopeful they'll pull another mid-season trade, hopefully this will be the one that puts us over the hump.

We can't keep trading prospects though. We've traded away alot in the last few years.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

We can't keep trading prospects though. We've traded away alot in the last few years.

Good point, eventually it's going to cost us.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Indeed they have, but I can't think of a single prospect who would make a difference on this team. Generally, I'm more or less ambivalent regarding this current administration, but it seems they've done a pretty good job protecting the special prospects.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Indeed they have, but I can't think of a single prospect who would make a difference on this team. Generally, I'm more or less ambivalent regarding this current administration, but it seems they've done a pretty good job protecting the special prospects.

Yordan Alvarez
Yusniel Diaz could be special
I wish we could have kept Andrew Heaney for Howie Kendrick

Yeah other than that they’ve done a great job identifying which prospects to keep. Although, I don’t know if it’s all Dodgers. It could also be that the other teams are asking for the wrong players.

And I don’t know if they can keep this up. They’ve held onto the really elite prospects such as Seager, Urias, Pederson, Bellinger, Buehler.

Thing is, if you keep trading prospects, eventually you’ll trade a prospect before that prospect became elite. For instance, Bellinger wasn’t always an elite prospect. He became one. I can see them trading a prospect like Bellinger before he becomes elite. It takes some scouting by the other team but that’s what happened w/ Yordan Alvarez (not saying he’s elite, but he’s ranked pretty high).
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
it's a shame this front office gonna trout out basically the same lineup this upcoming season. sure pieces were moved and added, but not enough to move the needle imo. we're so damn close to a WS title, why not go for broke and get us over the hump? i'm sick and tire of this nickle and dime crap.

Some can argue we got less offensive firepower than last year. They traded Puig, Wood, Kemp, and Farmer to have money to go after big free agents which they ultimately struck out on. Its a good thing the NL West hasn't really upgraded their teams so Dodgers will probably win the division once again.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject:

The Puig trade kinda hurts since we didn't get a big name out of it and he was a big part of this team. But he never reached his true potential for a full season. Maybe a change of scenery will help him.

Pollock will help a lot if he can stay healthy. Seager should be better than Machado was last year if he can stay healthy. Bellinger needs to step up and be more disciplined at the plate.

I feel really good about Joe Kelly helping the bullpen, we have a true set up man again like we did with Morrow two seasons ago.

The talent is there in all phases of the game, the players need to start delivering. We still have crazy depth despite losing Puig, Kemp, and Wood.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Some can argue we got less offensive firepower than last year. They traded Puig, Wood, Kemp, and Farmer to have money to go after big free agents which they ultimately struck out on. Its a good thing the NL West hasn't really upgraded their teams so Dodgers will probably win the division once again.

I don't think that was the purpose of the trade. The purpose was to get under the lux tax, to allow us the flexibility to look into other roster upgrades. They were never serious about Harper until the possibility of a short-term deal was there (we wisely never offered a 10 year deal). I don't what happened with the Realmuto trade but they must've liked the Phillies package better. And I don't think the Indians were ever serious about trading Kluber unless they got a king's ransom.

I don't mind the Reds trade too much, Wood was a middle of the road starter and Kemp crashed back to Earth after the first half of last season. And Farmer was just a guy. It would've been nice to have kept Puig but if Pollock stays healthy he should provide similar value and is a righty that shouldn't have reverse splits which will help. I will miss Puig a lot just from an entertainment stnadpoint though. And I love that he pissed off the opposing fans so much.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

I don't blame Bryce Harper for taking the longer term deal.....some things you can't control like injuries and he pretty much guaranteed he will get paid.If he was injured on the shorter term deal there was no guarantee a team will make a contract offer to offset that $150 million difference.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject:

I still do not get why the Dodgers did the Puig, Kemp, Wood and Farmer trade for Bailey. I have to think you could have moved those pieces for more or better prospects than Jeter Downs and Josiah Gray....while not having to take on Bailey's salary.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I still do not get why the Dodgers did the Puig, Kemp, Wood and Farmer trade for Bailey. I have to think you could have moved those pieces for more or better prospects than Jeter Downs and Josiah Gray....while not having to take on Bailey's salary.

Nor do most baseball people.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Nor do most baseball people.

The only reason that move made sense is if they were clearing RF for Harper.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject:

^
Yup, it's a head-scratcher. I do think one of the Reds' former prospects is rated pretty highly, but they should have absolutely gotten more for a position player who has put up 6.4 WAR over the past two seasons (many teams value each WAR as being worth about $8-9MM per year). Oh, and for a starting pitcher with a 3.29 career ERA in over 800 major league innings, who has never posted an ERA higher than 3.84, and who has never posted a FIP of higher than 3.69 in any season. Yes, and they took back a horrible contract.

You can certainly defend certain non-moves, such as not being willing to meet Harper's asking price and the like. But it's a tough thing for the fans when the team hasn't won a World Series since 1988, is coming off back-to-back World Series appearances, yet doesn't seem willing to make that one move that might take the team over the top, and has made staying under the luxury tax a huge priority over the past two seasons. Particularly when you also think about the fact that the team's games still can't be seen locally by well over 50% of the fanbase, and when ticket prices and parking prices continue to go up.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

I was wondering where was Caleb this spring, then there was yesterday:

Code:
Pitchers                   IP   H   ER   K   ERA

C. Ferguson (L, 0-0, B)   1.0   4   3   2   27.00

Now I wish I was still wondering.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

I know it is early and we have an extremely small sample size, but Joc is going to need a least one single base hit during the spring if he wants significant playing time when the gates open.

He's well below the Mendoza line; hell, he is not even up to the Mini Me line right now.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
I know it is early and we have an extremely small sample size, but Joc is going to need a least one single base hit during the spring if he wants significant playing time when the gates open.

He's well below the Mendoza line; hell, he is not even up to the Mini Me line right now.

Another Friedman blunder, supposedly Joc was on his way out with prospects to Detroit for their stud right fielder. At any rate our 3 best deserving starting OFers should be Belli, Pollock and Verdugo.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

interesting....was looking at box scores on ESPN and noticed he appears with a .000 batting average in the spring on the site....but on MLB.com, they list him with 1 hit and 13 at bats.

fwiw, he appears to have had a very bad spring last season also. There are certain guys that I know to not even look at their Spring Training stats because they are bad every year, then they produce in the season....Joey Votto always scares many Reds fans with his poor spring training numbers.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject:

general spring training question....I get that it is about 4 weeks long, but when do the games begin to resemble more legitimate games....like starting pitchers staying out there for 4-5 innings? Is that like half way through....or more like the last week?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
general spring training question....I get that it is about 4 weeks long, but when do the games begin to resemble more legitimate games....like starting pitchers staying out there for 4-5 innings? Is that like half way through....or more like the last week?

Kershaw threw this weekend. No shoulder soreness
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

I think it is funny how they word it..."he played catch". I guess that is standard language since I have seen it many times before, but it just reminds me of being a kid in the back yard.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

I think it is funny how they word it..."he played catch". I guess that is standard language since I have seen it many times before, but it just reminds me of being a kid in the back yard.

Finally, the Dodgers are beginning to concede the obvious, "Kershaw may not be ready for Opening Day." At this point in spring training there really is no need to quality the statement with a "may."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 44 of 248
Jump to: